Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Yule Ball: The Girls' Perspective by Raven_in_Lion_House

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Takes place during "The Unexpected Task" chapter of GoF.
On the evening of Wednesday, December 16, 1994, most people in the vicinity of the British village of Hogsmeade had escaped the cold and wind of the winter’s first storm by staying huddled indoors. One exception, however, was Viktor Krum, who, hailing from northern Europe, was quite used to such weather. He actually seemed not to notice the storm at all as he traversed the distance between the Durmstrang ship and the Hogwarts castle, a short trip that he took almost every night.

Once he reached his destination, he started looking around for Hermione Granger, the reason he was there. The library was nearly deserted, so it was quite easy to spot her. He walked over to her and stood there. He cleared his throat a couple of times and paced some, but Hermione was too deeply engrossed in her homework to notice. Of course, the few other students in the library did and watched in fascination. After a few minutes, Krum realized that Hermione was never going to notice him if he continued what he was doing, so he mumbled, “Excuse me, Miss Granger.”

It took a moment for Hermione to comprehend that she was being spoken to. Her eyes still glued to Arithmancy: The Student’s Basic Text, Book II, she replied, “Yes?

“Vould you care to go to the Yule Ball vith me?” Viktor Krum asked in a quavering voice.

“What?” questioned Hermione, still not paying much attention to Krum.

“I vould be pleased if you vould be my date to the upcoming Yule Ball,” Krum said in a louder and clearer voice.

To say the least, Hermione was surprised. She set down her book and, after a few seconds of speechlessness, she admitted, “I really do not know what to say.”

“Vould you like some time to think about it?” asked Krum.

“Yes,” Hermione responded, “that would be good.”

“Vill you haf an answer by Friday?” Krum inquired.

Hermione nodded, and Krum seemed to think there was no more to be said on the topic. He announced, “I vill be going back to the ship,” and walked out of the library, heading for the wind and wetness of the grounds.

Soon after, Hermione stood up, put her books into her school bag, and pushed in her chair. She headed to Gryffindor Tower and went through the portrait hole after telling the painting of the Fat Lady the password, Fairy Lights. Once in, she stood by the portal for a moment, enjoying the warmth of the large fire dancing in the fireplace. Then, she hurried over to one of the Common Room’s numerous glaringly red couches and sat down next to Ginny Weasley.

“Hi,” said Hermione.

“Hey,” responded Ginny.

Hermione glanced around and, satisfied that nobody was listening, whispered, “Viktor Krum just asked me to the Yule Ball.”

Ginny squealed, “Oh my gosh, Hermione! That is so exciting. Where are you meeting beforehand? When are you “ “

“Ginny,” muttered Hermione, “I didn’t say yes.”

“Hermione Granger, you are insane!” exclaimed Ginny. “Every other girl in the school, practically the whole wizarding world, would give anything to go on a date with any professional Quidditch player, and you turn down Viktor Krum, who caught the Snitch at the last World Cup!”

“Please quiet down, Ginny,” murmured Hermione.

“Okay, but still, rejecting Viktor Krum when he asks you to a dance is completely mental, Hermione!” Ginny whispered vehemently.

“I didn’t say no to Krum,” replied Hermione. “Well, not exactly at least. I told him that I would think about it.”

“Good, because then you still can say yes,” murmured Ginny. “Gosh, I can’t think why you wouldn’t straight off.”

“Ginny, you know that I was hoping Ron would ask me!” responded Hermione indignantly.

“He hasn’t asked you out yet,” Ginny pointed out.

“Yes, but the Yule Ball is still nine days away,” replied Hermione.

“Come on, Hermione, this will probably the only chance you’ll ever get to go on a date with someone famous, whereas there will be plenty of other chances to go out with my brother,” Ginny said.

“Ginny, unlike some people I know, I don’t like a boy just because he’s famous,” Hermione retorted.

Ginny, her face a now deeper red than the couch she was sitting on, argued, “I don’t have a crush on Harry just because he’s famous. You know quite well that he rather selflessly saved me from Riddle’s diary two years ago. If loving a person because they saved your life isn’t a good enough reason, I do not know of one!”

“Honestly, I’m afraid that if I go with Krum, Ron might get jealous,” Hermione said, ignoring Ginny’s last comment.

“You make that sound like a bad thing,” Ginny responded.

“Well, isn’t it?” asked Hermione.

“Let me tell you a story that may change your opinion,” said Ginny.

“Alright,” replied Hermione.

“When Mum and Dad were in their sixth year, Lawrence Wood asked Mum to go to Hogsmeade with him.” Ginny said. “Dad was definitely not too happy about the thought of Mum going out with another boy and, to make a long story short, ended up telling Mum this afterwards. That’s what got the two of them together.”

“Really?” asked Hermione.

“Yes,” replied Ginny, “and I think Ron, like Dad, might be spurred into asking you out when he realizes you won’t always be available.”

Their conversation ended on that note. Hermione pulled out An Account of the Eighty-Seven Most Recent Goblin Uprisings, which Professor Binns had recommended as an excellent book to prepare his fourth year students for his upcoming lectures in History of Magic, and Ginny started working on out an essay on the Wolfsbane Potion that was due in Defense Against the Dark Arts the next day. About half an hour later, Hermione looked at the clock above the mantel, stifled a yawn, and declared, “I’m exhausted. I think I’ll head to bed. Goodnight, Ginny.”

“Goodnight,” said Ginny.

However tired she may have been, Hermione had trouble sleeping that night. In her head, Ginny’s words “Ron may be spurred into asking you out” kept repeating and repeating. When she finally fell asleep, she tossed and turned in a fitful doze. In the morning, she awoke feeling less rested than when she fell asleep the night before. However, her mind was made up. She had decided with whom she’d go to the Yule Ball.

At breakfast, she purposefully seated herself directly across from Ginny. Leaning over the table, she whispered, “I’ve decided.”

“What have you decided?” asked Ginny while she grabbed a piece of toast.

“I’m going to tell Krum that I’ll go to the Yule Ball with him,” responded Hermione as she poured herself some pumpkin juice.

“Really?” inquired Ginny, scooping some scrambled eggs onto her plate.

“Yes,” said Hermione after she chose a bowl of steaming porridge.

“Are you completely sure?” questioned Ginny before she started eating.

“Not exactly,” replied Hermione, “but I don’t have forever to decide.”