Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dark Side of the Moon by Lioness06

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I’d like to thank my beta, without her this chapter wouldn’t be nearly as polished.
Chapter Five: First Day Woes


Sirius opened his eyes; it didn’t take long for them adjust because, with his bed curtains drawn, it was still dark. He stretched lazily and turned his side. There was a loud commotion around him “ all his roommates were already awake. Sirius didn’t mind in the least. This was more preferable than being awoken at Grimmauld Place by Regulus, Kreacher, or his mother.

“You’ve used up all the hot water again,” Terry Keeler complained.

“Use a bloody Warming Charm,” Derek Newbell called back to his best friend. “And hurry up, Jamie’s waiting to go to breakfast.”

Terry mumbled something inaudible back, but though the words were not discernable, the meaning was clear. Terry was obviously not fond of his friend’s girlfriend Jamie Gordan.

Five minutes later, Sirius wrenched open his curtains. Remus, seeing movement behind Sirius’s bed hangings, threw two red pillows, one after another, towards Sirius. The first pillow barely brushed him, but the second pillow hit him directly in the face. Lupin’s aim was always better than Sirius expected.

“What was that for?” Sirius asked.

Remus shrugged. “Oh, I’m sure you’ll do or say something to deserve that later today.”

“That’s no way for a prefect to act.”

“What would you know about that?” Remus asked, amused.

“You may have a point . . . .” Sirius agreed, standing up and searching for a towel in his trunk.

“Anyway, I’m the one who stopped James from dumping a bucket of water over your head to wake you.” James emerged from the bathroom in time to hear the last of Remus’s words.

“Is that true James?” Sirius asked with mock indignation.

“I figured I could save you time “ you wouldn’t have to bother showering,” James explained with a grin.

“Such caring, wonderful mates I have,” Sirius replied.

He trod over to the bathroom. “Morning Keeler, Newbell,” he said with a yawn. They were already in their school robes and brushing their teeth.

Sirius stepped into the narrow shower stall. Evidently, enlarging the showers stalls to a more comfortable width was too big a task for a magical school. He kept the shower short, knowing if wanted to feed his growling stomach, he’d have to make it to the Great Hall soon.

Sirius towelled and dressed, looking at himself in the mirror: damp, black hair, grey eyes sharp; aristocratic looks “ from the noble lineage of the Blacks. He’d seen pictures of his dead relatives, and his resemblance to them was irrefutable. Sirius’s alluring smile could charm most witches, and when this was combined with the intensity of his dark eyes, he had he power to disarm most females. This did not mean he was proud of the genes that had brought misery to generations of unfortunate victims. His family’s past was blackened by dirty deeds, and here stood their heir “ a Gryffindor “ a heir who cared nothing for wealth, nobility, status, or blood.

“How long are you going to stare at yourself, mate?” James, standing behind him, was reflected in the mirror.

“Just because your hair is an unruly mess doesn’t mean the rest of us have to go around looking like we just stepped off a broom,” Sirius said, running a comb one last time through his locks.

“I’ll have you know girls love my wind-swept look,” James replied, looking miffed as he too stepped out of the bathroom.

“Let’s go already,” Peter whined. He had one foot practically out the door. Terry and Derek had already vacated the room. Sirius slipped on his black school robes over his white collared shirt and trousers. Wearing pants under your robes was quickly becoming a popular trend among young wizards “ something the conservative elder crowd was strongly advocating against.

“Don’t forget your bag and books,” Remus warned. “We don’t want to have to come back here before our first class.”

A grin unconsciously formed on Sirius’s lips; James teasing him about taking so long to get ready, Peter whining about missing breakfast, and Remus reminding them to bring their school things “ some things never changed.

“What are you smiling about?” James wondered aloud.

“Just glad to be back at Hogwarts,” Sirius said, clapping his friend on the back. And he was. The joy he felt was impossible to describe in words. He was far, far away from the oppressive atmosphere of his house. As the four strolled the halls, Sirius couldn’t help noticing how the castle air felt lighter, warmth was emanating from everything, and absent was that coldness he always felt in Grimmauld Place.

Students laughed and chattered, catching up on the gossip they hadn’t gotten last night. The Great Hall was alive and cheerful because as school hadn’t officially started yet, there was no concern about homework, essays, or tests. Even the Daily Prophet (James’s parents had ordered him a subscription, so James would be well-informed on Wizarding events) was devoid of the news of disappearances and murders that had been so common all summer. Professor McGonagall was just passing out the schedules as the boys seated themselves.

“Defence Against the Dark Arts first,” Remus remarked.

“With Slytherin,” groaned Peter.

“Better than last year when we had History of Magic,” James said. History of Magic was a painfully boring class to begin with, and last year it had been unbearable having it first each week. Even the Ravenclaws, who were studious by nature and took class more seriously than Sirius thought anyone should, had difficulty keeping awake.

At the mention of the Defence Against the Dark Arts, Sirius found himself staring up toward the staff table, and he was annoyingly reminded of his impending punishment with the new teacher. Professor Keenan looked rested and was cheerfully speaking with his colleagues. Sirius had always been distrustful of authority figures “ teachers included “ and his run-in with the new Professor had done nothing to allay any preconceived notions.

Sirius also spared a glance for the Slytherin table to check on his brother. His feelings toward Regulus were mixed. He felt oddly protective of Regulus from a distance, yet the moment they were in each others’ presence, he had difficulty uttering a single polite syllable. At least Regulus was surrounded by other third years this morning; not the most desirable company, but loads better than Snivellus.

Conversation flowed and ebbed, and the Great Hall began emptying. The four boys stood up and followed the Gryffindor girls from their year, staying a few feet behind. The girls threw them glances full of longing, but they stayed huddled in a mass. Sirius was easily annoyed by the girls who spent their time giggling in large groups, preferring the type who’d venture away from the safety of her friends to speak to him. Unfortunately, that type of confidence too often, in his experience, came with arrogance “ and that presented problems as well. Girls were bloody complicated.

The boys entered the room, and unconsciously, Sirius’s feet carried him to the back of the classroom.

“Mr. Black, please take a seat in the front row.”

Sirius froze; he’d been unaware that Professor Keenan was even in the room. The professor was walking down the staircase from his office. The students in the room quieted and heads turned, darting between the two of them; some looked eager, hoping for a ‘scene’ to start off the year. Sirius almost disobeyed “ not because the teacher was unfairly picking him out, but just to see how far he could push the professor, just to see what Keenan would do. Sirius had always flirted dangerously with the rules; his peers expected it. Sirius fastened his eyes on the teacher, and started to trace his path back towards the front.

Had it been in any other class with any other teacher, Sirius wouldn’t have given the request a second thought. James and he had been scolded for causing disturbances every year in every class.

“At that middle desk, Mr. Black.” Keenan’s voice was oddly shaky, and he looked relieved as Sirius plopped down in the seat, letting his bag crash onto the wooden floor. Keenan took refuge behind his teacher’s desk. James didn’t hide his puzzlement or annoyance as he sat down beside Sirius letting his own school bag down considerably more gently. Remus and Peter slipped into the two seats behind them.

The bell for class hadn’t rung yet, so James whispered, “How does the teacher already know your name?”

“Well, you know how I went to meet Leila Yaxley?”

“Yes “ wait did he catch you in the broom closet together?”

“No “ not that. He caught me hexing Snape.”

“What was that slimy git doing there?”

Snape had always been a bit too interested in their group’s private plans, sneaking around after them and looking for ways to get them in trouble, even expelled.

“Don’t know. And now I’ve got detention.”

“Professor Keenan gave you detention?”

“I assume so. I have to see him after class.”

“I suppose he’ll be strict then? Not a pushover like Professor Neaton?”

Professor Neaton had been too ‘nice’ to be a teacher, especially with a subject like Defence Against the Dark Arts, which required cleverness and quick-thinking. Neaton had been gullible and slow, and the class had taken full advantage of it.

James continued, “Let’s hope he’s better than Adair,”

Sirius grimaced in remembrance. Professor Adair had taught them in second year. She was a vile woman who’d embraced corporal punishment in her class. Out of their group, only Peter hadn’t been struck by her rod. Her career had quickly ceased when it was discovered she’d been testing products, such as potions and lotions from her father’s shop, on students.

“Settle down class. Settle down,” Professor Keenan said, straightening up, perhaps to make himself look more imposing.

James regarded the new teacher coolly on behalf of his best mate. The class did quiet down, as they were still unsure of Keenan and of what he would allow in his class. Only time would determine his level of control over them.

“My name is Professor Keenan.” He waved his wand at the blackboard and his name was scrawled out in large script. “You may address me as ‘Professor’ or ‘sir’. The rules in this class are simple and you will adhere to them. You will raise your hand when you wish to speak. You will not speak until I call on you. Dialogue in this classroom will be open between us, and you will treat each other with respect.”

Professor Keenan paused to survey the effect his speech had on his students. Not one of the boys in the class was smiling and a few were even frowning slightly. The girls entranced by the young teacher’s good looks were the only ones who regarded his words with any acceptance.

“All homework will be handed in on time, and will be placed on my desk in a neat pile before the bell rings. At the first offence, your Head of House will be notified, and with each following offence, a letter will be sent to your parent or guardian. You will also serve detention that same day where you will complete the assignment you failed to do. Next class, a complete list of rules and resulting infractions will be available. I understand all these rules may seem . . . overwhelming.” Again he stopped, smiling at the class, hoping to sway them on his side by being cheerful.

“As a ‘new teacher’ “ since I was a student once myself “ I know some of you may wish to test me. Let me warn you that it will be not only a waste of your time, but you will only be making life very difficult for yourself. Follow my rules and class will be an enjoyable learning experience; don’t, and I’ll be seeing you in detention daily.”

“Oh no, detention,” James muttered under his breath sarcastically. Sirius suppressed a laugh. In a flash, with the agility and grace of an athlete, Keenan struck his wand on James’s desk.

“Your name?”

“James Potter.” James’s voice was neutral “ not exactly polite and not exactly arrogant. Sirius could feel Peter squirming in the seat behind him, and he knew Remus was probably praying silently that James wouldn’t say anything to make the situation worse.

“Sir.”

“James Potter, sir.” Now there was a definite hint of sarcasm to James’s voice.

“Mr. Potter, I do not like having to explain things twice. Were you not listening moments ago when I told you of my lack of tolerance for those who speak out of turn and those who test me?”

“Sir, I was listening. However, I don’t agree.”

There was a collective intake of breath. Several of the girls who’d been hanging on Keenan’s words snapped out of their love-struck hazes.

“What is it you don’t agree with?” Keenan sounded agitated

“I’d like to point out, sir, that there may be instances when speaking without permission is necessary.”

“Are there? Please elaborate.”

“For example, the schoolbag of the person sitting next to you is on fire.”

James pointed his thumb lazily at Sirius. Sirius’s confusion quickly turned to shock as his eyes took in his bag being engulfed in bright, hot flames. His pushed his chair back in alarm. Several students nearby gasped, the ones in the back craned their necks.

Finite Incantatum!” James brandished his wand, which he’d already had out, and the flames vanished. A tense silence followed. The Quaffle was in Keenan’s pitch. The teacher’s reputation could be very well decided at this very moment. Unluckily for the Professor, he had no idea of James’s popularity among the students.

“Five points from Gryffindor, Mr. Potter.”

Even Sirius felt disappointed, cheated by this response. Just points off? No lecture? No throwing James out of the classroom for impudence?

However Keenan spoke on, “I would have taken ten off if it hadn’t been for that impressive non-verbal charm. Very subtle, I almost didn’t catch it, Mr. Potter. Very advanced magic for a fifth year.”

James who usually took praise very well, looked wrong-footed by the compliment on his magical skills.

Sirius gingerly picked up his bag to inspect it. It was new and expensive “ if his parents were to find out it had already been damaged, it would be just another thing for them to yell at him about. There was not a mark on it “ the spell must have been an illusion; his bag had never really been on fire.

Keenan spent the next five minutes giving the required importance-of-O.W.L.-year lecture. The teacher told them they would cover and review everything they needed to receive an O.W.L. in the subject. Then he set them to task writing down their strengths and weakness in the subject; areas they felt they needed to review; and any subject they wanted to learn more about.

“Also I’d like each of you to write a few sentences about yourself, so I can learn about each of you. Wands away, quills out, and no talking. Please take this assignment seriously.”

There was sighing and groaning as the students bustled about, but soon all Sirius heard was the scratching of quills. Sirius stared at his blank parchment. He couldn’t understand how he was already bored, but he was. He chanced a glance behind him at Remus. He looked up at Sirius and mouthed, “What?”

“Mr. Black, face forward.”

Sirius sighed before complying with the request. It wasn’t as if Remus could have helped.
He shared a quick look with James, but with Keenan watching him sternly from his perch in the front of the room, there wasn’t much James could to help alleviate his boredom either.

The minutes ticked by slowly, agonizingly slowly. He felt as if he were back in those summer lessons at home, locked in until he completed the required work. Was he the only one finding the assignment pointless? Next to him, James had placed his quill down; he’d only written three or four lines.

“Please finish up in the next five minutes.”

Sirius felt a moment of panic. Only his name on the top had tarnished the emptiness of his parchment, and he knew it wasn’t worth the trouble he’d been in if he handed it in blank.

More hexes
Shields/Protection

Personal information: Black heir


The papers were collected, as Sirius had been forced to sit in the front, he had a good look at the assignments of everyone who was seated behind him. His attempt at the assignment was certainly meagre and would definitely stand out. Then they were assigned to read and outline the first chapter of How to Defend Yourself: A Guide for Every Witch and Wizard by Ellie Patton. And just like that, Keenan let them out ten minutes before the bell. Remus, Peter, and James stood up all around Sirius “ their classmates were chattering excitedly about the rare treat.

“I’ve got to stay behind,” he reminded his friends sullenly.

“We’ll wait,” James responded.

“Bye, Professor Keenan,” Mary McDonald and Natalie Warren chorused dreamily as they walked by his desk, predictably giggling.

“In trouble already? Tsk, tsk, Black,” Snape said as he walked by alone. The other Slytherins Snape generally associated with were a few paces ahead. Sirius clenched his fists; Snape knew very well what had happened. If Keenan heard Snivellus’s comment (and he must have, if he had heard James’s earlier comment) he didn’t make it known. Leila Yaxley was the last person out the door, and her pretty eyes lingered on Sirius for a second or two.

“Now about your punishment . . . .”





The fifth-year Gryffindors and Slytherins were buzzing in the hallway outside the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, and the new teacher was on all their minds. Not one of them could recall ever in their Hogwarts career receiving the unusual treat of any early class dismissal.

James hadn’t been able to get a strong handle on Professor Keenan. It was obvious the man wasn’t going to allow any nonsense in his classroom. This fact, though, did not fit with his reaction to James’s (admittedly) cheeky rebuttal about speaking without permission. James was, in a way, thankful to have a sharp and competent teacher this year, but Keenan’s treatment of Sirius nagged on his mind. He guessed that the teacher simply had labelled his friend a troublemaker after the incident last night, so he was doing everything in his power to curb any trouble Sirius might make for him in class.

Keenan wasn’t exactly wrong; ask any teacher at Hogwarts, and both James and Sirius would be on the top of their list of biggest troublemakers in school. But that didn’t make Keenan’s treatment right. Unfortunately, knowing Sirius, if he suspected Keenan already disliked him, Sirius would only strive to fulfil the role.

“I didn’t know what to write,” Peter said as he leaned against the wall. “Especially about myself “ what did you write James?”

“Something about Quidditch,” James answered offhandedly, then smirked at Remus. “Happen to mention your furry little problem?”

“I didn’t have to; the teachers already “” Remus didn’t finish as Mary McDonald rather rudely butted into their conversation.

“Still having trouble with your rabbit?”

Mary was of average height, plump, and had dirty-blonde hair that had lightened considerably over the summer. She could also be very noisy and pushy.

“Er . . .” Remus looked helplessly at James and Peter, who were both unsuccessfully trying to keep from laughing.

‘Furry little problem’ had become the codeword for Remus’s lycanthropy, and they’d used it without care in public. But with their popularity it was a given that there were people listening to them, so students overhearing them assumed their references were toward a badly behaved pet, which had progressed to a misbehaved rabbit of all animals. None of them could understand it, but they let the rumour stand.

Remus’s face was quite red as he babbled, “Well she’s getting older, so she is not as lively as she was before . . . .”

“Oh, right.” Mary nodded as if that explanation made actual sense.

“How destructive can a rabbit be anyway?” Natalie Warren, Mary’s best friend, asked. She was a plain-looking girl with pin-straight black hair.

“You’d be surprised.”

James noted that Lily Evans, Anita Knight, and Catherine Pierce were all half-listening. Terry Keeler stood a bit apart from the girls, hands in his pockets, looking forlorn. It appeared Derek Newbell had disappeared with his girlfriend Jamie Gordan. The Slytherins had all dispersed awhile ago.

“Remus has a magical rabbit,” James explained, feeling compelled to back up his friend, who was looking more and more uncomfortable. “Acts more like a dog than a rabbit.”

“I’ve never heard of a magical rabbit,” Lily Evans interrupted, hand on her hip.

James’s stomach did a flip-flop as Lily met his eyes in a challenging manner. Of course she hadn’t; after all, he’d made that up. James, though, wasn’t so much concerned with being caught in a lie as with why Evans had such a physical effect on him lately.

Evan’s hair was back in braids. James had definitely liked her hair how it was on the train: down and flowing. He curbed his desire to undo the braids and run his hands through her hair. It would feel like silk; he was sure of it.

“They are very rare and very expensive,” James clarified.

“So why don’t you sell her? Make lots of money and be rid of the furry problem at the same time?” Mary asked, and Lily nodded in agreement.

“Well “ because it was a gift, wasn’t it, Remus? From your great-aunt “”

“Right, my great-aunt Rebecca.”

“On her death bed when you inherited that rabbit.”

“Yes, yes she was,” Remus agreed a bit too eagerly.

Lily regarded their words coolly; apparently she saw right through their lies. The other girls were all satisfied; none of them were as naturally suspicious of the boys as Lily Evans was.

The door to the classroom burst open and Sirius emerged. Anita, Mary, and Catherine, all turned their attention towards Sirius; their movement was so sudden and simultaneous that it was comical. Lily, however, James noted with another jolt, did not. Sirius spared the girls a smile. At times James suspected Sirius was unaware of his effect on females, yet at other times he used his charm in such a cunning way that it couldn’t have been accidental.

“Well?” James pressed.

Sirius shrugged dramatically. “Detention tonight. Seven o’clock.”

“Hello Sirius,” Mary cooed, drawing out his name in a sing-song voice. Mary was not content with just a smile from Sirius Black.

“I can’t believe Keenan put you in detention; that is so unfair!” Catherine said, flipping her wavy blonde hair back and fluttering her light-blue eyes in Sirius’s direction.

“Well I did hex Snivellus,” Sirius admitted.

“You really need to stop hexing Severus,” Lily admonished. She was the only Gryffindor to ever refer to Snape by his first name.

“Thank you, Evans. I’ll remember that great bit of advice next time I run into that slimy git.”

“I’m sure Snape deserved it,” Anita declared.

“That’s right, Knight,” Sirius agreed. Anita Knight’s chocolate brown eyes lit up at the compliment.

Catherine glanced at her gold-plated watch. “Let’s go outside, we have twenty minutes until Transfiguration.” She tugged bravely at Sirius’s sleeve. “And you lads are coming along.”

“We aren’t allowed outside, right Lupin?” Lily said with the authority of a prefect.

“It’s so nice outside Lily! What rule would we be breaking?” Anita exclaimed.

“Well there isn’t any real rule against it . . . but if a teacher were to see us . . .” Remus replied. He looked down guiltily at his shoes when Lily glared at him for not backing her up.

“Simple then: we won’t let a teacher see us,” James piped in.

“Come on, let’s go then,” Sirius said. He didn’t like just standing around.

Terry Keeler, who hadn’t said a word so far, was now looking very uncomfortable, but Lily took pity on him. “Terry, you can come with us,” she said kindly.

James couldn’t help but notice that she called Keeler by his first name.

Outside the weather was the complete opposite of yesterday’s weather. The sun shown brightly, the sky was a brilliant blue, the grass beneath their feet was a vivid green, and the air smelled fresh and clean.

“Tag! Catch me if you can.” Catherine tapped Sirius on the shoulder, running ahead towards the lake. Sirius raced after her. It was no contest; Sirius easily caught her, grabbing her from behind, and they tumbled to the ground laughing.

Mary McDonald scowled. “Could she be any more obvious? Honestly!”

If James thought it would do any good, he might have mentioned to Mary that Sirius would have probably chased any female who had tapped him as Catherine had, and that it didn’t mean that Sirius held any attraction towards her friend.

“So, anyone keep up with Quidditch over the summer?” James asked, hoping to get the conversation flowing, particularly with a certain red-headed girl.

“Not really,” Mary said. “I only watch Quidditch at Hogwarts.”

“I keep up,” Terry murmured.

“I visited the entire Tornado team,” James boasted, running a hand through his hair. He gave Lily a sidelong glance, hoping for some sort of positive reaction. She was gazing ahead; the topic hadn’t caught her interest.

“Wow! Really!” Terry exclaimed.

“Yeah, I got all their autographs and spoke with them all. I’m thinking about a career as a professional Quidditch player.”

Lily was still not following the conversation.

“You’d be excellent,” Anita said admirably. “My brother, don’t tell him I told you this, is so jealous of your flying ability.”

Anita’s brother was a Chaser on the Ravenclaw team, and he was two years older than them. James grinned, for at least he’d impressed someone.

They reached the area where Sirius and Catherine were sprawled on the ground, no longer attached. Catherine had picked a white flower and was placing it in her hair. They all plopped down and fell into casual conversation.




Remus was the last of the group to go through the Transfiguration classroom door as the bell struck. They hadn’t gotten caught: they’d had a relaxing time and even made it to class on time. To Sirius, this proved that worrywarts like Lily Evans were wrong and that that rules should only be followed when the rule maker was around.

“Come in.” McGonagall waved them in. “Be seated quickly.”

The girls settled near Jamie Gordan, and despite the fact she was holding her boyfriend’s hand across the aisle, she looked envious of their pre-arrival activities.

Gryffindors were paired with Ravenclaws for Transfiguration, and as they were the last members of the class to arrive, seating choices were very limited and in close proximity to the teacher. So Sirius sat on one side of James, and Remus on the other, while Peter sat behind them beside Terry Keeler.

McGonagall started class by calling roll, which Sirius found pointless. After four years she should be able to tell just by looking around if one of them were missing. She only stopped once on Evans, Lily to tell James and Sirius that they’d be separated like last year if they couldn’t keep still and quiet.

McGonagall droned on and on about O.W.L. year: the importance of it, how this year would decide their future, and how the world was at their fingertips “ they just needed to reach out and grasp it by studying hard.

Future “ Sirius laughed. As the Black family heir, his future had been planned out since birth. He was expected to get the highest O.W.L.s in every subject, but it didn’t mean anything except something his parents could boast about to other pure-bloods. Regardless of his grades, Sirius’s father would secure him a job in the Ministry, as well as arranging a pure-blood marriage for him; just as it had happened for generations before him.

Yes, Sirius had rebelled against his family so far “ fighting for the slightest freedom “ but how long could this go on? After all, he was still underage, still under their wings. He was convinced his young age was the only reason he had gotten away with this all so far. He wasn’t the first, nor would he be the last pure-blood to temporarily fall off the path set forth before him.

One question lurked in Sirius’s mind: Would he have the courage to continue his rebellion once he turned seventeen? Or would he finally bow to his family’s will? There would be no compromise. He already knew that. He would either fulfil his role, become the model son, or he’d be disowned, his inheritance forfeited to Regulus.

“Bloody hell, is she ever going to shut up?” Sirius muttered to himself. McGonagall was still droning on.

Lectures were awful enough, and add talk of the future, which made him think thoughts he’d rather repress, and they became torturous. He turned to the quill and sheet of parchment that he’d taken out before and began doodling. When McGonagall was glancing the other way, he poked James beside him and passed him the picture. James, distracted by something himself, almost didn’t hide the picture beneath his desk in time as McGonagall turned back to the class. She narrowed her eyes towards them, perhaps sensing something was amiss.

Once McGonagall was back on track with her lecture, James took his wand out and flicked it over the picture before handing the parchment back to Sirius. James had animated the sketch Sirius had drawn of Snape being chased by a bottle of shampoo. Sirius couldn’t hold back his laughter.

“Mr. Black, am I boring you?” McGonagall asked sternly. “Would you like to teach the class about O.W.L.s, as you obviously know so much about them already that you do not feel the need to listen?”

“Sorry, Professor.”

She really ought to be grateful he had let out his tension through laughter and not through more aggressive means.

“You are no longer a first year. Learn to control yourself! The least I can hope for is that you have the courtesy not to distract classmates that actually care about their future. See me after class.”

Sirius slumped in his seat. Perfect, now he would just have to sit through an additional lecture after class.

“What’s got her skirt in a twist?” James said. Perhaps he wanted to be heard, because he hadn’t whispered it.

“Mr. Potter!”

“I’ll be seeing you after class too, Professor?” James asked.

“Right you will. Mr. Potter, switch seats with Perry Sears, and Mr. Black, you will switch with Maya Hill.”

None of them moved.

“Now!”

James and Sirius made a production of switching seats. Sirius noticed Remus frowning at this; Remus had always disapproved of any disrespect towards teachers.

In his new seat, Sirius was next to a window, and beside him sat Bertram Aubrey, a prefect from Ravenclaw.

“Don’t even think of saying a word to me,” Bertram Aubrey stated haughtily.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Sirius muttered. Sirius caught James’s eye across the room, and James threw him a rueful smile. James was a bit luckier with his spot. He was beside a pretty Ravenclaw girl who was already batting her eyelashes at James.

Sirius did feel a bit guilty because out of all Hogwarts teachers, he respected his Head of House the most. She was a very fair teacher, and he knew that regardless of how pointless he felt the lecture was, she did have the best intentions in mind for her students.

So after class James and Sirius endured seven highly unpleasant minutes, in which she reiterated the importance of O.W.L.s and how she’d hate to see two talented individuals ruin their futures. She also brought up their lack of maturity. No points were docked nor a detention assigned. McGonagall must have been feeling exceptionally generous because she said she’d give them one more chance to be allowed to sit next to each other before making the seating change permanent.




The Great Hall was close to empty now. Dessert had been served and most students were ready to turn in after a long first day of classes.

Peter yawned as he picked up his mug of hot chocolate. James had a broomstick catalogue out and was rattling on about the different merits of the newest models. James’s broom was only a year old, and though Mr. and Mrs. Potter indulged most of James’s wishes, they wouldn’t buy him another broom this year; so exactly why his friend still found the catalogue so interesting, Sirius wasn’t sure.

“It’s ten to seven,” Remus said, looking pointedly at Sirius.

“I’ll leave in a moment. Ten minutes is plenty of time . . . .” He didn’t add that it was only enough time to reach Professor Keenan’s office as long as he walked quickly, none of the staircases decided to move on him, and he didn’t run into Peeves.

Sirius counted to thirty in his head and then stood up. “See you later lads.”

Luck was apparently on his side because Sirius arrived ten seconds before the clock struck seven.

He was saved having to walk up the steps to the professor’s office because Keenan was at his desk. He had taken off his robes, revealing Muggle pants and a collared shirt “ the teacher had even loosened his tie considerably, something teenage wizards tried daily to get away with during the school week, only to be reprimanded by one of the Hogwarts staff. Professor Keenan looked remarkably comfortable in the Muggle attire, and Sirius wondered if he was Muggle-born.

“Good evening, Mr. Black,” Professor Keenan greeted him lightly. “Please take a seat.”

The desk he’d been assigned early that day had a pile of blank parchment, a quill, and a bottle of ink set on it. Sirius sat down in that seat. The sooner he could start at the task, the sooner he could return to the dorm.

“In the teachers’ lounge this afternoon I was offered a lot of advice on how to best deal with your detention. I didn’t take it though. Your history with the other teachers is of little concern to me. I do have a question about what you wrote in class today “ Black heir. I had hoped to glean a bit of information about each of my students. Most of your classmates wrote about hobbies and other interests.”

“Have you not heard of my family, sir?”

“I have heard of the Blacks, but I’m sure there is more to you than what you wrote.”

“You wouldn’t think that if you really knew them, sir,” Sirius answered, his tone clipped and unyielding.

“Okay then.” Keenan looked lost by Sirius’s answer. He’d been expecting more, and to cover his discomfort, he ruffled the papers on his desk. “As for your punishment, you will handwrite out the list of class rules that I will distribute to my classes. Perhaps this will help you remember to follow them. You can start with the fifth years “ that will be forty copies “ and we will see what time it is when you are finished with that.”

Professor Keenan rose and handed Sirius the official copy of the rules.

Sirius sighed and began writing.

Hours later, his fingers ink-stained and cramped, eighty copies of the rules were neatly piled on Keenan’s desk, and Sirius was finally dismissed. He wandered the halls back to the Gryffindor dormitory mindlessly. So far in his Hogwarts’ career, the first day of the new school year had never gone smoothly and he was relieved this year’s was behind him.


Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading. I’m sure you’re tired of reading all those pleas for reviews from authors, but it really does make my day when I receive one.