Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Dance of the Snake Charmers by go go ravenclaw

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

A thousand thanks to my LOVELY betas,Sainyn Swiftfoot and Rachel_Marie!! *huggles*

No matter how great my work is, the fact remains, and will remain, that I AM NOT JKR, and DO NOT OWN HER CHARACTERS. I just borrowed them from her when she was asleep.
Chapter Notes: Well, off you go, then!
Funny how vulnerable man is to life’s calamities, thought Tom Marvolo Riddle as he fingered Slytherin’s locket, the part of his soul that he wore around his neck.

It was very childish behavior that most, including him, carried into adulthood. Even though he knew that it was already in his possession, he always kept it with him to remind himself that he owned it. Possessiveness was a very human trait.

I need to rise above it, he reflected. But the Horcrux was new, after all. Still fresh from Hephzibah’s murder, or rather “poisoning”, it held his attention whenever his busy mind was not diverted elsewhere.

Tom took advantage of this free moment to think of his journey until now. Only a young man of nineteen, he had already created four Horcruxes: Rowena Ravenclaw’s famous diadem, Marvolo’s treasured ring, Helga Hufflepuff’s cup, and the one that he prized above all: Salazar Slytherin’s family heirloom; the locket.

Along with these “trinkets”, he had gathered several followers as well: Avery, Black, Lestrange… All pureblood families. All Slytherins. And all faithful.

Or so he hoped.

‘Tom,’ drawled someone from behind his chair.

‘Speak, Arcturus.’

‘Tom, what you had asked for has been done.’

‘About my…ah, little tour?’

‘Yes, the tour. You sail for the Indian subcontinent a month from now.’

Tom smiled mirthlessly. ‘With Miss Patil?’

‘Of course.’

‘Good.’

***

A month passed quite quickly, especially since he knew that a very interesting prospect awaited at the end. India had always held his fascination, with its golden skinned, raven haired people and its rich culture; but most particularly, a legend surrounding Salazar Slytherin.

Legend said that Slytherin, after leaving Hogwarts, went to India and lived out the rest of his days there. He became acquainted with its natives and learnt that they worshipped snakes.

It was here that things got interesting. Salazar attracted snakes wherever he went, and they acted on his orders, because, of course, he was a Parselmouth. Snakes laid eggs when he was around, and the eggs hatched faster. He was one of the best madaris, as Indians called snake charmers.

But there was one snake which no one in the little village located in the Thar Desert could control. This snake was called Kalinag, Black Snake, after the mythological creature that battled their god, Krishna, and lost.

But when Slytherin came near it, Kalinag, calmed down and succumbed to his crooning.

The madaris were very happy and their reverence for him knew no bounds. Kalinag was given a cave as a home, where it laid its eggs and where the snakes that hatched from them also lived.

These snakes were as uncontrollable as their ancestor. Wreaking havoc all over the place, they could only be trained by the descendants of a native that Slytherin had trained. Stories of them were told to every Slytherin, and it was courtesy of his friends that he knew this.

Now, a thousand years later, only one descendant of Kalinag remained. Nagini was her name.

And it was Nagini he wanted.

Having such a strong companion would definitely increase his odds of taking over the Ministry and eventually, the wizarding world. And if Nagini was so dangerous, it would be even better to have her as a Horcrux. He could control her, possess her, make her do things that would not be possible for a normal reptile.

And, with Miss Patil as a guide, the journey would surely be interesting. She would be a pleasant companion, even though she would have to be killed in the end. He would be meeting a classmate who was not a Death Eater for the first time in two years. He wondered how to greet her. But then, again, she was merely a tool, to be used and discarded: why should he show manners towards her?

Remembering the rebellious girl that she used to be, he smirked in anticipation as to how he would pull her down a peg or two.

It was with such thoughts that he passed the month before their departure.
Chapter Endnotes: Well, I certainly hope you got hooked onto the story! Reviews are not a compulsion, but they are greatly appreciated!