Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From the Notebooks of Hermione by SpellBound05

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter II: Chocolate Hearts


I woke up early Friday morning because I had gone to sleep early the night before. Lavender and Parvati were still asleep, of course, because they were downstairs with the majority of the Gryffindor fifth, sixth, and seventh years playing numerous rounds of Exploding Snap. I hopped out of bed and slipped my robes on. I went down to the Great Hall for breakfast barefoot, which turned out to be not such a bright idea. Most of the floors in the castle are stone. My feet were numb with the cold by the time I got downstairs.

There was hardly anyone in the Great Hall, let alone at the Gryffindor table. I took a seat by myself and grabbed a plain bagel. Munching on it, I thought about the Hogsmeade trip planned for today. It was only a few hours away, and I could hardly wait. First Hogsmeade trip of the year, and to top it off by going with Seamus. I sipped my mug of hot chocolate. I could just tell it was going to be a great day. I stuffed a few forkfuls of scrambled eggs in my mouth, and then rushed back up to the Gryffindor Tower to grab my cloak…or at least my shoes; the ground was murder on my feet. As I quickly walked up the stairs, I looked down at my feet partly to make sure they were still there. Of course they were there; I just couldn’t feel them at all. Just then I collided with someone who was going down the stairs. I looked up to see Seamus looking a bit startled from his daze.


“Oh, I’m sorry,”

“No need to say sorry, Hermione. I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Well neither was I.”

“Okay, it’s both our faults.” He grinned. “Have you had breakfast all ready?”

“Yep. I’m getting my cloak, actually. And my shoes,” I added.

He looked down at my feet, and then up at me again. “Christ, Hermione! You must be freezing!”

“You’ve got that right.”

“I’d hate to keep you any longer. See you in a few hours!” He stepped off to the side.

I laughed.
“Thanks, see you later.”


I raced up the rest of the flights of stairs, reaching the Portrait of the Fat Lady. After saying this month’s password (Ivory wood), the portrait opened up, and I climbed through.

There were many Gryffindors milling around the common room. Some were putting on their cloaks, some chatting with their friends, and some were slipping on their shoes and socks on the scarlet and gold sofas and armchairs. I went up to the girls’ dormitory and quickly pulled my socks and shoes on. I grabbed my cloak and went back down to the common room. I searched around for Harry and Ron, but couldn’t find them, even after a few minutes of asking around. Instead I found Ginny.


“Morning!” I said brightly fastening my cloak.

“Morning,” she replied stifling a yawn. “You’re in quite a good mood.”

I grinned sheepishly.

“You’re also more awake than ninety-five percent of this room,” she noted as she stuffed a few coins in her pocket.

“I woke up ages ago.”

“Oh yes, that’s right, you weren’t playing Exploding Snap last night. Let’s go to breakfast then.”

“I’ve just been down there.”

“Great, well you’re coming with me anyways,” she said pulling my arm.

“All right, all right.”

Ginny grabbed her wand from the table.

“Excited?”

“About what?”

“The Hogsmeade trip.”

“A little.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow.

“Okay, a lot, but who says I can’t be?”

“No one.”

“True. Do you want to meet up with me, Harry, and Ron later? We’re going for a butterbeer or two at the Three Broomsticks.”

“Sure. I’ll be with a few of my friends. What time should I catch up with you?”

“One thirty, probably. That’s the time I’m going, at least,” I said as we entered the Great Hall.

“Okay.”

“So that’s where Harry and Ron were,” I said spotting them at the Gryffindor table. “That’s funny, I don’t remember passing them on the way up.”

I sat down next to Harry and Ginny plopped down next to her brother.

“G’ morning,” Ron said sleepily. “This is just wrong. I should still be in my bed right now.”

“Well you would be more awake if you hadn’t insisted on nine extra rounds of Exploding Snap last night,” Harry said as he downed his goblet of pumpkin juice. “Morning Hermione, morning Ginny.”

“Morning,” Ginny said as she turned to talk with some of her friends that had just sat down.

“Hello,” I said.

“Aren’t you going to eat anything?” Harry asked me curiously.

“No, I’ve all ready had breakfast.”

“Oh, all right.”

“You know,” Ron said. “I’ve been in a right state with all this homework we’ve been getting. I’ll probably crack any day know.”

“You’ve got that right, mate,” Harry said spreading jam on his toast.

“It isn’t as bad as last year when we had to do our O.W.L.s,” I pointed out. “It’s only bound to get worse, because our N.E.W.T.s are only next year.”

“Don’t remind me,” Ron said shuddering.


The rest of breakfast for me was silent. Harry and Dean were trying to explain soccer to Ron, who still was confused and thought the game was pointless. I skimmed through the Daily Prophet, reading a few articles here and there. After I was finished with the paper, Harry came up to me.


“Hey, Hermione, ready to go out? It’s almost time to leave.”

I put down the paper.

“All right,” I said getting up.


I walked out to the Entrance Hall with Harry and Ron, along with other students filing out of the Great Hall. I spotted Seamus near the great oak doors. We he caught sight of me; he grinned and beckoned me over. I smiled back and butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I tapped Harry’s elbow and he turned around. He saw Seamus and immediately understood.


“All right Hermione, catch up with us later at the Three Broomsticks, okay?” he smiled.

I nodded. “All right.”

“And don’t miss us too terribly,” he whispered with a grin.

“I won’t,” I said grinning back. I turned around then went off to meet with Seamus.

“Hey, where’s Hermione going?” I heard Ron ask after I walked off. I smiled to myself. Harry was probably to tell him, but there was nothing I could really do.


I made my way through a crowd of students to Seamus, who was grinning broadly. His light brown hair was tousled; in an organized mess. His clear blue eyes looked down at me fondly, and to my surprise and amusement, a small group of fifth years looked on jealously. It was no secret that Seamus was becoming the next Cedric. Whoops, maybe I shouldn’t have used him as an example…we all miss him.


“Hullo Hermione.”

“Hey Seamus.”

Professor McGonagall got to the front of the group and began to lead us to Hogsmeade.

“Sleep well?” he asked as we walked past the Quidditch pitch.

“Yep,” I said.

“That’s good,” he said as he kicked some pebbles down the path. “I didn’t sleep that well myself, though.”

“And why is that?”

“Well, I promised you that I’d do my homework, didn’t I?” he said as he smiled. “I don’t break promises. I spent last night doing my homework instead of playing Exploding Snap.”

“Well done. A butterbeer on me, for being such a fine student.”

“Excellent! You’re wonderful Hermione,” he said beaming.

It was only a butterbeer. But then again, I’m not used to anyone fawning over me, so I’m thinking this is a good thing.

“Glad you agree.”


We had reached Hogsmeade shortly after. The crowd of students began to split and go their separate ways. I caught a quick glimpse of Harry, who saw me as well, and beamed. I gave a small wave and mouthed “hi.” They then disappeared into Zonko’s, and Seamus led me into Honeydukes. I took a deep breath and breathed in the strong, warm smell of Honeydukes chocolate. The small sweetshop was packed with students, and a rainbow of different colored sweets shone from the shelves. The shelf in front of me was filled with neat rows of shimmering pink coconut ice and boxes of exploding bon bons. We then moved to the next wall of shelves labeled “Unusual Tastes.” I was faced with jars and jars of Acid Pops, Cockroach Clusters, and other strange sweets.


“I’ve never taken a liking to Acid Pops,” Seamus said off-handedly. “Horrible accident when I was younger.” He laughed.

“I’ve never tried them. Don’t think I ever will, either.”

“Good choice.”

“Do you think Malfoy would notice if I slipped one or two of these in his dinner?” he said holding up a Cockroach Cluster.

“Dunno,” I said laughing. “If you did, you’d be doing all of the Gryffindors a favor.”

“The look on his face would be priceless.”

“Yeah, a real Kodak moment.”

“A what?”

“Nothing,” I said. Living a muggle childhood, I always forget that most of the students don’t have the faintest idea what I’m talking when I talk about that stuff.

“Ah, well,” he said setting down the Cockroach Cluster.


We then came across a few racks filled to the brim with Pepper Imps, Fizzing Whizbees, Ice Mice, and many, many other interesting candies. Picking out a few, we went to pay at the counter. Seamus bought a handful of brightly colored toffees, a box of Sugar Quills, Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum, and a few levitating sherbet balls. I got a bag of Bertie Bott’s, a slab of Honeydukes chocolate, Toothflossing Stringmints, and a few chocolate frogs. We walked outside and the little bells on the door rung. A chill breeze blew leaves across the path. Seamus led me up on top of the hill that the Shrieking Shack was built on, and to my surprise, he plopped down onto the lawn.


“Are you going to stand there and look at me like I’m a nutter, or are you going to sit down?” Seamus said jokingly.

I sat down on the cool grass. From here I saw most of Hogsmeade; all the small shops and things.

“Happy?” I said.

“Ecstatic.”

I pulled out my bag of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans.

“Want one?” I offered.

He eyed them cautiously. “Only if you go first.”

“Fine scaredy-cat. I’ll find a red one. They are the least-dangerous.”

I fished out a red bean and bit off half. Eww, it was blood-flavored! I kept a straight face and smiled.

“Strawberry,” I said as I gave him the other half. I am such a good liar.

He popped it into his mouth and grimaced.

“You little…” he said threateningly as he chucked a suspicious looking tan bean at me. “Eat it,” he commanded, laughing.

I nibbled off a bit of the end cautiously and grinned. Nothing to worry about, it was coffee-flavored.

“Coffee,” I proclaimed, looking satisfied.

“You got lucky.”

This game went on for a surprisingly long time, until we neared the bottom of my Bertie Bott’s bag.

“At least you still have plenty of candy,” Seamus said referring to the sweets I bought at Honeydukes.

“Ah, I dunno. The Toothflossing Stringmints are for my mum and dad, the chocolate frogs are for Ron, and the chocolate I’m sharing between me, Harry, and Ginny.”

“That’s a shame. Everyone needs a little candy now and then.” He took out a small gold box from his pocket, tied in a neat little red bow. “Here, this is for you,” he said as he placed it in my hands.

I untied the bow and lifted the lid of the box. Inside was a heart carved from dark chocolate. My heart leaped into my throat again. That was so sweet.

“Th-thanks,” I said. “Now I have some chocolate to save for later,” I said, regaining composure. I smiled at him.

“Anytime,” he said, looking glad that I liked his little present. “I secretly bought it at Honeydukes when you weren’t looking.” He grinned.

“Would you like to go to the Three Broomsticks?” I asked. “I do owe you that butterbeer.”

“That’d be splendid.”

As we set off for the Three Broomsticks, he took my hand in his, which was unexpectedly warm. He looked at me and smiled. I could faint.


We entered the lively tavern filled with students, and sat down at a table. I ordered butterbeers for both of us and talked for a while. I soon looked up at the clock and saw that it was nearly two-thirty.


“I said I’d be meeting Harry and Ron right about now,” I said looking back at him.

“No problem,” he said getting up. “I’m supposed to meet Dean around this time anyways. See you later, Hermione,” he said grinning, and left the Three Broomsticks.


I waved, paid the bill, and saw Harry, Ginny, and Ron waving at me from a large table across the room. The table was packed with a load of Gryffindors, and I found a seat next to Neville and Ginny, and across from Harry.


“Have fun?” asked Ginny.

“Yeah, it was okay,” I said, understating it.

“That’s good,” Harry said as he downed the rest of the butterbeer in his bottle. “We spent most of the time at Zonko’s. We only came here about ten minutes ago.”


We spent the rest of our time there in the Three Broomsticks until it was time to leave. I had all ready spilt my slab of chocolate with Harry and Ginny, and I gave the chocolate frogs to Ron. We got up, and left for the school. While we were walking Harry said he felt bad about eating most of my sweets. You, know, he is a lot like Seamus. Er, rather, Seamus is a lot like Harry? Oh well.


“Thanks for the chocolate, Hermione,” Harry said as we were walking back to school. “But sorry that I ate most of it.” He grinned sheepishly.

“No, that’s all right.” I took out the little gold box with the chocolate heart. “Look what Seamus gave me,” I said showing it to him.

“Wow, that was…err…nice of him,” Harry said awkwardly.

“He’s really sweet,” I said, gushing. I stopped at the look on Harry’s face. For a second there, I could’ve sworn I saw something that looked remarkably like…hurt? “But he’s nothing compared to you,” I added, playfully punching in the arm.

He grinned.

“Well, I’ve got to show Ginny, see you at dinner, Harry!”

“Bye, Hermione.”


I went off and found Ginny with some of her other friends. I showed her the gift, and this time, I didn’t have to limit my gushing. She was really happy for me. Harry probably didn’t understand because he’s a boy.

We finally reached the castle, and after dinner, I went off to bed. Setting the box on my lamp table, I slipped under the covers. I slept nicely, and strangely, I had dreams of chocolate hearts.