Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Keeps Us Together (Sometimes Apart) by DontCallMeNymphadora

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm really sorry this is getting in so late. I've been busy... and, well, grounded.
So, here's chapter twelve.
Not a very nice chaper... well, you see the title. Tell me if you guys like it, okay.
I love getting the feedback!
After Remus left Tonks crying in Saint Mungo’s, he didn’t go back to visit her again. Instead, he went to his flat and did nothing, feeling like the worst man in the universe now, not only because of what he had done to Tonks, but also because of all the recent events that had to keep occurring in his life.

But, after two days of nothing, Kingsley and Mad-Eye stopped by Remus’ flat, requesting that he go to Platform 9¾ to make sure that no harm would come to Harry and the other kids when they arrived back from Hogwarts two days later. When he asked who else would be there, the answer was Mad-Eye and Tonks, the latter of whom he wasn’t too keen on having to see again, partly for fear of what she could do to him, and, knowing Tonks, that could be anything; but, reluctantly, he agreed, if for anything, to assure that the kids were safe.

So, two days later, he Disapparated from his flat to the station, where Tonks was already waiting, arms crossed, leaning against a pillar, her hair bright pink, and dressed in ripped jeans and a Weird Sisters shirt. Luckily, there were no Muggles around at this part of the station whom could become suspicious of him appearing out of nowhere.

“Who is-” Tonks asked, looking around when she heard the crack, then, upon seeing Remus, said, “Oh, it’s you.” She resumed her position against the pillar, though her posture was tenser.

“Hello to you as well,” Remus said quietly, then stood against the pillar on the opposite side, his back to Tonks; he began messing with a hang-nail.

“So,” Tonks said stiffly, keeping her back to her side of the pillar. “What’ve you been up to these past days? Nothing, I suppose?”

“You would be right in that, Nymphadora,” Remus answered, turning his head slightly to see her reaction. She remained staring at the wall in front of her. “What about you?”

“Oh, nothing, Professor” Tonks said, deciding to use a name she was sure he disliked in return for him using her first name. “I was just stuck in some stupid hospital with no visitors, having to mope and do absolutely nothing for two more days, then leave and have a very not-at-all-fun visit with Molly Weasley. The only thing I did of any bit of interest is to find out who Bill is seeing, and to meet her.”

“Oh, Bill is seeing someone?” Remus asked, not looking at Tonks this time. “Who is it? I would’ve thought he had at least some interest in you.”

Tonks whirled around the pillar, her fierce gaze meeting Remus’ timid, yet relaxed one. “Yes, he is seeing someone. Her name is Fleur and I believe that she competed in the Triwizard Tournament against Harry, he said. And, no he hasn’t had the least bit of interest in me since we were at Hogwarts.” She turned back around to the other side of the pillar. “And, I don’t believe that would be a matter of your interest anyway, would it?”

“No, I suppose you’re right,” Remus said, feeling worse than he had before now. “It wouldn’t be of my interest, would it, considering I don’t have any interest at all in what goes on in other people’s lives?” He cocked his eyebrows, waiting for Tonks to turn around with an outburst; to his surprise, she answered him calmly.

“No, it wouldn’t,” Tonks answered, hoping she was causing Remus to at least have a heart about something, if not that, feel at least a bit horrible. “Because, you are right; you don’t really care at all, do you? Not unless it involves your pitiful life as a stupid werewolf who lives alone because he thinks that no one cares about him, and because he cares about no one at all.” She smirked, tapping her fingers on her elbow.

Remus was silent for a few seconds, not knowing how to respond. Tonks was fighting back, and she wouldn’t give up; if Remus knew anything, it was that.

“Well,” Remus said, then cut short as he saw Mad-Eye walking into the station, his bowler hat covering his magical eye.

“Well, what?” Tonks asked. “Do you agree that you don’t care? Do you agree that you don’t-” She was cut short as Remus gripped her shoulder tightly. “Ow!” she said, then stopped as Remus whispered, “Mad-Eye is here. Don’t you think it would be just a tad awkward if he walked in on this lovely conversation?”

“Fine,” Tonks said sharply, wrenching her arm from Remus’ grasp. “But you’re not off the hook, Remus Lupin, not one bit.”

“Fine,” Remus said, turning back around to his side, watching Mad-Eye approach wearily. “But it doesn’t mean I have to listen to you.”

“Remus, do you take joy in hurting others,” Tonks asked icily, “because that sure does seem like it’s what you live for, and why you talk to me.”

“Tonks,” Remus said quietly, as Mad-Eye was now about twenty-five feet away. “If you value the way you feel being kept secret, I really suggest that you just shut up.”

“Fine,” Tonks hissed, Remus’ last words stinging her. She leaned herself fully back against the pillar again and was silent. A tear slipped down her cheek, and she brushed it away, then dabbed her eyes on her shirt, hoping they wouldn’t appear watery when she turned around again.

“Remus,” Tonks heard from the other side of the pillar as Mad-Eye arrived. “Good, you’re here. Where the hell is Tonks, I told the lassie four o’clock and no later-”

“I’m right here,” Tonks said, stepping to the other side and glaring at Mad-Eye. Men are the stupidest and rudest creatures to ever walk this Earth, she thought, as she faced who she thought were the rudest ones. “And, Mad-Eye, as far as I can see, I was here well before you and Lupin.”

“Do you have proof of that Nymphadora?” Remus asked snidely, examining her look of anger. “Well, you don’t, but yes, it’s true, Mad-Eye, she was here before I.”

“Fine, lassie,” Mad-Eye growled. “Sorry. Now, we need to make sure we’re ready for when they all get here, alright?” He began limping forward, leaving Remus and Tonks, who began walking side-by-side, holding a whispered conversation.

“I hate you, Remus,” Tonks hissed, glaring at him. “You’re the foulest and lowest man, I swear upon it.”

“Well, Tonks, I do believe that this is actually better than you loving me,” Remus answered. “And, it does quite equal the way I feel about myself, so I guess that’s fair enough.”

“Good,” Tonks said, quickening her pace to get away from him. But did I ever say anything about not loving you? she thought to herself as she increased the distance between herself and Remus.

“Mad-Eye,” she called as she caught up to him.

“Tonks,” he said sharply, turning around. “When out in public, you will call me Alastor, so as not to attract looks from Muggles, understood?”

“Fine,” Tonks said. “But I don’t understand why; there’s hardly anyone here at the moment, and besides, I do believe that some of them are parents of Hogwarts students. The last train left a few minutes after I arrived here, and the next one shouldn’t be arriving until after the Hogwarts Express.”

“Nymphadora,” Mad-Eye said warningly. “Don’t you give me cheek, understood? I know a hell of a lot more than you do about this, alright? Now, listen to what I say, understood?”

“Fine,” Tonks said, getting sick and tired of men and their stupid ways and attitudes, along with them thinking she was so young and naïve.

“So, Alastor, when does the train arrive with the kids?” Tonks asked timidly, thinking she would just leave if she received another lecture, from either of the men.

“The train arrives at roughly anytime from four fifteen to four thirty,” Mad-Eye answered, now standing near the pillar between Platforms 9 and 10. “So, we’ve got another ten minutes or so.”

“Thanks,” Tonks said. “Mad-Eye, can I go get something to eat, then? I’ll be right back, I promise.”

“Lassie, do you have to choose now to be hungry?” Mad-Eye said, looking over to Tonks and rolling his eyes.

“What?” Tonks asked, looking to him. “I can’t help it if I get hungry. Please, just let me go, Mad-Eye.”

“You’d better hurry it up, Tonks,” Mad-Eye said. “And I do believe I told you to call me Alastor.”

“I don’t feel like it,” Tonks said, and began walking away before Mad-Eye could really lose his temper and begin yelling at her again.

Tonks passed Remus while walking up to the front of the train station, where there were snack machines. He began to follow her.

“Tonks, where are you going?” Remus asked trying to keep pace with her.

“I’m hungry,” Tonks replied, continuing forward, quickening her pace slightly. She turned left, nearly colliding with a pole in her haste.

“Are you okay?” Remus asked, a few feet behind her.

“Perfectly fine, thanks,” Tonks said shortly, not looking back, wishing Remus would just leave her alone for the time being. “Why don’t you go back to where Mad-Eye is? I’m sure he needs someone over there so he doesn’t go completely ballistic, once all of the parents have arrived to pick up their children.”

“Oh, so you’re leaving and ditching the kids?” Remus asked. “Very brave of you, and you’re an Auror as well.”

“No, I bloody am not leaving,” Tonks said. “I would never ditch the kids, Lupin. What kind of person do you think I am?”

“A Metamorphmagus with a terrible temper, and values that I will never understand,” Remus muttered under his breath.

“What was that?” Tonks asked, turning around to face him, arms crossed, her eyebrows cocked.

“Nothing,” Remus said.

“Well, if you have nothing more to say, then I suggest that you go back to where Mad-Eye is,” Tonks said.

“Alright then, I’ll leave you alone, Tonks,” Remus said, turning around and walking away. He couldn’t think of a time he had ever hated himself more. He was breaking her, and he knew it. He didn’t want to know how much longer until she would break completely and fall apart; that would probably make him wish he would just go to Hell.

“Remus,” Mad-Eye barked as Remus got closer to where he stood against the pillar. “Where did that stubborn, ignorant girl get to?”

“Do you mean Tonks?” Remus asked.

“No, I mean Hermione Granger,” Mad-Eye said sarcastically, getting annoyed. “Of course I mean Tonks!”

“She’s getting something to eat, I suppose,” Remus answered, coming to a halt by the pillar.

“Well, she’d better hurry up,” Mad-Eye answered. “The train is set to arrive within the next few minutes, and she’s supposed to be here.”

“I’m sure she’s coming, Alastor,” Remus said, having caught the conversation Mad-Eye had with Tonks earlier about the name bit.

A few minutes passed. By now, the station was filled with swarming parents and a few grandparents, all waiting to greet their much missed children and grandchildren after a very long term at Hogwarts. Remus spotted pink hair walking through the crowd and knew it was Tonks.

“Alastor,” he said. “She’s coming back now.”

“Good,” Mad-Eye said. “I was about to send you to go and get her if she hadn’t been back in the next minute.”

Remus rolled his eyes, glancing at the clock. It was now 4:15. The Hogwarts Express should be arriving in the next few minutes. He looked back into the crowd and saw that Tonks was near now.

“Are they here yet?” she asked when she reached them, though she directed it to Mad-Eye.

“No, not yet,” Remus said, eyeing her carefully.

“What I meant, was, Mad-,” she cut short before Mad-Eye could become really cross. “Alastor, has the train come yet?” She glared at Remus, who seemed to be a bit taken aback. Good, Tonks thought. Maybe the stupid werewolf needs to learn a bit about me and the way I feel when it comes to him.

“Didn’t you just hear Remus?” Mad-Eye barked. “It’s not here-” He cut off, as a group of three children had just appeared out of the barrier in front of them. “Never mind,” Mad-Eye said gruffly.

Suddenly, Molly and Arthur Weasley walked up to the group, followed by Fred and George. “Hello, Remus, Alastor, Tonks,” Molly said, gathering each in turn into a hug, Mad-Eye grimacing as his turn came. “Have our lot come off the train yet?”

“No,” Tonks answered, waving to Arthur as he waved to the others from behind Molly. “There’s only been about three off, so I expect it will be a few more minutes before they arrive.” She turned to Fred and George as Molly and Arthur began talking to Remus and Mad-Eye.

“Well, well, well,” Fred said, wrapping his arm around Tonks’ shoulder. “How’re you today dear lady?”

“Yes, Tonks,” George said, coming to the other side of Tonks. “How is life suiting you?”

“Um, okay, I guess,” Tonks answered. “Probably not as good as it is you, though, by the looks of those jackets. Are they-”

“Dragon skin,” Fred answered.

“Of the best quality,” George added on. “Don’t you like it?”

“Um, sure,” Tonks answered uncertainly. “And how did you manage to afford those, might I ask?”

“Well, what other than our wonderful shop?” Fred answered.

“Business has really been going great!” George added. “It’s actually better than when you stopped by. And, I can only imagine it will be even better once the summer break officially starts. You know, we could offer you a job there.”

“Well, that is kind of you,” Tonks answered. “But, in case you haven’t noticed, I already have a job as an Auror, so I don’t really need one.” She paused, thinking. “But, I’m sure Remus could use one.”

“Well, why don’t we go and ask him?” George said to Fred. “Bye Tonks, nice chatting with you.”

Tonks shook her head and leaned against the barrier, watching Fred and George consult Remus. By now, several more Hogwarts students had appeared out of the barrier, and were finding their parents; but, as far as she could see, there were still no sign of Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny.

But then, after a few more minutes, the four children appeared. Mrs. Weasley shrieked and rushed forward, hugging Ron and Ginny tightly to her, then turning to Harry, and finally Hermione. Tonks looked to Remus, who was greeting Harry now. She stayed off to the side, waiting until Harry would come away from Remus to greet him. But, that didn’t happen. Instead, Harry, Mad-Eye, Mr. Weasley and Remus all began walking to a group of three people, whom Tonks recognised from watching them the year previously; Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, and their fat son, Dudley. Mad-Eye beckoned for Tonks to follow, so she walked forward and joined the group, along with Hermione and Ron.

“Ah, good afternoon,” Mr. Weasley said, looking at Mr. Dursley. “I’m Arthur Weasley, you might remember?”

Mr. Dursley remained silent, staring at the group in front of them. Seeing he wasn’t going to respond, Mr. Weasley continued. “We all thought we could just have a word with you about Harry, here.”

“About how he’s being treated when he’s with you,” Mad-Eye added.

Mr. Dursley bristled with anger. “Is it really any of your concern about how we treat the boy? I was not aware of it concerning you.”

“There must be a lot you are not aware of, Dursley,” Mad-Eye interjected.

“But, that isn’t the point,” Tonks said. “However, if we find out you’ve mistreated Harry in any way-”

“And believe me, we will find out,” Remus interjected. Tonks gave him the slightest of glares, which went unnoticed by everyone else.

“Even if Harry isn’t allowed to use the fellytone,” Mr. Weasley said.

“It’s a telephone,” Hermione hissed earnestly.

“Yes, if we hear even a murmur about him being mistreated,” Mad-Eye continued. “You will be answering to us.”

“Is that a threat?” Mr. Dursley asked loudly.

“Yes, it is,” Mad-Eye answered. “And, it’s also a promise.”

“Do I look to be threatened in the least?” Mr. Dursley asked, his face reddening.

“Well, yes, you do,” Mad-Eye said, as he pulled back his bowler hat to show his magical eye, which caused Mr. Dursley to leap backwards in shock.

He then turned away from Mr. Dursley. Tonks nodded to Mrs. Dursley, causing her to cringe, then went over to Hermione and Ginny, who were talking near Fred and George.

“Well, how’ve you two been?” she asked, hugging both of them.

“Tonks!” Ginny said, hugging her tightly back. “It’s so good to see you! I’ve been alright.”

“Oh, yes, it is good to see you,” Hermione said. “I’ve been good. What about you?”

“Oh, I’m okay,” Tonks said, smiling slightly. “Well, I should probably be going, now. You two take care, okay? I expect I’ll be seeing you sometime this summer. I hope you have a great time.”

“We will,” Hermione said. “Bye Tonks. You have a good summer, too.”

“I’ll try, though it isn’t exactly summer when you’re an Auror,” Tonks said, laughing. “You never know what’s going to happen, so you don’t always have time off.”

“Well, still,” Ginny said. “It was nice seeing you. Bye.”

“Bye girls,” Tonks said. She walked away from them and over to where Molly stood, talking to Remus.

“Molly,” she said. “Do you mind if I drop by the Burrow sometime this summer?”

“Not at all, dear,” Molly answered. “Maybe you and Remus could both come out and have dinner.”

“Sure,” Tonks said, smiling. “Well, I’d better go. I’ll see you soon.” She hugged Mrs. Weasley, then nodded to Remus. “See you,” she said, then turned and walked away, waving goodbye to Harry, Ron and everyone else before she Apparated to her flat.