Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hogwarts Houses Divided by Inverarity

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Teddy comes to the rescue, but they can't all escape the goblins. Will the Aurors arrive in time, or are Teddy and his friends on their own?

Who's Going to Rescue Us?

The Gryffindor and three Hufflepuffs made their way through a dark warren of tunnels, with no idea where they were going. Fear kept them moving; the occasional echoes of goblin voices speaking Gobbledegook spurred them on whenever they felt like stopping to catch their breaths. Dewey had tried to backtrack the way they'd been brought, but after the first time they had to duck down another tunnel because they heard goblins ahead, they became hopelessly lost. Now, all they could do was keep moving and hope for a miracle.

A sunlit exit would be nice,” Dewey thought grimly, but no such luck so far. Indeed, they seemed to have moved deeper underground; the tunnels they were moving through now were cut through stone, rather than dirt, and lit more sporadically by those mysterious blue glow-lights. They rounded a corner and then immediately darted back into the shadows. A bored-looking goblin was pacing in front of a round wooden door, sunk into the stone wall.

Chloe also leaned against the rock wall behind her, and closed her eyes. The sword she was carrying was heavy, and she kept having to switch it from one hand to the other as her arms got tired. Dewey thought, not for the first time, that maybe he should suggest that he carry the sword. He was bigger and stronger, after all.

But it was the Sword of Gryffindor, and Chloe was a Gryffindor.

All the girls' faces were tear-streaked, and Mercy and Sung-Hee's shoulders were shaking. Dewey occasionally put an arm around one of the Hufflepuff girls, trying to lend them encouragement, but he was running low on it himself.

He leaned around the corner again, looking down the tunnel, and after watching a few minutes, withdrew and huddled with the girls.

“He's walking up and down, like he's guarding something,” he murmured. “Maybe there are more kids behind the door.”

“Then we should try to rescue them,” Chloe whispered.

“Rescue them? Who's going to rescue us?” Mercy whispered back.

Dewey squeezed Mercy's hand. “How, Chloe? Do you really think you can kill another goblin?”

Chloe shuddered.

Mercy took a deep breath. “I'm sorry, you're right,” she whispered. “We can't leave them there.”

“Maybe nothing is behind door,” Sung-Hee whispered.

“There must be something behind it,” Dewey muttered.

The four of them sat crouching in the tunnel for a moment. They suddenly heard a loud crack, followed by a thud, followed by a shuffling sound. They looked at each other fearfully. Dewey leaned around the corner, peeked down the tunnel again, and withdrew his head quickly. At their questioning looks, he shrugged. “Can't see the goblin right now,” he whispered. “Must be down the other end of the tunnel.”

They were all silent, then Chloe said, “We have to.”

“Have to what?” Dewey asked, feeling icy fingers clutching at his heart.

“You know what.”

He looked at her. Chloe's eyes were large, in the faint light cast by a small blue-white stick ten feet behind him, and no less frightened than they had been before, but her expression was very serious.

“Are you sure?” he asked. The icy fingers were spreading to his stomach. He was afraid he might be sick.

She swallowed, and nodded.

“What... what are you talking about?” Mercy whispered.

“There's only one goblin down that tunnel,” Dewey muttered. “At least, only one we saw.” He took a deep breath. “If we can bring him 'round this corner...”

Mercy stared at Dewey, then at Chloe. She covered her face with her hands and shook her head.

“Shh,” Dewey murmured, and gently, he guided her over to sit with Sung-Hee behind where Chloe was standing. He stood up, and looked at Chloe, then looked down at the gun he'd tucked into his belt. He took it out.

“It'll be better if we can do it with the sword,” he whispered, remembering the loud noise the Muggle weapon had made.

Chloe nodded.

“I'll try to... to lure him,” Dewey said. “And pray he doesn't call for more goblins. When he comes 'round the corner...”

Chloe nodded again, shaking a little.

“I'll have the... fire-arm ready, just in case. Or... Chloe, maybe I should have the sword, and you should have the fire-arm. You know how they work.”

She shook her head. “Only from TV.”

“Teevee. Right.” He looked at the ugly metal thing in his hand again. “You just point it, and pull this little metal latch, right?”

“I think so,” she whispered.

Dewey reached for the Sorting Hat on Chloe's head, and took it off. “We need your help, hat,” said Dewey.

“Sorting and singing are my only talents, I'm afraid,” sighed the hat.

“Singing will do, if you can get that goblin over here.”

“Ah, I see,” the hat murmured. “Bad business, this, bad business indeed.”

“Will you help or not?”

“Very well, Mr. Diggory.” The hat sounded mournful. Dewey leaned around the corner, waited until he saw the goblin's shadow cast against the tunnel wall, advancing again in their direction, and then he set the hat down right at the juncture of the tunnel they were hiding in and the one the goblin was shuffling up and down. He stood back, moved across the tunnel from Chloe, and held the gun out with both hands, pointing it at where he thought the goblin would appear. His hands were shaking, making the barrel of the gun wobble up and down. Chloe was breathing in and out very rapidly, and held the sword up, ready to swing at the first thing that came around the corner.

Sitting there looking like little more than a shadow itself, the Sorting Hat began to sing:

Oh, once I was a new hat,
my seams were neat and tight;
my brim was stiff, my crown was high;
my band was clean and bright.
Now you may think, in the shape I'm in,
I'm quite a sorry hat;
I'm dirty and I'm threadbare,
and upon me some have sat.
But so long as my beloved school,
endures down through the years,
I'll sit upon the heads of those,
who'll still lend me their ears!

They heard footsteps running down the stone corridor, and saw the shadow of the goblin falling across the hat. Mercy and Sung-Hee both buried their faces in their hands. Chloe closed her eyes, and swung the sword in a mighty arc.

The goblin bent over, to pick up the hat, and the Sword of Gryffindor swished over its head, striking the stone bend in the tunnel with a loud Klang! and a shower of sparks.

“What?” exclaimed the goblin, standing up. Chloe screamed in panic, and using the momentum of the sword's rebound off the rock, she heaved her body all the way around in a circle and slashed at the goblin again, holding the sword out at arm's length. Dewey was pointing the gun, but Chloe and the goblin were both shadowy figures, much too close together.

The goblin yelped and held up a spear. The sword bit into the shaft and chopped it in half, and the goblin threw himself backwards, landing on the hat. Chloe kept yelling, as the weight of the sword spun her all the way around again, and then she held it up over her head, as the goblin screamed, “CHLOE! STOP! IT'S ME, TEDDY!”

“Teddy?” Chloe gasped, and stumbled, and almost dropped the sword. The goblin's face suddenly morphed into that of Teddy Lupin, and Chloe collapsed to her knees. “Teddy!”

She began sobbing, while Dewey lowered the gun and stared, and Mercy and Sung-Hee removed their hands from their faces and looked up in shock.

Teddy put his arms around Chloe. “Chloe! Shh!”

“How – what –?” Dewey just stood there, shaking his head.

Then more goblins rounded the bend in the tunnel down which Chloe and the Hufflepuffs had come. Mercy and Sung-Hee screamed, and Dewey raised the gun and pulled the trigger. There was a bang and a flash of light, and the sound of something skittering and ricocheting off of stone. The goblins squawked and scattered, as Dewey jerked the trigger again, and sent more sparks and stone chips flying. The recoil almost made him drop the gun, and Teddy yelled, “Run!”

Dewey paused for a split-second to snatch up the Sorting Hat, which was now even more crumpled than before, and then they ran up the tunnel Teddy had just come down, passing the wooden door.

They reached another branch, and a hole in the tunnel wall that didn't have a door sealing it. “Get in there!” Teddy said.

“What? We'll be trapped!” Chloe squeaked.

“Do it! Trust me! Mind the goblin!” He gave her a shove, and grabbed Dewey's arm to guide him after her. Dewey stammered, then followed, and so did Mercy and Sung-Hee.

It was a room of some kind, carved into the subterranean rock, and it smelled bad, like rotting garbage. Chloe had tripped over an unconscious body lying just past the entrance, and was trying to hold back tears as she realized she'd fallen into a rubbish heap. Dewey stumbled and nearly fell on top of her, and then all four of them became very still as the goblins pursuing them caught up to Teddy.

“That way!” Teddy yelled, and led the pursuing goblins down the tunnel they had just left.

Chloe and the Hufflepuffs waited in the darkness, trembling, until they heard footsteps returning.

“It's me!” they heard Teddy whisper again. “Don't try to cut my head off!”

Dewey almost laughed. They emerged from the refuse chamber, and Teddy, looking like a goblin again, said, “They spread out. Don't know how long until they come back.”

“Please tell me help is on the way,” said Dewey.

“You're looking at it,” said Teddy.

They all stared at him.

Teddy looked around. “Golly!” he whispered. With a crack, a house-elf appeared next to him, and almost fell over.

“Any kids in that room?” he asked, catching the elf gently.

The house-elf shook her head sadly. “No, Teddy Lupin. There is only more paper sacks and wooden boxes.”

Teddy hissed a curse in frustration. Dewey almost felt faint. They'd been about to kill a goblin for sacks and boxes?

“They were helping the goblins!” said Chloe shrilly, pointing her sword at the house-elf. Teddy shielded Golly with his body. “Chloe, stop! They're on our side now!” He stared at her sword. “How did you get that?”

“It's the Sword of Gryffindor,” she said.

“How –?”

“Teddy,” Dewey whispered. “How do we get out of here?”

“Oh. Right.” Teddy looked down at the elf. Golly blinked up at him, but he could see she was in even worse shape than he was.

“Golly,” he whispered, “I hate to ask this – can you, can you take them back to the exit, and get them past those sacks?”

“Sacks?” Dewey frowned, puzzled, but Golly shook her head. “Golly is sorry, Teddy Lupin!” she said. “But Golly can't... can't carry more childrens, Golly is so weak...” Tears spilled out of her eyes, and Teddy shook his head. “It's all right. You've done brilliantly, Golly.” But his heart sank. He might be able to sneak back out, disguised as a goblin, but how could he get four other kids out? How could he tell them to stay here and wait for him to go get the Aurors? Had Harry even arrived at Hogwarts yet? Surely by now they knew what was happening?

“Golly can't carry childrens,” Golly repeated, “but Teazle, Lolo, and Griffy can.”

“What?” Teddy's face lit up again. “That's brilliant! The other three freed elves! Can you bring them here –?” And then his face fell. Three elves... and four kids.

“Golly thinks she can fetch them, Teddy Lupin. But Golly might not come back,” the free elf whispered.

“No, wait!” Teddy said, and then Golly disappeared with a crack.

“Can you please explain what's going on?” Dewey asked, in a whisper. The tunnel they were squatting in was still dark and empty, but they could hear goblins, lots of them, elsewhere in the underground labyrinth. They heard boots tromping on stone, distantly but not distantly enough, and angry voices yelling in Gobbledegook. By now they must have discovered Bagrim's body. As pleased as he was to see Teddy, Dewey couldn't see how any of them were going to get out of this.


Nagaeena was sitting under a tree – hiding, actually – while Violet walked slowly up and down the hillside, peering across the lake to study the castle, the Quidditch pitch, and the forest beyond.

“Would you please get back here, and stop standing out there in the open?” Nagaeena demanded.

Violet ignored her. Stephen was flying in a wide, lazy circle around the castle, cruising over the edges of the Forbidden Forest as well, trying to get a sense of what was going on. He was staying high in the air, and so far, they hadn't heard any more bangs and pops from goblins shooting their Muggle weapons at him. Violet didn't know what they might learn, but at least pretending they were doing something was better than shivering on a hillside in the rain, waiting for some grown-ups to show up.

It was the only thing she could do to keep her mind off of Kai. Or Teddy, who she knew was undoubtedly doing something very brave and utterly stupid right this very moment. Or Dewey, who probably hadn't been lucky enough to escape like she had.

She suddenly heard pops and bangs, and then, a much louder noise. Nagaeena sprang to her feet as Violet stared across the lake at the Quidditch pitch. Mist was swirling over the lake, but they could see flashes of light and then flames.

Violet looked up, to see Stephen descending towards the pitch. She turned and exchanged a confused, frightened look with Nagaeena. Neither of them had any idea what was happening, but it appeared something was burning over there. They couldn't see Stephen on his broom for several long minutes.

Then, shapes appeared in the mist over the lake, coming from the direction of the Quidditch pitch, and resolved themselves into not one figure on a broom, but a dozen. Violet gasped, as she saw Stephen leading Ophilia and Hugh and the rest of the Slytherin Quidditch team to their hillside. Professor Sinistra was riding on the back of Hugh's broom, clinging to his broad shoulders with her eyes squeezed shut.

Nagaeena came running out from the trees, to stare at the older Slytherins as they swooped down and hovered around them.

“What –?” Violet was almost speechless.

“Get on,” Ophilia said curtly, gesturing at the back of her broom. Violet obeyed, climbing aboard the broom and holding onto the Prefect. Nagaeena hesitated, then walked over to Stephen and climbed onto his broom, putting her arms around his waist.

“Where have you guys been?” Violet asked.

“Tied up,” grunted Jonathan Madscarf.

“Now let's go thank your cousin for helping free them,” Ophilia said. And they began flying back towards the castle.

“Wait – the goblins!” Nagaeena cried, dismayed.

“They've cleared out of the castle,” said Ophilia. Violet realized with alarm that she was holding up Teddy's Marauder's Map.

“How did you get that?” she demanded.

“Lupin lent it to me,” Ophilia replied smoothly, tucking something else back into her sleeve. “When I said I needed to rescue the Slytherins being held captive at the Quidditch pitch.”

“And he didn't try to go with you?” Violet asked, surprised.

“He tried. I talked him out of it. As you can see, Professor Sinistra and I managed quite well on our own.”

Violet was less impressed by Ophilia's rescue than she was by her ability to talk Teddy into behaving sensibly. She'd have to find out how she did that. She felt more relieved than she wanted to admit, knowing that for once her Gryffindor cousin wasn't running off getting into danger over his head.


Three house-elves appeared with a single loud pop, making everyone but Teddy jump. He looked down at them and asked, “Golly?”

“Golly is spent herself,” said one of the elves. “She could not come back, Teddy Lupin. She feels very, very horribly.”

“She shouldn't!” Teddy said fiercely. “She's the bravest elf I've ever met! Umm, you three too.” He looked at them. “Can you take all four of them back to the castle from here?”

The elves looked up at the children.

“One child is going to be very, very hard for one elf,” said the first elf apologetically. “We has never even done it. It is going to be... uncomfortable.”

“We thinks if we tries to carry more than one...” All of the elves shuddered. Teddy remembered that feeling of being squished through a straw, and shuddered himself.

“And... will you be able to return to get the last one?” he asked hoarsely.

They looked at each other, blinked slowly, and gulped.

“We can try, Teddy Lupin,” said one.

“But we thinks like Golly, if we comes back, we is not going to be able to disappears anywhere again.”

Teddy looked at Dewey. Dewey looked at Teddy. They both looked at Chloe, Mercy, and Sung-Hee.

“Take the girls,” they said together.

“Wait a minute,” said Chloe.

“What about you, Dewey?” asked Mercy.

“Teddy and I...” Dewey swallowed. “We'll get out somehow.”

“We can't leave you!” Mercy gasped.

“No, no,” Sung-Hee said, shaking her head.

They heard goblin voices echoing up the tunnel – much closer. Everyone turned pale.

“We can't argue about this!” whispered Teddy. “Teazle, Griffy, Lolo –”

“Take the Hufflepuffs!” whispered Chloe.

“What?” everyone exclaimed.

Chloe pointed her sword at the nearest house-elf. “Stay away from me! Take them!” She pointed at the Hufflepuffs.

“Chloe,” Teddy stammered, on the verge of panic. “This is stupid!”

“You don't have anything to prove!” Dewey said.

“Stop trying to be brave,” Teddy said, wondering why this conversation was suddenly feeling very surreal.

And then they saw goblins.

“Go!” Teddy and Chloe said at the same time. Dewey, Mercy, and Sung-Hee gave them frightened, despairing looks, as the three house-elves clutched their hands, and they all disappeared as if yanked out of the air.

Chloe thrust the Sword of Gryffindor into Teddy's hands, and then goblins were swarming around them, grabbing Chloe, and jabbering at Teddy in Gobbledegook. Chloe's eyes were wide and terrified, but she said nothing as goblins jerked her arms behind her back and tied her hands. Teddy wanted to shout at them, to tell them to let go of her, to stop twisting her arms. For one lunatic moment, he saw himself whirling the sword around like he was Godric Gryffindor, cutting down all the goblins and fleeing with Chloe.

But the sword was heavy, and he was tired and dizzy and sore, and there were at least eight goblins, all of them armed. It was an insane thought. He saw Chloe staring at him, and as if she could read his mind, she shook her head, before the goblins jerked her forward.

Teddy realized with a start that other goblins were still talking to him. He blinked, and croaked, “Where are y – we, taking her?”

One of the goblins said, “Slipfang wants her. Where are the others?”

Teddy looked at the goblin who was speaking. “I don't know.”

The goblin grunted. “Well, we'll find them.” Some of the goblins ran off down each of the two tunnels branching away from their erstwhile hiding place. “Come.” The remaining goblins were dragging Chloe away, and as Teddy followed them, the goblin who'd been speaking gave him a sidelong glance. “That's a very fine sword you have. You know, I don't really trust a goblin who doesn't speak Gobbledegook. It means your family has spent too much time among humans.” His voice was contemptuous. The goblins around him grunted their agreement.

Teddy felt himself sweating, under his helmet. He swallowed, and looked back at the other goblin.

“I captured the girl, didn't I? So shove it!”

The goblin stared at him, and then all of the goblins laughed.

“Shove it!” they repeated, as if Teddy had made a very funny joke.

Teddy didn't take his eyes off of the back of Chloe's head, watching the greenish tint that the blue lights gave her hair as she was led forward, deeper into the stone tunnels, and Teddy and the other goblins followed.


“That... was awful,” Dewey groaned. He hadn't quite thrown up, but he spent several minutes during which it felt like he was trying to force his stomach back down his throat.

“Teddy... Chloe...” Mercy groaned, and that put things back in perspective. Dewey lifted his head, and realized they were lying on the floor of the Great Hall.

“Are you all right?” He rolled over, and saw Mercy and Sung-Hee, both looking like he felt.

The three house-elves were trying to drag themselves to their feet. Lolo swayed, and fell back down.

“Can you... can you go back and get them?” Dewey hated himself for asking. The elves looked at him, and tears oozed from their eyes.

“No,” said Griffy, in a very small voice.

“Not now,” said a tearful Teazle.

“If we tries, we might not bring all of them back,” said Griffy.

“Might not bring –?” Dewey's voice trailed off, and then he did throw up.

“My God,” someone said. With his face against the floor, Dewey saw black boots, and he looked up, to see six men and three women in heavy cloaks over thick leather vests, wands held at the ready in gloved hands.

“Davis and Irvine, check everyone here in the hall. McIlvernock, find the Headmistress. Young, find Filch and Sinistra. Roberts, check the infirmary. I think we're going to need Pomfrey's help. MacDougal, start tracing every student not in the castle, and Jones, get those wards back up.”

As the other Aurors moved to obey, Harry Potter knelt next to Dewey and put a hand on his shoulder. He waved his wand quickly to clean up where Dewey had been sick, then asked gently, “How is it that you're awake, Dewey?” He looked at the house-elves, who had finally regained their feet and were looking up at Potter with awe and apprehension.

“Mr. Potter,” Dewey choked. “We escaped. But Teddy and Chloe, they're still down there. With the goblins.”

Harry grew very still. He sucked in a breath, then slowly reached for the gun that Dewey had dropped. He picked it up, then reached for the Sorting Hat, sitting on the floor next to the gun, squashed and dirtier than usual.

“You've seen better days,” he said.

“Indeed I have, Potter,” the hat rasped, with a chuckle.

Harry stood up, still holding the hat and gun. He offered a hand up to Dewey. Next to him was a man Dewey recognized from Teddy's birthday party, one of his uncles. Ron Weasley was helping the girls to their feet as well. “Sit down and wait for Madam Pomfrey or one of the healers to check you over,” he said, firmly but not unkindly. “Don't go anywhere, now.”

There was another commotion at the entrance to the hall. Harry and Ron and two of the other Aurors whirled around, and raised their wands.

“Hex not!” exclaimed a fierce-looking brown-skinned girl carrying a broom, raising her hands. Harry didn't recognize her, or any of the kids carrying brooms behind her, but he did recognize the smaller girl at her side. Dewey was startled at the sight of Ophilia, Violet, and the Slytherin Quidditch team. Then came Professor Sinistra, holding onto Hugh Truncher's arm and looking a bit unsteady.

“Professor Sinistra! Violet!” Harry strode rapidly over, to face the Slytherins now entering the Great Hall. Ghosts were now drifting into the hall as well, drawn by the noise.

“Where were you all when the goblins attacked?” he asked, in as calm a tone as possible.

“Most of them were at the Quidditch pitch, practicing,” Ophilia replied. “The goblins took them hostage. We set them free.” She held her head up. “The goblins left some explosive paper bags. Professor Sinistra and I managed to undo the curses put on those in the locker room, but some others exploded. The pitch is on fire.”

“Paper bags?” frowned Ron.

“With printing,” added Ophilia. “They looked...” She wrinkled her nose. “Well, Muggleish. I didn't stop to read them.”

“There are more such sacks down below,” said Nearly Headless Nick. “The goblins piled them up in the tunnel. A barricade of some sort, it would seem.”

“Undisturbed,” hissed the Bloody Baron.

“Yes, I'm not sure exactly how Teddy got past them.”

Harry stared at the Gryffindor house ghost, as Violet blanched.

“You let Teddy go down there?” he snapped, nearly losing his temper for the first time since he'd arrived. “You knew he was going to follow after the goblins, and you did nothing about it?”

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Porpington looked highly affronted.

“Harry,” he said, raising his head to the extent that he could without dislodging it. “What exactly would you suggest that I should have done? It can be quite difficult to prevent young Mister Lupin from doing anything!”

Violet wanted to laugh, except that the urge to cry was nearly as strong. And she wanted to do both at once when she saw Dewey, Mercy, and Sung-Hee sitting at the end of the Hufflepuff table. She ran over to them, while Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley continued talking to Ophilia, Professor Sinistra, and the ghosts.

“Violet!” Dewey exclaimed. He sprang up, looking delighted, but it was Mercy who grabbed her in an embrace.

“Oh, Violet, you're all right!” she cried.

“Er, yes,” Violet mumbled. She could feel the eyes of all the other Slytherins on her, while the Hufflepuff girl squeezed her. “What happened to Teddy?”

Mercy let go, and her eyes filled with tears. “He's still down there,” she said.

“With Chloe,” said Dewey grimly. “We didn't want to leave them. We had no choice.” He looked anguished. Violet saw the house-elves, now, and her eyes narrowed, but then they were all distracted again by Harry Potter striding to the exit of the Great Hall.

“I want to take a look at these paper sacks,” he said, with a grim expression. “Ron, Jones, come with me. Hat, would you mind telling me your tale?”

Ophilia walked over to join Violet, as the Aurors disappeared downstairs.

“It seems your cousin didn't stay put after all,” she said.

“It seems not,” Violet muttered. She held out her hand. “Give me back his map.”

Ophilia raised an eyebrow. Violet met the Prefect's stare. After a moment, Ophilia's lips curled slightly, and she handed the Marauder's Map to Violet.

Violet walked to a table and sat down. Ophilia began talking to Hugh. The Hufflepuffs sat back down with Violet, but Dewey seemed to be trying to comfort Mercy and Sung-Hee. They were all crying, now, even Dewey. Violet didn't blame them. She wanted to cry herself, but she couldn't see how it would help anyone, so she stared at the blank parchment instead.

The Slytherins were milling about, uncertain what to do, while Professor Sinistra joined the Aurors who were checking each unconscious student and teacher, moving them to more comfortable positions. Alfred Cattermole and Colin Hayes arrived in the Great Hall, looking excited, then became confused at the sight of the Slytherin Quidditch team.

“Stephen,” said Violet. She gestured, and the other boy walked over to her.

“Let me borrow your wand,” she demanded.

Stephen stared at her. Violet knew this was no small request, but right now, she didn't care about propriety. She didn't look at Stephen, just held out her hand peremptorily. After a moment, Stephen handed it to her.

“What are you doing?” asked Dewey.

“Trying to be something other than useless.” Dewey flinched at the bitterness in Violet's voice, and opened his mouth to say something, but she wasn't paying him any attention. She held the wand over the Marauder's Map, and said, “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”


The tunnels had been nearly vacant where he'd found Chloe and the Hufflepuffs, but as Teddy followed the goblins and Chloe deeper into their underground labyrinth, the blueish lights became more numerous, and so did goblins. Here and there were torches, but for the most part, illumination was provided by the glowing sticks. They passed more lighted tunnels, and more chambers with goblins inside, engaged in a variety of activities. Teddy saw wounded goblins, and goblins carrying boxes marked “Danger: Explosive Materials!” or “Ammunition,” with numbers on them. He saw more goblins carrying Muggle firearms. He didn't know how many goblins were down here, but it was a large number. Far too many to fight, or sneak past.

He had no idea where they were, now, relative to the surface, or how far they'd gone. He wasn't sure he could ever find his way out.

They came at last to a very large chamber, much larger than the others Teddy had seen. This one contained stalactites and stalagmites, against which some goblins were leaning, so it was apparently a natural cavern, as opposed to most of the tunnels and holes that Teddy was pretty sure the goblins had excavated themselves.

In the center of the room, he saw Slipfang, and then his heart went to his mouth, as he saw Deana Forte, Aisha Allouzi, and the McCormack twins, sitting on the ground with ropes binding their arms behind their backs. There were at least half a dozen goblins standing around them, all carrying weapons, and many more between them and the several exits Teddy saw out of this cavern.

Teddy also saw house-elves. About half a dozen, all of them standing about near Slipfang. Most looked sullen or dejected, though one was watching the four children alertly, and another was practically following at Slipfang's heels and wore an adoring expression.

Slipfang looked angry. He was yelling and gesticulating at the other goblins, but Teddy couldn't understand a word; it was all Gobbledegook. Then the goblins Teddy was walking with thrust Chloe forward, and Slipfang stopped shouting and stared at her.

Another Gobbledegook conversation followed, with the goblin Teddy had told to “Shove it!” pointing at him several times.

Slipfang walked over to Chloe, and stared into her eyes. She cringed away from him. Slipfang snorted, and then walked over to Teddy. He put his face right up to Teddy's and grimaced. Teddy tried not to flinch, and just stared back at him. He thought Slipfang must be able to hear his heart pounding, it seemed so loud. He could almost feel that sharp, stabbing pain in his side, and for a moment had to fight the compulsion to look down, where he was sure Slipfang must be about to stick a knife into him.

“Good for catching the girl,” Slipfang said. “What's your name?”

Teddy stammered a moment. “Grip...rock,” he said. “Griprock.”

Slipfang frowned. “What sort of name is that for a goblin?” He shook his head, and said something in Gobbledegook. The other goblins laughed. Teddy sweated.

Slipfang's eyes went down to the sword in Teddy's hands, and widened slightly, before narrowing.

“Where did you get this sword?” he hissed.

Teddy swallowed. What was he supposed to say? Did Slipfang recognize the sword? Would he believe him if he said it belonged to him?

“It's mine,” he said.

“Yours?” repeated Slipfang.

“Mine!” repeated Teddy firmly.

Slipfang considered a moment. “You took it from the girl, didn't you?”

All of the goblins were watching him. So was Chloe, and the other kids, but he didn't dare look in their direction.

“Er, yes?” That didn't come out sounding nearly as certain as he'd intended.

Slipfang nodded. “Very well. By rights, it's yours until you die... or choose to gift it to someone else.” He seemed to pause a moment, leaving Teddy once again sweating, as he tried to figure out what was expected of him. After another very long, tense moment, Slipfang shook his head and turned his back on him, walking over to Chloe.

“How did you get that sword?” he demanded. “You killed Bagrim with it. Where were you hiding it?”

Chloe just stared at him.

“Answer me, girl!” Slipfang snarled, and cuffed Chloe across the face. She stumbled and fell, and Teddy almost lunged forward. The other goblins looked at him oddly, and he forced himself to stay where he was, with his hands trembling as he gripped the sword.

Slipfang dragged Chloe to her knees.

“The hat!” she cried out. “The Sorting Hat gave it to me!”

“The hat?” Slipfang scowled. “Don't tell me ridiculous tales, girl!” He raised his fist to strike her again, and Chloe screamed, “I'm telling the truth! It's a magic hat isn't it? I pulled the sword out of it! Where do you think I was hiding it, under my robes?”

Slipfang glanced at the sword, still in Teddy's hands, which was clearly much too big for Chloe to have been concealing it on her person. He looked back down at the girl, who now had tears running down her face.

“Fool, then. Fool I was,” grunted Slipfang. “Mair Llewellyn and that wizard's hat and you, all of you played me for a fool. Well played.”

And then he seized the top of Chloe's head by her hair, and drew the long, wicked knife at his side.

“For slaying Bagrim, your head will be the first we send to the Ministry.” He put the knife to her neck, Chloe began to wail in terror, and Teddy screamed, “NO!” and ran forward.

All the goblins stared as Teddy rushed at Slipfang. Slipfang stepped back and stared at him in astonishment. Then Teddy flipped head-over-heels and the Sword of Gryffindor went flying out of his hands. He belly-flopped onto the hard stone floor of the cavern, and looked up to see the house-elf at Slipfang's side glaring at him angrily.

Slipfang jabbered something in Gobbledegook. There had been a general commotion among the goblins, as some of them drew their own weapons. Teddy looked up, to see Slipfang staring down at him. He'd let go of Chloe's hair. Chloe was almost doubled over, with her knees pulled up under her, sobbing.

“Has living among humans completely addled your brains, dung-eater?” snarled the goblin leader.

“Don't kill her,” Teddy stammered. He saw the sword, lying on the ground just past the house-elf. There was no way he could get past both the elf and Slipfang to grab it. Spring up and tackle Slipfang? It was the only idea that came to mind, even though he already felt as if springing up would be a feat, and he knew how well tackling Slipfang had gone last time.

I'm sorry, Chloe,” he thought, knowing that no matter what he did, they were both going to die. He prepared to lunge to his feet.

Slipfang tilted his head, looking at Teddy curiously. “Why not?” he asked, and his tone gave Teddy pause.

Very slowly, Teddy rose to his feet, expecting to either be blasted by the house-elf or stabbed or shot by the goblins at any moment.

Chloe raised her head, watching him. She was shaking.

His head hurt so much. His entire body hurt, and he had to think, because his life and Chloe's depended on it. This was so hard.

“I – I...” he stammered.

Slipfang shook his head. “She's much too old to foster.” Then he stared at Teddy, and smirked. “Have you lived among humans so long that you actually fancy them?”

Teddy would have blushed, if his goblin guise allowed it. Chloe looked horrified.

“My family has been s-serving humans, for so long...” Teddy said. “I think I'd like having a human serving me.”

Slipfang considered that. “Heh.” He shook his head. “You are a very strange goblin, Griprock. Bagrim was my kin. That means her debt is owed to me. I choose to collect it thusly.” He raised his knife again.

“Take the sword!” Teddy said quickly.

Slipfang paused again. “You offer me the sword for this human's life?” he asked.

“Yes.”

Slipfang seemed to consider a moment.

“I accept.” He picked up the Sword of Gryffindor, appraising it. He nodded to Chloe. “Keep her in the main cavern. I'll kill her without compensation if she causes any trouble.”

Teddy was almost shaking with relief, as he dragged Chloe to her feet and pulled her away from Slipfang. Chloe was hiccuping as she tried to stifle sobs.

“Be quiet!” Teddy snapped. All the goblins were still watching them. He grabbed one of her hands and squeezed it, hoping they couldn't see.

Then eyes focused on Slipfang again.

“Very well,” he said. “Griprock caught the girl, Griprock can have the girl, for now.” The goblins laughed and snickered. He gestured at the other children, who had been sitting quietly, watching with apprehension the entire time. “So, which of their heads shall we cut off instead?”

 


“There's definitely a magical trigger of some sort,” said Roger Jones, the curse-breaker on Harry's team. “It's unfamiliar to me. Goblin magic was just a few days at the end of our training.”

Harry stared at the packed wall of bags, containing ammonium nitrate/fuel oil, according to their labels. About ten tons worth, if his estimate was accurate. He couldn't fault his newest Auror for being unprepared for this eventuality – after all, Harry barely remembered basic Muggle chemistry. He knew more than his fellow Aurors did about explosives, but what he knew was little more than what he'd gleaned from reading Muggle newspapers.

“Just how big an explosion would this make?” asked Ron.

“Not sure,” Harry replied uneasily. He seemed to recall a really big blast in America, some years ago, using explosives like this. “Muggles usually set this sort of thing off with a fuse, or a radio detonator. Radios wouldn't work here, but there could be a fuse on the other side. Or the goblins might have some way of magically detonating it. All it would take is fire, I think.” He looked at Jones. “And you're pretty sure that disturbing the bags will set off this trigger?”

Jones nodded. “If you're right about how these... explosives work, then it might be that as soon as we remove one bag...”

“Boom,” said Harry. He grimaced. Their options were limited. Shield Charms? He wasn't sure how strong a Shield Charm it would take to contain a blast like this. Disapparition? They were directly beneath Hogwarts, so that was out. Maybe there was some way to chemically neutralize the explosives.

“We ought to call Hermione,” said Ron. “She'd know about this sort of thing.”

Harry shook his head. “I doubt even Hermione knows much about explosives, off the top of her head.” He had great faith in Hermione too, and there was a time when he would have called her immediately, since she could certainly find out what they needed to know quickly enough. But Ron sometimes forgot that neither Harry nor Hermione were experts in Muggle science and technology. Even Hermione, who had been better about keeping up with the Muggle world, had probably not studied demolitions at university.

“I think it's time to put the new Muggle Artifacts and Cultural Research Office to work.” That was one of Harry's initiatives. His fellow Aurors had been skeptical, but he hoped it would pay off now. It had been very hard, getting wizards to learn to use telephones and computers, and then go to work in an office where they weren't allowed to use magic. “I'm going to call Diggle. You continue studying this thing, and let me know if you can break down the spells,” he said to Jones.

Ron followed Harry up the stairs, waiting until Jones was out of sight, before asking quietly, “Harry... what about Teddy?”

Harry turned to look at him, and allowed Ron to see the anguish that he couldn't show the other Aurors. He had had to make many hard choices during the war, and quite a few since becoming head of the Auror Office, but few harder than this.

“We can't send anyone to rescue half a dozen children, while there are several hundred in immediate danger. We have no choice but to evacuate the castle. I'm going to need every available body to carry people out of the Great Hall. Teddy... Teddy will have to wait.”

Just a little longer, Teddy. Just stay alive. I know you can do it.

Harry and Ron hurried back upstairs.