Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dursleys, Meet The Wizarding World by Ghoul In Pajamas

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: "FINALLY!" I'm sure that's what you all said when you got this update.. I'm terribly sorry, I know it's been forever, but here it is! You can thank my Spring Break, because that finally gave me the chance to work on it. The characters are still J.K.'s, go figure. Enjoy :)
Dudley ran down the stairs quicker than anyone would have believed he could, screaming all the way. “Hestia! Dedalus!” he shouted. “Ms. Longbottom!”

The frantic wizard and two witches, all with wands drawn, reached the foot of the stairs at the same moment that Dudley did. “What’s wrong?” asked Dedalus.

“There’s” There’s a”” Dudley panted. The sprint down the stairs left him out of breath. He pointed to the door as he breathed his unintelligible sentence one word at a time. “Outside”boy”I saw””

Hestia, Dedalus, and Ms. Longbottom turned toward the door, and Dudley collapsed onto the staircase, breathing heavily. Only a few seconds later, the boy could be seen through the front windows.

“No Witch or Wizard should even be able to see this house,” Augusta whispered.

Hestia put one finger to her lips, indicating they should be silent. No one spoke; no one moved. Everyone was waiting for something to happen.

The boy walked up the steps silently”if Dudley hadn’t seen him, no one would have known he was coming. He lifted his left hand up and removed his hood. Hestia’s wand suddenly slashed down violently, but, just as quickly, Ms. Longbottom’s hand was around Hestia’s wrist, stopping her spell.

“Dean?” Ms. Longbottom strode quickly to the door and yanked it open, just as the boy had lifted his hand to knock. “Dean Thomas! Get in here, boy! You nearly gave all of us heart attacks, sneaking up on front doors these days!”

“I’m sorry, Ms. Longbottom,” he said quickly. “I didn’t mean to scare you, only I had nowhere else to go, and Neville said I could””

“Yes, I know what Neville said,” interrupted Ms. Longbottom. “Who do you think told him to tell you?”

“Oh, thank you,” he said, looking even more surprised than when Ms. Longbottom had opened the door before he’d knocked.

“Wait, before you thank me, what is your favorite sport?” asked Ms. Longbottom.

“Football, of course!” Dean said.

“Well, it must be you, then, Dean. No one else has such poor taste in sports!” said Ms. Longbottom. Dean laughed and shrugged, not offended by her insult. “Dean, this is Hestia Jones and this is Dedalus Diggle, they’re both in the Order. And this is Petunia Dursley, and her son, Dudley.” Petunia was standing sheepishly in the doorway to the kitchen. Vernon was nowhere to be seen. “Everyone, this is Dean Thomas, a friend of Neville’s.”

“Nice to meet you,” said Dedalus, shaking Dean’s hand. “But what brings you here? Shouldn’t you be at Hogwarts with Neville?”

“I should,” said Dean bitterly. “But I’ve been on the run all year. I’m Muggle-Born.”

“Oh, well of course you’re much safer here,” said Dedalus.

“Why don’t we go into the living room to catch up?” asked Ms. Longbottom.

It wasn’t until he, Ms. Longbottom, and Dean were sitting that Dudley realized the others didn’t follow. He didn’t see where Hestia and Dedalus had gone, and his mum was still standing awkwardly in the door.

“How is Neville?” asked Dean. “I haven’t had a way to talk to anyone in months!”

“He is doing very well, and so is Seamus, which I’m sure was your next question. But Hogwarts isn’t quite what it used to be. Neville, Ginny Weasley, and that Loony-Luna Lovegood girl have reorganized Dumbledore’s Army to fight the Carrows.”

“That’s great! But who are the Carrows?”

“Oh, of course, you don’t know! Alecto and Amycus Carrow, death eaters and Hogwart’s two newest professors!” Her voice was dripping with hatred and disapproval.

“You’ve got to be kidding!” Dean exclaimed.

“I wish I was. But what’s worse? Can you guess who replaced Dumbledore?” Dean shook his head, to which Ms. Longbottom responded, “Snape.”

“Didn’t Snape kill Dumbledore?” asked Dudley, shocked.

“Yes,” answered Dean, who looked disgusted. “What has the D.A. been doing?”

Ms. Longbottom told them about the efforts to keep up Hogwarts students’ spirits by defying the Carrows and breaking kids out of detentions. She also told them about Unforgivable Curses being used in class, and with each piece of news, Dean became more and more shocked. Of course, Dudley was surprised, too, but he imagined it was worse for Dean to hear this about his own school.

“I can’t believe what is happening at Hogwarts!” exclaimed Dean.

“It’s very sad, when one of the safest places in the Wizarding World is no longer safe,” said Ms. Longbottom.

“Did you go to Hogwarts, too?” asked Dean.

It took a moment for Dudley to realize Dean was addressing him. “Oh, no, no,” Dudley said quickly. He realized he was laughing and hoped Dean didn’t think he was acting rudely. “I’m not a Wizard.”

“You two probably have a bit in common,” said Ms. Longbottom. “Dean is Muggle-born. You didn’t know you were a Wizard until you got your letter, did you, Dean? I’ll leave you two to talk while I start supper,” said Ms. Longbottom, leaving the room.

“Just like Harry,” Dudley commented under his breath.

“What was that you said?” asked Dean.

“My cousin, he didn’t know he was a Wizard until he got his letter, either.”

“Oh, so that’s how you’re involved in the Wizarding World! I wondered why a Muggle was hanging out in such a well-protected house with two guards from the Order,” Dean mused. “Is your cousin part of the Order or something?”

“Well, I don’t know if Harry’s in the Order, but he’s pretty big in the fight. He thinks You-Know-Who might be after us,” said Dudley.

“Harry?” asked Dean. “Do you mean Harry Potter?”

Dudley nodded, once again baffled by his cousin’s fame.

“I didn’t know Harry had a cousin,” said Dean.

“I don’t imagine he would have mentioned us. We sort of treated him like dirt for his entire life. It wasn’t until he saved my life last year that I stopped hating him.” Dudley’s face turned red from embarrassment.

“Come to think of it, I remember Harry mentioned that he was raised by a terrible lot of Muggles.”

Dudley looked up apologetically, but realized that Dean was laughing.

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” Dean said, laughing. “I know what a shock it is for Muggles to have a wizard around. My mum was almost afraid to come near me my first summer back from Hogwarts!”

Dudley laughed. “How do you know Harry?”

“We were roommates for six years! We were in the same year in Gryffindor. I’ll bet their room is very empty this year, with only Neville and Seamus. There used to be five of us.”

Two this year, thought Dudley, plus Dean makes three, plus Harry makes four. “Was Ron the fifth?” asked Dudley, hoping he had done his math right.

“Yeah, the rumor is that Ron’s home sick with Spattergroit, but my bet is that he’s with Harry!” said Dean.

“Probably so,” said Dudley, wondering what Spattergroit was. “So you’ve had to go on the run just because you’re Muggle-born?”

“Yes, according to You-Know-Who, our magic had to come from somewhere, so we must have stolen it.” Dean rolled his eyes. “Which makes perfect sense, of course,” he said sarcastically, “because that’s exactly what every eleven-year-old Muggle is thinking about.”

Dudley laughed. “When I was eleven, I was trying my best to avoid Magic! Of course, my parents had basically brainwashed me to hate it.”

Dean shrugged his shoulders, then yawned. “I’m exhausted. I haven’t gotten real sleep in weeks. Are you staying in Neville’s room?”

Dudley nodded.

“I guess we’re bunking together then,” said Dean. “I’ll see if Ms. L has a cot.”

“You can take the bed,” Dudley offered. “You probably need it more than I do.”

“Great, thanks,” said Dean. He pulled his wand from his jeans pocket, waved it lightly, and a black duffel bag appeared on the floor. Dean grabbed the bag and ran upstairs for an afternoon nap.

Dudley was surprised to have met yet another person who knew Harry so much better than he did. He’d been with them since they were babies, but only started learning about him a few months ago. He’d never even thought, or cared, about whether Harry had roommates, what his school was like, or who his friends were.

He was happy to talk to someone his own age, for a change. Though he got along with Hestia and Dedalus very well, it was easier to connect with another teenager.

***


For the past week, Dudley and Dean had been hanging out all the time and getting along very well. Dudley loved to hear about Hogwarts, wishing more and more with each story that he was a wizard, too.

Dean had taught Dudley to play Wizard’s Chess. Though Dudley had never gotten into chess before, Wizard’s Chess was much more exciting because of the pieces being smashed. Luckily, Dean wasn’t very good, either, so it was a fair match.

One morning, they slept late and finally walked downstairs at 11:00 for breakfast.

“Good morning, Ms. L” greeted Dean and Dudley simultaneously.

“It’s about time you two showed up,” said Ms. Longbottom, looking up from The Daily Prophet.

“We were up pretty late last night playing Wizard’s Chess,” admitted Dean.

“You were both playing?” she asked curiously.

“Well, I wasn’t playing myself,” joked Dean.

“But the pieces moved for Dudley, too?” she asked.

“Yeah,” said Dean.

“Interesting,” she said. Dudley was about to ask why this was interesting when she continued, “there’s some breakfast left in the dining room, unless Vernon’s gotten to it, of course.”

“Why do you think she said ‘interesting’ like that?” asked Dudley when Ms. Longbottom was out of earshot.

“Probably because a lot of Wizard’s Chess pieces don’t listen to someone they don’t know,” said Dean.

After breakfast, Dudley and Dean planned on searching Neville’s room for his Remembral. But they stopped in the foyer when they overheard hushed voices coming from the parlor. Dean shushed Dudley, and they tiptoed closer to the doorway to hear, careful to stay out of sight.

For the past few days, Hestia, Dedalus, and Ms. Longbottom had been keeping something from Dudley and Dean, their conversation ending abruptly when the boys entered the room.

“What if the death eaters are called on us?” asked Dedalus.

“We’ll just have to be ready for a fight,” said Hestia.

“Do you know how many death eaters are on call?”

“They’re all over the place now. There’s one standing outside the lifts on each floor and many more roaming the halls,” said Ms. Longbottom. “But I doubt any of them will be much of a problem. It seems as if Voldemort is allowing any daft thug who will fit into the cloaks to join these days.”

“We’ll be okay,” agreed Hestia. “All we need is enough time for you to get outside and Apparate.”

“Let’s go over this again,” said Ms. Longbottom. “Dedalus, you’ll go inside and distract the Welcome Witch. Hestia, you’ll be wearing a healer’s uniform and take me to the fourth floor. We’ll get Frank and Alice to change into robes and stun any healer that gets in our way. Then, we’ll walk outside and I’ll Side-Apparate Frank and Alice to Salem, Massachusetts.”

“And I’ll go back inside and help Dedalus with whatever mess he’s gotten himself into,” said Hestia sarcastically.

“Sounds like a plan!” said Dedalus.

“Are you two sure about this?” asked Ms. Longbottom. “It will be risky.”

“Of course, Augusta,” said Dedalus.

“I’m itching for action!” said Hestia, excited. “I didn’t join the Order to babysit.”

“Alright, as soon as we receive the Owl from the Salem Hospital for Witches and Wizards saying that they’re ready for Frank and Alice, we’ll leave,” said Ms. Longbottom.

Someone in the room stood up and, after sharing a knowing glance, Dudley and Dean raced up the stairs.

“They weren’t even going to tell us they’re planning to break Frank and Alice out of St. Mungo’s!” exclaimed Dudley as soon as they shut the door to Neville’s room.

“More like they weren’t going to let us help,” grumbled Dean.

“It’s not like I could do any good, but you could help,” said Dudley.

“I will. When that Owl comes, I’m going with them.”

***


It was at dinner two nights later that the Owl arrived to set everything in motion. However, it was not the Owl any of them were expecting. Dudley was gazing out the window, dragging his fork absentmindedly across his empty plate, as Vernon droned on about his usual complaints.

Somewhere between, “You’re brainwashing my family,” and “You-Know-Who probably doesn’t exist,” Dudley noticed a small speck in the sky. It grew larger and larger as it flew closer, and Dudley was sure it was an owl. He caught Dean’s eye and gestured to the window. Dean glanced outside, nodded to Dudley, and quickly shoved the remainder of his dinner down.

The owl caught everyone else’s attention when it landed gracefully on the windowsill and rapped the glass with its beak three times. “Ruddy owl,” grumbled Vernon.

Ms. Longbottom rushed to open the window, untying the parchment from the owl’s leg. Dudley could tell she was excited and anxious for the papers admitting Frank and Alice to the hospital in Salem. However, her face dropped after reading the first few lines, morphing quickly to annoyance. “Another letter from bloody St. Mungo’s,” she muttered.

Dean, Hestia, and Dedalus, who were all ready to pounce into action, relaxed. At the same moment, however, Ms. Longbottom’s frail fingers tensed on the delicate piece of parchment. She skimmed the letter frantically, her face filled with horror.

No one but Dudley seemed to notice. “What’s wrong, Ms. Longbottom?” asked Dudley.

Ms. Longbottom looked up, but directed her answer to Dedalus and Hestia more so than to Dudley. “They’ve been placed under maximum security watch.”

“Those bastards,” snapped Hestia.

“What exactly does maximum security mean?” asked Dedalus.

Ms. Longbottom help up the parchment and began reading.

“Dear Augusta Longbottom,

Your son, Frank Longbottom, and daughter-in-law, Alice Longbottom, are being placed under maximum security watch, due to their continued nuisance at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Because of the constant trouble they have caused and the danger they pose to St. Mungo’s staff and patients, we have no other option. There will be two Ministry Officials watching them at all times who will be prepared to take action to keep them in line if necessary Please contact your Magical Witch and Wizard Insurance Company to learn how this affects your costs.

Sincerely,

St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries”


“We can’t wait for the papers from the Salem Hospital,” said Hestia. “We need to get them out immediately.”

“We’ll use the same plan as before,” said Ms. Longbottom. “Hestia and I will just have to fight off more security.”

“I’m coming, too,” said Dean.

“Thank you, Dean, but it’s much too dangerous,” said Dedalus.

“It’ll be less dangerous if there are four of us, and not just you three,” said Dean.

“We’ve been trained for this, Dean,” said Ms. Longbottom. “Dedalus and Hestia are in the Order and I’ve seen my fair share of fights.”

“And I was in Dumbledore’s Army! Harry Potter trained me!” said Dean. “Please, Ms. L, you’re always bragging about how much good the D.A. is doing at Hogwarts. Let me help!”

“That’s different,” said Ms. Longbottom gravely. “They are fighting other children and two dim-witted death eaters. This is a highly guarded hospital.”

“I can handle it,” said Dean tersely. “How is it any safer for only three of you to go?”

“You risk much more than anyone else by being caught!” shouted Hestia. “You’re Muggle-born!”

“And you’re members of the Order!” shouted Dean back. “How much better do you think they’ll treat you if you’re caught?”

“But I knew that when I joined the Order, Dean,” said Hestia. “What have you been on the run for all this time? Certainly not for sport! And now you’re planning to run to them?”

“Being on the run taught me to care for myself,” said Dean. “I’m not the same kid I was last year at Hogwarts, and, believe me, I’ve had my share of fights in the past few months, too.”

“Dean, this isn’t your battle,” said Ms. Longbottom. “I’ve already dragged my friends into it; I’m not involving Neville’s friends, too.”

“I wasn’t asking if I could help,” said Dean stubbornly. “I am going. If you want to include me in your plans, then I’ll do as you say. If not, then I’ll follow you and find my own way to help.”

“Dean, do not follow us. You don’t need to get involved in this,” said Hestia warningly.

Dudley was only half-listening to their argument. An idea had sprung into his head and, amidst the chaos, he was trying to get everyone’s attention. But try as he might, they were all yelling at one another too stubbornly to allow a fifth person into the fight.

Eventually, Dudley gave up and ran up the stairs. He burst into Neville’s room and immediately began emptying his messy trunk, strewing his clothes all over the bedroom. Finally, he found the small, striped box at the bottom of the trunk. He grabbed this and ran clumsily back down the stairs, just in time to see Dean disappearing out the open front door. Hestia, Dedalus, and Ms. Longbottom were running away from the house. In an instant, they disappeared from the dark, open field outside with a loud pop.

Dudley ran after Dean, shouting for him to come back.

“Go back, Dudley!” shouted Dean. “Stay in the house where you’re safe!”

“Dudders! Come back!” shrieked Petunia from the porch. Dudley ignored her and continued after Dean.

“Wait! Dean, wait! I have something that will help!” Dudley shouted, but he was panting so heavily that he doubted Dean could understand him.

“Dudley, I have to catch up with them!” said Dean. “Go back! I’ll see you later!”

“Dudders! Come back inside!” cried Petunia. “Duddykins!”

Dean stopped abruptly, at the same exact spot that the others had disappeared. His entire body tensed for a moment and he took a deep breath. Dudley knew he had only seconds to get Dean’s attention before he Apparated. Though he was exhausted, panting heavily, and his legs burned from running, Dudley forced himself to sprint those last few steps. When he reached Dean, he clapped his huge hand on Dean’s skinny shoulder to turn him around.

But Dudley suddenly felt his body being pulled, contorted, and compressed; he gripped tightly onto Dean’s shoulder, for it was the only sense of direction he had. His lungs tightened and he was out of breath. Finally, his lungs opened up and he gasped a warm breath of air.

Dudley recognized the familiar sensation of Apparition and looked to see where Dean had taken him. The street wasn’t what he was expecting. It looked like any normal, Muggle street, with a coffee shop on one corner and a closed department store on the other.

“What the bloody hell do you think you’re doing?” Dean said in a very strained whisper. He grabbed Dudley and pulled him to a small alley where they were hidden from the street.

“I was trying to give you something, but you wouldn’t turn around,” said Dudley.

“I had to catch up with them,” Dead said exasperatedly. “Now I’ll never find them.” Then, shock covered his face. “I just Side-Apparated you! I’ve never done that before, and to do it when I’m not prepared! I’m surprised I didn’t Splinch you,” said Dean in a patronizing tone.

“You’re surprised you didn’t what?” asked Dudley, then he quickly added, “oh, nevermind! I wasn’t trying to come with you. I just thought these might help.” Dudley held out the small, striped box.

“Sweets?” asked Dean skeptically.

“No, it’s a Skiving Snackbox,” said Dudley, “from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes.”

Understanding immediately colored Dean’s expression. “That could help, but we need to get you back to the Longbottom’s before something bad happens.”

“No, that’ll ruin everything!” objected Dudley.

“They already told me not to come,” said Dean. “What do you expect they’ll say if they find out I’ve brought you, too?”

“But I’m already here!” said Dudley. “We can’t just do nothing to help them, and by the time you take me back to the Longbottom’s house, you will have missed your chance!”

“Yes, but””

“Stop saying but; let’s just go! They’re already ahead of us!”

With one last exasperated look, Dean agreed and started towards the deserted department store, Purge and Dowse, Ltd., with Dudley, who was armed with nothing but a Skiving Snackbox, at his heels.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this! What do you think? What's going to happen at St. Mungo's? Let me know!