Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Preludes by Pendraegona

Printer
Summary: Fenrir Greyback's werewolves live in haphazard communities throughout the metropolitan city of Wolverhampton, stealing and surviving on the margins of an oblivious society. Remus Lupin plunges headfirst into a lifestyle more brutal and vicious than he has ever known, hoping to save the world from his own kind--and from himself.
Ratings: 1st-2nd Years [ - ]
Category: General Fics
Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Violence
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 4 Completed?: Yes
Wordcount: 7989 Viewcount: 10944
Published on: 10/28/07 Updated On: 12/07/07



Story Notes: This is a series of character sketches written around Remus Lupin, each one involving some sort of miniature epiphany (a concept I borrowed from James Joyce). The inspiration is the poem 'Preludes' by my favorite poet, T.S. Eliot.


1.
Lighting of the Lamps
by Pendraegona [ - ] (1478 words)
Remus Lupin, Fenrir Greyback, Albus Dumbledore, and any other characters you may recognize belong to J.K.; the title and poetry at the beginning of each chapter are taken from T.S. Eliot's poem "Preludes." Consider it as...a prelude to Remus Lupin we see in the sixth Harry Potter book.

And of course a million thanks to my betas, bluemoon13 and CakeorDeath!

Warnings for mild violence/abuse. What did you expect from werewolves?

2.
With the Other Masquerades
by Pendraegona [ - ] (2260 words)
This chapter is a series of disjointed scenes juxtaposing Remus' double lives, his work for the Order of the Phoenix and his time with the werewolves. Leas Feorh is Old English for "False Life" (Remus' masquerade in the werewolf community), and Sceadu Feorh is Old English for "Shadow Life" (Remus' work for the Order). "Aweccan" means "Awaken."

This chapter is dedicated to my two reviewers, who made my day all the brighter, my two amazing and extraordinarily patient betas, bluemoon13 and CakeorDeath, and my two most inspiring literary figures, T.S. Eliot (who owns the poem) and J.K. Rowling (who owns everything else).

3. The Night Revealing by Pendraegona [ - ] (1442 words)
Disclaimer: If I were J.K., this wouldn't be fanfiction. It would just be fiction.

Thanks to my fantastic betas, CakeorDeath and bluemoon 13, for all their patience and help, and also to my one reviewer, who made Chapter Three worth trying to write. And also to french vanilla cappucinos, to which I owe my sanity.

4.
Infinitely Suffering Thing
by Pendraegona [ - ] (2809 words)
I'm not J.K., and the poem is from T.S. Eliot's "Preludes."

Most stories have plots, with accompanying charater development. The plot of this story IS character development. It's like James Joyce's novel, "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", in which the protagonist (for Joyce, it's Stephen Dedalus; for me, Remus Lupin) has an epiphany about himself, or about the world, in each chapter. Stephen's journey doesn't end with the last chapter of 'Portait', and Remus' doesn't end here, but you all know the rest of Remus' story.

Thanks to my amazing betas, bluemoon13 and CakeorDeath, who put up with all my writing experiments, to CinderellaAngelina, who has reviewed all the chapters and been wonderfully encouraging, and to all of you, for reading! Here it is.