Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fresh Start by Hypatia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Slytherin’s Legacy

Draco looked down at Scorpius as they walked through the deserted hallway. –Are you alright?”

Scorpius nodded, staring at his feet and fighting back the lump that was rising in his throat. He still couldn’t believe his best friend was gone. He’d only met Rosie Weasley a few weeks earlier but she was already the best friend he’d ever had, and now she was gone. He kept replaying the kidnapping in his head, wondering if there was more that he could have done to stop it. If only he’d learned more spells...

Draco put a comforting hand on his son’s shoulder. –I need to talk to you alone.”

He pulled Scorpius into a deserted classroom, locked the door, and put an Imperturbable charm on the door and windows. He then leaned in confidentially and whispered, –Listen very carefully. I know you’re upset because your friend was kidnapped, but I’m not convinced she was the target. It doesn’t make sense. We are far wealthier than Weasley or even Potter. If the kidnappers were after money, they should have tried to take you.”

Scorpius started to argue but Draco cut him off.

–I want you to be extremely careful. Avoid going outside and don’t go anywhere alone. The school’s staff are going to step up security, but I want to know that you won’t do anything… rash.”

Draco gave Scorpius a penetrating look.

–What do you mean?” asked Scorpius.

–Just… just don’t leave the school. However, my other concern is that if the school is infiltrated again, you’ll be trapped here. So, I’m giving you this.”

He reached into his robes and withdrew a forest green pouch made of velvet with an ornate silver ‘S’ embroidered on the front. Draco carefully untied the silver drawstrings and withdrew a ring, which he then handed to Scorpius.

–Jewellery?” asked Scorpius in disbelief.

Draco smiled despite the seriousness of the situation. –Not exactly. It’s a Slytherin Prefect’s ring. Salazar Slytherin was always concerned about Muggles storming Hogwarts. He made rings for the prefects of his house that would serve as an escape from any of the rooms in the dungeons, including the Slytherin common room and dormitories. It only serves as a way out of the school; it can’t be used to get back in.”

–Why do you still have it?” asked Scorpius, examining the old ring. It was a silver snake with an emerald eye, such that it entwined its body around the wearer’s finger.

Draco paused. –My last year at school didn’t end in typical fashion.”

–But... I’m not a Slytherin, I shouldn’t have it,” pointed out Scorpius uncomfortably. He was surprised to find himself engulfed in a hug.

–Slytherins take care of their own. I’m a Slytherin and you’re my son,” explained Draco, his voice thick. After a moment he broke away from the hug and cleared his throat.

–Here, let me show you how it works.”

*


–I still think that slimy git had something to do with it,” Ron growled.

Harry tried to shrug diplomatically. –Well, let’s start by taking these wands to Ollivander and see what he can tell us. If Malfoy did have something to do with it, he either wasn’t present or used a different wand.”

–He probably had goons do it for him,” continued Ron. –He got to the school pretty fast.”

–Ron... maybe you should go to Grimmauld Place with Hermione and Hugo...”

Ron’s glare stopped Harry mid-sentence. –Rosie’s my daughter; I’m going to get her back and then I’m going to kill whoever did this.”

Harry nodded. He’d dearly love to murder anyone who dared to harm his niece.

*


Scorpius walked with his father as far as the portrait of the Fat Lady before continuing alone into Gryffindor Tower. As he climbed through the portrait hole, he couldn’t help but think of the velvet pouch he carried; he still doubted whether he should be allowed to have it. His father had insisted though and his father had never let him down. Scorpius hoped that Albus was already back; he really didn’t want to have to face all the Gryffindors alone.

Upon having walked into the common room, his heart sank when he realized that there was no sign of Albus. Upon closer inspection, he noticed that there weren't any Potters or Weasleys within sight. However, the rest of Gryffindor seemed to be out in full force; there wasn't an empty chair available, not that Scorpius had any intention of sitting down. He wanted nothing more than to go to the relative privacy of his dormitory. A somewhat longer look around the common room confirmed that Mike, Nigel, Bernard, Adam and Josh were all present, meaning that if anyone was left in the dormitory it was Albus, the only person in the castle whom he wouldn't mind seeing just now.

Scorpius only got as a few steps towards the boys' staircase when a tall sixth year blocked his way.

–Are you going to tell us what happened?” demanded the older boy.

Scorpius had to crane his neck to be able to look his questioner in the eyes. Before he could answer, a seventh year girl snapped, –Honestly, Wood! How do you expect him to answer that?”

She turned to Scorpius and said in a much calmer voice. –The entire school was called to assemble in the Great Hall and then Professor Longbottom had us all escorted here. He told us there’d been a kidnapping and then asked all the Potters and Weasleys to go with him, leaving all of us here wondering what’s happened.”

Here she gave Wood another annoyed look before continuing, –And some of us seem to think that Professor Longbottom left them in charge.”

Wood looked insulted. –Well, I am a Prefect...”

–And a git,” interrupted the older girl. She turned to Scorpius. –Would you mind telling us what you know? We’ve been waiting for news for over two hours.”

Scorpius nodded and began to explain, –Rosie, Albus and I were on our way to visit Professor Hagrid when we were attacked.”

–Are you the only one who got away?” asked Yusef in surprise.

Before Scorpius could reply, a fifth year girl who Scorpius had also seen with Arthur Weasley a few times jumped in. –Albus and Rosie weren’t both taken were they?”

A wide eyed girl with long brown braids asked, –Is Professor Hagrid alright? I didn’t see him with the rest of the staff in the Great Hall.”

A lump rose in Scorpius’s throat but he continued miserably, –No, everyone’s fine except for Rosie. She was hit with a Body-Bind Curse and then they carried her off over the Forbidden Forest.”

Shannon Finnegan gave a soft moan and covered her face with her hands. Cassandra Tulley put a comforting arm around her; she looked like she might very well start to cry too.

–Don’t worry,” Cassandra mumbled. –Rosie’s dad and uncle are Aurors; they’ll get her back.” She looked up at Scorpius. –Right?”

Scorpius gulped then paused before answering. –They’ve already started looking.”

–Do they have any idea who did it?” asked Mike Creevey.

This time Scorpius was saved the trouble of answering by the portrait hole opening again. To his relief, Arthur, Gideon, James, Fred, and Albus walked in, accompanied by Professor Longbottom.

–Yeah, Dad thinks...” began James.

–I expect that your father’s investigation is supposed to remain confidential,” interrupted Professor Longbottom.

James’s face flushed. He mumbled, –Er, Dad and Uncle Ron have some ideas.”

–Well, we can be thankful that Albus and Scorpius were with Rosie at the time. They’ve provided Harry and Ron with their best clues thus far. Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll get Rosie back quickly and catch whoever is responsible.”

Neville turned to address the rest of his house. –I know this has been a very trying day for all of you. We have placed additional security to the school and grounds. The centaurs have kindly agreed to let us know about any activity within the Forbidden Forest, all of the teachers have placed their own protections upon the school, and Aurors have also been stationed near the entrance to the school. However, we’re asking each of you to be extra cautious. While no one can get into the school, we are concerned at the idea of students being lured outside of the safety of the grounds. If any of you receive a request from anyone, even a parent, to leave the school, I want you to contact myself or another member of staff. There is no reason to be alarmed; we are simply doing everything within our power to keep each of you safe.”

Shannon was still sniffling in a corner. A few of the first and second years looked frightened.

Neville continued in a softer tone, –As I said before, I know this has been difficult for all of you, and if anyone would like to go to see Madam Pomfrey or simply just talk to any of their teachers, you are welcome to do so. Also, you needn’t feel that you have to stay in Gryffindor Tower; you’re all safe within the castle. I’ll be in my office if anyone wants to talk, and I have hot cocoa and biscuits.”

*


–Reducto!” yelled a furious voice. The door to Lucius Malfoy’s study splintered into tiny pieces. Lucius looked up from Nature’s Nobility and glared at the intruder.

–What have you done?” shouted Draco.

–Since you’re the one who just blasted down my door, I could ask you the same thing, Draco.”

–Where is she? What have you done with her?” Draco bellowed, pointing his wand at his father.

–What have I done with whom? And put that away, Draco,” he commanded with an edge to his voice.

–Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about! I will go to the Aurors if I have to; you’ve gone too far! And if you dare to try it again...”

Lucius gave Draco a look of utter bewilderment. –Draco, are you going to even tell me what it is you’re accusing me of?”

–A botched kidnapping, with my son as the target!”

–WHAT?” roared Lucius.

–Now, tell me what you did with the girl!”

–I didn’t do anything with any girl! I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

–Draco! What do you think you’re doing?” snapped Narcissa, entering the study.

Draco pointed an accusing finger at his father. –Your husband staged a kidnapping. I still don’t know if the point was to actually kidnap Scorpius, bankrupt me, or to simply frame me for another child’s abduction so that you two would be able to take custody of my son, but I intend to find out,” he explained, his voice shaking with rage.

Narcissa gasped. –How dare you say that, Draco? How could you even think such a thing? Your father would never endanger...”

Draco interrupted, –He opened the Chamber of Secrets in my second year; he’s capable of quite a lot. Did he tell you about that at the time? Did he even consider the danger he was putting me and all the other students in? Somehow, I doubt that Basilisk would have cared about my blood status, had it crossed my path.”

Narcissa bit her lip and twisted her hands until her knuckles turned white.

Lucius snapped, –Whatever I did before, your current conspiracy theory is preposterous! I obviously had nothing to do with this.”

Draco lost his temper. –Don’t pretend with me! I know you’re behind it! I saw your wand; the Aurors have it!”

–Don’t be ridiculous, my wand’s right here,” answered Lucius, striding to his desk. He yanked open the drawer and then the colour drained from his face.



Chapter Endnotes: To everyone who's been leaving reviews, thank you so much! They're actually a huge encouragement to me to continue to work on this story (some chapters have been a lot easier to write than others). My life is pretty busy at the moment and it's been time consuming enough to write short chapters. I do however enjoy reading each and every review, even if I don't currently have the time to respond.