Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Parallel Universe for James and Lily by ColorsOfTheWind

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
If I could find you now things would get better
We could leave this town and run forever
I know somewhere, somehow we'll be together
Let your waves crash down and on me
And take me away
-Yellowcard, Ocean Avenue

Chapter Two: I didn't mean to do that!

"Are you going to talk to me?"

It was Saturday morning and James and Lily were in the Head's common room, Lily on one side of the room, James on the other.

"I have to. We have to work out the prefect's shifts. So get your lazy butt over here and let's start." Lily said simply. James happily walked over to Lily and sat down in the chair next to her.

"Now, Mitchell and Selsbury should be able to take over shift three, since they won't have any classes then and they're not on the Quiddich team." Lily said, scribbling down Mitchell and Selsbury under Shift 3 on a chart McGonagal had given them. She let her hand rest on the table as she studied the list of prefects. James couldn't help it. He rested his hand on top of Lily's. She looked like at him like he was crazy and scolded him.

"James, we're going to be living together and---" Lily was cut off.

"You just called me James instead of Potter!" James said in awe. Lily turned a light red color.

"Well, like I said, we're going to be living together, so we might as well get along with no romance involved." Lily said as her cheeks turned back to normal. James looked down at his hand and waited a few minutes to speak again.

"Wisteria and Enilejna can do shift one."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was raining out, and the students were forced to stay inside that day. James and Lily stayed in their dorm all day. Lily sat on the couch, reading a spell book. James was on the other side, staring at Lily, barely blinking.

"Lily, could we please talk?" James asked for maybe the hundreth time. Lily finally put down her book and gave a disgruntled,

"Fine." James walked over to her and sat in the chair next to her's and began talking,

"Do you know what it's like to be rejected?"

Lily opened her mouth to say something, but closed it after thinking about the question. She had never been the dating type. She shook her head and James nodded his.

"I'm sure you haven't. Well, take it from someone who gets rejected by a certain special someone everyday," he gave her an odd look at this, "It's not fun."

Lily, for the first time, looked at James's eyes with something other than hatred. Pity and guilt.

"James, I don't know what to say." she said lamely.

"You don't have to say anything. I just want you to think about that." James said reluctantly. "I'll leave you to your book."

He turned to go back to his original chair.

"James, wait." Lily said quickly. James spun around and raised his eyebrows. Lily had no idea what she was about to do until she did it.

She kissed James Potter. That immature James Potter who made her sick and deserved to eat frog's droppings. When she pulled away, realizing what she and done, James looked at her with wide eyes.

"I-- I didn't mean to do that!" Lily squeaked. But James's face had just broke out into a grin.

"You like me." he said playfully, batting his eyelashes.

"Don't get cocky, Potter, I didn't mean to kiss you!" Lily said grudgingly.

"But you did." James said slyly. Lily turned red and snapped,

"Just when I thought we could be friends, you had to go and get all vain and cocky again!" She scowled at James and ran up to her dorm.

James leaned back on his chair, thought about what just happened, and said under his breath,

"Damn, I'm an idiot."

James sighed, mentally hit himself on the head and sulked all the way up to his dorm. He quickly wrote a letter to Sirius, knowing he couldn't talk to him in this, er, "form". He sent it with Niddy, his owl and anxiously waited for a response.

Over with Sirius...

"Sirius, you got a letter." Remus said, looking up as a brown owl with a white line down it's chest swooped in and a letter was dropped off next to Sirius.

"That's James's owl." he muttered as the owl flew out. He opened up the letter and read it through slowly, not believing it's content, Remus looking over his shoulder, Peter not paying attention.

Dear Sirius,

You won't believe what happened! Lily Evans kissed me! But then, I got all cocky and she hates me AGAIN! What should I do? What should I say? I have no idea what to do! Everytime I talk to her, my stomach does this big flip-flop and I feel ready to throw up! If you want to come talk to me, the password is Hunkydory.

James

"JAMES AND LILY KISSED?" Remus exclaimed. Hazel and Molly spun around in a millisecond.

"JAMES AND LILY KISSED?" they cried in unsion. Sirius scowled.

"Smooth move, Remus." he said sarcasticly. "Well, I'm going to go talk to him."

"I'll go to. I NEED to talk to Lily about this!" Hazel said anxoiusly. The two of them walked out of the common room together, an awkward silence between them.

"So, Parsley, you're the one who's been sending me those love notes?" Sirius said slyly. Hazel turned scarlet.

"Uh, he he, yeah." she said nervously.

"Sorry to make you uncomfortable. Friends?" Sirius put out his hand to shake. Hazel grasped it and said brightly,

"Friends."

"Here it is." Hazel said, coming to a painting of a butler with a balding head.

"Password?" he said tonelessly.

"Hunkydory." Sirius said quickly. The painting swung open and the two walked in.

Hazel walked briskly into the room with a plaque that said Lily, and Sirius in the one that said James.

With Sirius..........

"Lily? What are you doing in James's room?" he asked uncertainly. This was definitely James's room: it had Quiddich posters all over and a snitch was floating lazily near the ceiling. But Lily's body was there, not his best friend's.

"Sirius, let me explain. I'm James. Lily and I kind of... switched places." James said slowly. Sirius laughed gaily.

"You switched places? Let me guess, and it's all your fault?" Sirius said slyly. James turned red.

"Yes." he said. He was kind of annoyed: having Lily mad at him was enough, now his best friend had to reminind him it was his fault Lily and him switched.

"So, where's Lily now?" Sirius asked, sitting down on James's bed. James stared blankly out his window and answered,

"In her room."

"So, it looks like you've gotten yourself into a load of trouble, hmm?" Sirius asked, studying James's face expression.

"I've waited six years for this, Sirius! And now she despises me.. again." he said tonelessly.

"Don't worry, we'll get you through this, Prongs. I will, and so will Moony and Wormtail."

Over with Hazel.....

Hazel took the whole 'James and Lily switched places' thing a little different.

"You SWTICHED PLACES? OMG!" she exclaimed. Lily looked up at her with puffy eyes.

"Please don't make a big deal out of it, Hazel." she said pleadingly.

"Ok, sorry. So, you and James kissed?" she asked excitedly. Lily nodded shyly.

"Awww! You guys are such a cute couple!" Hazel said, a glint in her eye.

"We're not a couple! Potter got all cocky and now we're back to square one." Lily said shortly and sternly.

"C'mon, Lil, give him a chance! He's been trying to get you to like him for six years! He hasn't dated a single girl because he's waiting for you!" Hazel pointed out. This made Lily think. "That is true.... but I'm not going out with him!" she said to herself. She shook her head.

"I am not going out with him. Now could we please change the subject?" Lily asked, eyebrows raised. Hazel sighed and nodded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next full moon was not for another five days. Five long days.... five long, unbearable days.... five long, unbearable, wierd-- okay, I'll stop. Lily and James were cut off from their friends during classes, James was deprived of his sleep during History of Magic, and Lily was forced to go to Quiddich practice.

Day 1-

"Here is your new schedule, Potter." Lily said briskly the next morning in the Head's Room. She handed James a chart with all of her classes for the next five days. James looked over the schedule quickly.

"Ancient runes? You take ancient runes? I can't decipher all of those symbol things!" James complained. Lily glared at him icily.

"Shut up, Potter. If you fail any one of my classes, I swear, I'll never forgive you!" Lily said angrily. She picked up James's bag and stormed out the portrait hole.

"Oo, guilt bomb..." he mumbled, following her out of the room.

James and Lily still couldn't sit with their friends. So, James walked over to Hazel and Molly grumpily.

"Hello, ahem--Lily." Molly said, glancing up at him. Molly, Remus, and Peter had all been notified about the switch and were sworn to secrecy.

"Good morning." Hazel said briskly. She was looking around the hallways, most likely trying to get an eyefull of Sirius.

"What's so good about it?" James grumbled. Molly frowned.

"What's up with you?" she asked. James scowled and shook his head.

"Well, anyways, we have divination first." Holly said brightly as they entered the Great Hall. The three of them sat with Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Peter so they could all be with their rightful friends. It looked as if James would sit next to Lily, but he was ushered by Sirius to sit next to him instead.

"So, you have to take Ancient Runes?" Remus asked, with a mouthful of porridge. James nodded grumpily.

"C'mon, Prongs, smile!" Sirius said, thumping James on the back as he took a sip of orange juice. James coughed, glared, and said,

"I don't feel like it."

Sirius rolled his eyes and started stuffing his face. Toast, bagels, porridge, waffles, you name it, he ate it. Hazel gazed at him for a few moments before Molly poked her and James in the back and told them to get moving or they'll be late for divination.

"See you guys in charms!" Hazel exclaimed. James sulked off with Hazel and Molly off to divination.

"Now," boomed the Divination teacher, Professor Armani, "This is your seventh and last year at Hogwarts. We all know what this means! N.E.W.T.'s. I am going to work you to the bone! I am going to make sure that each and every one of you has a fully developed inner eye! Now, turn to 609 and do the exercise on that page."

James reached into Lily's lavender backpack and fished out her divination book. It was over flowing with notes. He flipped to page 609 and was soon looking at a page filled with pictures of different hand designs.

"Okay, James, give me your hand." Molly said briskly. James thrust out her hand at her and she traced over the creases in his palm with her finger. She closed her eyes.

"I sense... love in your future. Love and---" James cut her off and glared at her.

"Don't tease me like that, Molly." he said coldly. Molly snapped open her eyes.

"Number one, you ruined my train of thought and number two, I was not teasing you! Now, give me back your hand or Lily is going to fail and she will never talk to you again!" Molly hissed. James scowled and gave her back his hand.

"As I was saying, I sense love and danger. Great danger that will change your life forever." Molly said wisely. James couldn't help but think, "What bull."

James was very happy when Charms came after divination. He was very eager to see his friends even though he couldn't sit with them.

Lily scribbled down on a piece of paper, "How did he do in divination?" and sent it to Molly. Molly opened it, nudged Hazel and Hazel peeked over her shoulder to read it. There was a bit of a smirk on Molly's face as she wrote, "He did pretty good. We were doing palm reading." She sent it back to Lily, who was about to reply, asking what she saw in his palm when she saw Professor Flitwick eyeing her carefully and decided to wait. That question went over and over in her head: what did his palm say? It wasn't like it was a question deciding life or death. But knowing that she couldn't know made her want to know more. She was twitching a bit when Sirius asked her if she was okay.

"I'm, uh.. I'm just peachy." Lily said in a fake cheery voice.

"Okay, everybody, this is the Jealousy charm." Professor Flitwick started. Lily and James sat bolt up in their chairs, "It is Nabakza Ressorrrral," he said this with a bit of an accent, trilling his 'r', "Now, notice I trilled the 'r'. If you don't trill it, you're saying a completly different spell."

"Been there, done that," James thought, smiling to himself a bit.

"Now, I am going to pair everyone up. Uh, let's see... Black and Parsley," Hazel turned bright red as Professor Flitwick said this. She and Sirius scooted over to each other, "Potter and Lupin." James smiled. He was about to get up and sit next to his good friend when he remembered Proffesor Salsa thought Lily was him, "Abbott and Longbottom," Ronald Abbott and Frank Longbottom grinned at each other, "Evans," James's stomach did a backflip, "and Pettigrew," James and Peter scooted next to eachother happily. This went on for a minute or so and Molly ended up with Arthur Weasly.

"Okay, Remus, I've had horrible --ahem-- expieriances with this spell, so I was hoping you'd do it first." Lily said, smiling. Remus chuckled. Professor Salsa warned them again about trilling the 'r's and let them begin.

"Ready?" Remus asked. Lily smiled, nodded, and closed her eyes. Remus got out his wand and pointed it at Lily.

"Nabakza Ressorrrral." he said clearly. There was a flash of green light (no, she's not dieing!) and Lily opened her eyes. Green flashes were going on all around her and suddenly,

"Remus, how come YOU get to skip days with a full moon?"

"Well, I--"

"And how come YOU get to be a boy?"

"You see--"

"Why do YOU go to the bathroom by---"

"HOW DO I REVERSE THIS, PROFESSOR?!" Remus exploded, not wanting to hear anymore. James looked over with interest.

Professor Flitwick came over to the two of them.

"Did it work, Mr. Lupin?" he questioned.

"Why did YOU get twenty two O.W.L.'s and I only got nineteen?" Lily said enviously.

"I see." Flitwick said shortly, "Okay, everybody! To reverse it, you must point to yourself and say Conceitnef."

Remus fumbled with his wand for a moment, eager to take this spell off Lily and muttered, pointing to himself, "Conceitnef."

Lily stopped babbling and Remus let out a sigh of relief.

Most of the other classes went by without trouble, since they seven of them had the rest of the classes together. When James and Lily got to the Head's Room, Lily could finally ask him what Molly saw in his hand.

"Well, she said she saw danger and uh," he avoided Lily's eyes as he said," and um, love."

Lily turned a light shade of pink but only for a moment.

"So, what was it like being insanely jealous of Remus?" James asked casually.

"Well, I don't very much remember. Though I do remember asking him why he should be able to go to the bathroom a--ahem-- different way." Lily said, smiling a bit. James laughed.

"Oh, speaking of the bathroom, I really need to go!" Lily continued.

"So? If you got to go, you got to go." James said simply. Lily looked at him like he had a third eye.

"I can't go in this-- body!" Lily whined. Suddenly, James got it.

"Ohhhh. Er, maybe you could-- close your eyes?" he said lamely.

"I'll just hold it in.. for another four days." Lily said thoughtfully.

"There must be a spell.." James mumbled.

"You know what? You're probally right. C'mon, let's go down to the library." Lily said, pulling on James's arm. His knees quivered for a second when his own hand touched him, but followed her out the portrait hole. Suddenly, her grip got tighter and it was aware to James why a moment later. "Snivellus" was walking down the hall, eyeing the two of them carefully. Lily sucked in her breath and muttered so only James could hear her,

"Don't do anything."

James had to clench his teeth, grip his wand until his hands sweated, and keep his legs as rigid as a piece of wood to not pounce on him at that very moment. Lily on the other hand, forced a smile.

"Good evening, Snape." she said in a calm voice. Snape looked at her oddly.

"Evening, er, Potter." he looked over at James, "Evening, mudblood."

Lily's grip instantly increased by three on James's arm. Snape smirked and walked off, muttering to himself, his greasy black hair covering his face.

"Why didn't you let me punch him?" James said haughtily. Lily rolled her eyes.

"Number one, it'll look like it's ME getting into a fight and number two, Snape isn't worth it!" Lily scolded. James looked at her with wide eyes.

"But you heard what he called you!" James cried. Lily looked at him sympathetically.

"I appreciate you wanting to stick up for me, but next time try using words, not wands or fists." she said wisely. James scowled as they entered the library. Lily still hadn't released her grip on his arm. Hazel and Sirius were down there. Hazel nudged Sirius and he looked up. She pointed to James and Lily, Lily still gripping James's arm tightly. Hazel giggled and Sirius smirked. Lily and James noticed their friends over there and Lily instantly released her grip. They walked to the shelf labeled "Housecare Spellbooks".

James looked around dumbly. He didn't go to the library as much as Lily, but Lily found a book with a spell to, er, "empty her bladder" in about seven or eight minutes. The quickly whipped out her wand and muttered a spell, pointing to herself, and gave a sigh of relief. James chuckled. In another book, titled What to Wear? told them how to change clothes without actually doing so. They checked out the books and Lily put them in her bag. They smiled at their friends and sat down at their table. Sirius smiled slyly at James, who looked clueless as ever. Lily glanced up at James to see him staring at her. James turned red and back in a flash and started a conversation with Sirius. Hazel giggled.

James and Lily soon had to leave to watch the halls. That was one of their duties as Head Boy and Girl.

They had survived a day and half as each other.

But they still have four more.



A/N Please review, it would mean so much to me! Thanks