Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Year of the Badger by Sly One

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

Albus' first taste of duelling, will he survive it?

Once Quidditch tryouts concluded, things settled into a groove for Albus, finally: going to classes, doing homework in the Cellar common room, Quidditch practice on Friday evenings after Slytherin.

To Albus' chagrin, Roq MacNast turned out to be the captain of Slytherin. A fact of which he informed Albus just before the first Hufflepuff Quidditch practice, as Slytherin left the field.  MacNast tapped his Beater bat against his palm as he informed Albus that Teddy wouldn't be on the Quidditch pitch to protect him this time.

Violet and Valencia strolled up. "You are recovered from da Bludger to da head last year, ya? No more double vision?" Violet asked sweetly.

Roq left without a word.

Albus later found out that Valencia carved the skull-like faces of anyone she had ever knocked off their broom into her Beater bat with astonishing skill. He was able to pick out Roq's shaved head and goatee out of the disturbing collection. In addition, one looked very much like his cousin Fred.

Diana turned out to be quite the strategist, and was very thorough in her scouting reports, which Albus and Scorpius were required to memorise. The document wasn't very encouraging!

Ravenclaw Quidditch Team:

Ravenclaw was the winner of the Quidditch cup the previous year.  They have a deep veteran squad with good teamwork and clever formations.  They are in the running this year because of overall team balance.

Defence:

The Keeper and Captain is Eleanor Ferraro. She is success driven, and has solid skills. The Beaters are Ashton Gully and Isla Petit. Ashton is hen-pecked for such a big boy. He does whatever Eleanor or Isla tell him to do, resulting in him being indecisive. Isla is the backbone of the Ravenclaw team calling many of the formations. Due to her smaller size, she is accurate, but not hard-hitting.

Offence:

The Chasers are Elliot Durnin, Jay Usher, and Holly Ware. Jay may be odd looking with his goggles and spiky hair, but he is the highest scoring Chaser. Jay is very aggressive and is not above body blocking, he acts more like another defensive agent. Holly is deceptive, she seems totally out of the game, but then she shows up with the Quaffle and scores three in a row.

Seeker:

Lilith LeBlanc is the Seeker. She rarely talks, and seems to float rather than walk; they have checked her for a pulse more than once. When she views the Snitch, she'll let out a piercing shriek as she dives. It's unsettling, but listen for it. You'll have seconds to get to the Snitch before her. Her nickname is "The Banshee"

Slytherin Quidditch Team:

Fourth place for the last three years and not seeming to care, this team is vicious, physical and violent. When you play them, you are in for a war. The only team that was able to match them blow for blow the previous year was Hufflepuff. When we met, it was combat and it was the most penalized game in Hogwarts history.  They are still not sure how two little blond-haired girls knocked out their entire starting chaser line, but having added some scoring this year, they are looking to get revenge.

Defence:

The Keeper is Max Gates. He is very large and has long arms, blocks the Quaffle from sheer menace; he has clotheslined in-coming chasers in the past. The Beaters are Roq McNast, and Aiden Gallo. Roq is the Captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team and as nasty as they come. Aiden is deadly accurate, and moves like a vulture; out of the two Beaters he is the more deadly.

Offence:

The Chasers are Paige Hawkins, Jakob Ackerman and Oliver Huer. Paige is the entire reason that Slytherin thinks they can move up in the standings this year. When the Chertoffs knocked out the starting Chaser line in that blood-soaked last game, she came in from the reserve and scored three times. Jakob likes to run into things.  Almost to the exclusion of the game sometimes, the favourite Slytherin manoeuvre is for him to run full bore into the opposing team's Beater line, and sometimes Keeper, with the other Chasers coming in behind him. Oliver doesn't really care too much for scoring, he wants to knock somebody off of their broom, has little recollection of the game the previous year after Violet and Valencia nailed him with a rare double Bludger hit to the head.

Seeker:

Leon Sloan is the Slytherin Seeker and the smallest member of the Slytherin team. In spite of his slight build, he has muscles packed on. Not willing to do the Snitch searching, he will track the other Seeker relentlessly looking to block them and get their first; he will grab a fistful of robes.

Gryffindor Quidditch Team:

A Weasley-heavy squad who were dominate the last few years with the previous year being the only exception.  With a Potter as Seeker, three Weasley Chasers and a living Bludger as one of the Beaters, they are balanced, poised and ready to claw their way back to the top of the heap. I'm not sure who can stop them! 

Defence:

The new Keeper is Grayson Wood. Keeper was Gryffindor's only weakness the past few years. Grayson's father is one of the best professional Keepers in recent memory. I am surprised they got him to play; he didn't appear particularly keen on Quidditch for his first three years.

The Beaters are Fred Weasley, and Fergus Finnigan. Fred is the team captain. He is dangerous with a Beater bat; knocked off his broom last year early on in our match with Gryffindor, he got back on and finished. He is the only other Beater I have ever known the sisters to respect. Fergus is hyperactive and very accurate. Fred is more likely to make you wish you were never born, but Fergus can knock your head off from half the pitch away.

Offence:

The Chasers are Molly and Lucy Weasley, and Dominique Weasley. Molly and Lucy I put together because they are one unit. I have never seen two Chasers work together the way these girls do, the passes are pinpoint and sometimes one will pass to the spot where the other one will be! They are our biggest Chaser headache this year. Dominique is an unknown. I'm not sure how good she is. However, she is a Weasley. I'll have to see if there was some nepotism involved in Fred picking her.

Seeker:

James Potter is another unknown, but Merlin, who cares if he's good? He has a ruddy SkyBolt!

-          

When Albus read the report at breakfast, Rose was aghast. "Dominique is playing Chaser? But she can't stand Fred and James!"

Albus saw his cousin across the hall sitting with Molly and Lucy; she looked up and met his eyes, then turned away quickly.

"In her defence, she doesn't look proud of herself," he replied.

-

As the weeks progressed and September led into early October, the castle got positively drafty. In several of the classes, they saw their breath escape in plums of steam: with two exceptions: Herbology was climate-controlled, and History of Magic with its oil lamps and covered windows was almost stifling. The warmth of that room, coupled with the soft couches, caused more than one head to nod. When that person woke up, they would find Professor Hemophilias staring at them. That normally ended any thought of a nap.

Some daft upperclassmen girls had taken a liking to the vampire, and were circulating a petition to give him more freedom. They called themselves Hemophiliacs.

Albus took one amused look at the petition and then remarked to the eager girl who had asked him to sign, "Are you all mental? He would drain the lot of you like a case of butterbeer!"

She got a dreamy look in her eyes. "Do you really think so?"

As she wandered off, Scorpius stared at her retreating form. "That was disturbing."

Rose smiled. "Well, I don't know. I do think that Hemophilias is kind of a romantic figure."

Albus and Scorpius gaped at her.

"For a blood sucking fiend of the night, I mean," she amended.

-

It wasn't long before the trio settled into a comfortable routine with their homework. Albus was the Potions man, Rose was the queen of Transfiguration, and Scorpius caused Rose to mime gagging more than once when he pointed out that he was the "Charming" one.

All three loved Herbology.

Albus never knew what he was in for when he walked into the Arboretum, all he could be certain of was that it would be interesting. The Slytherins sneered at everything and Kian Kerry still glared, but they were just as wide-eyed as everyone else was when Professor Longbottom pulled out a new specimen or took them into a new environment.

Cormac Collins seemed to be Longbottom's student favourite after a little while, with a natural grasp of the subject. Soon his bedside table in the bunkroom stayed covered with rare fauna for extra credit.

Albus still struggled in Transfiguration and Charms, but he was showing steady progress. When he accepted his wand in his dream, he was making a choice that affected him in the real world. He no longer feared his wand, no longer felt frightened of the tingle he felt in his wand arm. He had actually begun to polish it every day; with all of the carvings, it was a job. While doing so he realised that around the base, there were some tiny characters. Rose told him they were Runes, but even after scouring the library with Scorpius, she never could find out what kind.

Defence Against the Dark Arts was becoming the class to dread. Professor Pharrel never seemed to stray too far from the syllabus and they never touched their wands. They learned about some defensive spells, but it was mostly dry theory. Because of this, Friday afternoons seemed to drag on.

Things did not improve between Albus and the Gryffindors. He was still hearing many snarky comments, and endured a couple of pranks. Slytherins were, of course, Slytherins, as a point they didn't get along with anybody. The Ravenclaws, however, were a polite bunch and they got along pretty well with the Hufflepuffs.

Albus even got some fashion advice from one of the French girls, Aimee Couture, who was aiming to design dress robes when she left Hogwarts.

"You know Hufflepuff uses yellow az zer primary Quidditch uniform colour, but black would be zo very much better, no?"

Albus mentioned that fact to Diana Delaney at practice. She nodded absently, and told him to get back to the Quaffle-pass drill.

The three friends visited Hagrid a couple more times, and got a chance to have dinner at the Longbottoms one Friday in their private quarters at school,  getting better acquainted with Olivia Abbot there. She was a sweet girl, but a bit shy. Rose began to show up at the breakfast table with her, but she rarely contributed anything to the conversation. Gas usually made up the difference.

The Howlers for Scorpius were more infrequent, and a couple of times he received packages from his mum. He still had yet to hear from his father, and he tried not to show it, but every time Albus and Rose received letters from home, he got a bit broody.

They arrived at DADA one Friday to find a notice on the board. 

Duelling Club season begins tonight sign up now!

Professor Pharrel made mention of it in his class, before launching into yet another dry monologue about the seven uses for Shield spells.

"I was brought to Hogwarts for my duelling expertise. I am the Master of the Duelling Club. If you want some more practical knowledge of these spells, we have been learning about. Feel free to sign up, even if you don't know very much. I will pair you with someone near your competence level."

Albus, Rose and Scorpius exchanged excited looks. Their names were the first ones on the list.

They arrived that night promptly at seven. The large open hall on the forth-level east-wing was already full. There were a lot of upperclassmen, but not as many as Albus anticipated. He saw several students his own year, however. The Gryffindors-including the two blond-haired boys that had become his chief tormentors, Allen Baldwin and Callum Weigand were staring at him menacingly, wands already out.

Albus remembered his father's last words on the platform at King's Cross. Don't duel anyone till you've learned how. He wondered if he was going to be able to obey his father's admonishment.

Professor Pharrel arrived late, as usual, and began to pair up the first years. The upperclassmen already paired off and began to practice wand movements.

Rose and Scorpius paired off immediately, since they were so far ahead of Albus in wand work. Cormac and Gas stood together. In spite of his earlier fears, Albus remained standing by himself. It seemed the rumours of his wand's potential for destruction had made the rounds. Professor Pharrel was about to send him to the side for the duration of the lesson when a voice called out, "I'll pair up with Potter."

Albus turned and his stomach gave a lurch. Strolling confidently toward him and the professor was Liam Donovan.

"Um. Professor, I don't mind sitting this one out," Albus mumbled.

Professor Pharrel beamed. "Nonsense, my boy. You two will work out just fine."

The lesson was quick as the Professor gave a demonstration of Expelliarmus. They all practiced the wand movement accompanied by the sounds of the upperclassmen duelling.

Albus looked straight ahead, as he mumbled the incantation to himself, making the wand motion. He felt a little self-conscious trying to cast his father's signature spell. Liam Donovan just stared, not even bothering with the practice. His arms crossed, as though he seemed to be waiting for something.

Professor Pharrel blew a whistle for attention.

"Now you students practice disarming each other. I don't expect anyone to duel just yet. However, if you so happen to be successful, then by all means see if you can disarm your partner first. That is the first step in learning to duel. If anyone needs me, I'll be over here, evaluating. Good luck."

He bustled off to the other side of the hall.

Since Liam showed no interest in beginning, Albus just watched as the other students began trying to disarm each other. Gas managed it rather quickly, but he held his wand out for Cormac, giving encouragement. Rose and Scorpius managed to get each other's wands to wiggle, but not much beyond that. The other students seemed to be experiencing various stages of success.

Albus waited in silence for Liam to begin. He wasn't going to antagonize the boy if it was at all possible. Suddenly, Liam turned his head; his creepy silver eyes studied Albus like an insect swat.

"Are you ready, Potter?"

Albus decided to try to get along. He held out his hand to the boy. "Albus."

"What?"

"My name is Albus."

Liam gave him a scathing look, as if he was being daft. "I know that."

"Why call me Potter?"

"We're not friends."

"Do you want to be?"

There was the barest hesitation, and then Liam murmured, "No." Liam then turned to Albus; his simple black-wood wand was in his hand. "Prepare to duel, Potter."

Albus' jaw dropped in shock. "We're supposed to be trying to disarm each other."

His opponent gave a scary smile. "This is a Duelling Club, Potter, and I am here to duel."

Albus shook his head adamantly. "No. I don't know how. We could get hurt."

Liam's face went cold. "You might get hurt. Defend yourself."

Liam got into a duelling position similar to the one Albus had seen the older students use. Albus was about to call for the professor, but he knew it would be too late. His mind quested for any defensive spell that he could use. He thought of Rose and her Protego. He remembered how she had moved her hand in a clockwise motion before flicking it when she was showing it to Gas that day with the Bludgers. He only had one shot at it.

"Impedimenta!" Liam bellowed.

Albus squeaked, "Protego"

The jet of green light hit his shield and splintered.

Rather than being mollified, Liam seemed to be enraged. Albus didn't catch the stream of hexes and jinxes hurled at his shield it was all he could do to keep it up.

The students had gathered around in a circle, cheering them on. Rose and Scorpius were trying to help Albus, but they couldn't get close, with all of the rebounding spells. Albus was gritting his teeth with the effort, but he was feeling that familiar anger rising up from deep within him where it had its lair.

He heard Professor Pharrel's whistle from all the way across the hall. He was calling out something as he tried to get through the students, but Albus focused on holding his shield.

The volcanic rage that seemed to be a constant companion to Albus these days finally roared up from the depths of his soul. He readied himself to drop his shield and blast Liam back with a Reducto at the floor in front of him. He could see himself disarming him with Expelliarmus. He would stalk through the rubble, point both wands in Liam's face, and demanded he yield. He smiled fiercely as he prepared to make Liam wish he had never messed with Albus Potter!

Liam and Albus' wands shot out of their hands.

Professor Pharrel moved into their line of sight, holding their wands. "I think we have done enough for this evening. Class dismissed, except for Misters Potter and Donovan." The red-faced man was unusually pale. "I need a word with you, boys."

Albus didn't see Rose and Scorpius leave. He stared at the wand, in his trembling hand, a single question reverberating in his mind.

If Professor Pharrel hadn't stopped Liam, what would I have done?

-

The next bit was a blur to Albus as they followed Pharrel up the curling escalator stairs, past a bickering Felix and Felicis. They sat in the Headmaster's office. All of the portraits were awake and gossiping with each other, except Albus Dumbledore and Snape, who were studying the two boys. He got the feeling that Snape never participated unless he was talking to Dumbledore.

Albus sunk down in his chair as he watched Professor Pharrel wander around the office, nervously humming to himself. He wished the man would stop. It was getting rather annoying.

He glanced to the side at Liam. The other boy sat in his chair, stock-still, his hands on the arms staring straight ahead with a contented smile on his face. He even sits creepy!

The thing that frightened Albus the most wasn't that Liam attacked him, it was that he almost retaliated. He didn't think the other boy knew how close he came to being mopped up off the floor by Growltooth. The question he posed to himself in that strange dream crept into his mind.

What am I becoming?

This time, however, it was accompanied by another question.

Do I like what I am becoming?

"Thank you gentlemen for waiting."

They all turned as Professor Shacklebolt swept in. In his wake were all of the first year professors. Professor Bast glanced at Albus with kind eyes. Uncle Neville just looked conflicted.

Shacklebolt returned all of the portrait greetings, as he waited for everyone to settle.

His deep resonating voice broke into the silence. "What we have here, is a serious problem. We have two students who are a danger to themselves and other students, whether they mean to be or not. We need to address this now before some upperclassman, or another first year decides to try their luck."

The other professors nodded in agreement.

Shacklebolt waited a moment. "I am open to suggestions."

Professor Flint was the first to speak. "Well, the obvious choice would be to confiscate their wands."

Albus' heart fell. He had just gotten used to his wand, feeling pride in it. It had become a part of him as much as one of his arms. Liam looked like he was going to be ill.

Professor Bast broke the silence. "I have seen too much progress from Mr. Potter to concur with that. I think it would damage his schooling. After all, he was the one attacked.

Albus glanced over at Liam. He saw that the other boy was staring resignedly at the floor. Albus got one of his "creepy boy" moments. He realized that Liam thought there was no one to defend him. 

Albus cleared his throat. The professors turned to him.

"Actually," he squeaked, he cleared his throat again before continuing, "I was thinking that, if professor Pharrel hadn't have interfered, it would have been bad."

Professor Pharrel spoke up, "Bad? How do you mean."

Albus felt his heart up in his throat. "I have been having, uncontrolled fits of rage. I had one just before the professor stepped in. I was going to retaliate."

Liam scoffed.

Shacklebolt's eyes bored into Liam. "When I agreed to accept you at Hogwarts, it was with the understanding that you would blend in, and cause no trouble. Some of those rebounding hexes and jinxes you used could have hurt someone."

Liam dropped his eyes, staring at his hands.

"How did a first year learn all of that?" Professor Pharrel asked.

Shacklebolt shook his head, saving that discussion for a more private time.

Uncle Neville spoke up for the first time. "I think we have two different problems here, calling for two different solutions."

"Go on."

Neville studied the two boys a moment before continuing. "We have one boy here, who knows too much. In addition, we have another boy here who knows too little, both are now targets for anyone who wants to try them. My suggestion is this. Both of them need supervision, one-on-one, by a professor. Albus needs to learn how to defend himself. Liam needs to learn to resolve his conflicts without pulling out his wand. The professor in question, will keep the wand between classes, and determine if the student has a need in between. Later, if that professor decides that the student is in a better place, he may decide to give the wand back. We will let the school know, that since these two students are unable to defend themselves, any attacks on their person will be punished severely.

Shacklebolt leaned back in his chair. He glanced up at the centremost portrait and saw Albus Dumbledore nod. "Very well, who will be the mentors?"

Professor Patil spoke up first. "I would like to mentor Liam, if that is acceptable."

Professor Pharrel was about to speak up for Albus, but Albus was imagining days of boring, dry lessons, reading books and being right where he started.

"I would like Professor Longbottom to mentor me if that's alright," he blurted.

He saw a look of irritation cross Professor Pharrel's face before it settled back into its usual joviality.

Shacklebolt and Neville exchanged a look. Then both nodded.

Shacklebolt sighed wearily. "These two professors will determine your schedule, and take the wands with them tonight. Any failure to follow their instruction will result with immediate expulsion. I just can't take the risk of you two running loose with your abilities, unchecked. Am I understood?"

Albus and Liam nodded.

The two students rose and handed their wands to their perspective professor, and left.

They walked down the corridor in silence. Albus had to know.

"Why did you attack me?" he demanded.

Liam just favoured him with another unsettling smile. "At the Sorting, you were the only one of the sheep that realized that there was a wolf in their midst. Someday, I might need someone to stop me. I had to know if you were the one."

With that, he turned and walked up another hall.

Albus, stunned, watched him go.
Chapter Endnotes: In the HP universe I am just the street vendor, I'm not worthy to tie JK's shoe laces. In other words I am not JK!