Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Cause by Pussycat123

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I have often wondered about the motivations for some of The Marauders more controversial actions. Do they really believe in what they are doing, or is it more for the attention? Sometimes it is quite obviously the latter – when they tried to set up the caretaker with McGonagall, for example, it was for the attention, not because they felt the two were soul mates who were destined to be together. But other times it can be more difficult to determine the truth. I sometimes wonder this about my own Causes; do the Marauders help me protest and petition because they believe in what I’m trying to achieve, or because it really rubs figures of authority the wrong way when young people point out their faults? It’s possible – and, in fact, probable – that the answer to this is both.

Chapter Eighteen: Uncle Morris

[Remus]

I am trying not to think about her. Only the thing is, the more I try not to think about her, the more I do. And the more I come round to the idea. This is ridiculous, really. I wish it had never even occurred to me. What was I thinking? I don’t like Marty. Not in that way. It’s impossible. She’s crazy. I’m a monster. She has that weird thing about pumpkins. I’m a monster.

It would all just be far too difficult.

Why did the thought ever have to cross my mind? It was much nicer before, when there was no question that she was just a really good friend.

I am trying not to mull this over some more (and failing), when someone knocks on the door of the Hospital Wing and Madam Pomfrey bustles across the ward to let them in.

“Miss Price,” she says begrudgingly. “Come on in. Lupin, I presume?”

Marty must have nodded, but I don’t see because I pretend to be asleep. Although I’m not sure why.

“Hi, Remus,” I hear her say from over by the chair when Madam Pomfrey has left. “I thought you would be awake by now, but I guess not. I made you a card. Well ... Lily helped.”

I sit up in a panic and whirl around to face her. She lets out a surprised little shriek.

“You told Lily about me?” I yell at her.

“Not the truth,” she insists, once she has recovered. “I just said you were ill. Calm down. Were you pretending to be asleep?”

Oops. Yes. This is awkward. “Uh ... no. How did the prank go?”

“The what? Oh, yeah, it went fine. Everybody loved it.”

I frown. Yesterday she had been practically having kittens that she had been asked to be the trigger for their Hallowe’en prank. Now she barely seems to care at all.

“And what did they think about us not being there? And the banner?”

She smiles half-heartedly. “Worked like a chime. Very enigmatic.”

“Do you mean charm?”

“Probably. You know, Aunt Tabby is always mixing her words up. I wouldn’t be very surprised if it was passed on to–” she stops. “Yeah. Well. Yeah.”

My frown deepens. “Marty, what’s going on?”

She shakes her head. “Nothing. I got a letter from her, that’s all. Nothing new. Have you heard from your Mum lately?”

“Uh ... yeah, last week, she says hi ... didn’t she write to you too?”

“Oh. Yeah. She did. Is there, uh ... is there a chance of ... do you think she would mind ...”

Marty is struggling for the words. I know that she is trying to ask if she can stay with us again over Christmas without sounding like she’s asking to stay with us, because she doesn’t want to be a burden.

I don’t know why, but I’m not nearly as comfortable with this idea as I was a month ago when I just assumed it would happen and I didn’t mind a jot. But ever since I had that darned thought, the idea scares me a little. Like I don’t want to be alone with her for too long. But I don’t know why.

All right, I know exactly why. The same reason I pretended to be asleep just now. Because I’m scared of what will happen if we’re alone for too long.

All right, fine. I’m terrified. Happy?

“You’ll have to ask her,” I say. Wait, no, don’t ask her. She’ll welcome you back with open arms! Which is exactly why you should ask her. I mean, not ask her. I mean ...

Dammit.

“Sure ...” Marty seems distracted again. I want to get to the bottom of it and help her, but I’m far too tired right now. I slump back in my pillows.

“Can I see the card?” I ask.

She passes it to me, wordlessly. She has that distracted look on her face. The one she usually gets in between realising some injustice and deciding something needs to be done. A sort of shocked, helpless, desperate look, as if she’s waiting for someone to run in and fix it for her, before she resigns to the fact that she’ll have to do it herself ... again. I feel a huge urge to be the first person to take the burden from her without her having to do anything at all, but I don’t even know what needs to be done. And the look on her face usually only stays there for a second or two. She’s looked like that ever since she walked in.

Whatever has happened is either so huge, she needs a little longer to compose herself ... or she doesn’t think anything can be done.

I sincerely hope it’s the former.

The card is really very nice. Very glittery and shimmery and Marty. When I open it, little fireworks shoot out of the inside crease and explode before my eyes in lots of gold sparkles. I can see that Lily definitely helped with the charms, but the ideas and twinkle-factor are Marty all over. Or at least, they’re the old Marty.

There is another knocking on the double doors of the ward.

“Ding-Dong! Ding-Dong!” someone outside sings loudly – James, as far as I can tell by the horrible off-key sound to his notes.

“Ding-Ding-Ding-Dong!” someone else harmonises. Peter, by the high notes he is almost hitting.

“Ding-a-Ling-a-Ling-Dong!” someone else harmonises. Sirius, by process of elimination (and the self-important way this third of the trio is trying to steal all the limelight). They continue their individual ditties on a round loop.

“What on Earth is that?” asks Marty, sounding horrified. I’m happy to hear a more solid emotion in her voice than before, even if it is mild alarm.

“I dread to think,” I reply.

Madam Pomfrey storms across the ward angrily, before wrenching the door open.

“Keep that racket down!” she says.

“Sorry, Poppy,” Sirius replies, grinning and patting her on the shoulder as they all swan in, as self-assured as ever. I shove the card under my pillow.

“Sorry,” I say quickly to Marty. “I like it. But it’s not very manly.”

She smiles and shrugs. Sirius grabs a chair from beside the empty bed next to me and straddles it. I wish he wouldn’t. Peter sits at the foot of my own bed, while James hops on to the empty one and crosses his legs like he’s meditating, even though he’s wearing shoes. Sirius throws down the Prophet onto my bed, open at a section about halfway through when all the important and intelligent news has run out. Most of the page is taken up by a picture of Celestina Warbeck throwing up over the bouncer outside the only solely Wizarding nightclub in London, ‘Lumos!’. She is doing this whilst trying to cover her identity to the photographer (but not covering her knickers).

“Um,” I say. “Delightful as that image is, is there any reason I should be interested in ... uh ... ‘Celestina War-barf’s Latest Night On The Town’?”

“Not that,” Sirius says, “although the poor love is a little worse for wear. I reckon she needs a nice, caring hand to take care of her and guide her back down the road of normality. No, it’s that small bit in the corner. And it’s mostly for Marty’s benefit.”

I see where he is looking and manage to read the headline (if you can call it that) ‘Barmy Ex-Wizengamot’s Hogsmeade House To Be Demolished’ before Marty takes the paper and starts reading it, frowning deeply. James pulls a face as if to say, “Sorry about this.” Peter looks equally sympathetic.

Sirius sort of looks like he wants another chance to see Celestina War-barf’s – I mean, Warbeck’s – knickers. But I decide to pretend he is concerned for Marty’s Cause, too, because that’s much less worrying.

“We do too have something better to do!” Marty cries. Sirius winces, while James and Peter look similarly guilty at having exposed her to whatever that tiny article displays.

“What?” I ask, being the only person not to know what’s going on.

“Listen to this,” Marty says sounding disgusted. “‘On the 1st December, the humble home of Ex-Wizengamot, Eugene Cardrac, will be demolished to make room on Hogsmeade’s High Street for two new shops. Despite one or two protests from some teens at the school with nothing better to do, the demolition will continue as planned. Cardrac was laughed out of the Wizengamot in 1867 for his unorthodox ideas, probably spurred on by senile dementia.’ That’s it! That’s all they have to say!”

“Preposterous,” Sirius insists solemnly, whilst looking again at the revealing picture accompanying the page’s more dominant article.

“Terrible,” Peter agrees, thankfully looking like he might actually mean it.

“They didn’t even mention that the spokespeople for the campaign are also the Marauders, Hogwarts’ most infamous quartet,” James says, equally disgusted.

“Yes,” I say dryly. “The real crime here is that you’re not getting credit where it’s due, not that a noble man’s home and heritage is being destroyed and his forward thinking yet undeniably true ideas are being ridiculed even now, over 100 years after they were first put forward, in an age which is supposed to be ten times more tolerant.”

There is silence as everyone present turns to stare at me. Even Marty looks surprised at my language.

“You’ve been spending way too much time with this one, mate,” Sirius tells me, shaking his head incredulously and indicating Marty.

I shift a little uncomfortably. “I care about this particular Cause, that’s all,” I say begrudgingly. “What they’re doing is wrong.”

And, as has happened far too many times before, Marty throws her arms around me and bursts into tears.

[Marty]

I really don’t want to count the number of times I’ve thrown myself at poor Remus and started sobbing in this past year, but at least this time I pull myself together quite quickly.

“Sorry,” I mutter, as everyone looks uncomfortable. “Do you really mean it?” I ask him.

“Um. Yes.”

I smile happily through my tears. “Then we need to get started. A month is so little time to plan something on the scale we need!”

And, conveniently, it will be the perfect distraction from the letter I received this morning. I push the contents from my mind and beam at everyone present.

“So,” I say. “A sit-in? A lie-in? Placards? I think we’re past a petition now, my friends, this requires good old-fashioned action. What say you?”

“Yeah,” Peter says unsurely. “Um, what’s a sit-in?”

“It’s where everyone sits down and refuses to move,” James explains. Peter looks pleased.

“That sounds easy. I think we should do that. We could bring a picnic.”

“It usually ends with the protestors being forced to move by the authorities, sometimes with violence,” I say.

“Oh.”

“But the important thing,” I stress to him, “is that we never retaliate with violence.”

“So, wait.” Now even Sirius sounds confused. “We just let them push us around and beat us up and we can’t even defend ourselves, we just refuse to move?”

“Absolutely,” I say happily. “It makes them the bad guys in the eyes of the public, so that more people are on our side. The Muggles thought it up. It’s very effective.”

My friends seem to be considering how insane I am, on a scale of one to crazy.

“Let’s do it,” Remus says.

“What?” Sirius cries.

“Come on, Padfoot, it’s not like they’re really going to use violence on us. In the words of the Prophet, they have better things to be doing, right?” James reasons.

“Exactly,” I say. “We won the last protest over this because the officials couldn’t be bothered to deal with us. Why not get the same result by the same means, only slightly more dramatic?”

“I’m up for it.”

“Thank you, Peter. Sirius?”

He looks around at us all and sighs. “Is it technically breaking the rules?” he asks hopefully.

“Well, it’s hardly smiled upon,” I say, knowing this will help sway him into agreeing.

He looks tempted. “Good, good ... keep going ...”

“It will annoy a lot of Ministry people, not to mention the teachers,” James says excitedly to himself as well as Sirius.

Sirius grins. I can tell he is just doing it for fun now. “Excellent, yes, this is sounding persuasive ...”

“We’ll have to skip classes,” Remus chips in. “Since the first of December is a Thursday.”

“Count me in!”

It doesn’t take long for Remus to be deemed fit to leave, so we travel down to the Great Hall in time for Lunch, still discussing our plans at length. It’s nice not to have to think about the letter which is still in my bag. And if I do think about it, I try to distract myself as quickly as possible. I just don’t want to think about it right now.

I see Lily sitting on her own with several books spread around her. She has some food on a plate, but is distractedly flicking through one of the large volumes, not really concentrating on that either.

I sit down next to her and push the large jug of pumpkin juice as far away as possible, for the sole purpose of annoying Remus. This is easily achieved and his eyes go a bit crazy. Yet, as ever, he says nothing about it. I try not to giggle to myself too much. In fact, I’m practically light-headed at the thought of organising a sit-in. I’ve attended them before, of course, but never organised one by myself. It’s so exciting!

“Hey, Lily,” James says cautiously. She looks up.

“Hi, guys.”

“Whatcha reading?” asks Peter, leaning over her shoulder and furrowing his brow.

She closes the book with a bang. “I’m not. I’m just trying to look busy.”

“I do that sometimes,” James says quickly. I am reminded of the week before, when Lily pointed out loudly that she and James could never be together because they have nothing in common.

“Uh ... that’s nice for you.”

She catches my eye. I shrug.

“Yeah,” James says enthusiastically. “There are loads of things I do that you do too. Isn’t that right, Padfoot?”

Sirius looks rather surprised at being included in the conversation so suddenly (and randomly). “Well I don’t bloody know,” he says incredulously.

“See?” James says proudly, as if Sirius had enthusiastically agreed and even given an example. “Tonnes of stuff.”

“Oh yeah?” Lily raises her eyebrows and smirks, catching my eye again and winking. “Like what?”

“Well.” James looks stumped, but hopeful. He probably thinks the wink was for him. “We both like to ... study.”

“You hate studying,” I point out to him innocently. Lily is trying extremely hard to stop herself from laughing at his pathetic attempts to bond.

“Thanks, Marty. Anyway, it’s not just our love of studying. We both like to interior decorate.”

“Actually, that’s true,” I say seriously this time. I’m always hearing random stories about James’s decisions to give their dorm a new ‘theme’ (apparently it’s gone from Quidditch, to dragons, to ‘famous cheeses of the eighteenth century’ in just one term, although that last one hasn’t lasted long and he is already thinking about moving on to well-known Gryffindors, even though the cheeses have only been stinking up their dorm for a week or so). And Lily once practically forced a rather terrified Roxie to put up some posters around her bed, because it didn’t feel ‘homely enough’ without them.

“Thanks, Marty,” James says again, but without the sarcasm this time. “And we both like helping Marty with her Cause. Especially the Eugene Cardrac one which is actually sort of worthwhile.”

I take offence at this statement, but am reminded that Lily needs to be brought up to date on the sit-in idea.

“Ah, yes, that reminds me, Lily,” I begin. “I don’t know how thoroughly you read the Prophet this morning, but –”

“Marty, where are your manners? I was speaking,” James chides, cutting across me very politely himself.

“What was in the Prophet?” Lily asks me interestedly. Apparently James has gone from entertainingly desperate to just pathetic (we all knew it would happen eventually).

“We both like to crochet!” James insists wildly. Sirius starts to laugh so hard at this that he has to put down his sandwich and cover his face in his hands.

“It was about Cardrac House,” I say, leaning closer to Lily in order to be heard over Sirius’s (and Remus’s and Peter’s and Luanne’s) laughter.

“Oh? Have they caved to our demands?”

It’s so touching to hear people quoting your own terminology back at you. Especially when they’re being serious, instead of just mocking you for speaking like an overzealous campaign leaflet. Which I’ve been told I do, though I’ve never noticed it myself.

“Unfortunately not,” I say. “The opposite. They’ve scheduled a demolition for a month from now.”

Lily looks appalled. “No! They can’t! After we sent petitions and did that protest and everything!”

“They put that down to teens with nothing better to do,” Remus says, having recovered, while Lily looks even more outraged. Meanwhile, James is sulking over being ignored again and Peter is trying to convince him that crocheting is actually a very manly pastime and he’s sure he had an uncle who made the most beautiful bags in between his intensive workouts at an all-male gym.

“So what are we going to do?” Lily asks. “Another protest? Do you want me to start making signs?”

“Perfect,” I say. “Only this time, it’s slightly more illegal. We’ll have to skip classes and it will sort of resemble a sit-in.”

“A sit-in!” Lily looks thrilled. “That is so cool! Will there be riot control?”

“For Merlin’s sakes, Peter, I don’t really do crochet!” James yells randomly, setting Sirius (and Remus and Luanne) off again and distracting us momentarily. “And if you’re talking about the Uncle Morris we met last Christmas, then going to an all-male gym just proves that he rides his broomstick backwards.” More to himself than to Peter, he adds, “I knew that question about cocktails was some kind of double entendre.”

There is a short break in our more serious protest discussion, while Lily slides from the bench onto the floor because she is laughing so hard that she can no longer balance.

I don’t blame her. I am finding it difficult to stay upright too. Maybe it would be easier to join her on the floor under the table ...

How could anyone ever worry about a terrifying letter they received from they’re aunt which they definitely aren’t thinking about right now, when they have friends like these surrounding them?

[Remus]

In exactly one month we are being drenched with buckets of rain in front of Cardrac House. It’s bloody freezing, but Marty doesn’t seem to have noticed. The house isn’t all that big – Cardrac was never very wealthy, which was apparently another reason why he wasn’t taken seriously and the Ministry were quite happy to turn him out on his ear without a second thought, according to Marty – so it doesn’t take many of us to block the Ministry’s path to the house. But there are certainly enough teens with nothing better to do to cause a stir with the officials who’ve been sent.

Marty is in her element, more so even than last time, because last time she was rather adorably ill. This time she’s totally healthy, despite the cold wind and rain.

She’s still kind of adorable though. Not that I actually think that or anything.

“Look,” one of the officials says to her, crouching down on his knees so that he is on her level. “What d’yer want? How much d’yer want to call it off and let us do our job?”

“We don’t want money,” she says calmly. “We want protection for the house and recognition for Eugene Cardrac’s inspiring ideas and reasoning.”

“And ’ow much is that worth, sweetheart? Twenty Galleons?”

“I’m not going to be bought like some five year old,” she says defiantly. “You’re just going to have to explain to your bosses that Martina Price refuses, on behalf of the wizarding youth of Great Britain, to allow such atrocities as this to take place.”

I love it when she starts talking like that. It’s so funny. That guy doesn’t have a chance against her and her Cause-speak.

“Fifty?” he asks, after apparently not hearing a word she said.

“You know,” Marty says, “you could learn a lot from Eugene Cardrac about prejudice and stereotyping. Just because someone was bitten by a werewolf doesn’t make him a monster. And just because I’m a young girl doesn’t mean I’m an idiot. I want to speak to someone in charge.”

“I’m in charge,” the Ministry worker says, clearly getting annoyed and dropping the ‘sweetheart’ tactic.

“No,” Marty says kindly. “You just have a clipboard and a megaphone. I mean someone who actually has some real power.”

Me and Sirius both laugh at this. We are sitting either side of her at the front of the sea of kids, because I am extremely protective of her and Sirius is the most intimidating. Now the Ministry worker looks angry.

“Why ain’t you in class, anyway? Do the school know yer ’ere? I think I’ll just tell ’em,” he says, standing up.

Uh oh. McGonagall would pull the plug on all this in a matter of seconds. As soon as the school figure out why a bunch of their students are missing, the whole thing will be over and Marty’s plan will have failed, after a whole month of enthusiasm leading up to this. I can’t let that happen so soon.

“The school already knows!” I say quickly. “They’re behind us. We learnt about Cardrac in History of Magic and they all agree with us. For the record, he was far more open minded than most people in the Ministry even now.”

“If they know yer ’ere,” the man says, sneering. “Then why ain’t there a single one getting wet alongside you? You can’t fool me that easy. Smithings? Get down the school and let ’em know. If we don’t demolish summat today we’ll be for it from Jenkins.”

“Howard Jenkins?” Marty asks. The man looks down at her, surprised. “He’s involved in this? Can I speak to him?”

“No, yer can’t speak to anyone. ’Specially not ’im.”

“Who is he?” asks Sirius.

“Quite high up, but not high enough to make the headlines,” Marty says. “But high enough to call the whole thing off if he wants to. He likes three sugars in his tea.”

I grin. “He came to Taffy’s? You know him?”

Marty looks at me despairingly. “Everyone came to Taffy’s. I don’t know everyone. But Howard Jenkins was a regular. If we can speak to him, we might have a chance.”

“Well ... go for it!” I say. I had doubts before which I hadn’t dared voice, but maybe somehow, we might be able to pull this whole thing off after all.

“Excuse me!” Marty says loudly. “Excuse me!”

“Oi!” Sirius yells. “She’s talking to you!”

The Ministry worker ignores them both. Someone pokes me in the back.

“Ow!” I turn around. “Oh, Lily. What’s wrong?”

“What’s going on?” she asks excitedly. “Are Marty and Sirius starting a riot? Can I join in? We’re all here, it’s not fair if only they get to make some noise.”

I glance around at Marty and Sirius. They are still being ignored.

“Start chanting for Howard Jenkins,” I say, smiling. “That ought to shake them up.”

“Who’s Howard Jenkins?” asks James, who sneakily got to sit next to Lily (when she told him to move he insisted that he couldn’t, because it was a sit-in and Marty had told him not to get up until he was forced to. She muttered something about ‘you haven’t seen no force yet’, but she let him stay).

I am getting rather into this whole rebellious protestor thing. “Who cares?” I ask, grinning. We start chanting. Marty looks thrilled and rather proud as everyone else catches on and joins in. The Ministry worker looks frustrated ... and a little worried. He shouldn’t be, of course, because we were given a very long talk about how we weren’t going to use violence in any circumstances, just reason and stubbornness.

Still.

It’s fun to be a rebel.

[Marty]

“How-ard Jen-kins, How-ard Jen-kins, How-ard ...”

It’s so moving to hear all those people chanting for me to speak to Howard Jenkins. We had such a fantastic turn out! Lily appears to be particularly enthusiastic. Even Remus, who is normally so refined (I mean, he carries a HANDKERCHIEF) seems to be getting into the spirit of protesting teen with nothing better to do.

Just as we are all getting very excitable and there is some rather flattering foot-stomping on my behalf, a tall figure appears at the end of the street.

“Oops, here she comes,” Sirius shouts over the top of all the noise, grinning with anticipation. I start to get a little worried, but I think of my Mum and know that I won’t back down that easily.

“Excellent,” says the Ministry worker in ‘charge’. “This’ll sort you lot out, won’t it?”

“Keep going!” I call over my shoulder. “How-ard Jen-kins, How-ard Jen-kins!”

My anxiety gets worse and worse the closer McGonagall gets to us, because I know we’ll be punished for skipping classes and I’ve never quite so flauntingly broken the rules like this. But Sirius and the others do it pretty much daily and the teachers still love them. Secretly. Besides. It’s a good cause. In fact, it’s The Cause.

McGonagall is close enough to catch my eye.

I’m terrified. I can think of nothing to do but smile hopefully. She is evidently trying very hard not to smile back. Instead, she starts talking to the Ministry worker. There is quite a lot of noise around us, but I can just about tell what they are saying, with some help from some handy lip-reading and straining of ears.

“So, what’s the problem?” she asks.

“What d’you think’s the problem? We can’t do what we’re paid for with them lot blocking that old ruin.”

“Well, have you tried talking to them?”

“’Course I bleedin’ ’ave!”

She raises her eyebrows. “I don’t think that sort of language is necessary, do you?”

He sighs. “Can yer just get rid of ’em?”

“Certainly.”

She comes forwards and kneels in front of me. I don’t need to know how she realised I was the one behind it all.

“Hello, Marty. You know, I was wondering why you and your friends hadn’t attended my lesson. You realise you’ll have to make up the work in detention?”

“Yes, Professor,” I say.

“Now tell me. What do you want with Howard Jenkins?”

“Marty knows him, Professor!” Sirius says, unable to restrain himself and leave the negotiations to me. “We think he’ll help us!”

“And what do you need help with?”

This time Remus jumps in for me. “Preventing the destruction of our valuable heritage, in the form of Cardrac House. After all, Professor, if we ignore the past, how can we prepare for the future?”

It’s hilarious when people quote stuff I’ve said, it really is.

McGonagall looks surprised at his language too. “I see.” She also sounds rather amused. “And how will Howard Jenkins help?”

Lily pokes me in the back from behind. “What’s going on?”

“We’re negotiating,” I reply.

“Wow, seriously? Can I help?”

“Keep chanting. That seems to be annoying everyone.”

I face McGonagall again. “We’re not moving,” I insist.

“No,” she agrees calmly. “I wasn’t exactly under the impression that you were. Can we come to an agreement?”

“If it involves cancelling the demolition,” I say, “then yes.”

“I’m not sure that will be possible,” she says. “Whatever it is which will replace Cardrac House, it must be important to the Ministry.”

“Shops,” I say. “That’s it. Over history.”

“What is it you really want, Marty?” asks McGonagall meaningfully. “Do you want to stop the demolition of a house which has seen better days and is uninhabitable? Or do you want some kind of recognition for the man who once lived there?”

“Well,” I say, feeling rather stumped at this slightly random question. “Both.”

“But is leaving the house as it is really achieving the latter? Did anyone take any notice before all these new buildings were planned? Except for you, of course.”

“Well,” I admit begrudgingly. “Not really.”

“And if the building remained as it is, would they take more notice? Or would it be left to degenerate even further? How is that any more respectful than simply getting rid of it?”

She has a point. I know she does. Remus knows it too and when I catch his eye, he shrugs as if to say ‘I guess she’s right’. Even though I see the logic, I can’t help but feel slightly betrayed by this gesture. Sirius has got bored of the negotiations and is chanting with everybody else, so is therefore unavailable for opinions.

“So what can we do?” I ask desperately. “If no one will listen either way, what are we supposed to do?”

“Well,” she says thoughtfully, “What about some kind of plaque?”

I exchange a look with Remus. “Uh,” I say.

“What kind of plaque?” he asks, since he seems to have taken the role of deputy negotiator. Thankfully.

“One dedicated to the life and home of Eugene Cardrac. I’m sure if we speak to Mr Thandy over there–” she points at the Ministry worker we were arguing with who is watching us with suspicion “–then he’ll be perfectly happy to agree, if it means he can do his job. Marty, you could be in charge of what it says.”

I look at Remus. He shrugs again.

“What do you think?” I ask unsurely.

Because I have no idea. I know that she’s right. Even if we stopped them today, they’d come back tomorrow. It’s not like I really know Howard Jenkins would change anything for me just because I used to serve him coffee. But this Eugene Cardrac campaign has been so popular. Everyone’s become really interested in it. Not like the others. No one really believed in those except me. But this one ... random first and second years I’ve never met before have been looking up to me because of it. Look at all the people who turned up to the sit-in. I can’t just cave in now.

Remus seems to be thinking about it hard. “I don’t think you’ll get a better offer,” he eventually says. Once again, I feel slightly offended by his lack of faith, but I know that it’s true deep down. “And,” he continues thoughtfully, “people would see it and read it, then think about him. Maybe read up on his history. Get to know his beliefs. Like Professor McGonagall said, it’s more than they do now.”

“Exactly,” she agrees. “Shall I speak to Mr Thandy?”

“It’s your decision,” Remus assures me.

I look at him and then at McGonagall, then back again. “All right,” I say finally, nodding at her. “See if he’ll agree.”

She stands up and walks over to where he is standing, disgruntled, in the rain.

Lily pokes me in the back again so that I turn around.

“What’s happening?” she asks. “I can’t hear anything good back here. Are they getting Howard Jenkins? Who even is he? Do you think he’ll help us?”

I shake my head. “We don’t need him. We came to our own arrangements.”

“They’re cancelling?” she asks gleefully. “That’s brilliant!”

“No, they’re not cancelling, they’re going ahead with it.”

“How come?” asks James, leaning in closer and accidentally-on-purpose touching his leg with Lily’s. She shifts away from him and he grins at her until she rolls her eyes and fights not to smile.

“They’re putting a plaque up instead,” I say. “In memory of him.”

“A plaque?” asks Lily. “That’s the big compromise?”

She looks disappointed. So am I. I’ve failed Cardrac. I knew it. I’ve failed everyone.

“Oh,” I say, remembering before I turn around. “And we’re all in detention.”

Much later, Remus and I are sitting in a corner of the Common Room, writing and scribbling on a piece of parchment, trying to decide what the plaque should actually say.

“I think ‘imperative’ is a better word than ‘important’,” Remus says. “It’s smarter sounding.”

I scribble out the word ‘important’, but there is no room to write in the new word, because the page is so full of words and crossings-out anyway.

I throw my quill down, scrunch up the parchment and hurl it across the room. It hits a third year in the head and he looks around gormlessly for a while, but doesn’t manage to work out what has happened.

“Come on,” Remus says gently. “We’re almost there.”

“What’s the point?” I ask. “No one’s going to read it anyway.”

“I’ll read it,” he insists. “Every time I go past. In fact, I’ll deliberately plan my route so that wherever I’m going in Hogsmeade, I’ll always pass it and I’ll always stop to read it. Maybe I’ll set up a rota so that there’s always someone standing in front of it reading. We could have shifts. It would be very organised. James would love it.”

“Why would James love it?” I ask, wondering what it is about organisation that might fascinate James more than anyone else.

“I dunno,” Remus admits. “He loves all sorts of crazy things. You wouldn’t think he was into self-flagellating musicals, either, to look at him.”

“Self-what musicals?”

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it.” I look at him suspiciously for a while, but he refuses to tell me any more. “The point is, people will read it. We have to make it good. We’re almost there. Are you sure there’s not something else up?”

In truth, there is. I still haven’t told him about that letter I received last month, or replied to it either.

“It’s just,” I say reluctantly. “I wanted more than some stupid plaque.”

“This plaque,” he insists, “is not stupid. We did well. More than most people could say. Old McGonagall was great. At least we got something. Maybe it’s better this way. It’s like she said, it was practically uninhabitable anyway. Is there something else?”

Yes. “No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Well ... there was this letter. Last time I heard from Aunt Tabby.”

“Wasn’t that about a month ago? What about it? Is she okay?”

“She’s fine. She’s doing well. Only ...”

“Only what?”

“She wants me to go back to work in the holidays. Back to Taffy’s.”

*~*~*


AN: Okay, not exactly that shocking, but I had to end the chapter somewhere and by refusing to go back over the summer, Marty has made herself completely terrified of the place. What should she do? Leave me a review and let me know what you think ...