Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Two Terrifically Trapped Gryffindors. by Fenixaze

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: DISCLAIMER: I do not own the characters, places or situations that I bend to my will in this fluffy excuse for a plot.

A/N - Just a cute little fluffy bit that will probably top out at 3-4 chapters. Not much plot involved or thought required, just a cute response to a very cute challenge on Portkey.org. Hope you like.
Part One: The Greenhouse Effect

Hermione Granger smiled happily as she removed her dragon hide gloves. Done at last, she thought, relieved. Now that her Herbology final was out of the way, classes were over for another year and she could start on her seventh year�s books as soon as they got home for the summer. All around her, people were starting to finish their practical exams as well. She was absent mindedly brushing the dirt off the front of her robes as Ron and Harry both walked to the front of the greenhouse to turn in their final term projects. The class had been raising belladonna since Spring Recess and their final exam was to harvest the essence for their potions kits without damaging the leaves or sustaining any injuries from the poisonous plant.

Hermione knew she had done exceedingly well, and as such had even had the time to look over Ron's shoulder to make sure that neither he nor Harry would be falling ill during dinner. She smirked. If she didn't watch those two...

"Let's go," Ron grumbled as Hermione fastidiously cleaned her robes and packed away her class tools. "I'm starving."

Harry grinned and stashed his tools away nearly as quickly as Ron. "Come on, Hermione, let's go!" he urged happily. "We're done for the year, let's go celebrate!"

Hermione grinned in spite of herself. "All right, all right," she said, and hurried her cleaning along faster than she normally would have.

She had to practically jog to catch up with the boys who, after the long year, had grown several inches taller than her. Just as she had rounded the front table and was nearly out the front door, Hermione felt a sharp tug as the corner of her robes caught Professor Sprout's desk, and she went sprawling to the rough, earthen floor. With a great sigh of dismay, she watched as her bag hit the floor, split, and sent her belongings scattering in every direction.

Hermione spat a few choice words as she gathered her things and stuffed them, angrily, into her bag. She looked up quickly to notice that Harry had grabbed Ron and started walking back towards the greenhouse when he noticed her fall.

"Hermione," he called, "do you need help?"

She grumbled again, but called back, "No, no, I've got it."

Harry stopped to wait for her. Ron called out, "Come on, Hermione, what's taking so long? Aren't you hungry?"

"Yes," she snapped loudly, "but I'd much rather make sure I had all my things, thank you very much!" She leapt to her feet, clutching her bag angrily, and followed them out the door. No sooner had she gotten over the doorsill then she realized a conspicuous absence of something around her wrist.

"Oh, no!" she cried.

"What?" Harry asked, slowing his pace to match hers.

"My bracelet came off," she answered, "the one you... er... gave me for Christmas this year."

Harry blushed. It had taken him quite a while to pick it out, as he wanted to be sure he got her something she would like.

"Get it tomorrow," Ron offered, though his mind was clearly on his stomach's grumbling.

"Ron, classes are over, the feast is Sunday. I won't be back in the greenhouses until next term." Hermione scowled. Without another hesitation, she turned back towards the door she had just left and called over her shoulder, "Go on and go to dinner you two," she told Harry and Ron, "I don't know where I dropped it, so this might take a bit."
The instant Hermione got in the back door of the greenhouse, she dropped to her knees to look for the thin braid of silver with its tiny star and moon charms. As she scuffled along the floor on all fours, she muttered more choice words regarding the fact that neither Ron nor Harry had cared to even wait for her.

Just as she thought these words, she noticed a pair of feet just to the side of the table she was currently searching under. Only when Hermione heard Harry's voice say, "Well, isn't that attractive?" did she realize that her backside was thrust so far in the air due to her bent position that this was most likely all Harry could see of her. She tried to stand up so quickly that she rapped her head smartly on the underside of the table that she saw stars.

When Hermione swore violently, Harry knelt down beside her and put a hand gently on the back of her head where her hands were clasped. "Are you all right?" he asked quickly.

Hermione nodded her head but, much to her shame, she couldn't control the tears that were springing to her eyes. She had hit her head quite sharply and could already feel a headache hammering in her temples.

"Oh, dear... oh," Harry said quietly and sat next to her. "Let me have a look."

He gently pried her fingers apart and moved her thick curls to have a look at where she had struck her head. There was a small red bruise forming, but no blood. Harry settled himself on the floor beside her and dragged over his bag, removing a small vial of deep purple liquid.
"Here, have a swallow," he said gently, and then, in response to her skeptical look, "It's headache potion. I took to carrying some after Voldemort returned."

Hermione nodded and downed the vial of liquid, pulling a rather strained face as she did. "Ugh," she muttered, "that stuff is awful."

Harry grinned and nodded. "Feel better?" he asked gently.

Hermione waited a beat as the throbbing pain receded and then nodded. She smiled up into his face but couldn't seem to form words. He was so close and his hand was still touching hers where he had taken the vial back. Hermione felt her face flush as they gazed at each other, but she couldn't seem to move or speak. A soft click and a few light whooshing noises brought them back to their senses quite visibly.

"Ah," Harry said, clearing his throat, "where did you say you think you dropped the bracelet?"

Hermione pointed vaguely to the corner where her bag had split as she was still somewhat unable to form words. They both crawled over the earthen floor, now unaware of the muddy tracks it was making on the knees of their robes, as they searched for the glint of silver among the twigs and leaves. When neither had come across anything after several minutes of searching, Hermione stood up and stretched her back.

"Where in the world could that have gone?" she wondered aloud. And then something struck her. They were alone. "Harry, wasn't Professor Sprout in here just a moment ago?"

"Mhmmm," Harry answered vaguely as he rose to his knees and began leafing through the plants on the nearest table.

"Well, she's not anymore," Hermione said grimly.

"Ah," Harry said, rising and brushing off the lower half of his robes. "I suppose we should probably go..."

Hermione's shoulders fell and she unconsciously clasped a hand around her wrist. She really hated the idea of leaving the bracelet; she adored it so.

"You could ask Professor Sprout at the Leaving Feast to look for it over the summer?" Harry offered helpfully.

Hermione nodded and allowed Harry to pick up her bag for her and lead her to the door. She was looking back at the greenhouse, hoping for a lucky glint of silver on her last look, when she plowed straight into Harry's stationary back. He had stopped at the door.

"Harry, what's the matter?" Hermione asked, righting herself and straightening his robes.

His face was grim and puzzled as he looked over his shoulder. "Does Professor Sprout usually lock the greenhouse doors?"

"Well, this one, she does," Hermione began without processing what he was insinuating. "After the Venomous Tentacula bit someone last year when they were playing a prank, she's taken to... keeping them... locked..." she finished slowly. "Are you saying we're locked in?"

Harry grumbled but drew his wand. "Can't be," he said firmly, "that would be ridiculous."

But as Hermione waited and waited, Harry performed every unlocking charm he knew (and then a few that she muttered to him over his shoulder). But nothing. Hermione had to resist the urge to push him out of the way and try it herself. After watching him try the door, she rushed to the opposite door of the greenhouse and tried that. Locked. And she scrolled through every unlocking charm she knew as well. Nothing

"Well," Harry said, seating himself on the front desk and grinning weakly at her. "What are you doing for the next few days or so?"

Hermione scowled and walked back across the greenhouse. She plunked down next to Harry, kicking her heels repeatedly into the front of the desk. "Apparently I'm spending them with you, locked in this greenhouse."

"Excellent," said Harry with a sardonic smile, "That's what I'm doing as well."

*****



A/N - Thanks for reading! Make sure to review! And stay tuned!