Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Keeps Us Together (Sometimes Apart) by DontCallMeNymphadora

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, maybe the third times the charm... This chapter got rejected twice, the second time which didn't make any sense, because of a part of chapter seven that made one part true, and because of a Madam Pomfrey quote as well... Either way...

This one basically focuses on Remus and how he is coping with an unconcious Tonks in the Hogwarts Hospital Wing... Hope you enjoy it!!!

Please, read and review!
A shriek erupted from over by a bed as soon as Remus and Tonks landed in the Hospital Wing grate.

“Who goes there?” a scared female voice asked.

“Remus Lupin, with Nymphadora Tonks,” Remus answered, staying where he was. “We’ve come from the Ministry of Magic, where a battle has just taken place.”

Madam Pomfrey bustled over from a patient’s bed and gasped. “Professor Lupin, is that really you?” she asked.

“Yes,” Remus answered. “And, Kingsley Shacklebolt is on his way, too. He got hit with a curse, just like Nymphadora.”

Madam Pomfrey looked at Remus’ arms and gasped again. “Take her to a bed,” she commanded, just as Kingsley spun into view in the grate, with two of the kids, Hermione and Luna, both unconscious, held tight at his sides..

Remus took Tonks over to a bed by a large window. When he lay her down, the moonlight fell across her face, making it shine in beauty, even with the few scratches from her fall.

After he lay both Hermione and Luna on beds, Kingsley came over and asked, “Is she going to be okay?” He looked down at her.

“I don’t know,” Remus said, choking back a lump in his throat. “Madam Pomfrey hasn’t said anything yet.”

Kingsley looked down at her again. “Well, I do hope she is fine. She is too young for death, and-”

“Kingsley, get in that bed, immediately!” Madam Pomfrey hissed from where she stood, preparing some sort of potion.

Kingsley lay down in the bed beside Tonks’. Remus pulled up a chair and set it between the two, though nearer to Tonks’.

“Do you know what curse it is that Lestrange hit you with?” Remus asked once Kingsley was laying down.

“I’m really not sure,” Kingsley answered. “But, apparently it wasn’t that bad; I’m still able to walk and carry Tonks, aren’t I?”

Remus just shrugged. He looked over to Tonks again. She didn’t yet know of Sirius’ death, and he knew her heart would hurt so much once she found out. He reached out his hand slowly and pushed a strand of hair from over her closed eyes.

Madam Pomfrey bustled over at that moment. “Remus, do you know what it is that happened to Nymphadora?” She looked over to Kingsley. “Kingsley, do you know what happened to these two?” She gestured to her left, where two beds were now occupied by Hermione and Luna.

“I don’t know,” Remus said quietly. “I just know that we were there, and she was battling Bellatrix Lestrange. Bella’s curse struck her, and then she fell down the stairs.”

“And I don’t know what happened to Hermione or this young girl,” Kingsley answered. “I believe they were out before we got there.”

Madam Pomfrey went to the side of Tonks and grabbed her wrist. “Well, there’s a pulse there, that’s for sure,” she said. Then, she turned to Remus. “Why don’t you go ahead and go to an open bed? Get some rest. I don’t know what happened to her or Kingsley, but as soon as I know, I’ll tell you.”

Remus knew it was pretty pointless to argue with Madam Pomfrey, so he obeyed her and went to an unoccupied bed two spaces away from where Tonks was.

Madam Pomfrey began examining her, feeling for bruises and broken bones. Remus lay awake, knowing that, even if he wanted to, there was no way he would be able to sleep after the hellacious night he had just experienced.

Once Madam Pomfrey finished with Tonks, she went over to Hermione and Luna’s beds, and began examining them as she had Tonks.

Then, she went over to where Kingsley lay. She began examining him, all the while talking to him in hushed tones. After about five minutes, she took out her wand, conjuring up her patronus “ a hen “ and relaying a message to it.

“Kingsley Shacklebolt, Auror, will be arriving at Saint Mungo’s in a few moments via the Floo Network. He will need a bed in the spells ward.”

She sent the patronus to Saint Mungo’s next, then bustled back to Kingsley. “We’re going to take you up to the office of Dolores Umbridge, as that is the only grate not being monitored at the moment. Come on, up you get.”

She turned to where Remus lay. Seeing that he was awake, she went over to him and whispered, “Kingsley is going to Saint Mungo’s. They should be able to get rid of the curse. I need you to give that student over there her potion in a second; just one spoonful. After that, just keep an eye on her and Nymphadora until I am back.”

Remus nodded in response, saying, “Sure. Anything else?”

“No,” Madam Pomfrey said, then turned to Kingsley, motioning him forward. Then the two left the ward, and Remus slowly got up.

First, he went to Tonks’ bed, just to look at her for a second. Then, he turned away and walked over to the only other occupied bed in the ward, where a short, stocky figure of a girl lay. Remus picked up the potion off of her bedside table and grabbed the spoon beside it. He poured the potion into the spoon, then turned to face the girl. She, like the other occupants in this wing, was unconscious.

Carefully, Remus spooned the potion into her mouth, then set the bottle and spoon back onto her table. He then walked back to where Tonks lay and sat in the chair again. He grabbed her hand in his. It felt like it was broken. He ran his fingers lightly over her wrist, and then up her arm. Her entire arm seemed like it was broken.

Remus looked up to Tonks’ face. There were quite a few scratches on it, a few that were bleeding still. He looked on the bedside table and grabbed a tissue. Gently, he placed it on a cut along her cheek and dabbed at the blood. He did the same for the cuts on her forehead and lip, also the one on her neck.

When he finished, he threw the tissue into the trash bin beside the bed. He stroked her hair, gently pulling it back from her face. He leaned down and pressed his lips softly to her smooth cheek; her skin was so soft under his lips’ touch.

Then he heard footsteps coming from the hall. Quickly, he stood up and walked back over to his bed, reaching it just as the Hospital Wing doors were flung open.

Madam Pomfrey had arrived back, only this time, she wasn’t alone. Ginny Weasley, supported by Neville Longbottom, and Ron Weasley, laughing hysterically, and with odd-shaped scars running down his arms, face and neck, all walked in. They were followed by Moody, apparently not hurt badly from the battle, even though he had been defeated by Dolohov.

“Alastor,” Madam Pomfrey said, turning to Moody, “If you would kindly and cooperatively lay yourself on a bed and let me make sure that you-”

Moody cut her off, saying, “Madam Pomfrey, I am perfectly fine. I’ve been in worse patches of trouble than this. Don’t worry about me; it’s the kids who need attending to.”

He turned to Ginny and Neville, asking, “Are you kids going to be all right? Is Ron?”

Ginny nodded, then said, “We don’t know what happened to Ron though. Hopefully he’ll be fine.”

Moody nodded, then turned and walked out of the Hospital Wing.

“Mr. Longbottom,” Madam Pomfrey said, addressing Neville. “Could you please help Ms. Weasley over there, on the bed on the other side of Nymphadora, please?”

“She means Tonks,” Ginny said softly, “the girl with the blue hair.”

“Oh,” Neville said stuffily, then guided Ginny over to the bed Kingsley had occupied previously.

Neville then went to the bed next to Ginny, sitting down and doing nothing.

After Madam Pomfrey had settled Ron into the bed next to Luna, given him a sleeping potion and dabbed a potion over his wounds, she walked over to Neville.

“Let me see that nose,” she said. She took out her wand, murmured, ”Episkey!” and then used a scouring charm to clean up the blood. Then, she gave Neville a sleeping potion. “I want you to drink this, and you’ll have a peaceful, dreamless sleep.” Neville took it slowly out of her hand, then raised it to his lips.

Madam Pomfrey turned away and walked over to where Ginny lay. “What is it that happened to you, dear?” she asked.

“My ankle,” Ginny whispered. “I think it’s broken.”

“Ah, again with the broken bones,” Madam Pomfrey said. She took out her wand and mended Ginny’s ankle, then handed her the sleeping potion. Ginny took it gratefully, and gulped it down.

Next, Madam Pomfrey went over to Hermione. “Do you two know what happened to her?” she asked aloud. “Kingsley couldn’t tell us.”

“We don’t know,” Neville answered groggily. “The Death Eater used some sort of purple flame curse on her.”

“Okay,” Madam Pomfrey said, then went to where she kept her potions. She pulled one out and then poured some into a cup. She walked back over to Hermione, opening her mouth and tipping the potion carefully into it. In a few seconds, Hermione let out a shuddering breath, then began to breathe evenly again. “That should leave her knocked out for some time now,” Madam Pomfrey said, then bustled over to Luna.

“What happened to her?” she asked again.

Ginny answered this time. “She flew and hit a desk, then became unconscious. I’m not sure if she got a curse or not.”

Madam Pomfrey used her wand and ran it over Luna, almost like a metal detector. “No, she seems fine, just knocked out, apparently.” Still, Madam Pomfrey tipped a bit of the sleeping potion into her mouth, and her breathing became even again.

“Okay, that takes care of the kids,” she said, then walked over to where Tonks lay. She looked to Remus. “Was there any change with her while I was gone?”

“No,” Remus said. “But, I did notice that she might have a broken arm, from her hand on up to her shoulder, on the left side.”

“Yes, I realised that too,” Madam Pomfrey said. “She also has a broken rib, possibly two, and her ankle may be broken, as well. You said she was hit by a curse, too, didn’t you?”

Remus nodded.

“I think it is best if we just send her to Saint Mungo’s, also,” she said, thinking. She pulled out her wand again, and sent another patronus to Saint Mungo’s, this time about Tonks.

“Remus,” she said, once she had sent off the patronus. “Could you please carry her up to Dolores’ office for me? You may have to travel to Saint Mungo’s with her, I’m afraid.”

“Sure,” Remus said. Gently, he put an arm under Tonks’ knees and upper back, then lifted her up carefully.

“Alright, come on,” Madam Pomfrey said, then stopped. “Wait, you know where Dolores’ office is, don’t you? It is the same one you used two years ago. Do you need me to come with you, or can I stay with my patients?”

“I’ll manage,” Remus replied. He turned and pushed open the doors to the Hospital Wing, then stepped out into the moonlit hallway.

He walked down the eerily quiet halls, all the time thinking about Sirius and Tonks, his last remaining best friend, and the woman who he had unwillingly fallen in love with; the woman who’s heart he would soon have to break.