Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Like Wildflowers by the squid girl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Thanks to my great beta- bubblegumpinkhair!
Dear Diary,

As you are my new diary, I feel that I should introduce myself. I’m Emma Lovett, and I’m a fifth year Slytherin student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

I get a new diary every year, and I always write in it on the train to school. I meant to continue that tradition this year, but sadly, I was interrupted just as I started writing.

I was sitting with a couple of girls that are in my year, but obviously more popular than I am. They don’t really talk to me, and I don’t talk to them. It’s the perfect arrangement.

So, I was just sitting there, minding my own business and not partaking in their conversation about the latest nail coloring charms or what have you, pen poised at the ready, when Regulus Black and his wonderful friends came in. Note the sarcasm. I shot a deadening glare at Black before I went back to staring at you. I was trying my hardest to figure out what to write in you, Diary, and I was trying even harder to ignore Black and his posse. Let me tell you, Diary, that is not an easy thing to do.

Black is a year above me, and he is the most egotistical, superficial, stupid person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. He and his friends seem to have nothing better to do but harass me. It’s partially because my mother’s a Muggle, and they’re all ‘pureblooded’. It’s partially because I don’t have any friends that I can depend on to have my back. But I think it’s mostly because I’m the exact opposite of ‘cool’. I'm not the prettiest of girls, I have no figure to speak of, I have insanely curly hair, and I hardly ever talk to anyone unless they start a conversation with me, and generally I just insult them. I also really like History of Magic, even though Binns is so boring. Black, on the other hand, has tons of friends, doesn’t even try in school, and yet he does fine, and he’s really good looking slightly attractive, according to the nutjobs in my dorm.

Black seemed to have laid off towards the end of last year, but knowing the prat that he is, that was only a temporary situation.

So being the arrogant git that he is, Black walked in and sat down right next to me. He smiled in what I suppose he thought was a handsome way, and said, “What, Lovett, you didn’t miss me?” And then, he WINKED at me. Yes, you heard(read?) me, that idiot actually WINKED at me! He is so convinced that everyone should, like, worship him, just because he’s absolutely gorgeous mildly good-looking a Black.

I smiled and replied, “Yeah, I really missed knowing that there actually was a creature stupider than a dung beetle.”

Black laughed. I hate it when he laughs. He has the most adorable annoying laugh I’ve ever heard. He then proceeded to tell me how he had missed my ‘off-beat sense of humour’. He actually sounded rather sincere. I’m absolutely terrified if he was. And what the heck is that supposed to mean anyway? I’m not sure whether I should be insulted or not…

I raised an eyebrow at him. “Aw, thanks, Black, now get away from me,” I demanded, nodding toward the door.

One of the girls in the compartment smirked. “How cute, Lovett and Regulus are flirting,” Rita, I believe is her name, gushed. I blanched. If there is one thing I hate more than Regulus Black, it’s the idea that I might like Regulus Black. Which I might is completely ridiculous.

Luckily, everyone just ignored her comment.

Now one thing you must understand about Rita Mason, is that she has a huge crush on Regulus Black. She will now be out to make my life a living hell, and will most likely succeed. She’s actually rather evil…. And if she thinks I even so much as lend him a quill, she’ll do anything to make me miserable. Coincidentally, I can be evil too.

I looked away from Rita, towards her friends. Bridget Hamlin(pronounced Bri-geet, since she went to France for the summer. Apparently, that’s how all the French boys say it, and it just sounds so much more sophisticated. I still call her ‘Bridget’), who was sitting very close to Oscar Flint, batting her eyelashes and giggling while subtly pushing her skirt up higher, revealing a little more overly-tanned skin with every word he says to her. Marcia James was sitting on her boyfriend, Augustus Rookwood’s lap looking up at him dreamily. I can’t explain why though, because he’s really rather ugly and she cheats on him all of the time… and doesn’t really bother hiding it. Rachael Austin had also been in the compartment, but apparently, she and Mark Rogers needed to go and do something. Three guesses what.

Diary, I am surrounded by complete slags.

Black ignored my command to leave and his eyes flitting to you, Diary and up to his friends. A slight smirk formed on his face. “So, what are you writing about Lovett? How much you missed me over the summer and couldn’t wait to see my face again?”

I smiled pleasantly. “Of course not, I was writing about the best way to kill you and make it look like an accident. How would you like to die- quickly and painfully, or slowly and painlessly? I can do either.” I really could. I could get a note from Slughorn, the potions professor, to go to the Restricted Section, get a book on Advanced Potion making, brew a poison, and slip it into Black’s drink at dinner. I could erase all traces of the poison with a teaspoon of muggle bleach. Yes, Diary, there are some advantages to having a clean freak mother.

Black actually looked a bit intimidated for a moment, but quickly regained his composure, and grabbed you out of my hands. “I’d prefer slow and painful. Much more heroic.”

I snorted. “Yes, because you know that all of your fangirls would love you even more if they thought you were brave and heroic.” I smirked. I’m a little terrified. I think that could have been considered flirting…

He grinned mischievously and stood up, winking at me again and pointing to you in his perfect disgusting hand. “I’ll give it back soon, I promise.” When he said this, he sounded kind of …. Different, like he felt bad about taking you or something, but I know that can’t be it, because he’s Black, and he’s a cocky jerk, and he doesn’t feel bad about anything.

I frowned; I hadn’t had time to put charms on it so that no one could read it but me, since I’m not allowed to do magic at home. I knew there was nothing written in you, but it still bothered me that he had my diary. I gave him a dark look. “I don’t care. Can you even read, or do you just get some of you followers to do your work for you?”

Black let out a long-suffering sigh. “Oh, it’s a challenge, but I usually manage literacy all on my own.”

Then, I wanted to smile. I didn’t really understand why, but I wanted to smile at something that Regulus Black said. Regulus Black. Why would I smile at something an idiot like him said? Instead, I just continued to glare at him, trying to plan how I was going to get back at him. For some reason, I couldn’t concentrate. My mind kept replaying that lopsided smile of his in my head.

After giving me one last fleeting look, he left. All of his remaining friends stood up and followed him out of the compartment. The girls all looked rather sad at the boys’ departure. Rita shot daggers at me through her eyes, and I sensed her hand moving toward her wand to actually conjure and pelt me with real knives. “You know, that was a really stupid thing to do,” she said with a sickly sweet smile on her face.

I try my best to look innocent. “Whatever are you talking about Rita? I haven’t done anything,” I said calmly my voice drenched equally in fake sweetness.

It could be very entertaining if she tried to ‘get revenge’ or something to that effect. She thinks I’m weak and pathetic. Maybe physically I am, but I’m smarter than she is, and better at curses, and a hell of a lot more creative.

She continued glaring at me, all trace of fake charm gone. “You know what you did, you were flirting with Regulus. Regulus Black is mine. Everyone knows that. You should too. Stay away from him and watch your back,” she hissed threateningly.

“Right. I’m terrified. Seriously, I am.” As you can tell, Diary, it’s quite difficult for me to say anything to these people, without it drowning in sarcasm.

I stood up and stretched my back. “We’re close to Hogwarts, in case you haven’t noticed. I’ll be going now. Thanks for the hospitality.” I smirked and walked out of the compartment, dragging my things behind me.

I exited the train behind a couple of Ravenclaw boys from my year, and headed toward the carriages. I got in one that I was pretty sure was empty and dropped down onto the seat. The train ride had been fairly annoying, but not as bad as past years. Still I was confused. I didn’t really get why Rita was so mad that I was ‘flirting’ with Black, its not like he would ever like me, even if I didn’t think he was a jerk. It was like she thought that I had potential to be with him. I was amazed shuddered at the thought.

I sat for a few minutes before most of the people started getting into carriages. Mine was closest to the front, so no one had gotten in with me yet because they didn’t want to walk that far. I didn’t mind at all.

But then, right as I thought that I would have a peaceful ride up to the caste, I heard voices outside that sounded like who else, but Black and his friends.

“It’s fine, I’ll just sit up here in this one alone, I don’t mind, you can all stay there. I need some time to think anyway,” said a voice that I recognized as Black’s. I wasn’t particularly thrilled that he would soon be joining me in my carriage, but I did see that it would be a good time to get you back, Diary.

I heard his heavy footsteps outside my carriage, and then Black got in. He grinned at me, apparently beside himself about his carriage choice. “So, Lovett, we meet again.”

“So we do. What’s your point?” I asked venomously as we started our way to the castle. God, he is so annoying! Even when he barely says anything, he just sits there and smirks. It makes him look sort of handsome like a bloody idiot.

“Now, now, no need to get testy, just pointing out a fact. And um, here’s your diary back.” He offered me you, and I quickly snatched you out of his hands.

“Thanks.” I really wanted to ask what the point of taking it was if he was just going to give it back, but I decided they must have thought there would be something interesting in it, and when they saw that there wasn’t, they decided they didn’t want it.

“Sure,” said Black, still smiling. He seemed nervous when he was giving me my diary back, but he quickly went back to his usual confidence.

I rolled my eyes and got out of the carriage as soon as it stopped.

So that was all that really happened today, and even though it really doesn’t seem like a big deal, it is, because I keep having these weird thoughts about Black. Like about how mesmerizing his eyes are. They’re grey, and I swear, I’ve never see eyes that expressive before… Like how he speaks intelligently, it makes me think he’s actually really smart, but trying not to show it because that wouldn’t be ‘cool’ or something.

I think I might possibly be developing a tiny, miniscule, not-really-even-there crush on Regulus Black, who I should hate, because of obvious reasons, like the fact that he’s a pigheaded moron who thinks he’s better than everyone else, and if I suddenly start liking him, I would have wasted four years of my life hating him.

When we were on the train, the way he said he’d missed my sense of humour and when he said he’d give my diary back, he sounded so sincere… I don’t understand it. He’s been a complete jerk for four years, and suddenly he’s being almost nice? I don’t think I’ll ever get him.

Well, Diary, I think I’m going to turn in for the night. After putting a couple of spells on my bed so Rita can’t kill me in my sleep, of course. She’s been shooting me death- glares all evening.

With Love,
Emma