Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Year of the Badger by Sly One

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Some believe this chapter is the heart of the book. It has become the name of the series on it's fandom wiki site. I never imagined it would have this impact but I have to say it is one of my favorites. ***lucilla_pauie to mod please*** 

The mids came and went with Scorpius and Rose getting straight O's. Rose flipped when she saw the scores, though. It turned out that she was not going to be able to fulfil her father's wish to "beat him at every test, Rosie", after all. She eventually took it in stride, but she stuck her tongue out at him every time he brought it up, which was often. It was something new about which to bicker.

Albus was happy to see he got a lot of E's, but an O in Potions, Herbology and most surprisingly, Transfiguration. Uncle Neville's tutoring really paid off.

November was almost over when the Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff match came around.

The game the previous year had been a travesty, since the Sisters, suspended for the duration, were not there to help. Diana, who held a grudge against Ravenclaw for taking advantage and running up the score against the sisterless Hufflepuff, was especially intense.

She suggested a Muggle technique during one of the practices, called visualization. They never even touched a broom. They just sat in the stands, supposedly imagining their actions during the game. She walked them through it.

"Chasers, imagine the many ways you can get the Quaffle through the hoops. Remember those formations I have been showing you. Roderick, imagine what kind of offence you're going to see, and how you can block it. Sisters, you are hitting the Bludgers at the Ravenclaw Chaser line, imagine their faces, and make sure you follow through. Scorpius, Lilith is the best at Hogwarts; imagine ways of faking her out and getting to the Snitch first.

It all broke up after a few minutes of awkward silence, when Albus' stomach growled. They started to snigger. Diana's glares could not stop the chain reaction. Corny spoke up, "That's not a Quaffle you're imagining, Potter, that's a dinner roll!"

That was it. They all were laughing. Diana left in a huff, throwing her hands in the air. They exchanged a nod through mirth-filled eyes and followed her stiff, retreating form back up to the castle, and dinner.

The next few practices, she made them all pay for it. Diana had Albus play Lilith Leblanc in some simulations, since he had the same broom.  The Nimbus Millennium, in spite of being slower than the SkyBolt, really was the best well-rounded broom on the market. It had no weak spots.

Scorpius still managed to grab the Snitch before Albus, but that had more to do with Albus not being a true Seeker than the broom. Every time Albus spotted the Snitch first, he got there first. The results of the simulation were not promising. From Scorpius' dejected demeanour, he knew it as well.

Lilith was not like Sloan, lazy, or incompetent. She was a Snitch catching machine, with a guaranteed place on the Holyhead Harpies after she left Hogwarts in a year. Scorpius was not going to defeat her with cheap tricks. He was simply going to have to hope he saw the Snitch first, and was closer to it.

The match rolled around that Saturday, the last day of November.

In the Great Hall that morning, Albus ate a good breakfast, managing somehow to calm his nerves enough.

It helped that James and Fred were not presently on speaking terms, so they didn't collaborated on a game day prank.

Roarke swept in, causing some ooo's from female students at his perfect white plumage. He dropped a letter from home, and aristocratically stared at Albus, until he remembered to feed the arrogant bird a bit of sausage off his plate. No toast for Roarke, mind you, that bird was spoilt!

After Roarke nipped his finger affectionately and took off, Albus tore into the letter eagerly.

Dear Albus,

Good luck on your game today! Your dad and I are proud of you. (Me especially, my boy is finally taking after me in something!) Lils and Kreacher say hi.

James sent Loki with a note about what happened during the Gryffindor/Ravenclaw match. His teammates are not too pleased with him, so if you get a chance, remind your brother that his family will always stand behind him. (Don't make that face!)

Albus guiltily stopped crinkling his nose in disgust. That woman was scary sometimes! Honestly!

Again, good luck on your game! Beat Ravenclaw. Know your dad and I are thinking of you.

You're still my little boy. (Don't roll your eyes!)

Mum

P.S. Lils wants you to know she misses you very, very much, and wants to be sure you aren't killed today. However, if you do, she wants you to know your room will be in good hands, as a haven for her dollies.

 

Albus smiled.

He turned to the Gryffindor table and saw James down at the end, eating by himself. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

For you, Mum, he said to himself.

He left the letter, picked up his food, explained what he was doing to Scorpius and Rose, got up and crossed the aisle seating himself down beside his brother.

James looked up from his kippers with a sullen look on his face. "What do you want?"

Albus gave him calm eyes. "Some of that Red Currant jam for my toast will do for starters," he explained, indicating the jar on the other side of James.

James brusquely slid it over.

Albus slathered the jam on a piece of toast for himself and one for James, but he added some butter just like his brother liked it. He put it on a napkin and slid it over.

James did not acknowledge it at first. Then he grabbed it and jammed half of it in his mouth. Giving Albus a crusty smile dripping jam the way that used to make Albus laugh so hard he nearly puked when they were younger.

Albus sniggered and they ate in silence. Fred slid in with his plate. "It's the end of the world. Look at it, dogs and cats!" he murmured with a smile. The rest of the cousins followed suit, even a rumpled, morning/evil Rose.

Not a word spoken, but wounds closed in the companionable silence.

As he and Scorpius changed into their black Quidditch robes later, Scorpius remarked, "All better?"

Albus nodded.

Scorpius was thoughtful for a moment. "Your brother seems like he would be a good guy if he would quit trying so hard."

Albus shrugged. "You're right. He is a good guy, when he's not being a Centaur's arse. Don't tell Rose I said that. She'd jinx me for being racist toward Centaurs!"

They sniggered and followed Diana out.

The game turned into a bigger blood bath than the one against Slytherin.

Ravenclaw showed a determination not to lose like the last game, and sent Hufflepuff reeling from the onslaught.

Isla and Ashton were vicious with their Bludger hits. Eliot, Jay and Holly were using more formations than Albus had ever thought possible, actually scoring on Roderick several times.

Victoire's commentary was spotty as usual, interspersed with Flint's growl for her to stop manicuring her nails, but when she called, Ravenclaw 80-Hufflepuff 20, there was a collective groan from the crowd.

Albus' heart sank, the thought was yammering in his mind; we're going to lose, badly!

That was when he heard some familiar voices cheering. His eyes scanned the crowd, and he was so shocked to see James leading his cousins, he nearly fell off his broom.

A new determination gripped him. He saw in the eyes of his older teammates that they were falling back into the old bottom-of-the-heap mentality.  Albus suddenly remembered that day with the illusionary dragon, how he had turned the tables. He only needed a spark to get him mad enough.

He looked up at the Ravenclaw captain and Keeper, Elanor Ferraro, and saw her smirk derisively like Hufflepuff was not even there and they were going to run up the score again. That was all he needed, rage filled him, but he did not fight it this time, he embraced it.

He called for the Quaffle, and Diana got it to him.

He kicked his broom into high gear and blasted through the Beater line.

He took stinging shots from Isla, but not very hard compared to the shots he took in practice from the Sisters. Ashton, however, did not react, glancing over at Isla; indecisive, just like the scouting report.

Albus came into range. For him, and with a roar, he unleashed the hardest Quaffle throw he had in him, Elanor so cowed by the velocity, dived out of the way with no attempt at blocking.

He missed the centre ring, but the point made. He swung back around, and saw that the team, which had been desperate and demoralized a few moments before, now looked determined.

Years of losing sloughed off like a snakeskin. Diana called out a formation, and Corny swept up, taking the left wing.

It was not long before Victoire had to put down her nail file, and call some scores.

"Oh dear! Look at those black Badgers go! I must say that colour is certainly intimidating!

"Miss Weasley, this is not a fashion show!"

"Sorry! Another score by Diana Delaney! Oh my! The Sisters absolutely tattooed Elliot Durnin, literally! I think he's going to have an impression of that Bludger for a year! I don't condone tattoos, but I have often thought of getting a wolf on my...."

"Miss Weasley!"

"I was going to say ankle, honestly! Hufflepuff 90 Ravenclaw 80!"

Albus and Diana shrugged off accurate Bludger hits and rained Quaffles on Elanor, with Corny decoying the Beaters, and taking some hits as well. The team seem transformed; Ravenclaw was the one on their heels.

It was then that Scorpius saw the Snitch, and dived.

A thrill went through Albus heart when he realized that Scorpius was closer than Lilith, who was on the opposite side of the pitch!

She let out an ear-splitting cry and dived as well. Scorpius realizing that she was faster, adjusted his dive to a suicidal angle to gain speed, so much that Albus was terrified for him. The Twigger 99 might have been a slow broom, but it showed its manoeuvrability when Scorpius managed to pull it up at last second.  He was going to have grass stains on his robes. They both closed in on the Snitch, Lilith showing she had ice water in her veins as she was still diving.

Suddenly, at the last second, two things happened. Albus saw a quick flash of red and Lilith smacked into the ground hard, at the same time Scorpius caught the Snitch. He was past her so he did not see her hit.

Krum signalled the end of the game, and then he saw Lilith on the ground with her broomstick sticking out of the earth.

Albus swept down, as Scorpius realized why everyone was so quiet. He turned and flew back.

Lilith was not moving, her long white hair was over her face and she did not seem to be moving. Her teammates swirled around her calling her name.

Albus had seen that flash of red before. It was a stunning spell. His eyes swept the stands, but everyone was on their feet, so he could not see if anyone was stowing a wand away. Professor Pharrel was animatedly discussing something with Professor Bast, and Professor Flint was actually comforting Victoire who had not even announced the final score in her concern. Shacklebolt looked grave.

Madam Pomfrey was rushing out on the field; no one else was moving or leaving the stands. Most of the crowd were holding their breath.

Then, with no other sign of stirring, Lilith just sat up. She blithely asked stunned people around her, if she caught the Snitch. They stammered no. She shrugged and wandered off in the direction of the tunnel with Madam Pomfrey scolding her to head straight to the Hospital Wing.

The breath everyone seemed to be holding was let out in a cheer, as much for Hufflepuff as for Lilith being ok. He did not see any sign that anyone else had seen that flash of red; everyone else must have been watching Scorpius.

Victoire announced joyously, "Lilith is okay! Hufflepuff wins! 240-80. Look out Gryffindor, I must say!"

Before her pronouncement faded away, the crowd mobbed Albus and Scorpius, Albus saw Madam Pomfrey pause at the professors' grandstand to give Headmaster Shacklebolt a piece of her mind. She was really letting him have it.

Albus accepted his cousins' and his brother's congratulations as he made his way to the tunnel, trying to pass within earshot of the livid Madam Pomfrey.

She was loud enough he had no trouble hearing their discussion.

"You need to shut down the entire Quidditch program; I don't care how long this school has had one! If Lilith's grandmother had not been a Banshee, I'd be notifying her parents right now! No, I don't have any idea why she passed out."

The rest of her words were lost as Albus entered the tunnel.

If she knew that about Lilith's special background, she must know about Cormac being part Leprechaun! He thought as he changed his robes. As he hung up his kit, another thought made him freeze.

All of the staff must know. They would have to inform them for medical reasons!

On the heels of that thought, he had to sit down on the bench when a big puzzle piece fell into place.

The person that Imperiused Cormac, would have to be a staff member!

Albus hurriedly dressed and rushed up to the castle, managing to catch up to Professor Pharrel.

"Professor." Albus called.

The smiling man paused and waited for him to catch up.

"Albus! How is my star Chaser doing?"

Albus was a little in for breath by the time he got to the professor, but he managed to gasp, "I know what happened to Lilith."

Professor Pharrel immediately looked alarmed. "What are you babbling about young man?"

"She was stunned! I saw the red flash!" he insisted.

Pharrel smiled benevolently. "She had a nasty fall, that's all, Albus. If she were stunned, the whole stadium would have seen it. Now go enjoy your victory. If it will make you feel better, I'll tell the Headmaster your theory. We don't want to start a panic do we?"

Albus nodded glumly, and watched as the professor walked through the gate and out of sight.

Albus got the message. He was on his own.

He reached into his pocket; sure enough, the coin was there again. The person who he was supposed to confront had nearly killed Lilith. What could possibly be the reason? It did not make any sense. Confirmed was the fact that whoever it was, they were playing for keeps, and Albus was in way over his head. He trudged the rest of the way to the castle in the cheering throng, but he did not join them.

When Albus woke up that Sunday stiff, in pain with Quaffle bruises all over his chest and back, after tossing and turning all night, he felt like a bit of a morning walk to clear his head. His heart was still heavy from the revelations of the night before. When he had finally reached The Cellar last night, he had been the last to arrive at the celebration, and the first to leave it.

He bundled up quietly to not disturb his bunkmates or Kublai, and slipped out into the Common Room

It was warm and toasty in The Cellar, as usual. At class, he had noticed that Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Slytherins all complained about the drafts in their towers and the dankness of the dungeon. They usually showed up shivering and eyeing the Hufflepuffs suspiciously, as they always came in looking comfortable.

Water and air does not insulate, earth does. Add in the fact that the painting that served as the entrance to the corridor to The Cellar came out into the kitchen, the Hufflepuffs always stayed toasty until they got into the rest of the castle.

The one drawback to the comfort was the lack of outside windows. This caused the Badgers to be a bit out of touch with the outside of the castle.

Albus was in for a surprise. He waved at the happily busy little elves as he walked through the kitchen and up the staircase into the cavernous entrance hall. The early morning light drifting in from the windows several stories up had a strange bright quality that he knew immediately.

He dashed across the massive hallway and out into the west wing breezeway, his eyeballs, nearly blasted out of his head by the whiteness.

As far as the eye could see, it was a crystalline, pristine snowscape. The Forbidden Forest did not even seem that forbidden in the soft early morning glow.

Albus sighed contentedly as he took in the monochromatic beauty. He was so far over his head, and he felt so alone with this knowledge. That damnable coin was cold in his pocket, even though he knew he had left it under his pillow. What was he going to do?

"It won't last you know."

Albus started from the unexpected voice. He turned to see Professor Flint leaning against one of the columns, contentedly puffing a pipe.

"Good morning, professor. You gave me a fright."

Flint's dark eyes dissected him in silence for a moment or two. "I was already here, Mr. Potter, your lack of awareness of your surroundings is what gave you the fright."

Albus was always wary of the professor, he always felt like there was more going on in that mind then just potions. Even though the man, never unpleasant without purpose, was a good teacher, it was still hard for Albus to not feel the constant scrutiny.

"You're right. I'm sorry professor."

Flint shrugged. I was just out gathering some of the very first snow of the year. That happens to be a valuable potion ingredient, and enjoying the crisp air. Might I inquire as to why you are up this early on a Sunday?"

Albus shrugged."Just couldn't sleep, and fancied a walk, that's all."

Flint studied him for a few moments more. "Have you ever thought to ask your father about Lily Evans, and her Potions ability?"

Albus suddenly remembered that conversation the first day of school. "I'm sorry, professor. I forgot."

Flint nodded as if this was expected. "Well, Mr. Potter, if you were to, perhaps, take your walk down this corridor, and were to, perchance, take the next two lefts, you might find yourself in a massive trophy room. I believe the answer you seek is in the fifth case to your right as you enter, third shelve from the top. Have a good morning Mr. Potter; enjoy the snow before the rest of the students find it. I, however, will be brewing Pepper-up potion for the remainder of the day."

With a swirl of black robes, Professor Flint swept by, leaving a cloud of cherry-scented tobacco in his wake.

Albus had resolved not to follow the professor's instruction, but desperate for a distraction, his curiosity got the best of him. Soon he was walking down the indicated hallway.

He was usually terrified of getting lost and winding up in one of Growltooth's nightly corridor traps, but he managed to find the massive oak-panelled Trophy room in due course.

A quick sweep of the dark oak shelving in the trophy case in question, filled with awards from the year 1978. It seemed that Gryffindor won the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup both that year. His first shock came when he saw the list of players.

"James Potter, Chaser," he murmured. He immediately felt a connection to his grandfather.  "Just like me," Albus remarked to himself with a small smile. His eyes kept scanning, resting on a plaque listing three students cited for potions excellence, for successfully brewing Felix's Felicia for N.E.W.T. extra credit. A Professor Horace Slughorn gave the plaque. Albus traced the names through the glass.

Severus Snape

Cyrus Dillinger

Lily Evans

"Severus Snape knew my grandmother?" Albus murmured. His eyes kept roaming until they rested on the plaque bearing the names of the Head Boy and Girl.

James Potter

Lily Evans

There it was. The information Professor Flint wanted him to have. His grandmother had to have been Lily Evans, before she was Lily Potter. It was right there in front of him, waiting all this time.

She was good in Potions. I am good in Potions. Grandfather was a Chaser. I am a Chaser.

"Maybe I'm not an accident," Albus informed himself in awed tones.

He had heard about his Grandfather being a Chaser and a Quidditch star before, and stories about how his Grandmum could not stand him, but then how he came around eventually, (usually when Dad was trying to get Mum to not abandon James at the nearest orphanage!). That his Grandmum's maiden name was Evans, and she was tops in Potions that was new. He reread the Potions plaque again;

Why didn't dad tell me my namesake and my Grandmum knew each other, and why does Professor Flint want me to know about it?

The questions Albus had for his dad were beginning to pile up!

He traced the names through the case with his finger with reverence for the next half hour before he heard some students talking excitedly echoing up the corridors. The spell was broken; he retraced his steps heading to the Great Hall.

A silvery form happily bounced out of the wall ahead of him, it was the rotund House Ghost of Hufflepuff.

"Why hello, young Master Potter!" he called out joyfully.

"Hello, er, Mister Friar," Albus ventured carefully.

The ghost chuckled. "Oh, you can call me Fat Friar, I've had a few years to get used to my shape you know!"

Albus could not help but smile. "I'm sorry, sir, it just sounds rude to me."

The Friar glanced around comically, and then waved Albus over. "Just between us early risers, you may call me Father Thomas, if you like."

Albus grinned. "Sure, Father Thomas," he answered a stage wink by the Friar, with one of his own.

"So what's disturbing you young Master Potter? No student would be wandering these halls on a Sunday morning that is sleeping well. You can trust me. I have been keeping secrets since before I died."

Albus considered the offer for a second. "Thanks for the offer, but I've got to work this out on my own. No offence."

The ghostly friar looked appalled. "Of course not! You cannot offend me!"

Albus smiled and started past, the Friar stopped him with a gentle spectral hand that made his shoulder tingle as if dipped in the snow out on the grounds. "If I may, can I offer one word of advice?"

Albus nodded.

Father Thomas sunk through the floor until his eyes were even with Albus. "I have watched your family for a few generations now. Your father, and his father before him, took great comfort from his friends. I have seen you with yours; you seem stronger when you are with them. Tell them. Let them help you with this problem."

He seem to be deep in thought for a moment then quoted, "There is a verse in a great Muggle book, that I think an awful lot of, that might help. If one prevails against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12. You are not a Gryffindor, you are a Hufflepuff, as such you can always ask for help. I'll always be around if you need to talk."

He waved over his shoulder as he drifted off, greeting another early rising student as he faded into the wall further down the corridor.

What is an Ecclesiastes? Albus wondered. Those words did seem powerful, spoken with some great authority. A threefold cord is not quickly broken. He, Rose and Scorpius were three.

He is right, I am a Hufflepuff, it's time I stopped acting like a Gryffindor.

Albus had to ask one person's permission first.

He found Cormac eating breakfast listening to Gas prattle on about Harry Potter in the Tri-Wizard tournament; they were evidentially up to the rescue under the lake.

"Cormac, can I have a word?"

They walked away a few steps out of earshot. Cormac would not budge on telling Rose and Scorpius about his heritage.

"It's na that I don wan to," he explained. "It's tha I can't unless they've figured it out for themselves, like you did. I have an onus on me that prevents it, it's on you as well, you canna tell them either, unless they already suspect."

Albus glanced at Scorpius and Rose. They were eating breakfast, happily arguing in low tones.

Cormac looked apologetic. "I know I got ya inta this, if they know, the onus is abated and you can tell them everything, but na before, those two are the smartest in our class, they might surprise ya. " He nodded and walked back to Gas. Gas started right back with the explanation of Gillyweed.

Albus sat down between Rose and Scorpius, who were debating whether to go out into the snow later.

"I have to ask you something."

They looked at each other, and then Rose said, "So you've decided to stop playing martyr already? I thought you'd milk it at least another day or so!" She and Scorpius rolled their eyes comically.

Albus glared at them. "What do you know about Cormac, or at least what do you suspect."

They exchanged another glance. Rose said, "Oh, do you mean about how he's really way undersized to be eleven?"

Scorpius chimed in, "Or that he has the reddest hair I have ever seen on a bloke, almost orange?"

Rose answered, "Or that his ears have a bit of a point on them, and he has the thickest Irish accent I have ever heard, nearly Gaelic?"

Scorpius added, "Or that he is stronger and faster than a boy his size and age should be?"

Rose crinkled her nose cutely. "It's obvious, he's part Leprechaun, Albus, and we figured it out ages ago. How many times have I told you that you should read Aunt Looney and Uncle Newt's revised Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them, seriously."

Albus smiled, relieved. Cormac was right; he had underestimated them.

To introduce the topic he pulled the coin out and placed it in front of Scorpius.

Scorpius took one look, "That's Leprechaun gold, mate. It will be gone by sundown. I'm a Malfoy, I know my gold!"

Albus sighed. "I wish it would, but I'm pretty sure it won't."

They stared at him concerned, but eager.

So it begins, one becomes three, Albus thought.

 

Chapter Endnotes: I am not JK if I were I would be short a few million dollars. (SIGH!)