Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Keeps Us Together (Sometimes Apart) by DontCallMeNymphadora

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Tonks is released from the hospital and goes to the Burrow. Here she is introduced to Fleur and catches up with Bill.

Please read and review!!!
Tonks was released from Saint Mungo’s two days before the last term at Hogwarts ended. Mad-Eye had stopped by with Kingsley the day before her release to tell her that she would be needed, if she was up to it, to go to the train station to make sure that there was no harm come to Harry and the kids, along with Mad-Eye and Remus. Though Tonks was still angry with Remus, she said she would come along, but for the kids’ sake, though she also secretly wanted to talk to Remus again after the kids had all been picked up, and Mad-Eye had left.

The day that Tonks was released, she Disapparated to the Burrow, needing to talk to somebody about anything- and she didn’t want that somebody to be Remus. When Molly Weasley heard the crack outside her door, she shrieked from where she stood by the sink, washing dishes manually, just because she needed something to do.

“Molly,” Tonks said, knocking on the door quietly. “It’s Tonks, can I come in?”

“Tonks?” Molly asked, drying her hands on a towel. “Oh, dear, you’re finally out of Saint Mungo’s! Come in, and have a seat.” She went over to the door and opened it, pulling Tonks into a motherly hug.

“How are you dear?” she asked, pulling out a chair for Tonks at the table. “Would you like something to eat; anything to drink?”

“Um, sure,” Tonks answered. “Could I just have some tea, please? Oh, and I’m… fine, I guess, you could say.”

“Why only fine?” Molly asked, bringing Tonks a steaming mug of tea. “Is something wrong, dear?”

Suddenly, there were footsteps descending down the stairs, and Bill Weasley came down them, holding the hand of a beautiful silvery-blonde haired young woman, who was smiling brightly.

“Hey Mum,” Bill said, kissing his mother lightly on the cheek. “We thought we heard voices.” He spotted Tonks. “Hey, Dora, how are you?” he asked, releasing the girl’s hand to give Tonks a hug.

“Hey Bill,” she said. “I’m alright, I suppose. The last few days have been no picnic though.” She sighed, then turned to the girl beside him, who now had a hurt look on her face. “Who is this, Bill?” she asked.

Bill again took the young woman’s hand in his, then sat down at the table across from Tonks. Molly got up from the table swiftly, Tonks noticed, as soon as the young woman sat down with him.

“This is Fleur,” Bill said, smiling at the woman. “She competed in the Triwizard Tournament last year against Harry, for Beuxbatons. Now, she works at Gringotts, with me.”

“It eez a pleasure to meet you,” Fleur said, extending her hand out to Tonks and smiling. Tonks took her hand and shook it. “Bill ‘as told me leetle bits about you and some ozers in ze Order of ze Phoenix; it eez nice to finally meet someone.”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Tonks said, smiling back at her. “And, um, are you and Bill together?”

“Yes, we are,” Bill answered, looking at Fleur again. “We’ve been together for the past six months. She’s visiting today, as she didn’t feel like going home.” He leaned in closer to Tonks. “Mum isn’t happy about it, though. I can’t see why, Fleur is such a wonderful girl.”

Tonks smiled, then said, “Maybe your mum just thinks that you are trying to move too fast, after a six month relationship.”

Bill cocked an eyebrow at her. “Come on, Tonks. Mum and Dad got married about a month after they graduated from Hogwarts. They were only eighteen.”

“True,” Tonks said, but was interrupted by Molly, who had apparently been eavesdropping from the kitchen.

“Married?!” she shrieked. “Who is to say that you and Fleur are to be getting married? You’ve only been together for six months!”

“Mum, did anyone say anything about marriage?” Bill asked, looking at his mother, raising his eyebrows. “At least not yet,” he added in a whisper to Tonks and Fleur, the latter of them who giggled and kissed Bill on the cheek.

Tonks smiled sadly, half her mind on Bill and Fleur, the other half on Remus, and how she wished he would stop being so stubborn and stupid.

“So, ‘ave you found anyone zat you like, Tonks?” Fleur asked, looking over to Tonks now.

“Um, well, I,” Tonks stammered, not wanting to reveal her love of Remus, that, at the moment, none other than herself, Remus and Molly knew of. “Um, I’m not sure. I’m kind of, you know, just doing my job… trying to stay focused… don’t want to be fired, now do I?” She forced a laugh, then sat back in her chair, feeling a blush creep up her cheeks and willing it to go away. Just for something to do, she began to chew at a hangnail.

“Oh, I understand,” Bill said, but a look in his eye told Tonks that he didn’t believe her one bit. He could read her so easily; he’d been able to since they were together for three months in Hogwarts, and even after Tonks called it off, and that meant all the way until now. It made Tonks rather uncomfortable, sometimes, because she didn’t exactly want him to know everything anymore, and hadn’t for eight years.

“Oh, well, you’ve still got plenty of time, Tonks,” Fleur said, smiling sweetly at her. Obviously, she believed Tonks; either that or she was a very good actress.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Tonks said, wanting this conversation to end now, before she would have to go and dig herself a grave.

“Um, so, Fleur, what made you decide to work at Gringotts after you were done with the Tournament?” Tonks asked, desperate for something, anything else to talk about.

“Well, I wanted to eemproove my Eenglish,” Fleur said. “I mean I can speak eet, but I want to be able to speak eet more fluenzly, more properly.”

“She speaks it fine,” Bill said. “But, apparently, she wants to speak it better. I rather like her accent though.” He shrugged.

“Well, you may like eet, but I am rather annoyed by eet,” Fleur said, grimacing. “Eet eez just so different from everyone else’s around here, and I want to sound like zem.”

“Why would you want to sound the same as everyone else?” Tonks asked.

“Because, I don’t like sticking out,” Fleur said, flipping her hair over her shoulder. “I’d rather fit in with ze ozzers around here.”

“But, isn’t it better to stick out? I mean, why be like everyone else?” Tonks asked, also thinking that she would probably stick out anyway, considering the color of her hair. That is why Tonks thoroughly enjoyed being a Metamorphmagus, so that she wouldn’t have to look like everyone else.

“No, because zen if you were to do somezing wrong, well…” Fleur said, then trailed off. “Never mind, I don’t know.”

“Fleur, I’m just curious,” Tonks said. “Why is your hair that color? And, doesn’t that already make you stick out, at least a little?”

“Look who eez talking,” Fleur said, indicating Tonks’ spiked up pink hair. “No, eet eez because I am part Veela; my grandmuzzer was a full Veela.”

“So, obviously, she would stick out anyway,” Bill said. “At least, to all the wizards who know what Veela are.” He paused, glowering slightly. “I just have to deal with it.”

“And he does well,” Fleur said, giggling again.

Tonks nodded, sitting back in her chair again. She was beginning to feel just a bit uncomfortable around Fleur. Yes, she thought she was very sweet, but she also giggled a bit much. Tonks was beginning to wonder if that is how she seemed around Remus; God, she hoped not.

“Well,” Bill said, looking at Tonks and then to Fleur. “I think we should probably go now. It was nice seeing you, Tonks.”

“Eet was very nice to meet you, Tonks,” Fleur said, standing up from the table. “I ‘ope zat we can see you again soon.”

“Oh, it was very nice to meet you, too,” Tonks said, shaking Fleur’s hand. “Bill, it was nice seeing you again, as well.”

“Bye,” Fleur said, looking back as she and Bill ascended back up the stairs together. Not five seconds later, Molly came bustling back into the kitchen, a tray of sandwiches balanced in the air by her wand.

“Oh, thank God they’ve left,” Molly said, sitting down across from Tonks, shoving the tray to her.

Tonks took one of the sandwiches gratefully, then asked, “Why would you want them to leave? Aren’t you happy for Bill?”

“Well, of course I’m happy for him,” Molly answered. “But, well, I’d just rather he didn’t go for some little Veela. He can’t honestly love her; all young men fall under the Veela’s spell, when they are around.” She paused, then looked up at Tonks. “Besides, dear, I’d much rather he be with someone like you.” She smiled uncertainly.

“Me?!” Tonks gasped, looking at Molly as if she were crazy. “Why on Earth would you want Bill with someone like me? All I am is clumsy, and- and-” She faltered, not knowing what to argue. “Besides, Bill and I tried this eight years ago… it didn’t work. It most certainly wouldn’t work now. And besides, don’t you remember when I told you- Never mind, I don’t want to talk about that.” Tonks stood up from the table looking flustered. “Look, I’d better go,” Tonks said. “I’ve got lots to do, since I’ve been gone.” She began walking towards the door, before Molly could even try to call her back. “Thanks, Molly, for, um, everything; bye.” She threw the kitchen door open, tripping in the grass, then walked further out into the yard and Disapparated to her flat, leaving Molly with her mouth open in shock at the table.
Chapter Endnotes: Okay. I am sorry this chapter took so long to submit. I feel like such an idiot because I had two chapters submitted in the Remus/Tonks, and once I get my chapter validated, I will be submitting my other Remus/Tonks fan fiction. I hope all of you will read it as well!!!!!