Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Marissa and the Wizards by JCCollier

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Marissa doesn't want trouble but it finds her again, while what she wants most she can't seem to find at all.

The first weeks of April passed with Marissa still unable to make her wand do any magic. She was almost happy that she wouldn’t have to use it in her midnight stargazing class.

–You have to stay here,” she whispered strictly as she tucked Mirioby in and laid the pink backpack by her pillow. –If I take you to Astronomy, the Marzles will try to eat you!” He closed his eyes again before she left to follow the other first-years down from the tree. Marissa hoped his strange new dream would not interrupt her during constellation study.

Tatiane Timbira led them through the rainforest to the clearing, where the Macaws joined Professor Galaxia and a line of Anaconda classmates. The rainclouds had cleared and Marissa’s eyes caught sight of a tiny owl sailing silently through the star-filled night sky. Then she winced, but did not cry out, as she felt her hair pulled by someone running by.

–Give it back, Cristiano!” Mario shouted at the boy who had grabbed her pink hair ribbon with the silver charm and ran ahead in the darkness. He chased after him.

–Ugh!” Mario cried out as he fell violently to the hard stone pathway when Fer Ribeiro stuck out a leg to trip him.

–What’s going on there?” Professor Galaxia called from the head of the line.

–I… fell over a root,” Mario replied to show Cristiana and Fer that he wasn’t a baby who needed a professor to defend him.

–Ignore them like Marissa does,” Mario’s friend Jaci said as he helped him up. –He’ll just throw the ribbon on a tree branch later.”

–Stupid Condas think they own the whole school just ‘cuz they’re in Quidditch reserves.” Mario was so upset that he didn’t even notice his torn robe or the scrape across his cheek. –I wish I could steal their dumb team caps and throw those in a tree!”

On the path ahead, Cristiano and Fer had caught up with the other laughing Anacondas. Their teasing never hurt her, but Marissa did not like that they had tormented Mario in Brooms class all week. Maybe he couldn’t take the caps from the stronger boys, but…

–Tesimal,” she whispered, knowing the tiny owl nearby could hear the slightest of sounds. As she hoped, he glided from the blackness to her outstretched hand a moment later.

–His hat, his hat,” she quietly told the little bird, patting her head to act out the words. Perched upon her finger, Tesimal observed intently as she pointed out Cristiano Ferreira.

–What are you…” Jaci held back his question as he watched Tesimal fly from Marissa’s hand. The owl glided over the line of Macaw first-years, then soundlessly swooped down to snatch the green cap from Cristiano’s head.

–Hey!” Cristiano yelled as he saw his hat floating away into the night. –You stupid owl!” He chased after the escaping cap as everyone turned to look and some started laughing. Tesimal glided low across the ground and dropped the cap onto something in the grass. Cristiano swore softly as he ran off the stone path and bent down to retrieve it.

–Dang!” As Cristiano tried to stand back up, his feet slid from under him and he landed squarely on his behind. The cap, with his hand upon it, was still right where it had fallen.

–Mr. Ferreira, what are you doing?” asked Professor Galaxia, who had turned to look.

–Some runt owl stole my cap! Now it’s…” He yanked at the cap, but seemed unable to loose it from some object beneath it, or from his hand. –I’m stuck on… a mango?”

Jaci Erasmi began laughing so loudly that frightened birds fluttered away in the night. –It’s Mappy’s fruit!” he exclaimed. –You touched it when you grabbed your cap.”

–I did not!”

–I’m afraid he’s right,” stated Galaxia, who inspected the mango with her glowing wand before shining its light upon a huge grey beast hanging in a tree some twenty yards away. –Your cap has fallen on Mapinguary’s breakfast.”

–She did it!” Cristiano shouted and pointed at Marissa. –de Calha made that owl trap me!”

–Nonsense! The owl mistook the cap for food, then dropped it when he saw it wasn’t.”

–It’s your own fault for stealing Marissa’s ribbon!” Jaci Erasmi added.

–Take it, then!” Cristiano said, throwing the pink ribbon toward Marissa with his free hand.

–I’ll notify your House Leaders of your situation,” Galaxia stated. –Move on now, class.”

–You’re… you’re just going to leave me?” Cristiano asked nervously.

–Unfortunately, there is no spell to counter a Slothish sticking charm.”

–But… there’s wild animals out here.”

–Any that attack will be stuck to the fruit along with you,” she answered calmly. –The Mapinguary’s charm will release you when he wakes up to eat… sometime after dawn.”

Cristiano glared at Marissa as the class was led away through the darkness.

–That was great!” Mario whispered gleefully.

–I didn’t tell Tesimal to put his cap on the mango!” Marissa tried to explain. But it was the only piece of fruit in the clearing. Did the tiny owl really on purpose drop the cap there?

She glanced back at Cristiano trapped alone in the darkness. –What if wild animals do…”

–Don’t worry,” Jaci told her. –Repelling charms keep big predators off school grounds.”

–But it’d be cool if a real anaconda came and swallowed that one!” Mario added.

Soon they entered the vine-circled stone doorway of the Astronomy tower. From the circling stairway above, Celestia Bella de Barros and her followers looked down upon Marissa. It was very clear that they blamed her for Cristiano being trapped.

–You’re going to get it now,” Fer threatened. –You’ll be sorry you attacked the Condas again, Marissa de Calha!”

-------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning Marissa came to the Macaw common room to find Milo and Tatiane at a tall window, watching a huddled figure just visible far below through the trees.

–Braganza brought him a blanket last night then left,” Milo said.

–Guess Sol wouldn’t think to stay with Cristiano,” his sister replied.

–Thank you for helping Mirioby last night,” Marissa said as she neared Tatiane.

The older girl returned a questioning glance.

–You found him after he crawled out and got scared,” Marissa reminded her.

–How did you know that? You were at Astronomy class.”

–Um… Mirioby showed me. With his eyes.”

–What is she talking about?” questioned Milo.

–Her macaw was on her bed chirping when I came back from taking them to Galaxia,” Tatiane explained. –I put him back in her backpack so he wouldn’t fall off the bed.”

–And you saw that?” Milo asked Marissa.

–Um… yes.”

–I know birds like her,” Milo said to his younger sister, –but that’s just weird.”

The swallows landed upon Marissa’s shoulders and chirped good morning as the Macaw students descended the spiral stairs of the great lapuna tree and marched toward the main path. A line of matted grass nearby showed where Mappy’s fruit had dragged its captive.

–Hey, Cristiano!” Milo called to the bedraggled boy who sat almost directly beneath the mountainous Slothish that was slowly stretching down from a branch to collect its meal. –You want to walk to breakfast with us? We can wait a few minutes until you’re free.”

–NO!” the Anaconda boy replied angrily. –I’ll walk by myself!”

–Okay,” Milo called back. –But you should read this big warning sign when you go by.” The Macaw children all laughed, Jaci and Mario most loudly. But from the hateful glares that awaited her in the Great Hall, Marissa saw that Anaconda House didn’t think the Slothish accident was funny.

The aromas of breakfast filled the dining area and the huge room was loud with chatter about Saturday’s Quidditch game. The shouts between Macaw House and Woolly House were friendly and joking, unlike the mean and degrading chants the Condas had used on their opponents before the last game. Marissa ducked as team members began playfully tossing bread rolls as each other. Dozens of them suddenly stopped in midair between the two groups.

–House food fights are allowed only at game day breakfast,” Professor Galhos declared as she rose from the High Table. With another wave of her raised wand, each roll reversed its path and flew back to the person who had thrown it. –And only if each House has assigned someone to take the wasted food to the Hierotapir pens.”

Marissa would ask Alika for that job so she could see the pigs with secret writing again.

When Marissa left the Great Hall, a large figure waited behind a pillar at the top of the staircase. The brawny captain of Anaconda’s ‘Team of Destiny’ snarled in a low voice.

–You messed with my players, little gutter girl. Now you have me to mess with.”

–So?” Marissa replied, as carelessly bold as possible to show his threat didn’t scare her. She knew he wouldn’t make any spells on her where he might get caught by professors.

–You really are too stupid to know who to be afraid of,” Sol Braganza declared.

She ignored him in the way she ignored mean people when she begged in Santa Efigênia, but knew that Sol meant to cause her more trouble. She just didn’t know what trouble.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Eva Paranhos raised her hand to notify Professor Katupya that their potion was complete, and smiled with satisfaction that they had once again finished ahead of Celestia’s group. The blonde girl glanced over, and for a tiny moment lost the normally overconfident look that Eva called her air of superiority. Marissa had learned that those words meant Celestia Bella de Barros thought she was better than everyone else. The trouble was that it was true. In every other class, Celestia was always the first student to perform a new spell perfectly. Celestia was gifted, while Marissa was still nothing. So beating her group in Potions made Marissa just as happy as Eva. She was also glad to have time to practice with Rosaria.

–Remember,” Marissa told her, –you know it can't move or crawl on you.”

–I… I know it can't move or crawl on me,” Rosaria repeated.

–So just be strong and make your feeling go away. Tell yourself you won’t feel afraid.”

–I… I won’t feel afraid.”

Marissa slowly set the dried spider body on the table in front of Rosaria as Eva sat on her other side with the little pillow, ready to silence their Potions partner if she screamed.

–See,” Marissa confirmed, –a dead bug can't hurt you.”

Rosaria shivered slightly, but kept her eyes directly on the insect only a few inches away. She gave a nervous smile to Marissa, who smiled back before looking up to see that their stern Potions professor had quietly appeared behind Rosaria.

–We finished our potion, sir,” Eva told him. –Marissa is helping Rosaria to…”

–I see what she is doing,” Professor Katupya confirmed.

–Now hold out your hand,” Marissa instructed as she gently placed the spider in Rosaria’s shaking palm. –Look! You did it. You’re touching a bug!”

Rosaria held the dead spider for barely a second, then dropped it back on the table and took a deep breath. A faint smile crossed their stern professor’s face as he turned away.

–I might finally pass my Switching Spell test,” Eva said as they talked of their next class.

–Uh, have you…– Rosaria hesitantly inquired if Marissa had succeeded with any spells.

Marissa simply frowned.

–That’s okay,” Eva allowed. –I'm pretty poor at Transfiguration, too.”

Marissa understood that Eva said that to try to make her feel better, but it really did not. If not the right thing, at least something happened from Eva’s wand when she practiced. Of all the first-years, only Marissa got nothing to happen from hers at all.

–I’m sorry Cece and Celly are telling everyone you’re not a witch,” Rosaria said guiltily. She often apologized for mean things the Condas said just because she was one too.

–They can't hurt me,” Marissa replied. –I’m stronger than them.”

–And braver!” Rosaria added decidedly.

Professor Katupya called Marissa to his desk when class ended. She thought it might be to detention her for making Cristiano get trapped by the fruit last night, but was surprised to be complimented for helping Rosaria.

–Perhaps after you have shown Miss Castilhos how to handle the live potion ingredients, you can practice mixing and brewing,” he firmly suggested. Unlike other groups where each student took turns doing the different jobs, in their group Marissa always prepared insects while Rosaria always prepared plants and Eva always brewed the potions.

–Um… – she replied hesitantly.

–Something bothers you about that idea?”

–I don’t have any magic yet,” she plainly admitted what she was sure he already knew. –If… if I stir, the potions won’t work.”

–You are not stirring with a wand, Marissa,” Professor Katupya strongly informed her, –and the talent to create a powerful potion is different from the talent to perform spells. If you have not found it in your wand, maybe you will discover your magic in a cauldron. But not if Eva Paranhos brews every potion.”

Marissa had never thought of it that way before. It didn’t matter as much that spells she practiced by herself failed again and again. But she was worried that, without any magic, she would let her partners down by turning all their carefully prepared ingredients into some useless, gloppy soup. Did her worry kept her from learning a magic that she might really be able to do?

–After I teach Rosaria to be brave with live bugs,” Marissa said, –I’ll brew our potions.” At least she would try.

Professor Katupya nodded his approval and then motioned toward the wall passage to show she should leave for her next class.

A few minutes later she arrived at Transfiguration after rushing through the hallmaze. Her nose wrinkled from a strong odor as Marissa touched the wall to open the passage. Others were at their desks already, but she had ran fast enough to not be late.

–Eeew!” exclaimed Serafina Palmeiro as Marissa rushed by to take her seat.

–Oh, that’s disgusting!” Celestia Bella de Barros declared from the front row, and raised her hand like she was waving away fumes. Marissa suddenly noticed that the bad smell that she had thought was something she passed in the hall was really coming from her.

–Stinks the same as always to me!” Fer Ribeiro declared.

With a harsh look around the classroom, Professor Merrythought silenced any other comments before directing Marissa to step out to the terrace.

–Who hexed you?” the young professor asked after she had followed her outside.

–Hexed m… oooh,” Marissa said as she realized what had happened. –Some older boys I ran by in the halls were saying mean stuff. But I didn’t know it was a…”

–A Skunkspray Hex,” Merrythought’s displeased voice confirmed. –What boy cast it?”

Marissa shrugged like she didn’t know it was Stenio Cabral. She made herself feel nothing from the trick, just like she always felt nothing from the constant teasing of the Condas. Professor Merrythought noticed this cool response as she helped take off the smelly robe.

–Marissa, you’re allowed to be angry at them,” she told her young student.

Marissa didn’t explain to her professor that reacting to the Conda tricks would let them believe they could hurt her, which they could not. But there was another reason, too.

–Angry is the same as hate,” Marissa replied. –Sister Angelica says…” She paused as she glanced back into the classroom at the gleeful grins upon all the Anaconda faces.

–…that we shouldn’t hate the people who hate us,” Merrythought completed the words that she had probably heard from church too. She smiled at Marissa as she led her back inside, yet shook her head as if she couldn’t agree that ignoring the Anacondas was the best way to deal with them.

After class, Marissa fed Mirioby and talked for awhile with Professor Merrythought about how Tiquinho was going to help her teach the baby macaw to fly and to talk.

–He says Mirioby will learn if I just talk to him all the time,” she explained.

–That should be easy,” her professor replied. –You already talk to the swallows.”

–Yes,” Marissa agreed. –But they can't say spells like Mirioby will someday!”

Professor Merrythought smiled, then reminded her it was time to leave for her next class.

In Broom Flying Marissa polished handles and ignored the teasing Conda boys flying by. The colorful old Quetzals were easy to tell apart, and she gave special attention to the two favorite brooms that Sakura and Anna always chose for their Woolly Quidditch practice. Sometimes she would try to make a broom float to her hand, but nothing happened at all.

In Defense Against the Dark Arts, she practiced a hex with the rest of the class.

–Again, Marissa!” Professor Guerra shouted, not because he wanted to embarrass her like Mr. Cavaleiros tried to, but because he refused to let her doubt that she could do magic. Somehow Marissa liked that he forced her to try over and over even though she’d never made any spell work. It meant that Professor Guerra still believed she might be a witch.

In Astronomy she stayed a moment after class to show Professor Galaxia her star chart, so Marissa was by herself in the hallmaze when more Anaconda boys cast a hex on her. She hoped she could get back to Macaw House before anyone noticed, but rushed across a passageway right into all the Jaguar first-years following their guide frogs.

–Marissa,” Potira Arating said as they met. –You…” she hesitated politely.

–…STINK!” Tiquinho finished for her bluntly. –Did you spill a potion on yourself?”

–No, that’s a Dungheap Hex,” stated the Jaguar House Leader, Jaci Juruna, who stood nearby. He waved his wand and the terrible odor was gone.

–Um… thank you,” she said. At least no professors would smell her.

–Who did it?” Tiquinho asked, raising his own wand to some passing Condas. –I’ll…”

–NO!” Marissa called out, holding down his arm. –Nobody has to protect me from their dumb baby tricks.”

The Anacondas were afraid to do anything that could really hurt her.

-------------------------------------------------------------

For most of the day Friday she walked between classes with the other Macaw first-years, but she helped Professor Parreira stir the compost bins after Herbology so two Anaconda teens caught her alone on the rainforest path after that. Marissa sat by herself on the Broom Flying field so no one would smell a Skunkspray Hex had been put on her again. Luckily by the end of class their poorly cast hex had faded away.

At dinner the Great Hall was again noisy with excitement over tomorrow’s Quidditch match, yet Marissa barely noticed as her head filled with pictures of a faraway area of the Amazon rainforest. Mirioby’s eyes showed her a place where she was very sure the baby bird had never been. She saw his memory clearly, but where did he see it from?

Students could hear only the murmur of muffled conversations from the High Table. The principal was away from Witness Stone once again rather than at the evening meal.

–Absencia is visiting the Commissioner of Sport with Cavaleiros to plan an interschool exhibition game for Anaconda House,” Professor Katupya explained to his faculty. –Ramo feels the other House teams are poor competition for his Quidditch stars.”

–Arturo seems as convinced as Braganza and Cabral that they’ll be World Cup stars and never need their wizarding education,” Professor Galaxia said with a disapproving tone.

–But their Head of House,” Katupya nodded to Professor Guerra, –has reminded the players that failing their midterms would make them ineligible for the remaining season.”

The faculty reviewed issues of each grade until discussion came to the first-year class.

–It was wonderful, Ubiritan! She finally performed a charm, yet I couldn’t hear a word,” Professor Galhos commented. –She’s behind her class, but we all think she’ll catch up.”

–Catch up?” Tarcisio Guerra snorted. –With her wand tuned to her quietness, I’d wager that in a few years Anna Yamazaki may be the best non-verbal spell caster in the school.”

–But she will remain exempt from spoken exams for now,” Katupya directed.

–Sir,” Grace Merrythought spoke next with a concerned tone. –What about Marissa? Are there really parents demanding that Principal Absencia take her out of the school?”

–Unfortunately, yes,” he nodded. –They have conveyed this Slothish incident to him as another attack by a dangerous Muggle-born street child on decent wizarding children.”

–They can't really believe her troubles with the Anacondas are...”

–It is more than that, Grace,” Katupya continued. –There is anxiety growing in the cities. Many important families are seeing younger children they realize will not be invited to Witness Stone. So they question why a Muggle-born with no apparent magical ability has been.”

–Marissa only needs time, and surely Congress plans to explain the decline in wizarding births.”

–The Congress of Magic has decided to give no public comment until after the International Confederation has met to discuss what the Quill books have shown.”

–Unbelievable,” Grace Merrythought replied.

–I will postpone Absencia taking any action until after the midterm,” Katupya assured her. –By then Marissa must show abilities or a decision will be made.”

–We just need to keep encouraging her, sir.”

–No one here is giving up on her, Grace,” Tarcisio Guerra stated to her in a serious tone. –But you need to accept that someday we could find she is only a Muggle.”

–How can you say she isn't a witch if she was sent an acceptance letter?”

–You know as well as any of us that such a thing has happened before.”

–I… yes, I know,” Grace Merrythought unwillingly admitted to Guerra. –But…”

–We hope it is not so,” Professor Katupya stated. –But if despite the Quill’s record, her magical powers have somehow been suppressed or lost, Marissa will have to leave Witness Stone.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mirioby hopped about on her bed and wildly beat his bright wings as Marissa sat nearby practicing alone while all her roomates socialized in the common room on Friday night.
Over the last eight weeks she had tried every spell in all her schoolbooks, hoping to find just one that her wand would like to do. Now she started again with a basic one.

–Lumos,” she called out yet another time. –Lumos. Lumos!” Still nothing happened.

It was a simple spell, just a glow on the tip of a wand. She had seen the other first-year girls use it to read books in bed at night or to light their way to the bathroom in the dark.
It was simple for them, but she just could not understand why it was impossible for her.

–This isn't how it was s’posed to be, Mirioby,” she sadly told the little hyacinth macaw. She was supposed to have found her magic by now to prove that she really was a witch, not just the ‘gutter girl’ that the Condas believed she was. Secretly she had even hoped that if she studied very, very hard she could be one of the goodest witches in her class. –I wanted to show that I’m smart as them, and magic as them,” she said. –But I’m not.”

–Don’t say that!”

Marissa turned quickly, surprised that someone had entered the room without her notice. She willed the disappointed look off her face so that Tatiane wouldn’t think she was weak.

–Just because Muggleborns might not learn magic as fast as wizarding kids who grew up with it all around them,” Tatiane told her, –doesn’t mean we’re not as good as them.”

–But… I still can't even...”

–Galaxia says it’s only because you’re smaller than the other girls,” Tatiane said kindly. –Ya know you might grow some if you ate more than a piece of bread each meal.”

Marissa was quiet and chose not to say that in Santa Efigenia she and the boys often had not even that to eat. She still wondered each night if they had gone to sleep hungry.

–And spells aren’t the only magic, Marissa,” the older girl added encouragingly. –I mean, look what you can do with your macaw!”

–That’s not magic, its just cuz birds like me. Professor Merrythought asked the Cares for Creatures professor, and he said birds can't Legillancy, just like Mr. Argiletum said too.”

–Well, Domador and Argiletum don’t know everything!” Tatiane replied assuredly. –Maybe the way you see with Mirioby is a magic they don’t know. Maybe we should ask someone else.”

–Um… who else?” Marissa asked, a little puzzled by the bold statement that a professor and the librarian who kept thousands of books about all the magics could both be wrong. Tatiane’s long silence showed that she hadn’t thought who a ‘someone else’ might be.

–Hey, I know!” she finally answered. –Our pen pals club sends letters to other schools every month. We could write to Care of Magical Creatures professors in other countries and ask. One of them must know about other animal magic.”

Marissa’s face brightened to the idea that she might show her professors she could do something magic, even though she was not at all sure it was a magic that came from her. At Tatiane’s urging, she found her quill and from a wardrobe drawer took sheets of the fancy pastel pink parchment that Rosaria gave her more of every week in Potions class.

Tatiane took the quill. –Should I write that…”

”NO! I can write!” Marissa replied before realizing she had said the words very mean.

–Fine, you write,” Tatiane conceded as they moved to a small desk near the tall windows. Soon Marissa finished her carefully worded letter.


Hello Professer of cares for creetures,

My name is Marissa. I am a girl. I go to witness stone magic school. I have a blue macaw bird. I say I can see in my head things he sees. My professers say it's not true but Tatiane said I can ask someone else. Can you tell me if seeing by Mirioby is magic? Do you have a boys or girls who like birds? If you have kids who see what ther bird sees will you ask them to write to me? Please.

Marissa


–Hmmm. I guess that about says it,” Tatiane stated after reviewing the page. –Now for about a dozen more so we can send one to every pen pal school!”

Marissa watched with surprise as Tatiane performed a charm that copied her letter to all the other parchment sheets. It was much easier than her writing it again that many times. With another wave of Tatiane’s wand, each letter folded up and added itself to a stack.

–I’ll send these with our letter bundles. Maybe someone will answer in a few weeks.”

–Thank you, Tatiane,” Marissa smiled. Then she raised her wand to practice again.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The food fight Saturday morning was a joyous battle between Woolly and Macaw House. Marissa could not help but smile as waves of buns and fruit slices flew back and forth across the aisles of the Great Hall. From the balcony, Saci flung mushy berries towards Anaconda House. Professor Galaxia had assigned collecting food for the hierotapirs to some sixth-year boys that broke curfew, but that was okay because Sakura had invited Marissa to bring the swallows again to help Anna practice Seeking.

–Are you coming to services tomorrow?” Sakura asked her as the three headed to the practice field after breakfast. Tiquinho and Potira walked hand in hand ahead of them, though Flap-Flap had joined Marissa atop her pink backpack where Mirioby slept.

–Um… I don’t know,” Marissa replied. She did not want to say that she had never been allowed inside church before, only eaten meals in the courtyard of Nossa Senhora da Luz. She did know that Palm Sunday meant it was only a week until the Easter holiday, when the Witness Stone Line would take her back to Santa Efigenia to see the boys!

–You should come with Anna and I,” Sakura suggested. –And you can sit with us at the Quidditch game this afternoon so our parents can meet you. Would you like that?”

–Um… maybe.” She also did not want to say that she felt out of place with families.

A soft rain drizzled steadily as Marissa, Tiquinho and Potira sat beneath an overhang of the Astronomy tower wall and watched the Japanese girls gliding across the grey skies. Each time one of the blue Snitches was tagged by Anna, it would fly back to Marissa’s side where Potira would charm its wings dry while the next swallow flew off to take its turn. Fides, Spero, and Amor all enjoyed being warmed by Potira’s magic.

While Sakura and Anna practiced, Tiquinho told stories of dark-skinned little ones who were sometimes glimpsed in the ruins of ancient altars hidden deep in the rainforests. Legends said that although the dark pajés and their armies were imprisoned in the lost cities, somehow the native elves that once served Jaguating could still come and go from those places. It was good fortune to see a ruin-elf for even a second before it disappeared.

After their practice the Japanese girls had to hurry off to change their rain-soaked robes. But as they passed by Marissa, silent Anna suddenly embraced her.

–Um… what was that?” Marissa asked awkwardly after she was released.

–Anna’s thank you for always letting her train with your swallows, silly!” Sakura smiled.

–Oh,” Marissa said. She did not want to say that hugs were not what a strong person did, because at the moment she felt strangely warm in the drizzling cool rain.

She parted from Tiquinho and Potira too, and returned to the towering trees of Macaw House. The three swallows flew to their window ledge nest to rest from their morning of playful flying while Marissa changed from her damp robes before feeding little Mirioby. She was late following her roommates to lunch and delayed by an unplanned meeting.

–Pink bag girl!” a welcoming voice called out just as she reached the Great Hall balcony. Politely she stopped to light Saci’s pipe then dusted herself off as he whirlwinded away.

Lunch was ending and crowds of students flowed out from the Great Hall. The chanting Woolly House team led them out to the vast ancient plaza toward the Quidditch field. Marissa trailed at the end of the throng of children as she entered Chaser’s Courtyard. Like at the last game, thousands of visitors overflowed the rainforest clearing with noisy excitement. Moving quietly into the jostling, shouting crowds that pushed about to find family and friends, Marissa heard bits of passing conversations.

–You’ll have another chance to pass the App test,” a father said encouragingly to his son.

–An Outstanding in Potions?” a mother said to a daughter. –Oh, we’re so proud of you!”

Marissa knew that somewhere in the crowd Anna and Sakura were meeting their family too and would be sharing all their happy news. Sakura would be telling their parents how good Anna and her were doing in Quidditch reserves and how Anna could make spells now even if no one heard her say the words! Anna’s mother would be very happy.

Sakura had said about sitting at the game with them, but Marissa wasn’t sure she should. The Japanese girls’ parents might believe she was scared to sit alone and wasn’t strong.

–Dad! Mom! Over here!” cried an older sixth-year girl who rushed to hug her mother as Marissa quickly darted aside to avoid being crushed between them. Amid the joyful greetings, happiness and laughter, Marissa felt very full and very empty at the same time. She was surrounded by all of this, but not really part of it. All of the wizardings children had families to believe in them, families to be proud of them. They all had people who…

–Ugh,” Marissa stumbled as someone pushing from behind almost knocked her down.

–Oh, sorry, I…” a large teen started to apologize until he turned and saw who she was. –Clumsy dumpster rat!” the boy swore and raised his wand.

–Not here!” one of three more Anaconda Quidditch players with him whispered sharply. –Sol said only when she’s alone.”

–Yeah, yeah,” the teen replied as they moved away, angrily brushing off his jersey like touching Marissa made it dirty.

Marissa moved alone through the crowd. She rode the carousel platform up to the stands and made her way to the highest row. The tall golden hoops at either end of the field stood out against the drizzling grey skies, while thunderous applause filled the air as the Quidditch match began.

Through an hour of play the Quaffle changed hands constantly as teams traded goals.

–Ten points Woolly!”

–Ten points Macaw!”

–Ten points Woolly!”

–Ten points Macaw!”

This match was very different than the game of two weeks ago. The Woolly and Macaw teams battled just as energetically, but with smiles and laughter, not sneers and snarls. Their struggles were playful pushing and shouting, not the violent attacks, mean bullying and cheating of the Anacondas team. Marissa enjoyed this game much more, and clapped loudly each time her Macaw team scored or gained control of a fumbled Quaffle. It was just like cheering Pipio and Nino when they made soccer goals in Santa Efigenia.

Macaw House scored one last goal just before Woolly’s Seeker caught the speeding Golden Snitch to end the game at 190 to 40. The Woolly House stands erupted in cheers as opposing players shook hands and slapped each other on their backs. That was something Marissa knew the Anaconda team would never do.

Some spectators departed quickly in bursts of glowing flame at the heavy stone Floos, but many of the hundreds of family members lingered about the courtyard to visit longer. Marissa pushed past the crowds and ran quickly along the empty path to Witness Stone, hoping for time to practice spells before the other girls returned to their dorm room. But at the broad staircase of the ancient wall four familiar boys in Anaconda jerseys waited. Refusing to let them think she was afraid, Marissa met their gaze as she walked the steps.

–I guess gutter girl just knows she’s gonna stink for the rest of her life,” sneered the large one who had bumped into her earlier.

–Foetor Putorius,” another teen called out as he pointed his wand. Marissa ignored their laughter, but her nose wrinkled from the rising odor as she touched the immense slab and passed through to the other side of the vine-covered wall. The boys did not follow her. She sighed and shook her head, wondering how long she must wait until the terrible odor went away. She crossed the lily pad pond and slumped down beneath a tree on the plaza.

–Marissa!” a voice called. –Marissa!”

–Hello Flap-flap,” she smiled half-heartedly as Tiquinho’s scarlet macaw fluttered down and landed on her shoulder. –At least you don’t mind I smell like a skunk again!”

After a while she saw Jaguar students returning from the game. Jaci Juruna frowned when he stopped behind Tiquinho, Potira and her sloth, Ker, who all held their noses.

–Again?” he said. Marissa simply shrugged as he raised his wand and called out –Finite.”

–How many times have they hexed you?” asked Araci Uirapuru, the other House Leader, whose dark long hair framed a tan face decorated with a flowing jungle leaves tattoo.

–Um… just four.”

–You should tell a professor,” Araci stated.

–NO,” Marissa answered firmly. Telling would mean she wasn’t strong. Marissa had to show their meanness couldn’t make her feel hurt. They couldn’t make her feel anything.

–Walk back to Macaw House with Marissa,” Jaci told Tiquinho.

–So Ker see Mirioby!” Potira added before Marissa could disagree.

–I think Marissa is right,” Jaci said to Araci when the first-years had gone. –Kids hex each other all the time and nobody runs to a professor for help.”

–That’s practice! This is Braganza’s goons attacking a firstie every time she moves. And you know Sol has his players do it so he can squirm out of trouble if she did tell.”

–I know. For being such a moron in every class, he’s sure smart about being mean. But Gran Arating’s little wildflower is too strong to let Braganza think she’s afraid of them.”

Araci Uirapuru smiled and reluctantly nodded agreement.

–Potira says Cece’s proper girls still tease her every day about being from the city slums. Maybe stink hexes are harmless,” Araci conceded, –but it’s just not fair.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

–We’re not very happy that you didn’t meet our family at the game,” Sakura said sternly the next morning as Marissa found her and Anna waiting in the Macaw common room.

–Um…”

–So you have to come to Mass with us today to make up for it,” she ordered with a smile. Marissa followed down the steps, secretly glad that her two friends had come to take her.

She was amazed, though maybe she shouldn’t be by now, that the tiny chapel beside the library had grown to a giant room inside that held hundreds of worshippers. She watched the blessing of the palms and heard the Bible reading of the Jesus story. Sakura very quietly explained ‘Communion’ to her, and Marissa was even splashed by holy water as the priest walked up the aisles blessing children by waving the palm fronds. Her first time inside a church was very wonderful, but still she felt like she did not really belong there the way the wizardings children around her did.

In the afternoon Potira and the Japanese girls wanted to sew a dress for her pet sloth, so Potira was not too upset at letting Tiquinho go with Marissa to study the tall stelae that lined the plaza. Comparing their carved symbols to the illustrations in her library book, Marissa found they were very different but still felt the patterns could somehow help her solve the puzzle of the hierotapir writing.

Marissa was hexed again by the Anacondas on Monday, and two more times on Tuesday. Because she didn’t want to look like she hid behind her classmates, sometime each day the Condas found her alone. Cecelia and Celestia had always liked to tell everyone that she smelled like a dumpster, but Sol’s Quidditch boys were trying to make it so Marissa really did stink all of the time!

On Wednesday it happened on her way to Herbology class, but in the greenhouses she sat off by the fragrant magic flowers so nobody noticed the bad smell until it was gone away.

After classes that day she chanced to meet Tiquinho and Potira by the hallmaze doorways after picking up Mirioby from Professor Merrrythought’s classroom.

–He’ll be ready to fly in a few weeks,” Tiquinho declared confidently as Marissa held up her young macaw to show him how long its bright feathers were growing.

–You come village?” Potira asked.

–I want to,” Marissa replied, –but… I promised Sport Club da Luz.”

The Easter break was only a few days away, and the Jaguars had invited her to visit their wonderful rainforest village once more. Marissa was almost sad that she would have to miss seeing the mysterious magical place again, but on Friday morning the ancient train cars of the Witness Stone Line would fly her back to Sao Paulo. Mr. Palito’s last letter even said he would meet her at Miss Julieta’s samba school.

–You miss friends,” Potira replied. –Come village other time.”

–Yes. But please tell Gran Arating and the old, old Chief I say hello.”

–I tell,” she smiled.

-------------------------------------------------------------


The Pungent Pee Hex the Condas cast on her Thursday hardly mattered to Marissa at all because she was filled with thoughts of returning to the boys of Sport Club da Luz soon. That night she slept lightly, rising after midnight as she heard her wardrobe doors open.

–Dozza,” she whispered softly to the house-elf putting away clean clothes, –will you feed Mirioby while I’m away?”

Marissa knew she couldn’t bring the baby bird to Sao Paulo. The noisy city would scare Mirioby and police would say she stole the hyacinth macaw and try to take him away.

–Yes, MyRissa. Little ones takes care of pets,” Dozza quietly assured her.

–Thank you.”

–MyRissa goes to see boys who has no beds?”

–Yes,” she answered. Marissa had seen the little one a few more times since their first meeting, and when Dozza asked she had told more about the boy’s life in Santa Efigenia. Dozza was truly distressed that she could not provide soft beds and pillows for them.

–For MyRissa’s friends,” she whispered, and placed a neatly wrapped package on top of the folded shirts.

Marissa smiled. She had also told Dozza how the boys on some days had no food at all, and had never had a dessert good as house-elfs made. Marissa was sure the small square was a slice of the marvelous cake of tilting layers she’d seen at dinner earlier that night.

–Thank you, Dozza.”

She tucked it away with the clothes she was taking, and early Friday morning she carried it with her as hundreds of children streamed aboard the elegant old wooden train cars. Sakura waved her over to the same row of seats they sat in on the ride to Witness Stone. Soon the Captain had magicked the giant bubbles and the train rose into the skies above the rainforest. Anna was happy to see Fides, Spero and Amor perched on the windowsill.

A short time later, someone ducked into the open seat beside them like she was hiding.

–Rosaria!” Marissa smiled.

–Cece isn’t here,” Rosaria declared. –Her and Celly are Portkeying to meet their parents in North America. And Sol and the other players are racing brooms back to Sao Paulo.”

–Good!” Sakura answered. –It will be a nicer trip without...”

–But if any Anacondas come by,” Rosaria cautioned, –pretend we’re doing homework.”

–Okay,” Marissa agreed.

Many hours later the rainforest view gave way to the towering skyscrapers of Sao Paulo. The Witness Stone Line arrived in Mercado Trocado as evening came, and Marissa soon found her way through the magical stained glass and out to Miss Julieta’s samba studio. Mr. Palito tussled her hair as she met him and eagerly she rushed toward Parque da Luz. The roar of evening traffic and acrid exhaust fumes were far different sounds and smells than those Marissa had become used to in the deep Amazon rainforests of Witness Stone. The three swallows flew joyfully through the familiar trees when they reached the park where the boys waited, and a happy feeling filled Marissa as they greeted her.

–Hey, schoolgirl,” Pipio hit her shoulder. She hit him back before noticing his face.

–You were in a fight!” Marissa said, seeing dark bruises on his jaw, deep cuts on his lip, and badly scraped arms.

–But he won!” Nino said proudly, hoping that might change the disapproval on her face.

–I don’t want you fighting like gangs!”

–I know,” Pipio replied, –but I had to stand up to boys trying to take our corner from us. Sometimes we have to show we’re strong.”

–We’re not as lucky without you, Marissa,” Nino said. –Bullies don’t fall down chasing us, or have knives fly away.”

Marissa paused. It was true that Pipio couldn’t protect the team the way those things did, and at least none of them looked thinner or sick as she had worried they might be.

–Okay,” she conceded, not wanting to be mad at the boys. –But I don’t like it.”

Mr. Palito led them to a picnic table under a tall tree.

–I brung something for us!” Marissa said. She took the wrapped cake slice from her bag, satisfied to show she could still provide for her team.

–What is it?” Nino asked.

–You’ll see!” she replied, knowing the boys would be excited to share the sweet dessert. Marissa pulled open a corner, then jumped back in surprise as a steaming cloud expanded from the unsealed edge. Within the steam the package unfolded, unfolded and unfolded itself again until its unbelievable contents spread before the astonished boys.

–Um…”

Professor Merrythought had reminded her again that morning as she boarded the train. She wasn’t supposed to tell about magic, but what just happened was a bunch of magic! Along with a dozen slices of the delicious wizardings cake she thought Dozza had given her one piece of, palm leaf trays overflowed with simmering chicken breasts, fish fillets, wild rice, and heaps of fruits and cheeses. How could she explain all that?

–Army rations!” Mr. Palito announced. –I didn’t know schools had those too.”

–Um…”

–Army food is pressure packed for marching troops to carry,” he continued. –Marissa’s school probably uses them for field trips.”

–COOL!” Tomas declared. All four boys were very impressed with Palito’s explanation. Marissa smiled and told herself she must thank Dozza again when she returned.

–We should save most for the rest of the week,” Pipio quickly decided.

That was the smart thing to do, Marissa thought. At the same time she realized it was always her who had decided that before.

–We’ll share the fish now and take the rest back to the alley,” Pipio told the boys.

–And some cake?” Tomas added, with little Paulinho looking just as hopeful.

–One piece of cake,” Pipio ordered firmly.

–And after dinner Marissa can tell us all about school,” Mr. Palito added with a wink.

Marissa told them about Sakura and quiet Anna, Tiquinho and Potira, and Rosaria who was scared of bugs, but she didn’t tell that her classmates were learning at a witch school! She told the boys about the exciting school soccer games that thousands of people came to watch, but wished that she could tell them it was really Quidditch with flying brooms!

Mr. Palito took them to their alley before departing for his nightly roam through the city. Late that night they crawled to sleep under the shelter of the rusty old ventilation unit. The cement was hard and cold, but Marissa was contented to sleep there with her boys. She awoke once in the night, and smiled as she recalled what was not really a dream. Even here, a thousand miles from Witness Stone, through Mirioby’s eyes she had seen the baby macaw being fed by Dozza.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Marissa rose at dawn with the swallows and changed to her worn t-shirt and shorts. She rinsed herself at the faucet and set out threadbare but clean shirts for the boys.

–Today is a holiday!” Pipio declared when they woke .

–Hurray!” the team shouted.

–But Pipio,” Marissa protested at his announcement, –the swallows and me can ask for change with you today. So the team might have extra money before I go back to school.”

Secretly she had looked forward to begging at the bus stations in the business district. After disappointing months of not doing magic, that was something she could do good. With Spero singing on her shoulder, she always collected more coins than the boys.

–You can’t beg,” Pipio replied laughing. –You’re a schoolgirl!”

–And we got so much army food, we won’t need money for dinner tonight,” Nino added.

The boys looked so happy to have a free day that Marissa did not oppose Pipio any more. They walked together toward Parque da Luz, but followed Pipio into a back street when they saw a pair of policemen a block ahead.

–What’s that smell?” Marissa asked as they walked barefooted along the sidewalk.

–Just the ditch,” Pipio replied with a puzzled look. –It smells the same as always.”

Marissa did not remember the stench of the waste-filled sewer runoff being so strong. In fact when she thought about it she couldn’t recall that she’d ever noticed it at all before. But after returning here from the rainforest, every odor of Santa Efigenia seemed sharper. Dirty sewage water, urine in alleyways, scattered garbage, burnt oil from abandoned cars, and even a dirty homeless bum they passed each left bad smells in her nose.

‘It smells the same as always,’ she thought. The odors of the slums were such a part of Santa Efigenia that street kids didn’t even notice. Then she thought of something more. From her very first day at Witness Stone, Celestia and Cecelia has told everyone Marissa smelled like a dumpster. Over and over they teased though she was too strong to be hurt. Maybe they were not just being mean. Maybe, though Marissa couldn’t tell it herself, she really had smelled like Boca da Lixo.

At the park the older boys kicked the soccer ball while Marissa and Paulinho raced with the swallows. Later they ate rice and beans Pipio had brought along and the boys told her about things that happened while she was gone. A gun battle for drug territory in one of the favelas, a raid on a condemned building where homeless people slept, and more street kids beaten.

Marissa felt a surge of guilt. Her going to school could help them escape from all those dangers someday, but while she was gone she was helpless to protect Sport Club da Luz. And if she couldn’t be magic soon, it would mean she left them in danger for nothing!

–And…” Pipio added hesitantly, –they found two of Leandro’s gang on Rua da Vitória.”

–Dead?” Marissa asked.

–No. Empty,” he replied, knowing she would understand this just as all homeless street kids did. The invisible horror that visited the desperate streets of Santa Efigenia had found more prey, but the name of the evil that sucked away souls was another secret of magic Marissa could not tell.

–Dementors,” she whispered to herself, and was troubled even more. Then a shout distracted her.

–Look! It’s Marissa!” called one boy from a band of ragged children crossing the street.

–We told you she would come back!” Nino shouted like he had been proven right.

The other homeless kids gathered around to greet her. One thin little girl hugged her.

–I was afraid the dark thing got you,” Sofia whispered, –like Marta and those boys.”

–Marissa was at school, like we said.” Pipio told Sofia.

–Really?” she asked Marissa, plainly believing the boys had made up a story.

–Yes,” Marissa confirmed, and quickly she found herself repeating her tales of school for the captivated group of children. History and Astronomy were classes she might have in a regular school, but she changed Herbology to ‘Gardening’ and Potions to ‘Cooking’.

–Oh that’s girl classes!” Tomas protested. All the young boys agreed.

–What good stuff do they teach?” Nino asked.

Marissa didn’t know what she could change Transfiguration or Defense Against the Dark Arts to, and didn’t want to say how terrible she was doing at the most important classes.

–Tell us more about soccer games!” Nino demanded. She happily changed the topic and creatively described as soccer plays all the action of the Quidditch matches she had seen.

–The bully team cheats all the time,” Nino said.

–I hope they lose next game!” Tomas added.

Though she described everything with all the excitement she could, Marissa knew none of it was as fantastic as it could be if she was allowed to tell them about magic!

-------------------------------------------------------------

On Easter Sunday the boys came to Nossa Senhora da Luz with Marissa. Maybe if she had worn her bright, clean school uniform and shoes she could even have gone inside the church, but Marissa waited in the courtyard with her team until the Mass was over.

–Is Sister Angelica inside?” she politely asked an older nun.

–I’m sorry, dear. I believe she’s at the Cathedral today,” the Sister replied.

–Oh,” Marissa answered with disappointment. She wanted to tell Sister Angelica about school too, though she wasn’t sure she should make up stories like she did for the boys. She hoped Sister hadn’t gone to the big church in the nice part of Sao Paulo for good.

The rest of the holiday was happy as the boys played their own exciting soccer game, ate their fill of wonderful meals, and fell asleep as Marissa read a Saci comic they had found! Marissa laid out her uniform for the morning and covered it with flower blossoms she had picked at the church. She hoped their sweet fragrance would cover any bad smells that Santa Efigenia might have. Before dawn she would wash very good at the faucet.

On Monday morning she said goodbye to the boys again, and Mr. Palito walked with her to the samba school even though she knew he had returned to the alley just before dawn. Pipio had polished her shoes to a shiny gloss as pretty as the day they were brand new.

–Pipio is handling the scruffs okay,” Mr. Palito said as the swallows glided above them.

–Maybe…” Marissa replied quietly, –maybe he can take care of the team without me.”

–Ha! Who fed them all so they didn’t have to beg while you visited?”

–It was just one piece of cake, but Doz…” She stopped herself from saying more because she couldn’t tell about magic.

–So how’s school going then?” the weatherworn homeless man asked after a bit.

–Um… good.” She couldn’t make up stories to Mr. Palito.

–Don’t be playing around too much,” he directed. –Work hard and do your best.”

–I am, but…” Marissa bit her lip sharply and turned away quickly as her voice faltered. How could she tell him she wasn’t really doing good at all? The wand she wasn’t allowed to tell anyone about wouldn’t do anything for her yet. What if she could never find how to make it work? She would never get a wizardings job and never make a better life for the boys.

–Course you are!” Palito declared loudly when he saw Marissa hide her face from his view. –Stupid of me to even doubt it.”

Mr. Palito tussled her hair. Marissa turned back and smiled.

–Just don’t want you to be like I was in school,” he continued. –Played… soccer every hour instead of learning what I really needed.”

–I’ll study hard,” Marissa promised as they reached the door of the small samba school.

Mercado Trocado was filled with people. It wasn’t as busy as the first day of school, but most of the younger children had families to see them off on the long train journey again. Marissa looked about trying to catch sight of the shops she had visited before. There was Longtoes Shoemakers, there was the Snidget Nest, there was another and another curious place that would be somewhere else completely if she were to walk in and out a doorway. Translucent stained glass unicorns galloped in the artwork behind the magic fireplaces. As more wizardings people arrived at the flaming Floo stations, Marissa made her way along the plaza to the parkway where the ornate old passenger coaches stood. She expected to find Sakura and Anna already on board the train, but saw the two girls and their mothers in the plaza talking with the Woolly Quidditch captain Monkey Magalhães and his parents.

Marissa stepped inside the train and took her place where she had sat before, hoping the cousins would join her soon. Fides, Spero, and Amor all glided down to the windowsill outside.

In a few minutes a line of finely dressed girls boarded the train. Celestia Bella de Barros led her Anaconda first-year roommates up the aisle, with Rosaria Castilho tucked among the other fair-skinned girls. She looked helplessly toward Marissa for one moment before her social advisor corrected her glance.

–Come on Rosaria,” Celestia ordered. –Proper girls don’t associate with those!”

Marissa turned to look out the window. It didn’t matter that Celestia looked down on her because she came from Santa Efigenia or because she didn’t believe Marissa was a witch. It only mattered that she did good in school so one day she would have a wizardings job and the boys would have a real home with food they didn’t have to take from dumpsters.

But how could she do good in school if she could never make spells or charms or hexes? She promised Mr. Palito she would study hard, but worried that studying was not enough. Something else let all the first-years work their wands but somehow would never let her. She desperately needed to find what that was.

–I have to be magic, Spero,” Marissa whispered to the little swallow upon the windowsill. –I just have to be.”

Because she never wanted to return one day to Santa Efigenia and have to tell Sport Club da Luz she had failed them.