Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Walking in Darkness by shadow_ks

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The pair do some research.
“No, Miss Granger,” Severus snarled at Hermione. “I do not now, or in the future, need your help with these experiments. Go back to your books and research. Minerva may have asked me to work with you, but that does not mean I must work with you.”

Heaving an irritated sigh, Hermione flounced back to her desk and the tottering pile of books on its surface. She ducked her head behind the one closest to her, scowling at the printed pages, an embarrassed flush staining her cheeks. When Minerva had told her Professor Snape was willing to work with her, she had been elated. She would now have a chance to try out other forms of research with experimental potions.

The problem was that Professor Snape was now even more withdrawn and snarky than he had ever been when she was a student. He refused to let her give any input and was treating her like an ignorant first year, sending her off to her books whenever she approached him.

She understood that it couldn’t be easy for him. He had all his regular teaching and supervisory duties during the day and then had to work in the makeshift potions lab in the North Tower after sunset, the only time it was safe for her to be about, with the know-it-all he so obviously detested.

Lowering her book slightly, she glared at her ex-professor. What she couldn’t understand was why he was ignoring her completely since it was her dilemma they were trying to solve. Surely it would be more beneficial to their research to enquire about her symptoms, her cravings or any side effects? But no, the great Professor Snape carried on all by himself, as usual.

Slowly, Hermione placed the book back on the table, got to her feet, and quietly made her way to where the professor was bent over his work. For a few minutes, she watched him over his shoulder as he prepared the last of the ingredients he was adding to the brew. It didn’t take her long to identify the brew. It was apparently a mixture between a Blood Replenishing Potion and a Strengthening Solution. A phial of slightly viscous, red liquid was lying to the right of Snape’s workspace.

“What is in that phial, Professor?”

Snape, who was concentrating on slicing the daisy roots symmetrically, had not heard her approach. He jumped as she spoke, causing his knife to slip, slicing his index finger instead.

Cursing under his breath, Severus reached for a bit of material lying on the desk, twisting it around his finger. He then levelled his glare on the hapless young woman who had caused his misfortune.

“Are you some kind of imbecile, Miss Granger, that you would creep up on a person who could be preparing potentially volatile substances? Has six years of Potions lessons taught you absolutely nothing?” he barked at her.

Hermione bristled at this insinuation of her incapability. She took a step towards the angry man in front of her.

“For your information, Professor, I did not interrupt you in the preparation of just any potion. I had already identified the potion you were preparing, as well as ascertained that it was not a dangerous item that you were working with,” she indicated the now bloodied roots, glaring back at him.

“Never the less, it is your fault that the final ingredient for this potion has been ruined.”

“If you would deign to tell me some of the things you are working on, I might not need to ask you questions constantly. I’m sure you do realise that I am no longer your student, and you might have noticed, this problem does concern me somewhat!”

Severus took a deep breath, closing his eyes in exasperation. He was not going to get this potion finished if he continued this childish sparring with her.

“Fine, Miss Granger. I am trying a combination of Blood Replenishing Potion and Strengthening Solution. The ingredients in both potions, when combined, have a calming effect on cravings. This new concoction is commonly used to help with the rehabilitation of wizards addicted to… certain substances.”

Hermione nodded her understanding. “So you were hoping this mixture would calm my cravings, rendering me less dangerous. What about the need for nourishment?”

Severus glanced at her. “Correct. The issue of nourishment was to be solved by adding this.” He held up the phial of red liquid. “I assume you are the cause of the diminished rat population within the castle grounds?” When Hermione nodded again, flushing slightly, Severus continued. “This is a vial of rat blood. I had hoped that adding this to the new mixture would solve that particular problem, allowing you more time for research as you will not need to go hunting.”

As he spoke, Severus adjusted the makeshift bandage on his finger. His blood was already seeping through.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Professor! Please let me heal that for you.” Hermione hurried towards him, her wand in one hand, her other outstretched as if to take hold of his injured digit.

“No thank you, Miss Granger. I am quite capable of sorting out my own injuries. If you would be so kind as to return to your research, so I may with continue mine.”

Severus turned away from the young woman, the blood-soaked material falling to the ground as he did so.

Hermione’s footsteps stopped dead. The cold-shoulder treatment never seemed to fail with the eager young witch. Severus smirked to himself.

Hermione had watched the bit of fabric drop to the floor. She stopped, her eyes locked on the ruby red liquid soaked into the fibres. Her nostrils flared as the first, tantalising, metallic scent reached her. She licked her lips and closed her eyes. The smell of fresh human blood enveloped her, dulling her mind to all else, except the fact that she would soon be drinking from this newfound fountain of bliss.

Severus did not turn around as he heard the footsteps resume. He assumed she would return to her desk, just as she had always done. It was only when he felt a presence behind him that he knew all was not well.

Hermione shoved her prey into the wall before he could fully turn around. With her hand on his neck, she pushed upwards until just his toes were brushing the floor. In the back of her mind, Hermione was amazed at the strength she was capable of.

With her free hand, she grabbed her victim’s injured finger, lifting it up to her face. Again she inhaled the scent of the blood, felt the wild beating of the pulse in his wrist. She could feel her incisors lengthening in anticipation of what was to come. Slowly, she drew the finger into her mouth and sucked on the wound.

Releasing his finger, she adjusted her hold on her prey, dropping his position to a more accessible height. Almost lovingly, she brushed away the strands of black hair that concealed what she truly desired. Once his neck was bared to her gaze, she caressed the soft skin. Just one bite and it would all be over for him.

She looked at his face one last time before striking. Black fire met her gaze. A mixture of horror, resignation and (could it be) understanding shimmered in his eyes. It was the understanding that broke her from her trance-like state.

“NO!” she cried, backing away from him, revulsion and terror coursing through her. “What did I do? What was I thinking?” she sobbed.

Hermione turned and fled to her open window, escaping into the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Severus sat slumped against the wall. He used what strength was left in his limbs to stand himself up and stumble back to his work bench.

There he sat with his head in his hands, calling himself every name he could think of.

He had become soft, too complacent. He had let himself grow comfortable around her. He knew what she was, but he had allowed himself to forget. He was too involved with enjoying the company of a young woman who was not afraid of him, not frightened to tell him where to get off if she thought he was in the wrong.

As much as he tried to lay the blame on her, he knew it lay squarely on his shoulders. As soon as she had raised his finger to her lips, he knew. It was his fault; he should not have left an open and bleeding wound in front of a vampire. He had expected the sharp pain in his neck and for his end to come quickly. He had not expected the look of realisation in her glazed eyes mere seconds before the horror and revulsion at her actions.

It seemed the smell and sight of the blood had been too overwhelming for her to resist. But why had she not reacted the same way to the rat blood? Perhaps it was the fresh blood that had been so over-powering.

Severus lowered his hands from his head, staring at the injured finger where the blood had begun to ooze again. He looked at it intently for a long while, as if it had all the answers hidden beneath the skin.

Severus jerked upright as if something had struck the back of his head. His finger did have all the answers! Well, at least his blood did.

He had noticed over the past few weeks of working in such close proximity to the girl (no, young woman) that she was becoming even more frail and ill. She was much paler than when he had first come across her, the dark circles under her eyes looked like heavy bruising, and she was definitely getting thinner by the day. He knew she was hunting rats and other small creatures in the forest, but it did not seem to be making much difference.

She needed human blood to survive.

Unfortunately for her, she refused to allow human blood to pass her lips. It was a very admirable promise, but it would not do for the silly twit to waste away because of her stubbornness.

The only solution was that she never knew about it. She could continue to think she was swallowing rat blood.

Grabbing his silver dagger, Severus quickly drew it along the delicate flesh inside his elbow. Holding a clean phial to the wound, he soon gathered enough blood to finish his potion.

Severus distractedly cast a healing charm over his arm and finger and inspected the bloodied daisy roots. If he was to use his own blood in this potion, they would not be wasted after all.

He just hoped his plan would work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Big thanks to my betas, Lumiere and Charmed3. G, couldn’t do it without you.