Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dark Side of the Moon by Lioness06

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was the last class of the day, and Sirius was far away from any academic thought. Less than twenty-four hours ago, he and his friends had successfully completed the Animagus transformation. Sirius was proud of his dog form and secretly relieved he hadn’t turned into a dungbeetle or flobberworm. James’s form had been magnificent; a stag, large and proud. Peter was rat, which was not as nearly exciting as a dog or stag, but never the less, transforming into any animal was amazing, and a feat none of the other students at Hogwarts would ever accomplish.

Sirius was itching to transform again, just to be sure that he could. The excitement and glow from being able to turn into an animal at will was still with him. All day the boys had to merely glance at one another and they’d immediately erupt into wide grins and laughter; all thinking the same thoughts, reveling in their shared secret; their incredible achievement. How in Merlin was he supposed to concentrate in class today?

“Mr. Black, I expect better than this on your next assignment,” Professor Flitwick lectured.

Sirius nodded begrudgingly to the Professor. He didn’t appreciate being reminded that the school day wasn’t over and that he had failed a recent assignment. Professor Flitwick was passing back a homework essay from earlier in the week. Sirius had written the Charms essay last minute, and his grade (D for dreadful) clearly reflected that.

“I got an Acceptable,” Peter boasted beside him. Sirius had quickly shoved his own essay into his school bag, while Peter proudly left his on display.

“Read chapter three in Basic Spells: Year Five for Tuesday. There might be a surprise quiz on the material, so take detailed notes,” Professor Flitwick instructed the class.

The bell struck to dismiss class right on cue, and Sirius shot up from his seat. Professor Flitwick frowned in his direction; he wasn’t the only teacher to have noticed that Sirius had been more anxious and impatient than usual in all his classes. In his fifteen years of life, Sirius had learned that time always dragged on when you wanted it to tick by quickly, and today was no exception to the rule.

Sirius waited for his friends outside; they hadn’t gathered their belongings quickly enough for him.

“In a hurry, Sirius?” James asked.

Sirius nodded. “No more classes until Monday,” he answered. “I think I’d drown myself if I had to sit through another lecture.”

“It will feel like we still are in class,” Peter complained. “The Professors have really piled on the work.”

“If you don’t wait until Sunday night,” Remus looked pointedly at James and Sirius, “it won’t seem so bad.”

Rolling their eyes, James and Sirius led the group straight for Gryffindor Tower. Gryffindor team tryouts were scheduled to begin at three-thirty that afternoon, for one new Beater. The rest of the team would stay as it was. Aidan Gallagher, the team captain, had also opened the tryouts for Chasers and Seekers to try-out as alternates.

Yesterday, Sirius had agreed to help James warm-up for an hour before tryouts. Sirius enjoyed flying, and though there was no real reason for James to warm-up, his position on the team was secure, James was a fanatic. He’d make a perfect team caption next year or the year after; Quidditch fanaticism was a trait, from what Sirius had experienced, that was required for the position.

Sirius retrieved his Cleansweep from his trunk. He’d received the broom for his thirteenth birthday from his Uncle Alphard. His parents had only let him keep it because it was expected that all pure-bloods have their own broom, even if they weren’t on the team, and appearances were everything in the elite world his parents belonged to.

James changed into his Quidditch clothes and Sirius picked out an expensive light green robe that his parents had purchased for him. They’d meant for him to wear it to a fancy event, such as a Slug Club party; instead he’d be playing Quidditch in it, hopefully soaking it with sweat and dirt. Peter watched them forlornly. He didn’t have a broom, and Sirius was thankful James didn’t invite him to tag along. This way he’d have some one-on-one time with his best mate.

Broom slung over their shoulders in a carefree manner, James and Sirius bounded down to the common room. A second year boy with short-cropped blonde hair approached them. “Potter, I’m trying out for Beater,” the boy informed James.

“I am too!” his friend with curly brown hair added.

“Good luck! I’ll see you out there later,” James said running a hand through his hair. The boys’ eyes widened with the compliment, adoration evident in their shiny faces. “Did you see how little they were? I doubt they would be able to hold the Beater bat, let along swing it,” James muttered more to himself than Sirius, as they left the common room

Outside the wind had let up, the air felt warmer than usual for a fall afternoon. James unlocked the team lockers, and they lugged out one large Quidditch chest to the pitch. James had gotten the key earlier from Aidan Gallagher. Sirius grabbed a Quaffle before they mounted the brooms and soared into the air. James increased his speed quickly, shooting around the Quaffle hoops, in an impressive display of flying.

An hour later the rest of the Quidditch team showed up, with Aidan leading the way. James and Sirius landed at the same time on the ground.

“I was watching you Black. Not a bad throwing arm and your flying’s excellent. Are you trying out today?” Aidan asked.

“Nah,” Sirius replied.

“Why not?” Aidan looked slightly offended.

“You know me. I don’t take well to authority. You’ll either end up benching me or chucking me off the team in a week or two.”

“Your brother is trying out for Seeker on the Slytherin team.”

If Aidan hoped to tap into Sirius’s inner brotherly competitive spirit, he would not be lucky today.

“Good for him. Have a good tryout,” Sirius answered back. He was surprised to hear Regulus was trying-out since their mother considered Quidditch frivolous. Though as the second son, his brother was allowed more leniencies.

Cleansweep once again slung over his shoulder, he sauntered over to the slowly filling stands. With Gryffindor the favorite to win the Quidditch Cup again this year, watching the tryouts was popular.

Sirius ignored Peter, who was waving at him to get his attention, for another person had caught Sirius’s eye.

“What’s a snake doing among so many lions?”

Leila Yaxley stood at the end of the bleachers. “See what you’ve reduced me to for an audience,” she remarked.

Leila’s school robes were open displaying her blouse and skirt underneath. The robes may have hidden her curves, but the clothes underneath certainly did not. Sirius swallowed hard, the attraction he suddenly felt caught him off guard.

Sirius grabbed hold of Leila’s wrist and forcefully pulled her around the back of the stands for privacy. He let her go and she rubbed her wrist indignantly.

“You’ve got five minutes,” he grumbled leaning his broom on the back wall of the stands. They were standing close, and Sirius could smell her vanilla scented perfume. It was different from the floral sprays most teenage witches were wearing.

“Our parents are in negotiations again for our engagement,” she began.

“You’re telling me this why? To warn me?”

“Warn you?” She raised her perfect eyebrows and pursed her red lips. “You misunderstand me, Sirius. I want to marry you.”

His face darkened. “I don’t. I can’t understand why you’re agreeing to this.”

“Why wouldn’t I? If it isn’t you, it will be someone else. You’re handsome, popular, and rich, and your family pedigree is immaculate. I knew we were destined to be wed before Hogwarts.”

“What!”

“I suppose you wouldn’t remember, but I first saw you when we were ten. It was at the Malfoys’ New Years Eve party. Ice sculptures were everywhere and I felt like a princess in my extravagant robes. My female cousins and I heard that the Black brothers were to in attendance. We were anxious to finally meet you, since your mother and father didn’t let you associate much with children who weren’t direct blood relations. Of course, we’d heard so much about you “ how handsome and bright you both were, the elder one especially. I was standing five feet away from you when you entered. You and Regulus were dressed in green and white “ haughty and proud, just like you should be “ just like someone of the ‘Noble and Most Ancient House of Black’. I fell hard for you that night.”

“Very nice anecdote, Leila. You had a crush on me. Big deal. I’ll not marry you for some silly story.”

“We can do this the easy or hard way, Sirius,” she said meeting his darkened gaze, head on, despite a blush creeping on her face. “The easy way,” she continued, “is for us to spend time together, and to get to know each another.”

“Be good little obedient children. Always do what mummy and daddy say.”

“I never had anything against Gryffindor as a House, but if this is how they teach you to act--”

“You mean actually have your own thoughts and ideas and not blindly follow our parents’ desires and pureblood rhetoric.”

“No, to be rude, disobedient, and disagreeable. Our parents are only looking out for our best interest.”

“No, the family’s best interest!”

“Which is one and the same, Sirius!”

“What about my happiness? What about yours? This is our life, our choice.”

“The hard way then,” she shot back.

“I’m choosing the right way; the only way I can live with myself. I’ll fight this to the end and it would make it easier if you were on my side.”

“You’re making a mistake.”

“And your five minutes are up, Yaxley.”

Sirius snatched his broom up and turned his back on Leila, returning to the Gryffindors; tryouts, which had begun. Neither Leila nor Sirius noticed Mary McDonald hiding in the shadows.


“So what are we going to do today?” Peter asked, yawing widely.

It was Saturday morning, the day after the Gryffindor tryouts. Tristan Belden, a third year, had won the coveted Beater position on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. After winning the Quidditch Cup the last three years, there had been a huge turnout for tryouts. Though Tristan Belden showed the most potential, he needed a lot of work. James accepted that the third year was the best choice out of motley lot that had shown up. Sirius had noticed a lot of the girls were there to just flirt and when the time came to fly, clung onto their brooms as if they’d never flown before.

The boys had just returned from breakfast back to their dorm. James had sat once again with Victoria Dekker and her friends. The girls had barely looked in his direction all morning, which was a marked contrast from the other morning.

On the way back to the dorm, James admitted to Sirius that he had never told the girls any of those things, and that he had just asked them to look and laugh in Sirius’s direction to make it appear as if they knew his darkest secrets. James, who was an open person by nature, could never keep things from Sirius for very long.

“I don’t have Quidditch,” James told them flopping down on his bed. “Slytherin is holding tryouts today, so the pitch is taken.”

“Is Aidan Gallagher going to spy on them?” Sirius asked curiously.

“I think he tried to recruit two third years, non Quidditch players, to have a look. Any of us would be too obvious.”

“You could use the cloak,” Peter suggested.

“The team is strong this year, and tryouts won’t tell us much information. We just have to wait and see who joins the other House teams.” James turned to Sirius. “Do you think your brother will make the team?”

“I’ve never seen him fly,” Sirius responded shortly.

“You haven’t?” Remus asked in surprise.

“I was rarely awarded outdoor recreation, not like Regulus. He often had two afternoons off a week to romp outside, while I was locked inside training to be the perfect Black heir.”

James, Remus, and Peter regarded Sirius pensively. Sirius was rarely forthcoming about his home life, and when it came out of the blue, it was always difficult to find a proper way to respond.

“What homework does everyone have left?” Remus asked.

“Everything,” Sirius stated casually.

“Me too,” James added proudly.

“Peter and I only have the ‘Defense’ essay left,” Remus informed them.

“When did you two get that done?” James said in surprise. It was after all only Saturday morning.

“Last night while you two were goofing off in the common room.”

“It was Friday night,” Sirius defended. “Plus we have all of Sunday to work on it.”

“What about today? You aren’t even going to start it?” Remus said.

“I think today would be an excellent day to finish up Operation Furry Little Problem,” Sirius explained.

“I hear the Forbidden Forest calling our name,” James said excitedly placing his hands behind his head.

Remus frowned.

“Come on, Remus, Peter and I still need to show you our forms,” James said.

“I heard it was supposed to rain today,” Remus said.

Sirius unlatched one of the windows in the dorm, and stuck his head out to look at the clear blue sky. “Yeah, it looks like it’s about to pour any minute,” Sirius responded sarcastically.

“Ok. We’ll go. Though we can’t get caught entering or leaving the Forest,” Remus implored them, and he unconsciously touched his prefect badge.


Severus Snape was in his own world.

Snape barely registered Mary McDonald rushing past, bumping into him as she clutched a letter to her chest. It was a letter from her sister who had graduated from Hogwarts two years prior. Mary’s sister worked for a monthly teen and young adult magazine called Twitches.

Lily and Snape had studied in the library all morning, Lily more than Snape. He’d been too conscious of her warm body beside him and of the countless times their elbows or hands brushed; sending pleasurable shocks through his body. When she spoke he was free to stare into those marvelous pools of emerald green.

Snape wasn’t the only male to be entranced by Lily’s presence; there were plenty of hormonally driven teenage boys hovering nearby. A girl like Lily was always noticed; she had that unexplainable, indescribable something about her. Despite other admirers, Severus had little to worry about. Lily had plainly ignored the hopeful smile by the Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain and the wave from the sixth year Hufflepuff. Lily always gave him her full attention and he still held the title of her best friend, regardless of the fact they weren’t as close anymore. He loved her differently than all the boys who she’d caught the eye of. He loved her for who she was. Of course, he did wish, when he allowed his mind to drift that way, to be more intimate with Lily. He couldn’t think of anything more wonderful than having her soft red lips graze his own.

“Severus!” The sharp voice snapped him unpleasantly out of his daydream.

“You are impossible to find,” Leila Yaxley complained, catching up with him. She’d unbalanced him by using his first name. He was usually referred to by his surname or Snivellus by less desirable company.

“I was in the library.”

“All afternoon? What could have possibly kept your interest in there?” she demanded.

The image of Lily surfaced to his mind and he suppressed a smirk.

“Did you want something?”

“I’ve thought over the deal.”

Snape debated about the merit of feigning ignorance. He chose instead to nod his head, allowing Leila to interpret it how she wanted.

“I didn’t believe it would come to this; Sirius is being infuriatingly stubborn and I don’t see how waiting longer will help maters.”

“Batting your eyelashes and swaying your hips, is having no effect on Black?” Snape asked unable to pass this opportunity without a comment. “My, my, have you lost your touch?”

She glared at him. Leila was beautiful in a more sophisticated way that Lily, and Snape relished that a rich, snobby, popular girl needed him. He wouldn’t let her know this, but she needn’t beg for his assistance. He would gladly do anything to make Sirius Black’s life a little more miserable.

“Will you help me or not?”

“There are conditions-”

“Like what?”

“Do you have the potion instructions?”

“I haven’t picked one out yet. The way Slughorn goes on about you, I’d thought you could brew anything.”

“I can,” Snape snapped. “I’d like to know ahead of time the brewing length, and the ingredients, which you will supply and pay for.”

“Of course.”

“I’d also like an assurance of this protection I’m receiving in return. A demonstration, if you will.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“I’ll figure out what and a place and time. You just make sure there are Slytherins there to help me.”

She gazed at him for a moment and for a moment Snape thought she was going to leave. “Fine. You can tell me the time and place after I’ve picked out the right potion. I’ll contact you then.”

“Pleasure doing business with you,” he mocked as he watched her flounce away.


Remus dumped the banana and pile of toast he’d wrapped in white napkin on one of the round tables in the Gryffindor common room.

“You’ll never finish in time,” Remus admonished the sole occupant of the room.

“Have some faith in me, Remus,” Sirius remarked, ceasing his intense scribbling to take a bite out of the toast.

“If you’d listened to me “ Peter had all his homework done before lunch yesterday “ then you’d be eating breakfast in the Great Hall with the rest of us.”

“I’ll listen to you one of these days,” Sirius answered.

The weekend had really flown by fast, and thinking back, Sirius realized he hadn’t really accomplished very much. Saturday morning had been spent in the Forbidden Forest where James and Peter had shown Remus their animal forms, and then they spent some time practicing transforming and testing out their agility. Saturday afternoon they’d lazed around on the Hogwarts grounds chatting about nonsense. Then Saturday night, Sirius and James had engaged in a wizard chess tournament with a few Gryffindor boys from various years. James and Sirius had slept in Sunday morning, and had found Remus had persuaded Peter to spend the morning in the library finishing up the weekend homework. Sunday afternoon Sirius had joined James and Aidan to discuss Quidditch tactics. He’d pretended not to care when Aidan informed him Regulus was now the Slytherin Seeker. Sunday night was filled with more procrastination, and though Sirius had finished most of the work, he’d fallen asleep before completing the Defence Against the Dark Arts essay that was due first thing in the morning.

Crunching on the toast, Sirius read over what he’d written so far. He just needed a quick conclusion now.

“Hurry up or we’ll be late,” Remus said as he paced the room.

“Peter and James meeting us in the classroom?”

“Yes. Peter wouldn’t leave breakfast any earlier than he has to, you know him.”

“You can leave if you want.”

Remus stayed, alternating between pacing, looking at the window, and staring over Sirius’s shoulder to see his progress. After a few more minutes, Remus couldn’t keep quiet any longer, “Sirius-”

“Done!” Sirius replied triumphantly, rolling the scroll and stuffing it into his bag.

“We’ll never make it to class on time,” Remus moaned.

Sirius rolled his eyes. “I know you are a prefect, but if we run-”

“Stop talking and just go.”

So the two fifth years ran out of the common room and briskly through the empty halls. The boys skidded around the corner, wrenched open the classroom door open. Remus already had his essay out and he hastily added it to the pile, and only then did he take a moment to catch his breath. Sirius wasted a few precious seconds rummaging for his, as he grabbed the rolled sheet, and he let it fall from his hand, it glided through the air, as it touched Remus’s assignment, the bell rang. Professor Keenan had been writing something on the blackboard with his wand looked back at them sharply. Sirius met the teacher’s eyes challenging him to call his paper tardy.

No one in their class had yet turned in an assignment late. Keenan’s threat of punishment had so far worked to the teacher’s advantage, and no one had been willing to challenge it yet.

“Lupin, Black, if you’d be so gracious to be seated so we can begin class?”

Sirius nodded, feeling as he’d won a small victory against Professor Keenan.

“We were bloody lucky,” Remus murmured under his breath to Sirius as they took their usual seats; Sirius next to James, and Remus next to Peter a row behind.

Sirius may have disliked Professor Keenan, but the majority of the student population found him to be a fair and competent teacher. The girls were especially fond of him, and had taken to lining up by his office for extra help.

“Wands outs class,” Professor Keenan instructed with a small smile. Practical magic was always every ones favorite part of class. “We will be doing something different today. The Headmaster has given me permission to include in your lessons, as well as the lessons of the sixth and seventh years, dueling.”

There was an agreeable murmur throughout the class.

“Leave your bags and books here. Bring only your wand! I’ve set up a room next door.”

The students didn’t need to be told twice. They clattered out of their seats and chattered merrily with their friends as Keenan lead them to the adjacent classroom. The room had been elongated, and a long rectangle box outlined in red was in the middle of the room. There was a large five point star on each end of the dueling area.

“Line up along the red line, please.”

A Slytherin girl with a pointed nose raised her hand. “Professor, will this be on O.W.L.’s?”

“No. I feel, and Professor Dumbledore has agreed, with the current situation outside Hogwarts’ walls it is imperative that all students be trained in defense, including wizard dueling. Over the next few months we will devote one class a week to dueling. If there is enough interest among fifth, sixth, and seventh years, I will start a Dueling Club.”

The students nodded; eager for the lesson to begin. Even Sirius was impressed by the lesson change.

“In this class we will be focusing on a lot of the formalities associated with dueling. In the real world if you find yourself in a combat situation, these should all be pushed aside. First I will demonstrate to you the ‘armed position’.” Professor Keenan held his arm over his head in a striking position, his legs wide and slightly bent. “Now you try.”

Keenan went around the class adjusting arms and grips were needed. “It is important not to grip your wand too loosely or too tightly. As you practice you will find the best grip for yourself. Today we will go over a simple Disarming Charm. Mr. Pettigrew, do you know the incantation for the Disarming Charm?”

Peter looked startled to have been chosen. “Er “ Expelliarmus?” Peter stammered, “Sir?”

“Correct. Now I want each of you “ without saying the incantation “ to bring your arm in one swift motion toward the middle of your body, like so.” Keenan showed them the movement, and Sirius could tell the teacher was well-versed in dueling by his precise technique. The Professor was light on his feet and in control. “Now you try.”

Keenan strolled around watching them all attempt to copy what he’d just shown them.

“Mr. Tavers, that is too much of a jab. Be determined with your movements, but not so hard.”

“Miss Volker, it must be one swift movement. You must also be less cautious; do no think so much, let the magic flow from within you.”

“Very good class. I’d like everyone to pair up, and to face each other across the dueling square. There should be twelve students on one side, and twelve students on the other.”

James immediately moved toward Sirius to partner. “Let’s go near Snivellus,” James whispered and Sirius nodded in agreement. With careful maneuvering, Sirius was beside Snape, and James was beside Snape’s partner Wilkes.

“I’d like to remind you that we will be Disarming only. Now I would like those on the right side to attempt to disarm your partner. Those on the left side, your job is to simply stand there. Ready. Set. Go.”

“Expelliarmus!”

Sirius watched with satisfaction as James’s wand came sailing toward him. Only Lily and Leila besides Sirius had been successful on their side on the first try

“Class, watch Mr. Black, please. His spell was perfectly executed.”

James retrieved his wand, so Sirius could repeat the spell with the class watching him.

“See his deliberate movement and control? Excellent Mr. Black, have five points for Gryffindor.”

Sirius’s classmates beamed around him. Professor Keenan had the students on the other side give it a whirl. Then he went pair by pair to watch more carefully each student, and to show them the errors they were making. Next, in the same pairs they were instructed to try disarming each other at the same time. It was to see if any of them could cast the spell under duress of their opponent casting at the same time.

James and Sirius were well matched. Sirius did find it more challenging to cast the spell while his opponent was doing the same thing, but after ten minutes he grew restless. Both James and Sirius had mastered this spell at the end of their first year, so it wasn’t anything new to them. If Sirius had been more observant he would have noticed that about half the class, even thirty minutes into the lesson, was still having difficulty. It proved too tempting for the duo, with two Slytherins right beside them, to not have a little bit of fun.

Sirius glanced over to Professor Keenan, who was at the other side of the room, helping Mary McDonald and Anita Knight with their arm movement. Mary looked quite love struck by the fact Keenan had his hand on her arm. James had followed his gaze and thinking all the same lines as Sirius, tilted his head slightly toward Snape and Wilkes.

James cocked his wand, and Sirius pretended to get into the defending position. Silently James sent a spell soaring toward Snivellus. Snape promptly began doing a jig, uncontrollably. It didn’t take long for more and more students to stop practicing to look over, alerting the Professor.

“I said Disarming only!” Keenan said striding over.

“I don’t know what happened!” Wilkes said looking at his wand flabbergasted.

“It was Potter,” someone muttered. Sirius turned toward the voice, but he couldn’t figure out who in the class had snitched.

The damage was done anyway. The words were enough for Professor Keenan to turn to James, who like Sirius had been grinning at Snape’s predicament. James quickly sobered under Keenan’s stare.

“It was an accident,” James explained briskly. “I was aiming for Sirius-”

Before replying, Professor Keenan undid the Jig Jinx. Snape was now bent over trying to catch his breath. His skin had turned a deep red from the exertion of the unplanned exercise.

“If it was an accident, Mr. Potter than Mr. Snape would simply be disarmed and not dancing around like a buffoon!”

“James was aiming at me, sir. And I told him he could use another spell on me,” Sirius interrupted quickly to collaborate his friend’s story.

“Last time I checked you are not the teacher. Are you Mr. Black? I explicably said to only use the Disarming spell. My instructions were not a suggestion; I expect them to be followed.”

Sirius looked down, but did not answer.

James, however, was not ready to give up on talking his way out of trouble. “It was an accident! I only used the other spell because I was bored. I’ve known how to cast a proper Expelliarmus for years now.”

“I’ll make sure to take your entertainment into account next time I plan a lesson then, Mr. Potter.” Professor Keenan stopped and looked around now addressing the whole class. “I had my reasons for choosing a simple spell today. Many wizards and witches have overlooked the merits of the Disarming spell to their detriment. It certainly may not be as flashy as some other magic, but it is one of the most important spells in your arsenal. Disarm your opponent and you’ve effectively neutralized them. As amusing as it may be to see your foe dancing, it will certainly not win you the duel.” Professor Keenan looked hard at James as he said the last sentence.

“It could win it for you, sir. The forced dancing could distract your opponent, making it even easier for you to disarm them,” James shot back.

“Five points off Gryffindor for failing to follow directions. Another five points for speaking out of turn and for not addressing your teacher properly, and I will see you after class, Mr. Potter.”

“Yes, sir,” James muttered. Any Gryffindor that may have been on James’s side was now looking angrily at him for causing the House to be down five points. Sirius felt James had made a good point, but teachers never did take to being told they were wrong. Snape’s pallor was almost back to normal and he looked pleased by the teacher’s reprimand.

“I shall split you and Mr. Black up for the rest of class as well. If you continue to act like children, I shall treat you like children. Ms. Evans, switch places with Mr. Potter.”

Lily had been partnered with Anita Knight, who would now work with James. As if to pound into their heads the importance of the Disarming spells, they spent the rest of class doing it over and over again. At the end they each had a go against Professor Keenan, and James was the only one to cause the teacher’s wand to clatter to the ground. Not far enough from Keenan that he couldn’t dive to retrieve his wand had it been a real duel, but it was a success nothing less.

“Good, Mr. Potter. You just need a little more strength behind the magic and my wand would have sailed straight to you. Five points to Gryffindor,” Keenan stated looking very perplexed that he was rewarding the same boy he had reprehended for foolhardiness less than twenty minutes ago.

The students then returned back to their usual classroom to collect their bags, and Professor Keenan wrote the homework due next lesson on the board. As the class was dismissed, Sirius hung back with James.

“I wish I’d had a chance to jinx Wilkes too before Keenan noticed,” Sirius told James quietly.

James was waiting for Mary McDonald to leave. She had grabbed Keenan’s attention once more and she was asking if he’d been in any dueling clubs when he was in school. Sirius listened with interest as he told her that he indeed had and had won twice in his fifth and seventh year. Sirius followed Mary out of the classroom glancing back at James once more.


James approached Professor Keenan’s desk. He wasn’t nervous about the lecture he was sure to receive. He couldn’t count the number of times he’d been in a similar situation as this. Some teachers tried being loud and harsh with their words to get their point across, while others attempted to sound as they were merely giving out friendly advice about proper behavior. However, this was his first time in front of Professor Keenan alone and he had a feeling Keenan would be very similar to McGonagall. Professor McGonagall was very direct in relaying her disappointment in her students’ actions. She was one of the few teachers who, on occasion, had made James feel guilty.

Professor Keenan had taken a seat, which was an interesting choice, especially when he didn’t offer James one. The Professor rang a hand through is dark hair, in a very similar gesture to the one James habitually did, and clasped his hands neatly upon the desk.

James noticed one of the picture frames on Keenan’s desk was facing him. In the picture were two boys in their late teens. The older one looked like a younger Keenan, while the one with blonde hair, James guessed was his younger brother. The picture had been taken with a Muggle camera because it did not move.

“Mr. Potter, you will serve detention with me tomorrow night,” Professor Keenan began.

James frowned having only expected a lecture, and not detention in addition to the ten points deducted.

“I will not tolerate hexing other students in my classroom.” James went to open his mouth. “And I do not believe that your spell was meant for Mr. Black. Your aim is far too good to make a mistake like that. You do not have to like your classmates, but you will respect them.”

“But, sir, it was amusing-”

“To who? Mr. Snape who was humiliated? To all the other students who were disrupted in their practice because of your childish antics?” James stayed silent, though not quite an apology; it was perhaps the most Professor Keenan was going to receive that morning out of the rebellious youth. “You were also disrespectful towards me and this will be the last time I remind you to address me with ‘sir’ or ‘Professor’. I will refrain this time for assigning you a second detention for that infraction. Do you understand?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I understand that today’s lesson might have been frustratingly slow for you. Instead of jinxing one of your classmates, a more beneficial use of your time would have been aiding those classmates who were struggling.”

“Yes, sir. What time will the detention be?”

“Seven-thirty sharp.”

“Seven-thirty, sir?” James repeated.

“Yes. Is there a problem?”

“Could it possibly begin at eight instead, sir?”

Professor Keenan looked at James as if flame had just spouted out of his mouth. “For what reason?” Keanan asked through clenched teeth.

“I’ve Quidditch practice from seven to eight that night, sir,” James said throwing his teacher a charming smile.

“No. I have a half a mind to change the time to seven! Perhaps missing something you really want to be at will inspire you to behave?”

“Maybe, sir,” James murmured.

“Seven-thirty. If you are late, you’ll have detention for the next week. You may go.”

“Right, sir.”

James grasped the door open firmly. Aidan Gallagher would throw a fit once he heard James would be missing more than half of practice tomorrow.

“What did he say?” Sirius asked immediately.

“He went on and on about respecting all my classmates, including Snivellus.”

Sirius nodded grimly in understanding.

“I’ve got detention too.”

“Well you’re used to detentions,” Peter said. “That’s not so bad.”

“That’s not the worst part! I’m going to miss part of Quidditch practice because of it and he threatened to change the time so I’d miss all of it, when I asked if I could serve it a little later,” James complained.

“That’s really unfair,” Peter agreed.

“I think Professor Keenan has been very fair,” Remus said quietly from the wall he’d been leaning on.

“Oh, you would,” Sirius said.

Ignoring Sirius, Remus said, “Come on, James. You can’t expect a teacher to allow you to hex another student in the classroom without repercussions.”

James made a derisive noise.

“And then you had the nerve to ask him to change your detention time for Quidditch. If it had been Professor McGonagall she’d have changed the time, so that you would have missed all of practice.”

“She wants Gryffindor to win the Quidditch Cup as much as we do,” James insisted. It was true, but McGonagall had never given Quidditch players from her house any leniency on rule breaking.

“He also awarded you five points when you were the only one to disarm him. Some teachers might have been angry enough with you to not give you anything,” Remus finished.

“I still don’t like him,” James said sullenly.

“You don’t have to, but you can’t say Professor Keenan isn’t fair,” Remus persisted.

“Maybe I can persuade Aidan to start practice a half an hour earlier,” James said brightening slightly as the boys wandered off to their next class.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! I really would love to hear what you think, so please take a moment to review.