Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Hero's Lament by L A Moody

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Great enthusiasm greets the headmistress’ announcement of a new school event; Harry voices his suspicions only to be echoed by Neville.
Disclaimer: The fine tapestry of plot and characters belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am merely pulling threads at will and weaving my own design in counterpoint to hers.


Chapter 12
Mad About Muggles


A number of days later Harry was awakened from an afternoon doze in one of the comfy chairs by the fire. Despite the rainstorm outside, it still sounded like an entire battalion was marching through the stone sconce.

It turned out that it was only Ron and Hermione who had invited Ginny for her first tour of their new quarters. The three of them were in unusually boisterous spirits.

“Oh hi, Harry!” Ginny waved from across the room. “Don’t see you around as much anymore now that you have your own common room.”

Before he had a chance to frame a response, Hermione pulled Ginny into the private bathroom and all Harry could hear was a strangely distorted echo of their sprightly conversation. The tile refracted Ron’s voice in a deeper tone, but the words were just as unintelligible. Even their laughter had a strange barking quality to it. Once they had finished showing her the private bed chambers “ Ron’s from the safety of the door frame “ they returned to the common room where Harry was still lounging by the fireplace.

“You’re completely right, Ron,” Ginny was saying, “there is absolutely no way that the Head Boy’s quarters were remotely this nice during Percy’s reign. He would never have been able to keep from rubbing our noses in it.”

Seeing that Harry had not moved from his chair, Ron asked, “Did you spend the entire afternoon in the common room, Harry? Not that there was much point in going outside, mind you.”

Hermione jumped in with, “There are posters all over the school announcing a special assembly at supper tonight. We are all to be at our house tables by six.”

“By order of the headmistress,” Ron interjected.

“Wonder what that’s all about?” Ginny posed mysteriously, then started giggling. “Gotta go. See you later, Harry.”

Hermione opened the sconce for her and with a quick wave, she was gone.

“Have you seen Neville, lately?” Harry asked. “It seems like he’s never around.”

“McGonagall’s got him doing double duty as Head Boy,” Hermione explained. “Due to the decreased enrollment this year, the school’s having to make do with less than the full complement of Prefects.”

“I only found out today that there has been no Head Girl named this year,” Ron added.

“I was the one who told you that,” Hermione protested.

“Doesn’t make it any less true, now does it?” Ron retorted.

Deliberately ignoring Ron, Hermione turned towards Harry with a dramatic sigh. “There are only two other seventh year students. Susan Bones in Hufflepuff and Daphne Greengrass in Slytherin.”

“How do you keep abreast of all these things, Hermione?” Harry asked wearily.

“I ran into them in the library,” she answered simply.

Neville had not returned when they made their way down the marble staircase at a quarter to six that evening. When they entered the Great Hall, though, he was waving to them from the front of the Gryffindor table. They waved back but Harry decided that he preferred the view from about halfway down the long trestle table. That way, he could see what was happening at the adjoining tables as well. They found an empty spot and seated themselves just in time. The room was filling up fast!

Silence fell over the students as the headmistress assumed the podium in her usual dignified manner. Looking over the crowd of expectant faces, she smiled briefly. “I have called this assembly to advise you of some recent changes to the school curriculum. Unfortunately, many of the details were still being worked out at the time of the welcoming feast so I was not able to address them then… After a long and distinguished career with this institution, Professor Farquar has decided to retire to travel the world with his aging father. Many of your parents will remember the elder Mr. Farquar who also taught Muggle Studies prior to his son assuming those duties. It is their fervent wish to satisfy their curiosity concerning Muggle customs throughout the world. We wish them both a fond bon voyage… It is with great pleasure, then, that I announce that our own Rolanda Hooch will be assuming the Muggle Studies classes this year.”

She waited for the applause to die down before continuing, “I can see by your enthusiasm that many of you have already seen the notices that have been posted throughout the school, but I felt that it was important to make an official announcement. Those of you who wish to sign up for Muggle Studies may still do so until Friday of this week; notices have been posted in the common rooms of all Houses. By the long list of those who have already expressed an interest, I can see that it will be quite a challenge to magically reshuffle so many class schedules. Rest assured, however, that new schedules will be distributed Monday morning by all Heads of Houses.”

Once again the headmistress waited for the murmuring of the crowd to draw to a close before resuming. “But it is for another purpose that I have called you here tonight. Due to the diligent efforts of a small contingent of students, I am pleased to announce that Hogwarts will be hosting its first ever Halloween Costume Ball!”

The response was immediate and overwhelming. The headmistress shook her head indulgently and took a moment to smile apologetically in the direction of the other teachers. Harry noticed that only one place was empty at the head table, but his attention was diverted by Ginny squeezing herself in between him and Hermione. Both she and Hermione were practically bouncing in their seats with excitement!

The boisterous spirit of the crowd showed no signs of letting up until Professor McGonagall pointed her wand towards the clock tower to bring forth a resounding gong. Even then it was a few moments before she was able to continue. “Many of the older students will remember when we hosted the Yule Ball a number of years ago. Although this event may appear to be very similar in nature, I assure you that there will be major differences.” Her voice took on a solemn tone as she proceeded, “I don’t have to remind you that these are dark times indeed “ and while a bit of merrymaking may raise our spirits, we cannot forget that the safety of the students, faculty, and staff of this institution remain my primary concern at all times. Consequently, I have agreed to allow this celebration to take place under very controlled circumstances. Please understand that these guidelines have been put in place to guarantee the continued good health of everyone involved.”

“Sounds like old Fleur could really use a page from McGonagall’s book on wedding planning,” whispered Ginny fiercely. “Not that she’s likely to take advice from anyone…”

“Firstly,” announced Professor McGonagall after consulting her notes, “there will not be any outside guests allowed. While I am still considering whether this restriction will be relaxed for the faulty and staff, rest assured that no exceptions will be made for the students. Please do not make me have to disappoint you. Secondly, the event will be open to Hogwarts students of all ages--” A brief pause to allow for the cheering to subside. “”and there is no requirement that you bring a date.”

Professor Hooch caught the headmistress’ attention and passed her an additional piece of parchment. The briefest flicker of surprise registered on Professor McGonagall’s features before she composed herself once again. It was clear to Harry, though, that her tone assumed a more playful note as she addressed them.

“For those of you who may not be aware, the custom of dressing up on All Hallow’s Eve is one that originated with Muggles attempting to imitate witches and wizards. We at Hogwarts are going to turn that custom on its head; our witches and wizards are going to dress up like Muggles! Although costume balls were quite popular during my youth, the recent revival comes to us from the unlikely shores of America. So as an added challenge, we are calling upon you to draw from American cultural icons. Please remember that this is about exploring characters and not living personages; so please seek inspiration from literature, stage and screen.”

She paused dramatically and with a grand gesture of her wand, fully half the candles that hung suspended above them blew out instantly. In the eerie hush that followed, with the smell of fresh ozone lingering in the air, it was clear to Harry why the grandmotherly witch before him was still a force with which to be reckoned. With every eye riveted on her, with every side conversation hushed in mid-stream, Professor McGonagall continued in a barely audible whisper, “I have been informed that the magic witching hour known to Muggles everywhere is twelve o’clock midnight. So in keeping with the spirit of the event, the Halloween Ball will not conclude until one a.m.”

It was a tribute to the charged atmosphere that permeated the Great Hall that the scattering of weak cheers died down almost instantly. McGonagall’s raptor gaze slowly swept the grim faces that lined the long rows of tables, seeming to bore into everyone’s soul in turn. “Anyone found sleeping before the appointed hour will be promptly turned into a toad and banished to his or her dormitory forthwith. Beheadings will occur at the discretion of our own Mr. Filch.”

In that last quiet millisecond, Harry could have sworn that he saw Filch’s hands twitch ever so briefly as if he was going to burst into spontaneous applause and it was taking all of his willpower to restrain himself. But then the mood was broken as the students realized that the beheadings had just been a macabre joke on the part of the headmistress. With a flick of her wrist, the candles all re-ignited and the Hall was once again bathed in a golden glow.

“Please hold your cheering to a minimum as I have a few more announcements to make. As our resident expert on Muggles, Professor Hooch will be overseeing the costume ball but she is depending upon all of us to make it happen. Hermione Granger “ please stand up “ deserves special credit for the original concept so I am awarding fifteen points to Gryffindor! Since she has a Muggle cousin in California, I am appointing her as the Student Liaison for Costume Concept and Design. She will help you come up with an idea if you need one.

"I understand that Ginny Weasley “ stand up also “ has been instrumental in obtaining the cooperation of the Merchant’s League of Hogsmeade Village who have agreed to assist with the creation of any unique costume that you desire. This is an option only for those of you who may wish to purchase a costume. On her behalf, I am awarding an additional ten points to Gryffindor and appointing her to the post of Costume Procurement!

"Professor Tonks has agreed to assist students with assembling costumes out of household items or from clothing that has been donated to the Costume Office. I don’t have to tell anyone that she has demonstrated a superior aptitude in these areas. While I cannot award her any House points “ despite her previous ties to Hufflepuff “ she can award those points herself to any student who she finds particularly deserving. She will be assigned to the post of Costume Consultant Extraordinaire!”

Silencing the crowd with her trademark no-nonsense glare, Professor McGonagall announced in a more serious tone, “So as to remind us that there is always a solution to even the most twisted conundrum, I take great pleasure in recognizing Harry Potter and awarding him fifty points for Gryffindor! As a result of his resourcefulness, Hogwarts has been made a safer place today!”

Harry was so taken aback that the words did not register immediately. It was only after he’d been slapped on the back for the twelfth time that he finally realized that he’d been smiling all along. He had no idea what he’d tell the people that pressed him for details, but that was a problem for a different day.

The headmistress tried to dismiss the assemblage with the words, “Now before you run off to search your closets and your roommates’ closets--” but the remainder was drowned out by the joyous uproar that ensued. So many students tried to leave their places during the superb supper that followed that the Hogwarts ghosts were finally corralled into floating the committee task sheets from volunteer to volunteer, up and down the long tables.

As he prudently declined a third serving of pudding, Harry idly looked up at the head table and realized with a start that it was Professor Trelawney’s chair that was empty.




Harry and Ron had already settled into a game of wizard’s chess when they heard the sound of the stone sconce. Hermione and then Ginny scrambled through as if they were being chased by dementors.

“Can’t believe we finally made it out of there!” Hermione panted.

“I don’t think we would have had a chance if it hadn’t been for Peeves,” Ginny admitted. “Poor Neville, he stepped right in the line of fire to protect the first and second years and got it right in the chest!”

“Not the inkwells again?” Ron asked hopefully as he looked up from capturing Harry’s second knight. The miniature knight was stumbling all over the chessboard, groaning piteously and otherwise making the most of his big finale.

“Just water balloons,” answered Ginny.

“Say, Ron,” Harry suggested merrily, “if we put disappearing ink in the bottles, could we trick Peeves into clearing a path for the girls instead?”

“You two are just as bad as Fred and George,” sniffed Hermione from her position next to the entrance. She handed Neville a towel as he emerged dripping from behind the sconce.

“Thanks, Hermione,” Neville said in grateful acknowledgement.

“It’s the least I could do; I knew you were right behind us.”

“Say, guys,” Ginny ventured, “you don’t mind if I hang around here for a bit, do you? It’s bound to be mayhem in the dormitories below and I don’t fancy being the favorite pull toy.” Seeing that no one objected, she collapsed gratefully among the fluffy cushions.

Neville emerged in dry clothes, continuing to towel his hair absently. “Do tell, Harry,” he urged excitedly as he joined the group in front of the fire. “Tell us about the great service that you performed for the school. McGonagall was pretty vague.”

“Well, if we’re going to be celebrating, I might as well break out the secret stash of butterbeer,” suggested Ron. He returned with five frosty bottles that he passed around.

“They’re cold and everything!” Hermione remarked incredulously.

“So you’re the only one who can perform magic?” Ron scoffed.

Slightly embarrassed by the undue attention, Harry relayed the events surrounding the destruction of the Vanishing Cabinet. “You were all there the night it happened; but what am I going to tell anyone else that presses me for details? There’s no point in making everyone feel vulnerable all over again.”

“I don’t think the headmistress would want everyone to know that the Vanishing Cabinet was just laying there in wait all these months,” Hermione ventured.

“I just can’t believe that none of the teachers were able to get into that room,” Ginny remarked as she shook her head.

“That’s just it,” confided Harry in a whisper, “I know for certain that wasn’t the case; Trelawney could have done it.”

“Just one moment,” Ginny interjected as she aimed a well-placed muffliato charm toward the entrance sconce.

Hermione started to open her mouth to protest then thought better of it.

Harry recounted how earlier that same night, he had encountered Professor Trelawney right outside the Room of Requirement. She’d been thrown out into the hall by a man “obviously Malfoy, in retrospect “ that she had interrupted while he was shouting triumphantly. His suspicions aroused, Harry had convinced the Professor to accompany him to Dumbledore’s office to relay the information first hand.

“But she never did,” lamented Harry. “I made her wait outside the office while I confronted Dumbledore about Snape’s involvement in the death of my parents. Then when I left the office to fetch my Invisibility Cloak, she was no longer waiting in the corridor. I gave Ron and Hermione the last of my Felix potion and then rejoined Dumbledore.”

“But you tried for months to get into the room where Malfoy was working “ without any success! How are you sure that Trelawney figured it out?” Hermione exclaimed.

From the empty sherry bottles that the Professor was trying to hide, Harry had concluded that Malfoy had been working in the same cavernous room that appeared whenever someone sought a hiding place. “While I didn’t make the connection until later,” Harry explained, “she would have recognized the cabinet for what it was when she returned to secrete her empties.”

“Perhaps she returned while you and Dumbledore were away,” suggested Neville.

“I don’t think she could have,” Ron interjected. “We had the Room of Requirement under surveillance the whole time: either on the Map or when Ginny and Neville were helping me guard the corridor.”

“I don’t think she would have tried to go back while Malfoy was in there, anyway,” Ginny agreed. “Especially judging from the abrupt manner in which she had been ejected.”

“So that means that she would either have had to go back later that night when the school was in a huge uproar and people were wandering all over the place,” surmised Hermione, “or more likely, she would have waited until things quieted down…”

“Exactly! At which point the details of how the Death Eaters had gained access would have been common knowledge to the teachers and staff,” Harry concluded.

“Are you sure she went back?” pressed Ginny.

“Positive,” Harry replied. “I saw her hide the bottles temporarily in one of the huge vases at the end of the corridor. When I went back, the bottles were no longer there. What’s more, Professor Trelawney was not present at the assembly tonight.”

The gentle sound of the crackling fire seemed to fill the room as everyone took a moment to ponder the implications of Harry’s analysis.

Neville broke the silence as he declared, “I don’t remember Trelawney attending Dumbledore’s funeral, either.”