Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Frost of the Heart by HPfanMGD14

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Maybe I was a girl that didn’t have a future. I was just lost. Lost in the sermons that my Father had always gave me; living life differently than any of the other students. I was just Selene Medici. -- Selene Medici looking back to the past.
Disclaimer: I don't own the Potterverse, JK does!

Chapter: First visit to King’s Cross Station

Maybe I was a girl that didn’t have a future. I was just lost. Lost in the sermons that my Father had always gave me; living life differently than any of the other students. I was just Selene Medici.

I remember when I was just a rich Pureblood eleven-year-old girl that got accepted to a school of Wizardry called, Hogwarts. Father could not get his way into getting me in other “better” schools of Europe. All of them were clustered with students.

The first time that I had arrived at King’s Cross Station was when I was looking out my window and staring at the cloudy gray sky, wondering how I would fit in. The only people that I spoke with were some of my own cousins, my mother, and at times I spoke to myself.

My parents weren't the best couple, honestly. Mother was distant to my Father, but close to me. My Father, however, did not treat me like his daughter, but he did treat me like a decoration. He always polished me with orders and cold stares whenever I did something that he thought wrong.

True, I was back then an eleven-year-old girl with few places to go and not many decisions to make. Hence Father is the actual decision maker. I have no siblings and no friends. I was alone.

The car stopped with an abrupt step on the brakes. My Mom stared straight out the window, while my Father straightened his suit.

“Magdalene, stay here, I will take Selene to the train,” Father directed when opening the door.

I opened my door and stepped outside into the cool morning air of London. Shutting the door of the midnight black car, I started to see the odd world around me. People of different skin colors, clothes, faces, and expressions were walking in King’s Cross Station. This was the first time that I didn't just see all Purebloods. A violent breeze came by, so I hugged myself and fastened my coat.

“Selene, in,” Father ordered, holding my trunk. I nodded and followed him, staring at the floor all the way. Then when we were almost up to platform 10, I bumped into someone.

“Sorry!” I brought out in a hoarse voice. I looked up and saw an eleven-year-old girl with blazing red hair and sparkling green eyes.

“No, I’m sorry. I should have seen where I was going.” She smiled apologetically. I smiled a little, because my Father was watching the girl with disgust.

“Selene, get up, we have to get going,” Father hissed. I didn’t move.

“Did you not hear me, young lady? We have to get going, now.” He dragged me away from the red head, but I managed to wave goodbye to her.

After Father dragged me to the door of the train he sternly stared down at me.

“You must be obedient, Selene. You are a Pureblood and your behavior must be satisfactory. Do not talk to any Mudbloods or Blood-traitors," Father advised as he smoothed out the creases in his suit. "I am a School Governor and I will keep a close eye on you. If you fall in another house that is not Slytherin...I will...” His eyes narrowed to slits.

“...Burn you off the contract. Is that clear?” Father snarled. I nodded, wringing my hands.

“If I’m not there to keep an eye on you there will be the former sons of the Sirs that came to the Manor years ago, whom are in the house that you are to be in. Understood?” Father scowled. I nodded nervously. Which house was it again? Slithering?

“Good, now go in and find yourself a compartment. I will see you again next summer,” Father said, giving a brief smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes; those cold, frozen solid, never warm blue eyes.

I had inherited my grandmother’s hazel eyes. She was a Ravenclaw and was intermarried with a Slytherin. Well, it is not like I care about her; she's been dead for years. My cousin, Antoinette Burk, married a man called Patricio Parkinson. She wasn’t exactly a nice lady; she was pure evil and as all the other Purebloods of our family, a spoiled brat.

After Father gave me a feigned fatherly wave, I walked inside the train to start looking for an empty compartment. As I passed many, I noticed they were in groups. These groups were laughing, giggling, smiling, and happy. They were very bright groups. Those were some of the things I never had while living in a cold and sad Manor, because of my Father. My Mother always tried to make things better when Father was gone on business trips for the School Board.

On my way by, I found an almost empty compartment. There was a sandy-haired boy sitting alone entranced in a book. When I was about to open the door, a tall silvery blond haired boy stood in front of me.

“Medici, your Father told me to take you to the compartment that the purebloods are to stay at,” he ordered firmly. I had a feeling that he was a Pureblood, because he spoke with superiority and his nose was high in the air.

“I… er… Okay…” I looked up at him.

I was scared once I had noticed that the silvery blond haired boy had been Lucius Malfoy, a son of Mr. Abraxus Malfoy, whom always came by the manor to talk to my Father. They almost looked alike except for the eyes. Mr. Abraxus’ eyes were always warm and jolly. Lucius’ weren’t.

Lucius now turned around and seemed to be talking to himself. Wow, I guess I’m not the only one! I guess he was talking to himself because this was a particularly awkward moment. A tall fifteen year-old-looking boy intimidating an eleven-year-old girl that looked very pale and was afraid that the boy was going to hex her or something. Well, it didn’t last long.

That was when someone’s head popped out of a compartment door.

“Lucius, did you get Selene Medici?” The voice belonged to a silvery blond-haired girl.

Lucius quickly replied, “I’m working on it.”

The girl’s eyes flicked from Lucius to me. That was when her clean face showed concern and she came out of the compartment.

“Poor girl,” she tried to comfort me. She turned to Lucius sharply. “What did you do to her? She looks like she’s seen a ghost.”

Lucius looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “I did not do anything to her, Narcissa!”

Narcissa rolled her eyes. “Lucius, be quiet and just get in the compartment.” Then she turned to me. “Selene, is it?”

I nodded and she smiled warmly. “Don’t worry, I don’t bite. Come on to the compartment and Lucius will take in your trunk.”

I nodded mutely once again, because I didn’t have the courage to speak to people older than me. Then Lucius took my trunk carefully into the compartment the two of them were staying at. There were two other people inside as well. Twin siblings.

“Hello, who is this?” The girl twin asked curiously.

Lucius answered, “It is Selene Medici, the girl you were talking about earlier.”

“Really? She doesn’t look so much like Mousier Medici,” the boy twin pondered.

Narcissa rolled her eyes. “Of course she… no, she doesn’t.” She had noticed that I look more like my Mother. She smiled softly as she timidly brushed my hair back.

I felt a gigantic pit in my stomach. Never was I really comfortable with other people that were not my Mom. Narcissa suddenly stopped. She might have probably noticed how uncomfortable I felt. The twin siblings stared at me with interest.

“So, you are going to be a new addition to our house?” The girl twin questioned.

I stared. Yes, I just stared and it seemed to get on the girl’s nerves.

“Why won’t you speak? Are you a living rag doll or something?” The girl thundered.

Narcissa spat, “Stop it, Sarah. Remember that we owe each other respect.”

“Cissa, it’s not her fault. The girl just won’t speak!” The boy twin scowled.

Lucius was staring out the window, his right hand over his forehead as he whispered, “Please just stop talking, Brendan. This is bringing me an enormous headache.”

Narcissa had her lips pursed as she looked down at me and winked. I gave her a small smile and just then the train gave a great jolt and was moving on to our destination, Hogwarts.

~*~|*|~*~

Narcissa opened the compartment door just as the train stopped and outside the train window, the sky fumed darkly. It looked like it was going to rain.

“First years, first years this way!”

The voice was deep and it was coming from one of the exits of the train. Narcissa had told me about Hogwarts and the houses. Sarah kept talking about Slytherin and what good it would bring me after I would be sorted in it. Brendan said that it was my destiny and power was waiting for me at the end. I wouldn’t really want to tell them that I didn’t want power, fame, or glory like they did, but what if word got to my Father about what I said if I had told them?

I walked out of the train and followed a very peculiar trio that was made of a girl with flaming red hair, a girl with brown hair, and a sandy-haired boy. On the way I met more first years, but I didn’t speak at all. What use was there?

We stopped at a lake that was lined with small boats.

“Each one of these boats has space for only four people. If there are more than four the boat probably will flip over and I reckon that none of you would want to freeze in this mighty cold water, do you now?” The man asked. I could see his yellowish eyes laughing at us clearly.

“Alright then, get in ‘em or you won’t be passin’ over the lake,” The man grinned.

He had blond shaggy hair and yellowish eyes, but was protected from the cold by a long shabby coat and was dressed heavily with a large shirt and a baggy pair of pants.

Dear Merlin, of course I wanted to pass the lake! I followed the sandy-haired boy and asked at once, “May I sit with you in the boat?”

“I suppose you should. My name by the way is Remus Lupin.” The boy smiled warmly. I tried to smile back, but gave him a sloppy grin.

I never smiled or had a chance to smile in my home. It seems that my Father had put frost over me as well as our huge gray Manor.

“Nice to meet you, Remus Lupin, my name is Selene Medici,” I replied automatically once I had sat down in the slightly moving boat.

Remus looked thoughtful for a while, but then his face was clear.

“I think I have heard of the Medici family, but I can’t put my finger on it exactly...I think that they were in one of my textbooks in grade school...” Remus pondered.

I nodded as the flaming red-haired girl cleared her throat.

“My name is Lily Evans. I’m a Muggleborn,” She introduced herself.

“Oh-I am Selene Medici...” I gaped.

She was a Mudblood! She didn’t seem that bad though. Why was Father always saying that Muggleborns were filth? They were just plain people like us just from non-magical parents, I had concluded.

“Nice to meet you, Selene.” Lily smiled.

“My name is Alice Berming,” a round faced girl with dark brown curls introduced herself warmly, but her cheeks were red from the cold.

“You have a pretty name, Selene,” Alice added as she shivered. Violent winds were coming around, another sign of coming rain. I fastened my cloak around me a bit, but it was not helping the cold that slipped into my bone marrow.

“Yes, yours too, Alice,” I complimented, hugging myself like the other girls were.

“Can we leave now? This thing’s been rocking back and forth... What if it flips over?” Alice panicked, looking at us fearfully.

“Alice, it will not flip over. See, we’re leaving anytime now,” I assured her quietly.

“Ahead!” The man said after checking that everyone was inside the boats and that no one was left behind. He was sharing a boat with three boys in the center of the lake.

I noticed that one of the boys stared at the boat we were in and then looked away. He had untidy black hair and round black wire rimmed glasses. Right now I wasn’t worried about the boy that looked back at us, but about what might happen, even though later it would dawn me that he was cute.

Only one thought was in my head before we set foot on the other side of the lake.

Will I fall into Slytherin?

~*~|*|~*~
A/n: Please tell me what you think or in other words... comments, concerns, ideas (Thou shall be credited!), and reviews are encouraged. :]

In the meanwhile... I'll just keep writing. :D

~Meli