Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

7 Ways to Win Her Heart by x_lily_evans_x

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: I'm not JK Rowling. That doesn't mean I don't spend endless hours wishing that I am, though.
One


His polished Nimbus 1001 clutched in one hand, and a little stuffed snowman in the other, James Potter paused nervously as he reached the bottom of the girls’ dormitories. The Common Room, which was full of Yuletide decorations, and the dormitories were deserted (the Marauder’s Map had told him so); it was lunchtime and everyone was in the Great Hall. Still, he couldn’t be too sure. Maybe it was the streak of paranoia that haunted mischief makers. He, along with his fellow Marauders, used to spend lunches in the Common Room, setting up tricks for their unsuspecting housemates.

Once sure that the coast was clear, he mounted his broom and kicked off, rising speedily and flying off into the unknown that was the girls’ dormitories.

Or perhaps, not so unknown.

James had been sneaking into the girls’ dormitories on two previous occasions” two weeks before, and just last week. All on Sundays, as was today. His purpose? Merely to drop letters and gifts on a certain girl’s bed.

If a few years ago, someone had told James that he would be so besotted with a girl that he would be willing to drop off sweet little notes and presents on her bed, he would have told the person to go to the Hospital Wing and get from Madam Pomfrey a cure for madness. But the sad, sad truth was this:

James Potter was truly besotted.

He was besotted with the way she twisted her auburn hair around her fingers when she thought about something. He was besotted with the way she tilted her head slightly to one side when she was asking a question. He was besotted with the way her large green eyes seemed to pierce through his like she was examining his soul carefully. He was besotted with her low voice. He was, to put it quite simply, besotted with Lily Evans.

Oh, sure, now that they were the Head Prefects, they could see each other more often than usual, and Lily, who had merely tolerated him last year, was actually treating him like a friend. Last year she was only capable of tight smiles; this year the smiles were genuine. Last year she was only capable of few sharp words; this year she was capable of strings and strings of words, and James was only too happy to sit there beside her and smile at her, smile at the way her small hands moved animatedly as she chattered endlessly, smile at the way she spoke so dramatically about certain things, smile at the way she made faces sometimes or imitated others. But most of all, he smiled at the way she was paying attention to him; the way she was finally taking him seriously.

However, there was one small problem. Just one small problem. One oh-so-small problem, and it was causing James extreme agony:

He didn’t know what Lily Evans thought about him.

And it was, to put it in melodramatic terms, killing him slowly.

He could not fathom the feelings and expressions that were hidden in her eyes. She was always just so mysterious. A little wave or a smile at him, and he would be wondering the whole day what in the name of Merlin did that mean.

His inseparable best mate Sirius Black told him that he was obsessed, that he shouldn’t be reading too much into things, and please concentrate more on the prank playing, will ya?

His faithful friend, Peter Pettigrew, had only one answer, a helpful shrug.

His wise friend Remus Lupin told him to let nature take its course, and if he and Lily were meant to be, Fate would drive them together.

But Fate was taking too damn effing long. He needed an answer soon. Which was why he was doing all this sneaking around.

He landed lightly on the floor and got off his broom. Although he knew that there was no one around, he still crept towards the bed at the far end, right next to the window, the one that was Lily’s.

The bed was smoothly made, with a pile of books just beside the little stand that stood beside the bed. A little sliver of paper that was magically shimmering was sticking out of the top book, Arithmancy as of Today. This sight made James beam.

She had kept his note.

She had kept his note.

She hadn’t thrown it away.

She had kept his note.

Sidestepping the pile of books, he placed the snowman on her bed, along with a note that read, “Here’s a little momento of this year’s winter.”

Once the job was done, he mounted his Nimbus 1001 again and soared out of the room quickly. He swooped down into the Common Room, and almost knocked over Sirius, Remus and Peter, who were walking towards the boys’ dormitories.

“Hello,” James said, dismounting his broom swiftly.

“Were you up there again?” Sirius asked, shaking his head wearily.

“Well, I think it was pretty sweet of him to treat Lily this way,” Peter said.

“Thanks, Wormtail,” James said, grinning. Peter looked pleased.

Remus asked, “What exactly did you give Lily? And Merlin forbid that you gave her another one of your notes, because the previous few were utterly awkward.”

Sirius looked affronted. “Prongs! You didn’t show me your notes since the first one!”

“That’s because you’d just laugh insensitively into Prongs’ face and throw it into the fire again,” Remus said shrewdly. “And then write another letter, supposedly a better version, which I find trashy, unreadable shit.”

“I didn’t do that,” Sirius said, crossing his arms. “I was perfectly sensitive about the first note, wasn’t I, James? You tell Moony what I did.”

“You laughed insensitively into my face and threw it into the fire,” James parroted, but he was unable keep a straight face. “And then you wrote another letter, supposedly a better version, but Moony proclaimed it ‘trashy, unreadable shit.’ ”

“I stand corrected,” Remus smirked.

“Face it, Padfoot, you were no help to my WOLE scheme, no matter how much you want to be,” James said.

“WOLE?” Peter asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Win Over Lily Evans,” James explained, and at once Sirius let out a bark of laughter.

“And that,” Remus said dryly, once Sirius had finished his one moment of amusement, “is also why James didn’t show you his notes and gifts.”

*

“And this is what I hate about James Potter in love,” Sirius said dramatically. “He never listens to anyone.”

Remus barely looked up from a Christmas present (a new book) he had received this morning, whereas Peter has happily and obliviously munching away on a candy cane.

Sirius sighed. “Not that anyone’s listening to me now.” Then he leaned over, snapping his fingers in front of James’ face.

James blinked, and then said, “Oh, yeah, Padfoot, the Cornish pixies are most interesting, but I don’t want you to put them into Slughorn’s office for a joke. It’s not funny, and it’ll spoil my reputation as Head Boy. You could let them out in the Slytherin common room if you want, but not in any teacher’s office.”

Sirius rolled his eyes. “We were long over that topic, Head Boy! Why are you so slow in processing information today?”

“Slow? Am I?” James asked distractedly. He had just spotted Lily walking down the stairs with a couple of her girlfriends, Mary Macdonald and Gemma Spinnet.

She saw him looking, and came walking over. Gemma, who was good friends with all of the Marauders, came over, too, and wished them all Merry Christmas, a greeting which James returned vaguely. He had eyes only for Lily. He couldn’t help but observe the way the way the morning sun made her long auburn curls gleam gold, so they framed her face like a halo. She said brightly, “Merry Christmas, James.”

“Merry Christmas, Lily,” he said, grinning and running a hand through his hair.

“I’ve got your present upstairs, I’ll give it to you later, okay?” she said, and smiling, she left with Mary and Gemma.

James sighed. “What do you think?” he asked, addressing the rest of the Marauders in general. “Does she like me, or not?”

“I dunno, mate,” Sirius said sympathetically. “It’s hard to tell.”

James got up and headed for the boys’ dormitories.

“Hey, where’re you going?” Sirius yelled.

“I’ve left my Christmas gift and note for Lily upstairs,” James called back as he ascended the stairs. He grabbed the little stuffed winged angel with a shimmering golden halo magically hovering above her red hair from his bedside and a little card, which read, “An angel for an angel.” He hoped that Lily would like this present. When the angel’s halo was touched, the angel would magically flutter her wings and soar to the top of the room, sprinkling little snowflakes all over the room, which would magically disappear after a while. Then mounting his broom, he flew from the boys’ dormitories to the girls’ dormitories.

He got off his broom after landing by Lily’s bedside. He heard a yell from downstairs, probably Sirius’, and assumed that the other Marauders were starting a rowdy game. Leaning the broom against the frame of the neighbouring bed, he gently placed the angel and the card on Lily’s quilt. Just as he was arranging the gift and the card properly, he heard a familiar voice call, “Wait for me, you two, I’m just going to grab a book to read during breakfast!”

Panicking, he was about to grab his broomstick, but he was too late. A gasp sounded, followed by a scandalised “James Potter!”

Turning around hastily, he saw, to his horror, that Lily Evans was staring at him, eyes wide and accusing. Then her gaze moved down to his hand, which was still lingering on the angel. He withdrew his hand quickly as though burned.

“It was you who sent me those cards and gifts,” she said, her gaze now fixed on his face.

“Yeah, it was,” he said, shuffling around uncomfortably.

She said nothing, but walked forwards and picked up the angel and the card. Flicking the card open, she scanned it and then looked at the angel. She reached out a finger and gently touched the hovering halo, and gasped in surprise as the angel floated out of her hand and started sprinkling little snowflakes in the dormitories, on the beds, on the both of them.

She still didn’t say anything. James wanted to die. His heart was hammering against his Adam’s apple and his breaths were short and quick. He did not dare to look at Lily, but at the same time he wanted to. When he couldn’t take the suspense any longer, he raised his eyes and looked at her.

She was smiling. It was a small smile, but a smile nonetheless.

Smiles were supposed to be good signs, weren’t they? James felt hope rush back, making him feel light-headed.

“James,” Lily said, “did you make this for me?”

“Yes, I did,” he said.

“Was it also you who delivered those notes and letters to me since the week before last?” she asked, and James fancied that he heard a hopeful tone in her voice.

“A- As a matter of fact, I did,” he admitted.

She was smiling fully now. “And why did you send me those letters?” she asked.

“Because- because-” James swallowed; he had not bargained on this. “Because I really like you, Lily. I’ve liked you for ages. But I don’t know what you feel towards me. You’re so hard to understand. I was planning on revealing myself sooner or later- but you caught me.”

Lily took a few steps forward. “And did you know, James, that I’ve also liked you for quite some time? Since October, actually.”

James wondered if he was in a very happy dream. “No, I most certainly did not,” he said.

Lily tilted her head to one side, but it was not in question. “Well, now you do,” she said, and she flung her arms around him, and he hugged back. Then they broke slightly apart and he tilted her face up to meet his.

“Merry Christmas, James Potter,” she said, smiling. She looked so beautiful with the snowflakes in her red hair, her emerald green eyes warm and yet so mysterious.

“Merry Christmas, Lily Evans,” he replied, smiling back, as he leaned in to kiss her.

It was the sweetest kiss in the history of kisses.



IN REALITY

“Moony…” James said, his voice trailing off. Sirius and Peter also looked up from the first long parchment roll at Remus skeptically.

“Yes?” Remus asked, not looking up from his Potions essay.

“Are you sure you wrote this?” Sirius asked cautiously.

“Because, you know, it’s all girly and weird,” Peter added.

“It is?” Remus looked up and blinked.

“It is, Moony,” James said, and together all three boys looked at the werewolf solemnly.

“No, it isn’t!” Remus said, leaning forward and seizing the parchment to see for himself. His eyes widened as he took in the words on it that formed a story of James and Lily.

“Merlin, Remus,” said James, looking amused, “when I told you to write out possible endings for my plans of winning over Lily, I didn’t mean a fluffy romance novel!”

Remus leaned back against his chair slowly. “I didn’t write this,” he said, faintly.

“You didn’t?” Peter said, taking the parchment back. “But it’s in your handwriting.”

“Something wrong, people?” said a voice. All of the Marauders looked up, only to see Gemma Spinnet smiling at them.

“Nothing!” James, Sirius and Peter yelped, as they shoved the parchment rolls out of sight.

Gemma laughed and said, “You’ve nothing to hide from me. And I’m not just talking about your precious Marauder’s Map.”

James grimaced, remembering the time last year when he had carelessly left the Map lying around in the Common Room, and Gemma had chanced upon it. But, of course, Gemma, being one of their closest friends, had promised not to breathe a word about it, providing they lend it to her from time to time, when she needed it. Thank Merlin for Gemma.

Remus, thinking at once of his secret of being a lycanthrope, tensed up. “We haven’t?” he asked slowly.

“You haven’t,” said Gemma, sitting down on the floor beside James, who stared at her suspiciously.

“What’ve been you up to, Gem?” he asked his childhood friend accusingly.

“Oh, nothing, just rewriting a few romance stories,” said Gemma airily. “Oh” and by the way, Remus, no offence, but your writing sucks.”

“It does?” Remus said, and understanding showed in his face. “So that was why the parchments were missing yesterday? You took them out to edit them?”

“Edit?” Gemma cried in horror. “Edit?! You think much too highly of your writing, Lupin! I rewrote them! Every single one of them! The only things that remained were the basic plotlines!”

“All right, all right, calm down,” Remus said hastily. “So why did you help me?”

“Because if James were to read what you wrote, he would give up the idea of winning Lily’s heart forever,” Gemma said sniffily. “You didn’t even get their characters right!”

“They were that bad, huh?” Sirius grinned, looking at Remus.

James ignored his friend. “So does this mean you’ll help me win over Lily?” he asked Gemma hopefully. “Because, no offence, you guys, but you’ve kind of caused me more trouble than help me.”

Sirius and Peter both gave him disparaging looks, which he ignored, too, because it was the truth.

“Of course I’ll help you win her over,” Gemma said, rolling her eyes. “I’ve always tried to do that, ever since you learnt to behave yourself. You two make such an adorable couple!”

The other boys rolled their eyes, but James beamed.

“Thanks, Gemma!” he said. “You’re a great pal.” Then he turned to the rest and said, “C’mon you guys, let’s put this plan in action!”

“Wait, wait, hold it, hold it,” Gemma said, holding up a finger. “What’re you planning to do?”

“James wants to follow the various plans in hopes that it can get him his girl,” Peter explained.

Gemma turned to face James with a look that he couldn’t decide if it told him he was stupid or deranged.

“I can’t guarantee that it’ll go according to my stories,” she warned. “After all, my imagination is quite fertile.”

“I’m willing to give anything a shot, Gemma,” James said.

“He’s that desperate, you see,” said Sirius to Gemma in a stage whisper.

“Oh, all right,” Gemma sighed. “Try it at your own risk. But remember, some parts in my stories are fictitious.”

“Oh?” James asked, now feeling a twinge of doubt. “Like what?”

Gemma leaned in conspiratorially. So did the rest. “You know, the part where I wrote Lily telling you she’s liked you since October?” she asked.

“Uh huh?”

“Well, that’s not the truth.”

James felt his heart sink. “What, she’s never liked me at all?” he asked gloomily.

Gemma got up to join Mary Macdonald and Lily Evans by the portrait hole. “As a matter of fact, James,” she said, “Mary and I believe that she’s started liking you last year.”

James’ heart now had the density of helium. He looked over to Lily, and she waved at him. He smiled back. Then she left the Common Room with Gemma and Mary, but the smile never left James’ face, and he spent the next hour daydreaming, much to the annoyance of his other friends.

But then again, what else could be expected? After all, this wasn’t just about some girl. It was about the girl James had spent three years trying to figure out, and win over.

It was about Lily Evans.

A/N: So how did you find it? Thoughts and comments, anyone?