Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chances by Wendelin the Weirder

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is my first fic, so please tell me if I make any basic errors. Please review! Constructive criticism appreciated!
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to the mighty JK Rowling.

It was a chilly day at the Burrow. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were walking to the apple orchard that the Weasleys used as a Quidditch pitch. Harry and Ron had their brooms in hand; Hermione, a book.

“Are you sure you don’t want to have a go, Hermione?” asked Harry.

“Harry, you know I would rather read up on Horcruxes than play Quidditch!’

“Oh yeah, I forgot to ask you, have you got any ideas about where You-Know-Who has them?” asked Ron casually, though it was clear he was very tense about it.

“Not yet,” sighed Hermione.

“You’ll find something soon, I know it!” said Harry, in a toned of forced cheerfulness.

“Yeah, well…”

Hermione looked at her friends. Harry had a look of resigned determination on his face, like he just wanted to get it over with. Ron just looked plain tense. She was scared herself. The thought of tracking down and destroying parts of one of the most powerful wizards of all time’s soul was terrifying. But she was not going to back out, whatever Harry might say about not wanting her and Ron to get hurt, he needed them, and they were coming.

A crack came from behind them. They spun around, whipped their wands out and looked for the source of the noise. Hermione thought she saw a piece of cloth whip behind a tree, but a second later, she was sure she had imagined it.

“H-Hello?” she called nervously.

No answer.

Hermione looked back at Harry and Ron. They exchanged confused glances. Harry started to walk toward the tree.

“Harry- no!” moaned Hermione. “Don’t! What if it’s a Death Eater?”

“Harry, mate, let Hermione and me go and check it out,” whispered Ron. “You stay here.”

“Ron! That could be what they want us to do! We leave Harry alone, and they grab him!”

“What other choice do we have?”

Hermione bit her lip. She thought she knew what she had to do.

“Ron, you stay here with Harry and I’ll go and check out the noise. That way, if-“

“No way!” Ron hissed furiously. “You’re not going alone!”

“Ron- I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself!”

“Hermione,” interrupted Harry. “You know we can’t take any chances, so-“

“Exactly- you can’t so-“

“No, I said we. These are Death Eaters that wouldn’t hesitate to kill any of us!”

“I know that- I’m just saying you are in more danger than Ron or I am, so-“

“So we stick together!” hissed Ron. Hermione glared at him.

“But that way if we were attacked, we all would be captured!”

“No one is going to be captured!” snapped Ron.

“We might be! But if you or I got captured, they would want to keep us alive as bait for Harry, wouldn’t they?”

“Oh yeah, real pleasant idea to think about!” retorted Harry. “’They would want to keep us as bait’ that makes me feel really good doesn’t it?”

“Both of you drop it!!” whispered Hermione. “While you’re here arguing with me, whatever made that noise could be escaping! Harry, Ron, if I stays within eyesight, you will be able to see if I am attacked and can help me! Now let’s not waste any more time!”

She spun around, ignoring the further protests from Harry and Ron. Hermione cautiously crept forward. She couldn’t see anything. She looked around the tree. Nothing.
“Nothing!” she cried, turning around. Hermione saw Harry and Ron exchange glances.

“Okay, well I guess it could have been a squirrel or something,” said Harry, looking relieved.

“Well, time is a-wasting, let’s go play Quidditch!” said Ron, turning back onto the path. Harry followed.

Hermione glanced back at the trees. She was worried that they gave up too quickly and should have looked harder. Harry and Ron were already a ways away, though, so she quickly caught up with them, but couldn’t shake the feeling that they were being watched.