Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Walking in Darkness by shadow_ks

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Severus and Hermione go to Transylvania
A/N: Although there is a character death warning, it most definitely is not one of the main ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Severus shivered slightly in the chill dampness. He glanced over at his companion, her features lit by the flickering flames. He was not so sure that this had been the best idea.

The last week of the school term had been spent making plans and arrangements for their trip to Transylvania.

Severus had found a stout, oak sapling deep in the Forbidden Forest. It was still young, but old enough for one of its branches to be shaped into a dangerous weapon. Hermione soaked the wood in the mixture of their blood for two days then placed it under a Stasis Spell to keep the blood fresh. She quickly wrapped it in thick leather and placed it in her bag to avoid any temptation.

Since neither of them knew how long they would be out of the country, Severus brewed a large batch of Hermione’s potion, being careful not to let her see him add his own blood. Severus did not want her to weaken again, or worse, succumb to the hunting instincts again.

The night before the end of the school year, Severus and Hermione joined Professor McGonagall in her office and explained the specifics of their mission to her.

“Surely you could wait a little longer?” she had fussed. “I can organise at least one or two Aurors to accompany you, someone who could be trusted with our secret?”

“It is not possible, Minerva,” Severus had patiently explained. “If we are to lure the creature out, we cannot do it in a large group; I am sure you can understand the need for us to be able to move quickly and under this disguise. It is the best plan we have.”

In the end, Minerva had agreed.

The following evening, after the last student had left the grounds of Hogwarts and the sun had sunk safely behind the horizon, the two had walked down to the gates and Apparated to the mountains of Transylvania.

Their plan was simple.

The vampire that had attacked Hermione was obviously one that found pleasure in the hunt. Since the vampire had called Hermione ‘Mudblood,’ she believed the vampire might be a Muggle hater, and therefore searched them out as her food source.

Hermione suggested they disguise themselves as Muggles on holiday. Minerva had provided them with the perfect cover. She had found an old tent in the back of the closet where Dumbledore’s belongings had been stored. From the outside, it looked like a normal Muggle tent, but the inside was the size of a small flat. It reminded Hermione of the tent she had stayed in with Harry and the Weasleys during the Quidditch World Cup.

At night, they would set up the tent, start a fire and Hermione would cook Severus a meal over the flames. Severus knew they could not use magic, but still refused to do menial tasks ‘like a house elf.’ Hermione kept quiet, reasoning that she should be grateful he was there with her. After dinner they would sit around the campfire, talking endlessly about any topic

In the morning, Hermione would Apparate by herself to the cave she had woken up in the first morning after her attack, while Severus remained in the tent until the sun was high in the sky, and the chances of the vampire attacking were nonexistent. Severus would then join the young witch in the cave and roll out a Muggle sleeping bag. Together they would sleep through the daylight hours, comfortably wrapped in each other's arms.

This had been the routine every day for a week. Severus was beginning to think their trap was faulty and the vampire would never come.

Severus again glanced at his companion. The glamour charm she had placed on them had rendered them unrecognisable to any one who did not know them. Hermione’s long, red hair glinted in the firelight, and her new, blue eyes reflected the dancing flames.

Severus fingered his own new short, curly, blond locks. Severus had been livid when he saw his new hair, but Hermione had insisted on a complete change. She had also made his nose smaller (for which he was grateful, even if it was only temporary), and made his voice slightly higher pitched (for which he was not so grateful); she said his voice was far too distinctive.

Hermione looked up to see Severus fingering his hair with a scowl on his face.

“Careful, Severus or some one will recognise you from that fierce scowl! Besides, your hair will go back to normal once we have removed the glamour.”

She laughed when he immediately dropped his hand, and rearranged his features to a blank mask.

“I would have you know, I was not worrying about my hair. I was contemplating our lack of success with our task. So far we have not seen anything of interest.”

“I know. I was thinking that if we have no success in the next few days, we should return home and rethink our strategy.”

“Excellent suggestion, all this sleeping on the hard ground is doing my back in. What I would not give for a nice”"

“Good evening.”

Severus and Hermione jumped. The soft, feminine voice had come from nowhere. Severus peered into the dark beyond the firelight, chills chasing each other up and down his spine. He knew that voice…

A tall, slim figure stepped into the fire glow, its long, blond hair gleaming. Hermione bit back a startled gasp as Narcissa Malfoy extended her hand graciously towards her, as if welcoming her to tea at Malfoy Manor.

“I am so sorry to disturb you,” she said, her cold hand clasping Hermione’s. “I am also camping nearby and decided to take a walk in the moonlight. Silly me, I forgot where it was we had set up, and I thought this was my campsite.”

“My husband will be so worried when he realises I am lost,” she continued, when neither of them spoke. “Would it be possible to request your assistance? I am sure you would be able to escort me back to my husband safely.” She turned to Severus and let a sad, little smile play on her lips.

Mrs Malfoy played the distressed woman so well. If Hermione had not instantly recognised that voice, she would have been convinced of her pleas.

Severus cleared his throat. “Yes, of course I would be happy to escort you. Forgive me for my previous lack of manners. We were not aware of any other campers. Your appearance came as a bit of a shock.”

Hermione finally regained her wits. “Would you like some tea before my friend takes you back? I am sure you must be thirsty from your walk.”

Narcissa turned cold eyes to Hermione. “No, thank you. I must get back as soon as possible.”

“Fine. Let me get the torch so you can see your way.” Hermione turned wide eyed towards Severus. He saw the confirmation of his fears in their depths.

Hermione rushed into the tent, ripped open her bag and pulled out the little phial of Veritaserum she had thought to bring along, as well as the leather package she had shoved to the bottom. She then pulled out her wand and made her way quietly to the tent flap. She only had one chance at this. Her hands were shaking so badly, she was not sure she would be able to aim straight.

“What is taking her so long? I need to get back, now!” Narcissa was clearly getting impatient.

Hermione lifted the flap and peered at the scene outside. Severus was standing where she had left him, while Narcissa had stalked off a few feet to the right, her back towards the fire.

Severus turned his head, looked directly at Hermione and dipped his chin down in the slightest of nods.

It was all the encouragement Hermione needed.

Stupefy!

A bolt of red light shot from the end of Hermione’s wand, hitting the vampire square in the back. Narcissa toppled forward and lay motionless on the ground.

Severus quickly strode forward. Ropes flew from his unsheathed wand, binding the unconscious woman.

Once she was secure, Hermione ran forward, into Severus’ waiting arms.

“Oh, Severus! Is it really her? I never realised it would be so terrifying when I saw her again!”

Severus smoothed his hands up und down Hermione’s back.

“Unfortunately, we have just discovered what became of the missing Mrs Malfoy. Yes, Hermione, it is her.”

At the harshness in his voice, Hermione stepped back so that she could see into his face. It was a mixture of anger and despair.

“Severus, she was one of your friends. I will not begrudge you if you want to leave. I must do something about her though. You saw tonight how she lures unsuspecting Muggles into the dark. I am sure she could not wait to pounce on one of us. She has to be stopped.”

“No, Hermione. I will not let you do this alone. Narcissa was never truly a friend of mine. She was more the wife of a good friend. I just wonder how she came to this. Pass me the stake, Hermione, and we will see this done.”

“Wait, Severus.” Hermione withdrew the glass phial. “Don’t you want to know why she left her husband, her son? There must be a reason. Maybe we can save her too.”

Severus stared at the tiny phial. After a long pause, he nodded his head once in acquiescence.

Hermione knelt beside the bound woman and poured a few drops into her open mouth. Once she was standing again, Severus flicked his wand and muttered, “Enervate!

Narcissa’s eyes flew open, and she immediately began to struggle against her bonds.

“Who are you?” She screamed. “What do you want? You will pay for this!”

Hermione suddenly realised they were still in their disguises. A few complicated flicks of her wand later, Severus Snape stood towering over their captive.

“Severus! I should have known” she hissed. Her gaze flicked to Hermione. “Ah, the little Mudblood. Are you enjoying my gift?”

“Cease!” Severus’ voice echoed around the clearing. “Why, Narcissa?”

“Why what, Severus? Why did I infect your filthy little girlfriend? Because I could, and it was fun.”

“Why would you leave like you did? You know Lucius loves you. How could you leave your husband and son?”

“My husband!” she spat. “The useless moron. We could have had everything. The Dark Lord would have won if it weren’t for the snivelling turncoats like you and my dearest husband.”

“But why would you care? All you professed to want was the safety of your family. Why would you care what side Lucius was on, as long as you kept your family and your possessions?”

“Why? Why? The Dark Lord was everything. Without him we are nothing. Letting filth and slime like that,” she indicated to Hermione with a toss of her head, “into our schools, stealing our secrets. Bella showed me the true way. I went with her to a meeting. The Dark Lord opened my eyes. Then Lucius lost his nerve, claimed to see the error of his ways. Worst of all, he corrupted my son too. And now he plays nicely with the Potter brat.” Narcissa paused as a sob escaped her.

“I could not stand it any longer. I came here to visit an old cousin of mine, and met some interesting friends of his. I longed for the power they had, and eventually one of them consented to give it to me. Imagine my surprise when I came across a tasty little morsel, just waiting for me in the bushes and one of Potter’s friends as well. I knew her fragile little soul could not handle the desire to drink human blood. It was only a matter of time before she wasted away. It was the perfect revenge.”

Narcissa turned her head and glared spitefully at Hermione.

“Tell me, Mudblood, how is it you stand here so healthy? Did you finally breakdown and let human blood past those filthy lips?”

Her gaze turned again to Severus. “Ah, but you found yourself a Potions Master. It is still only a matter of time. You need to drink human blood to survive. You have only delayed the inevitable!

“Enough of your insane prattling! For the first time I can honestly find a family resemblance to your sister.”

Narcissa’s evil cackle bounced off the trees, raising the hairs on the back of Hermione’s neck.

Hermione looked up at the tree tops to the lightening sky. She did not know how she was going to be able to do this.

“If you are going to kill me, do it now, Mudblood. I have nothing more to say to either of you, and I do not wish to prolong this little scene any longer. Do it. Do it now,” Narcissa taunted.

Hermione reached into her pocket and pulled out the leather-wrapped package. Slowly, she loosened the bindings, exposing the blood-soaked stake. She removed the Stasis Spell and wrapped her right hand around the base, the pointed end protruding ten inches past her little finger. Looking up into Severus’ blank face, Hermione once again knelt beside the bound woman. Narcissa’s face was turned away from Hermione, her eyes closed. She looked like she was sleeping, or dead.

Hermione positioned the stake above the woman's heart. She raised he arm slightly, ready to plunge the weapon down, and stopped.

“I can’t do it.” Despair made Hermione’s voice rough. “I just cannot do it.”

Suddenly a warm hand wrapped around her cold one.

“But I can, Hermione. For Draco, for Lucius, but mostly, I can do this for you.”

The first rays of sunlight bathed the ground around them as the stake plunged downwards.

Hermione let out a scream of agony before the darkness claimed her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sick. Oh, how she felt sick. Slowly, Hermione opened her eyes, but shut them immediately as the pain shot through her head. She was lying on something rather uncomfortable, somewhere rather draughty and she was getting cold. How very strange. Suddenly, everything came back. Severus, Narcissa… Her death.

But she wasn’t dead. Forcing her eyes open, Hermione made herself look around. She was lying in a cave.

Hermione sat up carefully, her foot brushing something soft. She closed her eyes. Was she reliving a nightmare? A rat. It must be a rat. It would be a freshly killed rat to tempt her. The thought made her feel ill.

“Welcome back.”

The warm voice echoing off the cavern walls made Hermione jump. Her eyes snapped open and settled on the dark figure of Severus Snape, sitting at her feet and watching her very intently.

Hermione took a deep shuddering breath… Wait, she took a breath! She was breathing! She took another breath, and another. She then put her hand to her face. It was warm. Placing her other hand on her thigh, she gave it a good, hard pinch.

“Ouch!” she yelped.

Severus, who had been watching her inspection with growing amusement, let out a smothered laugh at this last declaration of her returned humanity.

Hermione glared at him, sniffed in annoyance (because she could), then leapt into Severus’ arms. Tears of joy and relief slid unheeded down her cheeks as they held on to each other.

“Oh Merlin, Severus. We did it. We actually did it!”

Severus held his living, breathing, rambling witch close to him.

A long while later Hermione sat back and looked into Severus’ face.

“Narcissa. Where is she now?”

“There was nothing left but a pile of ashes,” Severus replied.

“What will you tell Lucius?”

“I don’t know yet. It may be kinder for her to just remain missing.”

Hermione nodded in agreement. With deep sigh, she rested her head on his chest. Severus was content just to hold her.

After a while, her soft voice floated up to his ears.

“I know what you did, Severus.”

At his puzzled silence, she continued, “With the potion. I know you added your own blood.” Hermione felt him stiffen.

“I realised it after I read that book the first time. It stated that a vampire cannot live without human blood. Yet my health had somehow improved with just rat blood. At first I was upset that you did it behind my back. I thought you could have at least told me. Then I realised how stubborn I could be, and that I had vowed never to drink human blood. I know you only did it to help me. I think I love you even more for that.”

Hermione felt him pull away slightly. She sat back and looked into his blank face again.

“You do realise what you have done though? When a vampire ingests blood, it is also ingesting the victim’s soul. By giving me your blood, you also gave me part of your soul. Not a huge piece, or enough to damage yours, but we are connected now. You are connected to me for the rest of your life Severus Snape, and don’t you dare think you can get rid of me easily!”

Severus stared at the witch in his arms. Slowly, the ice inside him began to melt. His stoic mask crumpled into lines of relief.

Severus' arms tightened around Hermione with such force that she felt the air leave her lungs yet again. She didn’t mind. There was safety there, and she knew she would find love and comfort in those arms.

Much later, hand in hand, Severus and Hermione left the cave. For the first time in months, Hermione lifted her face to the caressing rays of the sun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was walking on a tightrope. Just as he gained his balance, the rope would sway, threatening to topple him down into the dark chasm yawning below him. He took one staggering step forward, then another. The line seemed to steady, allowing him to breathe easier. There was a figure on the other side, beckoning him closer. As he took another halting step forward, wiping the sweat from his eyes, the figure suddenly became clear. Albus was there. He was right there. He was holding the rope securely, promising him safety and protection if he could just make it across. A bright, intense red light seemed to fill the darkness gaping below him. Albus disappeared, vanished, gone, taking the safety with him. The cord sagged. He was falling, falling… evil red eyes appearing behind the light, penetrating him, leaving him naked, as high, cruel laughter reverberated around his skull… Suddenly, the cord tightened. He looked up to where Albus had been, but it was someone else holding the cord. He blinked again, trying to clear the buzzing in his brain, to see his rescuer.

“Come to me, Severus.”

“Yes.”

Severus shook his head, clearing his vision. It was Hermione holding the rope. She was promising him the safety he sought. With more confidence, Severus took another step across the rope. With each movement the rope became steadier. The red eyes receded and as Severus stepped onto the safe ground of the other side, they disappeared completely. Severus strode forward into Hermione’s embrace.

“I am here with you, Severus. You are safe and I will never let you go…”

Severus woke suddenly, a sense of peace enveloping him. Quietly Severus leaned up on his elbow to look at the witch sleeping beside him, a shaft of sunlight playing across her body. She looked so peaceful and content.

A strange, foreign feeling crept through him. It was almost as if… But it couldn’t be. Yes, yes it was.

Severus was happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A/N: Extra special hugs, sloppy kisses and chocolate to my fabulous betas, Lumiere and Charmed3. Ladies, I would never have finished this without your help and support.

G, as always, you are the best.

Thanks as well to everyone who has reviewed. Your support has been fantastic.