Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From the Notebooks of Hermione by SpellBound05

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter VII: A Toast To Friendship



Odd, I found this under the sofa in the common room. Why does it always disappear and the reappear under some article of furniture? It was under the sofa that Hermione and Harry were sitting in last night. I saw that they had fallen asleep there on the sofa when I was sneaking down to the kitchens for a midnight snack, sort of my Saturday night ritual. They looked so peaceful and cute together. I wonder if they were still there this morning. I hope they didn’t see the journal, though. That would be horribly embarrassing.

Well a couple days ago Hermione got her heart broken by Seamus who turns out to be a cheating liar. Strangely, everyone seemed to know about it while it was going on except the people who really needed to know, the foremost of them being Hermione. Poor Hermione, he had me fooled as well. She was so upset. It must be murder, knowing that everyone knows that your boyfriend is cheating scum except for you, and of course, everyone is too scared to tell you or your best friends and keeps quiet instead, and then you look like a complete idiot to the rest of the school. I can’t believe it had to happen to Hermione because she is such a great person. Yesterday in the common room I heard Lavender and Parvati talking. Everyone else was eating lunch, but I had to finish my Divination homework.

“So what really happened, Parvati?” Lavender asked examining her nails. She was lying on her stomach on the sofa facing Parvati who was sitting cross-legged in an armchair.

“That lying cheat,” Parvati said frowning. “Do you know what he told me? He said that he had broken up with Hermione!”

“Why did you go with him?” Lavender asked looking up at her. “You know that the unwritten rule says you have to wait at least a week to go out with a guy who has just broken up with a friend.”

When I heard this I hid my laughter by coughing loudly. I couldn’t help myself. Sometimes they are so conventional. They turned around and stared at me, but I was doing my homework intently.

“First of all, he tricked me, and second of all, I thought the rule was for, like you know, best friends.”

“It applies to anyone we’re friends with, not just each other,” Lavender said, going back to examining her nails. “How did he trick you?”

“He said that he had something to show me upstairs,” Parvati said with a slight whine.

“And you fell for that? That’s, like, the oldest trick in the book!” Lavender exclaimed.

“But you saw how he was with Hermione,” Parvati said sadly. “I thought he was just being nice.”

“Parvati,” Lavender said seriously, sitting up. “He was far from being nice when he was with Hermione. You know about all of those other girls.”

Now we were getting somewhere. I laid down my quill for a moment.

“Yeah,” Parvati sympathized. “And I still don’t think Hermione knows about them. We’re talking about at least five other girls. And when he wasn’t with Hermione he-”

“-was off with other girls,” Lavender finished. “We know what happened. Back on subject, okay? So pretty much, he played you for a sap.”

Parvati nodded forlornly.

“Come here,” Lavender said as she gave her a hug.

As I was listening, I grew angrier and angrier. More than one and more than once? This issue had grown out of control. I closed my book, stood up, and walked over to where they were.

“Look,” I began as they turned to me. “I couldn’t help overhearing what you were saying,” I said and then they glared at me. “But you were talking about my best friend, and she is really upset about this.” Their looks softened upon hearing this. “If it’s okay, I’d just like to ask you a few questions,” I continued, “and then I’ll go talk to Hermione.”

They both nodded. “Okay, what do you want to know first?” Lavender asked.

“Does Hermione know any of the other girls Seamus was with?”

Lavender thought about it for a while and then shook her head. “Probably not. They’re mostly from other houses and in younger years than her.”

“Okay,” I said. “How long has Seamus been doing this kind of stuff?”

“He’s been doing it a while before the thing with Hermione happened,” Lavender said. “But of course, she wouldn’t know about it since she refuses to listen to any gossip.”

I nodded. “Do you think Seamus even cares about what he did?”

“Most likely no, but if he actually liked Hermione, even a little bit, then probably yes,” Lavender replied.

“How come no one told Harry, Ron, or me about this?”

“Well you’re her best friends, of course,” Lavender answered as if this was the most obvious thing in the world. “Everyone is too scared to tell you guys.”

I was right about that, then.

“Do you think that I can talk to her right now? Or should I give her enough time to be alone?”

“Well, she did look pretty comfortable on the sofa last night with Harry, you know,” Lavender said smiling in a knowing way. Then Parvati and Lavender giggled together.

“How did you know about that!?” I asked, alarmed.

“Every night I sneak down to the kitchens to get a midnight snack…well, if I’m sleeping lightly that given night. But, yes, that’s how I know about it. I saw them,” Lavender replied.

Hmmm, so I guess I’m not the only one who goes down to the kitchens all the time. I wonder if everyone does this and they just don’t run into each other. That’s something to think about.

“He’s her best friend,” I said, defending them. “So I guess I can probably talk to her then, right?”

“Yes, you can. You probably should, too. She might want you to,” Lavender said.

“One more thing,” I said. “You won’t mention the bit about Harry and Hermione to anyone, will you?” I asked looking from Lavender to Parvati.

“Of course not,” Parvati said.

“Thank you so much,” I said before I went back to doing my homework.


Later that night, I was walking towards the Quidditch pitch with my broom, trying to get some practice alone. Well, that’s what I would say if I had to make an excuse. I really just wanted some fresh night air. It was a really nice night for it, too. I had a lot on my mind and I only really felt like flying away from it all. The moon was full, and the pale yellow orb was barely visible through the thinning trees as I walked along the path. The nights were growing cooler and cooler since we in early October.

As I stepped on the field, I heard an arrogant Slytherin voice say, “What’s your business out here tonight?”

A group of bulky students figures was what I saw when I came closer. And they were all dressed in Slytherin robes. Oh no, the Slytherin Quidditch team. Well, if it wasn’t my lucky day.

“Look, I only came out here to fly around a bit,” I said. “I didn’t mean to barge in on your practice or anything.”

“Yeah, sure,” the figure (most likely captain) said snootily. “Malfoy! Come out here right now. You can have the honor of disposing this Gryffindor spy.”

I saw Malfoy’s figure come out of the locker rooms. “Oh goody,” he said sarcastically as I imagined him rolling his eyes. As he came closer to me, I was still trying to figure out what was going on. When I was close enough to see a storm wreaking havoc in Draco’s stormy grey eyes, he stopped short.

“Weasley?” The storm was at a calm.

“Oh well spotted,” I said, using the same comment he had given Goyle (or was it Crabbe?) a few days ago.

“Don’t get smart with me,” Draco said coldly. “Start walking.”

“Don’t order me around,” I shot back.

“I’ll do as I please,” Draco drawled.

“Ugh,” I said in frustration as we walked off of the field. “What is with you Malfoy? Did you get tired of being civil all ready?”

Malfoy turned his head to look back at the field. “I can’t be seen having a ‘civil’ conversation with a Gryffindor spy,” he said lightly as he winked at me.

“You know perfectly well that I was not spying,” I scoffed.

“Of course I knew that. You Gryffindors are too noble to do that. But humor me, what were you planning on doing out here?” Draco asked as he looked at me. The moonlight defined the aristocratic angular shape of his face.

“Well, I was just going to fly around,” I answered truthfully.

“Isn’t it a bit chilly to be flying around? Besides, it’s dinner time,” Malfoy said curiously.

“I’ve got a lot on my mind, okay?” I huffed.

“Would I be one of those subjects on your mind?” Malfoy said, grinning widely.

What?” I asked, surprised. I actually like seeing Malfoy smile. It’s a nice change from the usual sneer. “No, of course not.”

“Come off it, Weasley. You know that you want me,” Malfoy said, still grinning.

I looked up at him and couldn’t help but giggle. “Even when you’re civil, you’re still incredibly self-centered.” His hand brushed against mine, sending instant warmth up my arm.

Malfoy laughed this time. “It’s my nature, Weasley. It’s my nature.”

I turned back to look at the field. It was far away by now. “Aren’t you going back to your practice?”

“First of all, I would have to walk you up to the castle to make sure you weren’t lurking near the field anyway, team rules, and second of all, practice is over,” Malfoy replied smoothly.

I glanced over to him. “From what I saw, your team was just getting started with practice.”

“True,” Malfoy said. “But for me it’s over. The brilliant boy who calls himself team captain thought it would be smart to have our practice during dinner. I do believe that there is still about twenty minutes left.” He looked sideways at me. “Are you coming?”

“Aren’t you going to get in trouble for skipping practice?”

“Of course not. They’ll hardly notice I’m gone,” Malfoy said. “Besides, they’re scared of me. I can pretty much do whatever I want.” Malfoy paused and then looked over at me again. “So are you coming or not?” he asked as we reached the massive castle doors.

“Sure,” I said. I was actually really hungry by now.

He opened the door for me and gestured inside. “M’lady,” he said with a laugh.

I laughed as well. “A real gentleman, you are. It’s a shame you don’t act like this more often.”

Malfoy looked back at the door and gave me a strange look. “Act more like a butler?” he asked, confused.

“No,” I laughed as I playfully punched him in the arm. “More like a human being.”

“Now that’s something I would have to work on,” Dr-I mean, Malfoy said with another grin as he nodded slowly.

We entered the Great Hall where all of the other students were enjoying their dinner. We received several strange looks as more people looked up. I admit, it must have been a curious sight to see a Slytherin and a Gryffindor in good company. Malfoy and I looked at each other and nodded in an unspoken agreement.

“You better watch where you’re walking next time, Weasley,” Draco said loudly.

“Shove off Malfoy,” I said angrily as we both went off in opposite directions to our tables.

I looked around to see everyone had looked away because they weren’t interested in the normal interaction between Slytherin and Gryffindor. Normal. I think it’s a shame that the current definition of normal interaction between Slytherin and Gryffindor is fighting. Well, I do understand that it is a clash of opposite personalities, but that still isn’t an excuse.

I went at sat down at the Gryffindor table across from Ron. I was still quite surprised I had a civil conversation with Malfoy. Not civil, more like friendly. For once, I actually enjoyed talking with him.

“What happened, Ginny?” Ron said as I sat down. “Was Malfoy giving you trouble?” he asked, furious all ready. “I’ll take care of him, I will,” he said angrily.

“No, no,” I insisted. “I’m fine. Really.”

I looked around. Hermione and Harry were missing from the table.

“Where’s Hermione?” I asked.

“She’s up in the Gryffindor tower,” Ron said through a mouthful. “Didn’t want to eat dinner.”

“Oh,” I said. “She must still be upset then,” I said, disappointed. I was hoping I could talk to her later, but I didn’t want to disturb her if she was still upset.

“Oh, no,” Ron said chuckling a bit. “She’s over him all ready,” he said pointing at Seamus with a chicken leg. “She’s upstairs in her room doing homework. Crazy, that one is,” Ron said taking a bite of chicken.

I laughed from relief. Good old Hermione. Back on her feet all ready. “So where’s Harry, then?”

“He’s finished all ready. He’s bringing food up to Hermione to try to get her to eat something,” Ron said as he took a gulp of pumpkin juice. “It’s a lost cause. She’d probably starve herself for a month if her grade depended on it.”

I laughed. I then looked up to see Malfoy staring at me, three tables away.

Sorry,” he mouthed, referring to what happened when we came in. “Are we okay then?”

I thought about it. I guess this friendship would work out, even if it had to be hidden from the rest of the school. I then nodded and grinned.

Malfoy gave a small smile in return and raised his goblet in a toast. “Cheers to that,” he mouthed as he took a sip.

Cheers,” I mouthed back and raised my goblet. Draco winked and then went back to talking to other Slytherins.

When I put my goblet down after taking a sip, Ron turned to see who I was talking to. He didn’t see anyone. “Are you mad?” he asked. Then he shook his head as he went back to eating. “Sometimes I really wonder about you, Gin.”

I smiled inwardly. I felt at ease. It was pretty surprising that Malfoy was a human being like the rest of us. After acting so horrible for the four full years I’ve been here, it is quite a nice change. I thought back to the toast again. Toasts are sometimes made to silly, irrelevant things like fame and wealth. Thankfully, that toast was no ordinary toast. I thought more of it as a toast to friendship. Now that is something worth toasting to.