Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Of Proposals by Cheshlin

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This was written for Hannah, coolh5000 of Slytherin House in a Secret Swap exchange.

Thanks to Rhi for HP for being my beta.
Ron was excited. Tonight was the night that he planned to propose to Hermione, and so far everything was working out as it was supposed to.

Dinner had gone flawlessly. Ron had taken her to a new restaurant in Diagon Alley that had received great reviews from family and friends. George had taken Angelina there for their first date and couldn’t talk enough about it. Usually Ron would have thought it was a big joke, but George had grown more serious since they had lost Fred. Jokes were still a big part of his personality, but George knew how special Ron needed this night to be.

Hermione looked stunning in bright blue dress robes that highlighted the pink in her cheeks. As they were brought the dessert menu, Ron thought it was finally the right time.

“Have I told you how great you look tonight?” Ron asked nervously.

“What’s gotten into you tonight? This is the tenth time you’ve told me that. I am flattered, but it makes me think you are up to something or did something wrong.” Hermione looked at Ron suspiciously over her tiramisu. “You haven’t gotten into any trouble at work have you?”

Ron looked stunned as he dropped the biscuit he had been about to take a bite out of, “What? No! Work is going fine. Kingsley has me helping Harry draw up some new regulations for the Aurors. Some of the older ones are really fighting change. They don’t see why we have to watch over the Ministry of Magic more than we used to. They think it was a fluke that the Death Eaters were able to take over so easily.”

Sighing at the thought of all the work ahead of him, Ron looked over at Hermione and started to reach for his pocket. Now was as good as any time. . .

“Ron,” Hermione started, “what do you think about me working for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. It’s the only place that I can really succeed in the work I started with S.P.E.W. Now that I’ve taken my NEWTS, I have to hope that I’ve done well enough to take a position at the Ministry. Unlike you and Harry, I’m not interested in work with the Auror office.”

Ron had taken his hand from his pocket as soon as Hermione had started talking. The moment had come and gone, and now he would have to wait for another one. “I think that you could really do well working with magical creatures. You just have to make sure you are working with them, and not going for what you think is best without checking with them first.”

“What do you mean? House elves deserve to be paid and provided for! They are not slave labour like many wizards and witches think.” Hermione’s voice raised a bit as she talked about this issue close to her heart.

Ron felt embarrassment turn his cheeks red as a few other patrons turned around to look to see what the raised voice was about. One table was outright glaring at them.

“I know, Hermione! I just know that sometimes you try to force change on the house elves that they aren’t ready to accept. Just take it slowly. Maybe you can have Kreacher and Winky work with you to make regulations that will be accepted by all of them.” Ron said softly, trying to calm Hermione down.

Hermione looked taken aback for a moment, but then gave him a big smile. “I’m sorry, Ron. I know that I can get a little over the top. Tonight is about us, not my job choices.”

“I don’t mind at all. Our future is going to be impacted by your job choices, so it’s a good thing to discuss. I would hope you feel you can discuss such things with me.” Ron smiled back at Hermione.

“Of course I do! You’re a central figure in my life. I love you Ron, and you better remember that. It took us too long to finally realise the tension between us was often because of jealousy and untold feelings.” Hermione grinned mischievously at Ron before adding, “That’s how you ended up with my canaries attacking you.”

“What did you have to bring them up for? I still have scars!” Ron smiled weakly. “Well, you haven’t had to put the canaries on me for a few years now. You do realise how much I love you, don’t you?”

Hermione looked thoughtful for just a moment before answering, “Yes I do. You’ve long since proven to me that I’m the only girl for you. Do you know how much I love you?”

Ron thought this had to be the moment he was waiting for, so he pulled the box from his pocket, knelt on the floor beside Hermione, and said, “Enough to be my wife?”

Shock flooded Hermione’s face as she sat facing Ron. Her mouth hung open as her eyes took in the pearl ring gleaming in the box. Her hands lay limp on her lap, and she seemed to be totally speechless.

After sitting in silence for a moment Ron couldn’t take the silence any longer, “Hermione, do you have an answer for me, or am I going to fall over because my leg is becoming numb from kneeling here.”

“Yes! Yes, of course I’ll be your wife,” Hermione squealed and threw her arms around Ron.

Ron fell over backwards as Hermione tumbled out of the chair into his arms and found the air knocked out of his lungs. His head hit the ground hard, and pain flared down his neck. It was all worth it to see the joy and love on Hermione’s face.

“I’m sorry Ron, I was just so surprised. I’ve known I’d marry you for a while now, but I thought it would be years before we got our feet on the ground and could even think of getting married.” Hermione helped Ron to his feet and felt the back of his head for any bumps.

Ron winced as she found a sore spot. “Since the day I knew I wanted you as my wife, I looked for a way to at least make you my fiancée. I think we’re going to have to wait a little while for the actual ceremony, but the ring had been my grandmother’s. I asked Mum if I could have it and she loved the idea.”

Hermione held her hand out and Ron slipped it onto her finger. The ring seemed to adjust its self to her finger, which made Hermione look shocked for a moment. Her smile grew even bigger and she took a moment to study the ring.

“I love it! Thank you Ron, it’s perfect.” Hermione leaned over and gave Ron a soft kiss as everyone sitting close by applauded.

The couple both took on a crimson tone as they realised they were still in the middle of the restaurant. Ron paid the bill and they left to tell their family and friends the good news.