Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Keeps Us Together (Sometimes Apart) by DontCallMeNymphadora

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Just what it says it is....
A new beginning for Remus and Tonks
“Hello Remus,” Tonks said quietly, yet stiffly, as she came over and stood by him.

“Hello, Dora,” Remus said. He reached his arms out, welcoming her to hug him. She remained where she was, however, so he dropped his arms back to his sides.

“Can you come help me?” Tonks asked. “I need to go get the food and bring it out.”

“Sure,” Remus answered. He followed Tonks into the kitchen, dropping his jacket that he’d never used onto the counter.

“Could you grab the potatoes and the chicken?” Tonks asked, scooping a basket of rolls and a jug of water into her arms.

Remus nodded, walking over to the oven, where the chicken and potatoes sat; he stopped. “Nymphadora,” he began, turning to her.

“What?” she asked, quietly and cautiously. She turned to him, nearly spilling the water. She set the jug on the table and placed the rolls beside it.

“I’m sorry,” Remus said, looking down at his shoes, “for everything.” He waited silently for a few seconds, hearing nothing from Tonks. He thought maybe she had left.

“Remus,” she said, almost in a whisper. She stepped forward and lifted Remus’ chin so that he was looking her in the eyes. “Say it to my face, and I’ll believe you.”

Remus looked into her dark eyes. “I’m sorry for everything, Nymphadora. Or would you rather me say Tonks?”

“Nymphadora’s fine,” she said, taking her hand from his chin and stepping back to where she had laid the rolls and water. “And, I do believe you. I just can’t forgive it.” She began to walk outside again. “I’m sorry, too, Remus,” she added, before she stepped out the door.

Remus sighed. He’d try again after dinner. Maybe then she’d be easier to persuade, because he knew that she didn’t really feel as she did. She was building a wall around her emotions, and Remus wanted to break through it today, since Bill had actually persuaded him.

He picked up the chicken and potatoes and brought them outside, setting them on the table.

“Hey Remus!” he heard from his left.

Looking to see who it was, he saw Fred and George, apparently just off of work.

“Hello, boys,” he said. “How’re you doing?”

“Oh, perfectly well,” Fred said. “So, have you thought about the job offer we gave you?”

“Yes, I’ve thought about it,” Remus answered.

“And?” George asked.

“And, I don’t think that it’s the right thing for me,” Remus replied. “Not to mention, if the Ministry found out you had hired a werewolf, I’m afraid they may shut you down.”

“Aw, that’s too bad,” Fred said. “We were rather hoping you would join us.”

“Sorry boys,” Remus answered. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Aren’t you staying for dinner?” Fred asked.

“Oh, yes,” Remus said. “Good point.” Sighing, he turned and went to sit under a tree. His mind was almost completely on Tonks, and therefore, he wasn’t able to think properly. When he sat, he heard a voice from the other side.

“Remus, is that you?”

“Yes,” Remus said, knowing who the voice belonged to; it was so imprinted in his mind from all the times he had spoken to it and had it yell at him. He scooted around to the other side, the side that faced the orchard. “You know, I really am sorry,” he said, placing his hand on top of Tonks’.

“I am too,” Tonks said, looking up into his face. “I don’t mean to come off like I do; I just get angry and frustrated with you.” She squeezed his hand softly.

“Yeah, I know,” Remus answered. “And, you don’t really have to be sorry. It’s all me. I’ve ignored what I really feel, and what I really want.”

Tonks looked up at him, not believing what she thought she had just heard. “Could you repeat that, please?”

“Tonks, I love you,” Remus said. “Truly, I do. Look, the only reason I was shutting myself off from you is because I didn’t want to hurt you-”

“-Which you did,” Tonks cut in. Remus squeezed her hand.

“I meant physically hurt you,” Remus said. “But, I don’t ever want to hurt you. I feel horrible hurting you. Can I try one last time to persuade you to feel differently before I continue?”

“You can try,” Tonks said. “But it’s never going to work.” She laughed quietly, laying her head on Remus’ shoulder.

“Well, then, here’s my final attempt,” Remus answered, lightly stroking her hair. “Nymphadora, I am far too old, far too dangerous and far too poor for you. I could never properly provide for you, and I could be so much of a danger to you. Not to mention, your position in society would fall greatly. I’m not even sure that you would be allowed to continue being an Auror.”

“I. Don’t. Care,” Tonks said, making each word sound like one sentence. “And, I can still continue being an Auror… just not a paid one, necessarily.”

“Okay,” Remus said, sighing. “It obviously didn’t work. Are you sure that you’re positive about this, Tonks?”

“Remus, when have I ever not been positive about it?” Tonks asked. “Just kiss me and get it over with.” Her eyes sparkled mischievously as she looked up at him.

“Do you really think that I’ll kiss you when I’ve barely convinced myself at all of this?” Remus asked.

“Yes, I do,” Tonks said, and she leaned in and kissed Remus gently on the lips. After a few seconds, she pulled back. “I told you.” She smiled a bright smile.

“Okay,” Remus said. “I cannot believe I am about to say this, but, Tonks, I think I will get with you, if you want.”

“What do you think I’ve been so bloody depressed and angry over?” Tonks said, pulling Remus tightly into her arms. She was about to kiss him again, but Bill walked over.

“Oh, sorry to interrupt,” he said, smiling. “But, it’s time for dinner.”

“Okay, thanks Bill,” Remus said, standing up, grabbing Tonks’ hand in his and pulling her to her feet. “You go ahead; I need to speak with Bill.”

Tonks smiled and walked over to help Molly and Fleur serve, feeling better than she had in what felt like forever.

“I told you,” Bill said, as soon as she was gone. “Didn’t I tell you?” He was smirking, clearly enjoying having been right about Remus’ love life.

“Yes, I know,” Remus said. “And thank you. But, you can’t let anyone else know.”

“You may want to tell Tonks that,” Bill said.

“Do you think that she’ll go and tell everyone?” Remus asked, worried.

“No,” Bill answered. “But, I’d warn her anyway.”

“Alright,” Remus said, walking over to the table, joining Tonks. He leaned in close to her and whispered, “This is all a secret for the time being, okay?”

She nodded, wondering why he wouldn’t want to tell anyone; but, she was happy right now, the happiest she’d been in years, and so she didn’t question it. Instead, she just continued helping Molly and Fleur serve everyone else their meals.

Once everyone else was served, Tonks filled her plate and then went and sat over by Remus. He pulled the chair out for her.

“Thanks,” she said, smiling, quietly. Then, she turned to Ginny, who was sitting to her left and began talking to her, as well as transforming her nose at Ginny’s requests. Remus turned to his left, where Bill -Who else? Remus thought to himself- was sitting. He and his father were having a conversation concerning certain happenings that were going on at the Ministry in the past few weeks.

“Dad, is there really that much going on at the moment?” Bill asked, surveying Arthur.

“Yes, I’m afraid there is,” Arthur said. “After the Death Eaters managed to get through the Department of Mysteries, they’ve had every single person there working hard to ensure top protection. They’re even trying to find new Unspeakables, though I believe they are wrong in doing that. We’ve got plenty of great Unspeakables, and I can tell you, none of them gave anything away to the Death Eaters; they figured that out all by themselves, and with the help of You-Know-Who.” He sighed.

“So, they’re overworking you at the Ministry, are they Arthur?” Remus asked. He could see dark circles under Arthur’s eyes.

“Yes, Remus, I’m afraid that they are,” Arthur agreed. “And, they aren’t exactly paying anyone overtime at the moment, either, at least, not in my department.” He sighed again, exasperated.

“Why not, Dad?” Bill asked.

“According to the Ministry, they find that those of us protecting the Muggles don’t deserve any more pay than they earn, because their cause is for the Muggles and not the Wizarding World,” Arthur answered, rolling his eyes.

“Who said that?” Remus asked. “They are just as important as Wizards.”

“More than likely the same people who have made it hell for you to get a job,” Arthur said.

“That would make a lot of sense,” Remus replied wryly.

He looked up. The sky was beginning to darken. He saw Molly get up from the table, and go to the kitchen. She came back out seconds later, holding a large pie. She placed it on the table, and, with a flick of her wand, sliced it into ten perfectly even slices; with another flick, she sent them to the ten plates resting on the table.

Tonks tapped Remus on the shoulder. He looked over to her. “You realise you have pie on your nose, don’t you?” he asked, laughing.

“Oh, I do?” Tonks said, wiping the back of her hand across it. “Hmm, I guess I’m clumsy with my fork as well.” She smiled.

“It’s all over your teeth, too,” Remus said, laughing more.

“God, are you serious?” Tonks asked. “I can’t properly eat pie, I suppose; here, do you want it?”

“No,” Remus answered. “I’ve got my own pie, thanks.”

“Well, you still look like you could use some more,” Tonks said, but picked up her fork again and began shoveling her slice into her mouth. Remus rolled his eyes and picked up his own fork, beginning to eat his slice.

After fifteen minutes, everyone sat at the table, leaning back in their chairs, stuffed with Molly’s wonderful cooking. Fred and George were the first to go, saying something about having to get back to the shop, and working on new inventions. Remus then felt it was okay for him to leave as well, so he stood up and said, “Thank you for having me over, Molly. It was wonderful seeing all of you, but I have to be getting home now.”

“As do I,” Tonks said, standing up. She grabbed hers and Remus’ plates and walked to the kitchen; Remus followed her.

“Are you stalking me?” Tonks asked, turning around once they were in the kitchen, laughing. She placed the dishes in the sink, surprisingly carefully.

“Of course not,” Remus answered. “I just figure it’s time for me to leave.”

“Sure you do,” Tonks said. “I believe that about as much as I believe that Fred and George are innocent children.”

Remus laughed at the mere thought of Fred and George being that. He believed it to be impossible.

“Well, either way, I do believe that I was the first to say I was leaving, so I think that you would be the one stalking me.” He raised his eyebrows at her.

“Do I look like a stalker, Remus?” Tonks asked in a mock innocent voice.

“No, not really,” Remus answered. “You do, however, look like a danger to yourself.”

“How do you figure that?” Tonks asked skeptically.

“Because of how you refused to be sensible and listen to me,” Remus answered.

“I listen to my heart, not my head,” Tonks said, walking forward and pulling Remus into a hug; he kissed the top of her head, and she felt tingles run up and down her spine.

“I’m actually okay with that, at the moment,” Remus answered, kissing her again.

“Good,” Tonks said, relinquishing her hold on Remus and stepping back, looking up into his eyes. “Because I don’t think I’ve ever been happier than I am right now.”

“Neither have I,” Remus admitted, looking down at her.

Tonks laughed. “Did you, Remus John Lupin, just admit to full happiness? Did you just actually admit that this is the one time you’ve actually been overly happy?”

“Why, yes, Tonks, I do believe that I did,” Remus answered; he couldn’t help smiling.

They heard footsteps coming up to the doorway and immediately stepped apart, Tonks walking over to the sink and doing the dishes, Remus sitting down on a chair.

“As if you two weren’t just hugging,” Bill said as he walked through the door. Tonks flicked water in his direction, but it missed by a good two feet. “Oh, your aim is perfect,” Bill said, rolling his eyes. “Honestly, if you two want to keep this a secret, for one, you should choose to hug each other where others might not walk in on you, and for another, I heard the chair scraping back and the quick footsteps to the sink.” He crossed his arms and turned his head to the side, smirking.

“Um,” Tonks said, flicking water in his direction again. “Well, um-” CRASH She cut off; the plate she was holding in her hand had slipped and fallen to the floor. “Damn my clumsiness!” she hissed, bending down to pick it up.

“Are you a witch or not?” Remus asked, flicking his wand so that the plate repaired itself to normal.

“Yes,” Tonks said. “I just, um, forget that sometimes.”

“And you’re an Auror as well,” Bill said. “That must really come in handy, the times you forget.”

“Oh, come on,” Tonks said. “I don’t forget when I’m on Auror duty, as the wand is either held in my hand or in my back pocket.” She faced them fully. “But, don’t tell Mad-Eye that.”

“Why not?” Bill asked.

“Mad-Eye has a certain problem with wands in the back pockets of wizards and witches,” Tonks answered. “I suspect he’s had his buttocks blown off, as well as half his face. He wouldn’t answer me when I asked who he knew that lost a buttock.”

Remus and Bill both burst out laughing; Tonks stared at them, then began laughing as well. “Remind me to ask him that next time I see him,” Bill said.

“No!” Tonks said, gripping his arm. “I beg of you, don’t tell him. He’ll know I told you.”

“Tonks, no need to get so worked up about it,” Bill said, chuckling. “I’m not really going to ask him.”

“Oh, right,” Tonks said. “Well, I’m going to head on home, guys. It’s getting late, and I have to work tomorrow, so…”
She turned to Remus. “Care to walk me home?”

“Oh, sure, just ignore me,” Bill said, rolling his eyes.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Tonks replied. “Bill, do you want to walk me home, especially when you’ve got your Veela girlfriend sitting right outside?”

“No, why would I want to walk you home?” Bill answered. Tonks punched his arm, then turned back to Remus.

“Well?” she asked.

“Um, sure,” Remus answered. “But couldn’t you just Apparate there?”

“I could,” Tonks answered. “But, I don’t feel like it much.” She faced Bill. “Bye,” she said. “And, could you stop being such a pain?”

“No,” Bill answered. “I would if it was anyone else, but considering it’s you, I’m afraid I can’t.”

Tonks punched his arm again, then began walking out the front door; Remus followed her.

“Oh, I forgot, we have to Apparate to the street I live on though,” Tonks said. “I don’t know the way from here.”

“That’s fine,” Remus said; Tonks took his hand and turned on the spot, Disapparating to her street.

Seconds later, Tonks and Remus landed outside on a street dimly lit with street lamps. The latter tripped, forcing Remus to catch her before she hit the ground.

“You know, I do believe that I should just have my arms out ready to catch you whenever you’re around, in case you do trip,” Remus said, placing her on her feet.

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Tonks answered. “I wonder what I would do if I didn’t have you here to help me stay on my own two feet!”

“Probably injure yourself almost constantly,” Remus answered. “Thank goodness you are a witch, and are able to patch up noses and things like that pretty well.” He laughed, recalling when Tonks had broken his nose and fixed it.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Tonks replied. She slipped her hand into Remus’ and began walking.

“So, where exactly do you live?” Remus asked; they were in a neighborhood, and the houses were all rather tiny.

“I live right around the corner, in a flat,” Tonks answered.

“Oh, alright,” Remus said. Then, he remembered something. “I left my jacket at the Burrow.”

“Do you honestly think you need it, Remus?” Tonks asked. “It’s hot out here. I don’t even understand why you brought it in the first place; besides, you look much better with your sleeves rolled up like they are now, not with a jacket on.”

“Oh, I do?” Remus asked, pulling Tonks tightly to him. “Well, I think you look best with your hair pink and spiked, as it is now.”

“Are you sure that it’s like that now?” Tonks asked, placing her head against Remus’ chest as they continued walking, transfiguring her hair to a black with blue highlights waist length style.

“Well, it was two seconds ago,” Remus said, looking down at her. In the dim light, he saw what it looked like now. “Good God, Tonks. Turn it back to pink.”

“What?” she asked. “You don’t think I look beautiful with my hair like this?”

“I never said that,” Remus said.

“You implied it,” Tonks answered.

“I didn’t mean it,” Remus replied quietly. “I think you look beautiful anyway.”

“Ah, the admission of it!” Tonks said, laughing. “Well, what would you say if I was to change my features completely and you couldn’t even recognise me?”

“You mean like when you have a pig nose?” Remus asked, smiling. “I still think you look lovely then.”

“Fine,” Tonks said, and she concentrated hard, transfiguring her face. When she was done, her eyes had become slits, her nose extremely long, her ears lopsided and her lips overly large. “Still think I’m beautiful?”

“Absolutely,” Remus answered. “You’re beautiful on the inside, and that’s what matters.”

“Aw, I feel absolutely loved,” Tonks replied, returning her features to normal. She and Remus had reached the corner of the street and turned left now. “That’s my flat, right there,” Tonks said, pointing to a small white one; it was tiny, but Remus’ was even smaller than that.

They walked together over to her flat, Remus fingering his wand in his pocket in case someone decided to try and sneak up on them. Once they reached the door, Remus wrapped both arms around Tonks and kissed her lightly on the lips. “Goodnight, Tonks,” he said, pushing a lock of her “ again - pink hair behind her ear.

“Goodnight, Remus,” she replied, kissing his cheek and hugging him tightly to her. “And, you can call me Nymphadora,” she said into his shoulder, where her face rested.

“Well, then, goodnight Nymphadora,” Remus said, smiling. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye,” Tonks said, kissing him one last time swiftly on the lips. “And, Remus,” she said as she took out her wand and tapped the doorknob, unlocking it. “I do love you.”

“I do too, Nymphadora,” Remus answered.

Tonks smiled, so happy that she finally had Remus, and stepped inside her flat. The last thing she heard before she closed the door was a crack as Remus Disapparated from her doorstep.