Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Hero's Lament by L A Moody

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: An unplanned first lesson; Harry learns that there is much to be accomplished by questioning authority “ as long as the proper boundaries are maintained.
Disclaimer: The fine tapestry of plot and characters belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am merely pulling threads at will and weaving my own design in counterpoint to hers.

Chapter 9
An Issue of Privacy


They arrived at the ground floor classroom to find Dobby, the house-elf, waiting for them. Bowing so low that his peaked cap barely missed scraping the ground, he fawned, “It is an honor to escort all of Hogwarts’ rising stars, and especially Harry Potter, today.” With a snap of his long fingers, he ignited all five camp lanterns. “Please follow Dobby.”

Although he had crossed the threshold in his fifth year, Harry was still astounded at the transformation before him. He had stepped into a moonlit forest glen, absolutely still except for the gentlest of breezes that caressed his skin. Instead of tiles beneath his feet, he felt spongy moss and an occasional tree root. He remembered that the desks had been pushed to the perimeter of the room even though they appeared to form a wall of thick tree trunks.

It was all new to Lupin and Tonks as well as to Hermione who had dropped Divination classes in her third year. They gazed in open awe. Twirling around with his arms outstretched, Lupin cried defiantly to the heavens, “Moonlight never felt so good!”

With an impulsive peck to the cheek, Tonks tugged him down next to her on a large, flat boulder. Dobby was occupied with spreading a large, white cloth in the middle of the “clearing” and setting out covered dishes.

“There are various types of meat pies and at least two cold roast chickens from last night,” Dobby explained as he lifted the various lids. “Pumpkin juice is in that flask over there,” he pointed to a rather tall boulder that was the perfect height for a class lectern. “Just snap your fingers and call Dobby’s name if you need anything else.”

With an even deeper bow, he snapped his fingers again and was gone.

In addition to dispersing the deep violet glow of their surroundings, the camp lanterns proved ideal for weighing down the four corners of the cloth. The last one was placed near the center so that they could better see the food. Hermione graciously poured juice for everyone and then passed it around. As the boys had seated themselves right on the mossy floor at the cloth’s edge, they were the first to reach the food.

Ron offered the platter of cold chicken to Harry, “Here, mate, I reckon I owe you this after what happened with the pork chops last night.”

As he helped himself to the chicken, Harry was somewhat puzzled that he did not recall the incident in question.

“Thanks, Ron,” he replied, “but I really don’t remember anything having to do with pork chops--”

“Are you serious?” interjected Hermione. “Why he practically speared the last three chops from the platter right as you were reaching for them! And there were no more to be had on any of the other tables. I even asked a house-elf on your behalf!” She shuddered as if her actions had been scandalous.

Harry stopped to consider his memories from the previous evening. Although he had managed to miss two of the welcoming feasts, his mind replayed a kaleidoscope of images from the other five which he had attended. He could find no memories that he could identify as being from last night’s meal; but truly, didn’t platters of food look pretty much alike from year to year?

“Sorry, must not have made as big an impression as you thought.” Harry shrugged.

Amid dainty mouthfuls of meat pie, Hermione inquired of Tonks, “So what was Professor McGonagall’s assessment of your teaching methods “ if you don’t mind me asking, that is?”

“Don’t feel you have to answer if it’s too personal,” admonished Lupin gently as he turned his head towards Tonks.

“I don’t mind, we’re among friends here,” Tonks replied easily. “She complimented me on the lively classroom participation. And, although she described my exhibits as somewhat unorthodox “ her words not mine “ she said that she could not argue with their effectiveness.”

“Did she notice that you transformed right before the class just like she did when she taught Transfiguration?” asked Ron.

“Yeah, she noticed the homage,” returned Tonks, “especially when I told her that she had been my inspiration. You don’t suppose she thinks I was just flattering her, do you?”

“Not if you really meant it,” Lupin reassured her. “Did she say anything about awarding house points?”

“I wondered about that also,” Hermione added.

Tonks considered a moment before replying, “I think she started to but amended her statement to say that perhaps we should not be bound so much by the traditions of the past and that I was entitled to have my own teaching style. She did add, in the manner of a suggestion only, that I consider awarding house points in some other manner and left it at that.”

Lupin raised his eyebrows appreciatively. “I think you just got a rave review from one of the most stringent judges to be found.”

“Oooh, you really think so?” Tonks cooed happily.

“Just one thing I have to ask,” Harry began. “Today’s classes are all fine and good, as it’s the first day back and all. But how do you keep the word that you’re a Metamorphmagus from becoming common knowledge? Won’t that spoil your opening routine?”

“Ah, that was pure genius,” intoned Lupin, then turning to Tonks he added, “May I?”

Tonks nodded gratefully, suddenly embarrassed by all the adulation coming her way.

Lupin continued in a whisper as if he were imparting the greatest secrets of the universe, “She swears them all to secrecy on the pretext that surely they don’t want the next class to have an undue advantage.”

“And they agree?” Ron’s awe was apparent.

“They have so far,” replied Tonks modestly.

Hermione jumped up abruptly, “What time is it?” she cried as she looked frantically around the clearing for a clock.

Chuckling softly, Lupin pulled a beat-up pocket watch from his vest pocket. “It’s just shy of 1:40,” he replied.

“Oh, I have a two o’clock appointment with Madame Hooch. I mean, Professor Hooch,” Hermione added quickly. “It’s been a lovely lunch and thank you so much, Professor, for allowing me to watch your class in action.”

As she tugged on Ron’s sleeve to urge him up, he grudgingly admitted that he had a two o’clock appointment with his advisor also. Turning toward Lupin, he commented, “Good call on the class. Wouldn’t have missed it.”

Tonks was also shaking the crumbs from her clothing. “I regret that I have a 2:15 class myself,” she announced with a touch of sadness in her voice. “And I do need a few extra moments to get into character.”

“My appointment is with Harry here so I don’t exactly have to run off immediately,” Lupin replied. “We’ll call for the clean-up crew, won’t we, Harry?”

“I’m off on my solo flight then,” Tonks intoned from the doorway. “Harry, Remus, it’s been a pleasure.” She saluted them smartly before turning on her heel to go.

Lupin started to return the salute, then thought better of it at the last moment and blew her a kiss instead.

Clean up was completed, literally, in a snap. Dobby informed them that Firenze was not teaching any classes today so they were welcome to the classroom for as long as they liked; just to be sure to call him to lock-up when they were through.

Harry asked about the state of the weather outside and was informed that the mist had turned into a steady drizzle around mid-day. Watching the raindrops slide down the panes of Lupin’s office window held no appeal so it was unanimously decided to stay in the ersatz forest glen.

“You know, Harry,” suggested Lupin, “I could do with a nice campfire. It seems that once I know that it’s cold and damp outside the castle walls, I start to feel the clamminess in my bones. Power of suggestion.”

“I know just what you mean, Professor,” agreed Harry. “Should I summon a house-elf?”

“No need, really. What sort of a Transfiguration teacher would I be if I couldn’t conjure up a simple campfire?”

After a few moments of consideration, Lupin completed a rather elaborate wand movement over the closest boulder. Instantly, it was transformed into a large copper bowl complete with fire wood.

“Wouldn’t do to start a fire in the woods “ or building “ now would it?” Lupin commented.

With a quick swirl of his wand, Harry silently commanded, incendio, and was rewarded with a roaring blaze.

“Excellent use of non-verbal spells,” Lupin complimented him. “I was about to award you house points, but I think I’ll try to take a page from Tonks’ book and let the conversations flow more naturally… So what do you think of the advisor assignments? We can make a change if you’re unhappy.”

“I’m perfectly content with having you as my advisor, Professor,” Harry assured him with a shy smile. “I don’t know why I had assumed that the headmistress was going to take the three of us under her wing personally; she certainly wouldn’t have had the time. I just found her so easy to talk to over the summer.”

“When she enticed you to return to Hogwarts?” Lupin ventured. “Yes, she filled me in on the particulars. She did take a good bit of time to lay out the individualized study programs to us before delegating the duties. And she was instrumental in remodeling Gryffindor Tower into a special suite for the seventh-year students. You realize that area used to be a storage room, don’t you? That’s why it doesn’t appear on the Marauder’s Map.”

“Is there any way to add it to the Map?” asked Harry.

“I believe there is and it would make a good lesson in Transfiguration as well. You didn’t happen to bring it with you today, did you?”

Harry shook his head. Remembering Dumbledore’s admonition, he had carefully packed his Invisibility Cloak into his book bag -- but the Marauder’s Map was in the hidden compartment of his trunk.

“I will make a note to bring it next time,” Harry offered. “Hermione sure didn’t seem very happy with her advisor assignment, though,” he mused.

“Ah, that’s where you’re wrong, Harry,” Lupin corrected him. “The headmistress is actually a very shrewd judge of character. If you promise to keep this a secret until the official announcement is made…”

Harry nodded, eager to hear the rest.

“Well, Professor Hooch will be assuming the Muggle Studies classes in the near future. Professor Farquar has been waffling on his decision to retire but is finally expected to make it official within the next few weeks. The headmistress will wait until then to add Muggle Studies to the curriculum; at which point, anyone desiring to do so may add it to their class schedule.”

“That explains the change in her expression then,” Harry concluded.

“And did you know that Professor Flitwick is a champion at wizard chess?” offered Lupin. “I’m sure that he and Ron will have many good conversations concerning military strategy as well as a rousing match or two. Now as to you, Harry, have you given any thought to where you would like to begin your individualized program?”

Harry explained his initial idea to study twin magical devices, especially those concerning communication mirrors. Detailing the tragic circumstances that led to the shattering of his own mirror, he asked Lupin if he ever remembered James and Sirius using such devices.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Lupin admitted, “I just don’t remember; it was all so long ago. Why don’t you bring the mirror with you next time and we’ll take it from there? I’ll also expect to see the fruits of your research at our next appointment. I don’t require that you submit your findings on parchment “ at least not for now “ but you may use your notes to assist you in your presentation. It will be your job to assume the role of teacher and impart to me your knowledge of twin magical objects. Are those instructions clear?”

Harry nodded that he understood.

“The headmistress has already sent written authorization to Madam Pince for you, Ron and Hermione to have unlimited access to the restricted section so you should have no problems in that respect. Many teachers also have private libraries of their own that they may wish to share with you. Unfortunately, my store of books is rather meager. However, Professor Dumbledore did leave a considerable private library that is now part of the headmistress’ office. That will be made available to you in the near future as soon as the cataloguing process is completed. How about if we set your next appointment for,” he consulted a weathered leather portfolio, “three days hence at eleven in the morning?”

As Harry scribbled feverish notes that would have made Hermione proud, Lupin once again consulted his ancient pocket watch.

“Well, now that we’ve completed all the urgent business,” he drawled, “how about joining me in a nice cup of tea?” With a flick of his wand, a metal teapot was sizzling among the flames.

“Don’t wizards generally heat the water with magic?” Harry asked pointedly.

“Many do,” agreed Lupin, “but Molly Weasley taught me that it is always better to reassert the boil by non-magical means before adding the tea. It makes for a more flavorful brew.”

With an elaborate wrist motion, Lupin made the teapot to remove itself to the tall stone where the flagon of pumpkin juice had stood earlier. He added loose leaves from a pocket tin, swirled it about for a few minutes, then poured the resulting tea into two mismatched mugs that had magically appeared. Cream, sugar and lemon slices also materialized next to the teapot.

Sitting down in companionable silence, they sipped the hot tea. Harry debated whether he should bring up the issue from the welcoming feast. Perhaps if he approached the subject obliquely…

Sensing his inner turmoil, Lupin urged, “You have another matter weighing on your mind… Is that not so, Harry?”

Begin in a circuitous manner, Harry reminded himself. “Well, you see, there are a number of things about last night’s feast that have been bothering me. I must have been drowsy as certain portions of the evening seem to be lost in a fog while others are crystal clear.”

Lupin nodded in understanding as he volunteered, “I’d gathered as much from the pork chop incident with Ron. Couldn’t help overhearing,” he added apologetically.

Determined to take the plunge, Harry continued, “Am I correct that Professor McGonagall never made any sort of announcement concerning your marriage to Tonks?”

Clearly, this was not the detour that Lupin had anticipated the conversation to take. In the immediate silence, Harry regretted his tactlessness a thousandfold.

Shaking his head in resignation, Lupin mused, “You sound more and more like your father, James, everyday.” With a deep breath, he looked Harry in the eye and replied, “I suppose I do owe you an answer since we invited you to share in our celebration aboard the Hogwarts Express. Rest assured, Harry, your memory is correct on that point: no announcement was made to the students.”

“But why not, Professor?” Harry inquired, only to immediately wince at his boldness.

Lupin sighed and then pronounced in a quiet tone, “Teachers are not in the habit of making announcements of a personal nature to the student populace. Not at Hogwarts, not at any other school. To do so would be to infringe upon our privacy.”

“But what if some students were to see you together?”

“Teachers socialize with one another all the time.” Lupin shrugged.

“What if they were to see you behaving in a manner that suggested--”

“That’s highly unlikely, Harry! I am by nature, a rather reserved individual “ what young people would refer to as an ‘old fuddy-duddy.’ Tonks herself has admitted she is inherently shy--”

At Harry’s skeptical glance, Lupin chuckled, “All right, I admit she may be deluding herself on that last point, but still… Is this because I blew her a kiss at lunch today?”

“I also saw her give you a peck on the cheek,” Harry rejoined.

“Harry, we were completely alone other than you, Ron and Hermione “ and the three of you already know. If you’re worried about the house-elf “ and I assure you, you shouldn’t be “ he was busy with the tablecloth and had his back to us at the time. Surely you don’t think that we are the only teachers at Hogwarts that have ever been married to one another, do you?”

Suddenly, Harry realized the error of his thinking. The dismay was apparent on his face for Lupin to read.

“Oh, Harry, what sort of assumptions have you made? Surely you should look at this in a more mature manner.”

“Do you mean to tell me that some of the other Hogwarts teachers are married?”

“As well as some of the staff,” Lupin pronounced, then raised a finger in warning, “but understand that I am not at liberty to provide any of the details. They are entitled to their privacy just as much as I am.”

“But what about Hagrid?” Harry suggested. “I’ve visited his cottage lots of times…”

“That’s just the point, Harry! Aside from Hagrid, when have you ever had cause to visit the living quarters of anyone other than another student?”

“I attended a Christmas party at Professor Slughorn’s last year. There were students, staff and outside guests present.”

“I believe such an event would have been held in the Professor’s offices; many of the areas are quire generously proportioned to allow for entertaining. I assure you those were not his private quarters.”

The enormity of the situation began to dawn on Harry. “So there are private living quarters within the walls of the castle?” he probed.

“Absolutely,” Lupin returned. “Many of the staff have private residences beyond the school grounds as well.”

“What about the Map?” Harry asked, dreading the answer that was sure to come.

“I didn’t know about the private quarters, either, at the time that the Map was drawn. We were all similarly naïve. Rest assured, however, that these areas remain Unplottable even from within the castle walls. I could no more add them to the Map than ask the Room of Requirement to reveal its secrets! Even the Marauder’s Map has its limitations. So to answer one of your original questions, Harry: what was I to do in the unlikely event that a student came upon me and my wife in our private quarters in an Unknowable, Unplottable area of the castle? DO I HAVE IT CORRECTLY?”

Harry nodded meekly.

“Why I would graciously say, ‘Have you had the pleasure of meeting my wife?’” The sarcasm was evident in Lupin’s voice.

“So is the marriage intended to be a secret then?”

Harry was relieved when Lupin smiled weakly. “Not at all, Harry,” he intoned quietly. “It was never our intent to swear any of you to secrecy. You are free to speak of my marriage should it come up naturally in conversation. I do trust, however, that none of you four would betray our friendship by treating the news as idle gossip. I would be exceedingly disappointed to overhear any of you saying, ‘You’ll never believe what I just heard…’ ”

Harry assured him that they were not that immature.

“Good thing!” Lupin affirmed. “As to why no announcement was made, consider this: we presented Professor McGonagall with a fait accompli. To have made a proclamation to those who had neither been invited to be present at the ceremony nor to celebrate the news with us at a later date would have simply been bad form.”

Harry looked up at Lupin apologetically. Despite all the valuable information he had learned, particularly about the shortcomings of his own assumptions, he valued the friendship too much to risk alienating the Professor.

Lupin smiled indulgently in return. “Come, it’s getting close to supper time. You go on while I summon Dobby to lock up. I will see you at eleven on Friday morning. Don’t forget!”