Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity

Printer
Summary:

Winner of the 2008 Quick Silver Quills Award for Best General Story.

The first book in the Alexandra Quick series.

The war against Voldemort never reached America, but all is not well there. When 11-year-old Alexandra Quick learns she is a witch, she is plunged into a world of prejudices, intrigue, and danger. Who wants Alexandra dead, and why?

This story is canon-compliant with the Harry Potter universe, but the characters and settings are all original. I've put a lot of work into envisioning a world as detailed as the original series; I hope you enjoy it.


Ratings: 1st-2nd Years [ - ] Past Featured Story
Category: General Fics
Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 29 Completed?: Yes
Wordcount: 164441 Viewcount: 195029
Published on: 05/20/08 Updated On: 07/09/08



Story Notes:

Cover image for Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle.

Banner image donated by QueenHal.

For a summary of this story and its characters, see the Quickipedia . (Warning: This wiki is not maintained by the author, and contains spoilers!)



1. The Naiad Pond by Inverarity [ - ] (4260 words)
Alexandra thinks there's a naiad in Old Larkin Pond. She just wants a bit of excitement to end her summer, but though she doesn't know it yet, her life is about to change.
2. Grounded by Inverarity [ - ] (7525 words)
Alexandra is grounded, but when has that ever stopped her? When she asks her friends to help her find her lost bracelet, she thinks being caught by her parents is the only danger she has to worry about.
3. Something Found, Something Lost by Inverarity [ - ] (2686 words)
She found her bracelet, but Alexandra's misadventure at Old Larkin Pond may mean the loss of something more valuable.
4. The Charmbridge Scholarship by Inverarity [ - ] (4857 words)
Alexandra meets Lilith Grimm, the Dean of Charmbridge Academy.
5. The Trace Office by Inverarity [ - ] (6421 words)
Alexandra is introduced to the wizarding world, and its rules. Then she promptly breaks them. But in the wizarding and in the Muggle world, she begins to realize there are consequences for her actions.
6. The Short Bus by Inverarity [ - ] (4047 words)
A magic bus takes Alexandra on a shopping trip to Chicago, and she meets some of her classmates.
7. The Goblin Market by Inverarity [ - ] (3891 words)
Everything a young witch could want is for sale in the Goblin Market. Alexandra gets her wand, and learns more about the wizarding world.
8. Grundy's by Inverarity [ - ] (6204 words)
Even while shopping for school supplies, Alexandra just can't stay out of trouble.
9. The Invisible Bridge by Inverarity [ - ] (5080 words)
Off to school! But Alexandra may not make it to Charmbridge Academy, if she can't cross the Invisible Bridge.
10. SPAWNs by Inverarity [ - ] (6049 words)
Almost being killed was bad enough, but now Alexandra has to take a test she's never studied for. She's not getting off to a good start at Charmbridge.
11. Remedial Magic by Inverarity [ - ] (6167 words)
Alexandra has a lot to learn, and even more to prove.
12. Troublesome by Inverarity [ - ] (7012 words)
Does trouble follow her, or is she just trouble? Alexandra gets detention, and a new nickname.
13. Chicken by Inverarity [ - ] (9068 words)
Larry and Alexandra plot against each other, and their rivalry takes flight.
14. Jinxed by Inverarity [ - ] (7448 words)
Dean Grimm's punishment makes life miserable for Alexandra, but she becomes convinced someone wants to do more than jinx her.
15. Clockwork Mutiny by Inverarity [ - ] (5991 words)
Is someone else meddling with the Clockworks? For the second time, detention for Alexandra and Larry turns deadly.
16. The Dark Convention by Inverarity [ - ] (4746 words)
Neither detention nor deadly mishaps can deter Alexandra from trying to learn about her father. Will a pair of friendly library elves help her find answers?

17. Thanksgiving by Inverarity [ - ] (8417 words)
Alexandra gets another lesson in consequences, and the importance of friends.
18. The Hidden Thorn by Inverarity [ - ] (7878 words)
As Christmas approaches and everyone begins to feel homesick, Alexandra's quest for her father's identity leads to a shocking discovery.
19. The Christmas Blizzard by Inverarity [ - ] (6084 words)
Alexandra returns to Larkin Mills for Christmas, where a friend's betrayal and a terrible blizzard results in tragedy.
20. The Registrar's Scroll by Inverarity [ - ] (4300 words)
Back in school, Alexandra tries to demand answers from the Dean.
21. Larry's Wager by Inverarity [ - ] (4041 words)
Alexandra is determined to stay out of trouble, but Larry is determined to get her into some. And how can Alex turn down a dare?
22. The Hodag by Inverarity [ - ] (4461 words)
Accepting Larry's wager, Alexandra and Anna go into the woods. They soon find that they are not alone. Alexandra is heedless of danger to herself, but what about danger to her friends?
23. Field Trip by Inverarity [ - ] (6845 words)
Charmbridge Academy's sixth grade class goes on a field trip to Chicago for Muggle Awareness Month. Of course Alexandra gets into trouble... and discovers a sinister secret.
24. Forgiveness and Responsibility by Inverarity [ - ] (9342 words)
Alexandra crosses a line with the Dean, pushes her friendship with Anna to the limits, and learns important lessons in forgiveness and responsibility, as she prepares to break the rules in a spectacular manner.
25. The Registrar's Office by Inverarity [ - ] (4476 words)
As our story nears its climax, Alexandra breaks into the Registrar's Office, uncovers the truth, and unmasks a villain!
26. Murder in the Woods by Inverarity [ - ] (5885 words)
To save her friend, Alexandra must go into the woods and face a killer, without her wand.
27. Broken Circle by Inverarity [ - ] (4124 words)
In the aftermath of her deadly confrontation in the woods, Alexandra finally learns the truth about the Thorn Circle.
28. Governor-General Hucksteen by Inverarity [ - ] (4874 words)
Charmbridge Academy is honored by a very important visitor, and Alexandra is given an audience she didn't ask for, with the Governor-General of the Confederation.
29. The Raven by Inverarity [ - ] (2262 words)
As her first year at Charmbridge Academy draws to an end, Alexandra receives one more unexpected visitor.