Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hermione's Part Time Job by Midnight_Unicorn

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry that it took so long! I started college, if that's any excuse. R and R, if you will!
Chapter Two: The First Day

A fire crackled merrily in the grate, filling the Gryffindor common room with warmth. Some students chatted and laughed while others skimmed through textbooks of worked at homework. One tall and red headed boy sat alone on a couch facing the blazing fireplace, looking up frequently and scanning the room nervously. When the Fat Lady’s portrait swung open to reveal a bushy haired witch carrying a black book bag, he instantly rushed over to her. He gallantly relieved her of the book bag and escorted her to the seat he had just vacated.

“How did it go, Hermione? Did my brother give you a job?”

“It went fine, Ron, and yes I did get the job. It’s just that…” Hermione’s voice trailed away.

“Just that what? If my stupid brother did anything to you I swear I’ll-“ Ron looked positively furious at the idea of George doing anything to Hermione.

Hermione sighed tiredly, reached down to her book bag, pulled out a parchment, quill, and book, and began working at an essay. “It’s nothing like that, Ron. The only thing I’m worried about is that George gave me the job without a complete interview. He only asked when I could come in to work.”

“That’s not a bad thing, Hermione. I mean, obviously George realizes that you are a competent witch and he wants you in his shop.”

“I just don’t want to take the job unfairly.”

“It’s perfectly fair!”

Hermione continued to scratch away on her paper while she replied. “Let’s just not talk about it. Obviously I have a job now and I don’t want to argue with you about if it is fair or not.”

The pair sat in silence for a minute, Hermione working, Ron staring into the fire. He appeared to be trying to work up the courage to say something, his mouth working silently as if practicing exactly the right words to use. Finally an audible sound escaped his mouth.

“Hermione,” he began nervously. “I have something that I’ve been wanting to talk to you about.”

“Yes?” Hermione’s gaze remained focused on her homework.

“It’s about me and, well, you.” Ron was slowly turning a dark shade of red.

Hermione suddenly looked up, startled. “What did you say?”

“I was just going to say, that um, you and I, we should, well I was wondering if you would…”

“Yes?” Hermione gave Ron her full attention, her eyes eagerly searching his face.

Ron took a deep breath and then let it out. “I was just wondering if you would let me look over your essay when you’re done with it.”

The excited look in Hermione’s eyes abruptly vanished and was replaced by one of disappointment, followed by one of anger. “Ronald Weasley, I’ve told you a thousand times that I won’t let you cheat off of me this year. Now I am going to take the object of your desire and leave.” With those words she rose, snatched up the essay, turned on her heel and stormed out, radiating fury.

****************************************************

George Weasley was stocking shelves when the bell on the door rang and Hermione entered.

“Hi, Hermione! How are you doing?” George straightened up and turned to face her.

“I’m fine, George, thank you for asking. I am ready to start my jobs. What are they?”

George walked to his desk and removed a neatly lettered sheet of parchment that he had place there earlier that day. “I have them right here, actually.” He handed her the list and watched as she inspected it.

“I’ll get right to work,” she informed him. She took the list out of George’s hand and headed toward the back storeroom.

Half an hour later, George entered the storeroom to check on Hermione. To his surprise it was totally unrecognizable. Where leaning towers of crates and tilting piles of pranks usually loomed menacingly there were neat and balanced stacks. The shelves usually resembled the toy chest of a three year old, with items tossed everywhere and in no sort of order whatsoever. Hermione had taken the jumbled mess onto the floor and started on an organization crusade. The first shelf was neatly labeled as Fainting Fancies, Nosebleed Nougats and Puking Pastilles. In George’s mind, it was a miracle.

“Wow. I haven’t had the courage to try and make any kind of order in here for years. It’s just gotten worse and worse, but now…wow.” ‘

Hermione's cheeks grew a blush at the praise but brushed it off. “It was nothing, George. I just can’t work in a place where I can’t find anything without a Summoning Charm, so I decided to take the project into my own hands. I hope you don’t mind it.”

George stared awestruck at Hermione. “Don’t mind it? I knew there was a good reason to hire you!”

The bell on the door at the front of the shop rang, signaling the arrival of another customer. George excused himself and went to assist them, leaving Hermione to her huge project of making order out of the storeroom.

As soon as he was gone, Hermione sat back down in the midst of all the pranks, potions, and jokes to think as she moved things into piles. As usual her mind immediately brought up the thought of Ron. The stupid boy couldn’t seem to get the hint that she was interested in him. How was she ever going to get it through his head? She had thought he had finally figured it out on Friday night, but she was wrong.

Hermione sighed. If Ron wasn’t interested in her, who could it be? Maybe Luna Lovegood, Lavender Brown, or Hannah Abbot? But none of those girls seemed like they would be Ron’s type. But then again, what did she know about Ron’s type? In her mind the only girl for him would be herself, which made her just a little bit biased.

Hermione gave up trying to figure out the mysterious male mind and stood back up. The storeroom wasn’t going to clean itself after all.

*******************************************************************

George exited the storeroom and strode toward the front of the shop, looking for the customer who had opened the door. When he didn’t see anyone, he was puzzled. He looked around, shrugged, and was about to go back to his work when someone stepped out from behind a shelf and covered his eyes.

“Guess who?”

George smiled. He had heard that voice before.

“Is it Katie Bell? Alicia Spinnet? Or is it that other girl who used to be a Chaser, what’s her name again? Oh yes, Angelina Johnson. I think that’s the one.”

Angelina smiled mischievously and removed her hands. “That is the correct answer. And for that you get a reward.” She spun George around and kissed him.

‘I like that reward, Miss Johnson. May I have another? I have been a very good boy lately.”

Angelina laughed and tousled his hair. “I don’t think so, Mr. Weasley. For one thing, employers aren’t supposed to kiss in front of employees.”

George spun around, expecting to see Hermione, but no one was there.

“Ha! Made you look!”

“Angelina, I haven’t played that game since I was a first year at Hogwarts. Don’t you think we’re just a little too old for it?” George smiled in spite of the stern face he was trying to present.

“The owner of joke shop should know that no one is ever too old for anything.”

“I suppose that’s right. Wouldn’t Hermione let me have it if she did see us kissing on business hours though?”

Angelina laughed at the thought. “She would really be furious. Hey, do you think I can take you out for dinner tonight? If I know you, you haven’t found time to eat yet. I know that you’ve been really busy since Fred left.”

George threw up his hands. “What can I say? You know me too well. I’ll go as soon as I lock up the store tonight.”

“By the way, how’s Hermione? Is she going out with your brother yet?”

“Hermione? With Ron? Why would they be going out?”

“Honestly, George, I thought you would have noticed by now that Hermione has a huge crush on Ron! But don’t tell her I said that, she’d probably be really embarrassed. Anyway, I’ll see you tonight. Bye!’

Angelina turned and left the shop, leaving George with a new revelation about his employee and his youngest brother. Who would have thought that Hermione would want Ron? George had never even considered the two together. He shrugged and turned to serve two real customers who had just entered the shop. Hermione was perfectly capable of taking care of herself. If Ron was who she wanted, he was certain that Ron was who she would get. And if that was who Hermione wanted, who was he to stop her?
Chapter Endnotes: Leave a review? The next chapter won't take so long, I promise.