Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Corruption by solemnlyswear_x

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Chante' (thegirllikeme) for being a wonderful beta! :) Credit for the story idea goes to pinkteddy. Hope this does your bunny justice!
Tall strands of grass covered the headstone, curling around it like long fingers. The fact that his grave had been untouched for so many years didn’t surprise me; even I hadn’t come here since his death. I suppose his supporters came for a time, mourning the loss of their leader, but eventually most were caught, others moved on, and all stopped coming after a while. No one really wanted to remember what he had done, who he was.

Especially not me.

The wind whistled through the gravestones, echoing eerily in the cemetery. It almost sounded like laughter, and his at that. Goosebumps erupted on my arms, and rubbing at them, I sat down on the thick grass next to the grave.

I had laughed hollowly when I heard he’d been buried here. I found it ironic that, in death, he was so near his father and the other Muggles he had worked his entire life to annihilate. It had been the Ministry’s choice, a decision made after much debate. In the end, it had come down to the fact that there was nowhere else for him “ no place wanted his body, and it was deemed too inhumane to simply burn it.

I shuddered imperceptibly at the thought and looked again at the grave.

The Ministry “ at Harry Potter’s request, I knew “ had carved the name he loathed into the grey stone. For him, the name had served as a permanent reminder of the Muggle father for whom he had been named, a lasting remembrance of all he had worked to erase. To me, it was a reminder that he had been a man once.
Though I would never tell Harry Potter, I secretly thanked him for it.

I looked at the etching again, and each letter glared back at me, as if daring me to continue thinking about him.

Tom Marvolo Riddle, Jr.
1926-1998


I shut my eyes tightly, and let my thoughts drift. I recalled my childhood, cold and miserable, and then my time at Hogwarts. I could barely remember when I had been so happy. A time where there had been magic castles and broomsticks and secrets between friends.

That was a lifetime away, and here I was, in another world entirely.

Slowly, I stood, the effort needed to do so making me feel every year of my age and then some. It was growing darker and the wind more chilling. It was time to leave.

As I walked down the path, the memories continued, but this time, they were ones I didn’t want to think of. I didn’t want to relive the part I had played in all of this “ more of a role than I had ever admitted.

It was no use trying to stop the flood of memories, though. The sinister wind howled again, the gusts whipping around me, snatching at my robes.

And I remembered it all, from the innocent beginning to the horrible end.

“Riddle, Carolyn.” The voice rang out clearly in the Great Hall, and even though I had known it was about to be my turn, it still took me by surprise. Taking a deep breath, I stepped forward to place the strange, talking hat on my head.