Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Magic of Romance by Hypnotica

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry for a bit of a delay...
Sirius and Madeline avoided each other like the plague. During class, they refused to sit near each other, and so forced the rest of the Marauders, Lily, Ellen, Frank, and Alice to sit between them. People stared – teachers, even: Sirius Black and Madeline Murphy generally were inseparable (when they were getting along); literally, nearly always glued at the lips.


Only the Gryffindor seventh years knew truly what was going on. That Madeline really wasn’t the person everyone thought she was, and that she’d been refused. That Sirius Black didn’t want to sleep with her. That things were not at all as they appeared.


“Why can’t they just accept what happened and move on?” Ellen muttered angrily at lunch, glaring down at Madeline, sitting a few seats away, and who was staring deadpan at her food, silently putting it in her mouth and mechanically chewing. It was a warm October day, a week since the incident had occurred; Sirius had already shoveled Sheppard’s Pie into his mouth and departed to “go study.”


Lily shrugged. “Because, they’re Madeline and Sirius. They’re stubborn gits who do not accept things that ‘just happen.’ Plus, it didn’t ‘just happen.’”


Alice looked confused. “What do you mean?”


Sighing, Lily lowered her voice to a whisper. “Madeline wanted to do it. Sirius didn’t. Madeline isn’t used to being rejected, and Sirius hasn’t ever been encountered with a situation he’d have to refuse!” Sitting back satisfied, she continued to butter a roll. “Anyway,” she pressed, “I think soon this’ll all be over with anyway. How long have they ever not spoken? A week and a half. It’s been a week. I give them two more days.”


“I doubt it,” James muttered. She glanced at James, who had been watching her from Ellen’s left side. Their eyes met for a moment, and then she pulled hers away. He noticed before taking a sip from his goblet that she didn’t blush.


“You do?” Frank said from Alice’s side. “I think Lily’s got a point there.”


“They don’t know how to be angry with each other,” Alice agreed. “Not seriously angry. Not like this.”


James sighed. “Honestly? I know Sirius as well as I know myself. And you’re right – he doesn’t know how to deal with this. And so he’ll just drag it out, fearing the day where he’ll be paired with Madeline Murphy in Potions.”


**



Two days later, James sat triumphantly in the Gryffindor common room, smiling grimly at Lily. “What did I tell you?” He said. Surely enough, Sirius had avoided Madeline all day; at break, when they’d gone to the lake to quiz each other on Transfiguration, Sirius had not-so-politely excused himself when Madeline’s tall and slender figure appeared on the hill, coming down towards them. Now, James, Lily, Alice, Frank, and Peter sat alone in the common room just before dinner.


“So your pleased, then?” Lily snapped. “That they’re not speaking?”


James was caught off guard. “W-what?” Lily rolled her eyes, and James quickly changed the subject. “Where are Remus and Ellen?”


“No doubt off making out,” Frank grinned, elbowing Peter in the side. Peter gave them a small, shaky smile, strained as if he was unsure why he was being included in this conversation. Peter generally seemed unsure why he was included in any conversation: James, Sirius, and Remus were the coolest of the cool. Frank, too, even. But most people ignored or avoided Peter. He was ‘weird,’ a small and nervous boy with watery eyes and pale hair. They thought he was strange.


Except the Marauders. They had accepted him day one.


“I doubt it,” Alice said, pulling Peter back to earth. She glared a little at Frank. “Ellen wouldn’t.”


“And yet I think when it comes to Remus, she would,” Lily said, surprising everyone.


“What are you talking about?” Alice lookedshocked. “You’re not serious!”


Lily shrugged. “Yes I am. And I think they’re getting serious themselves.” James and Frank exchanged a glance: could she be right? Lily saw their faces and sighed. “It’ll be fine. Honestly. They’ve liked each other for seven years now.” She lowered her voice and added confidently, “And I don’t think anything’ll happen like Sirius and Madeline.”


“You just said they’re probably making out!” James snapped at her. “Make up your mind, Evans.”


Lily glared at him. “Excuse me, Potter, did you say something? I only heard excessively annoying whining.” She stood up. “Alice d’you want to come with me to the library? I really want to get that Charms essay finished…”


Alice jumped up. “Sure, let’s go.” The two girls grabbed their bags and quickly left the common room. Frank slid down onto the couch next to Remus, taking Lily’s place.


“Why can’t things just be simple anymore?” He muttered, running a hand through his floppy brown hair.


“This is only the beginning, Frank,” James murmured quietly, eyes trained on Peter’s profile. “This is only the beginning.”


And he was never more right.


**



Meanwhile, Ellen Young sat with her head on Remus Lupin’s shoulder, never feeling more at peace. They were outside in the courtyard, just below a window, talking the night away. That is, until dinner.


They had grown quiet, however. But then Ellen said, “Why do you hang out with Peter?”


Remus glanced at her, look confused. “I don’t – ”


Horrified at what she said, Ellen clapped a hand to her mouth and gasped, “No, I didn’t mean it – I didn’t mean that! I’m sorry, Remus!”


“It’s okay,” he shrugged, pulling her closer to him, his arm around her shoulder. “I know what you mean.” Remus sighed, and then said, “I think....please don’t tell anyone this…but I’m worried about Peter.”


“How do you mean?”


“Well…he’s been acting kind of st – ” But he never got to finish his thought, because at that moment, Sirius burst into the courtyard, looking furious. Sure enough, Madeline was following him, screaming.


“…don’t you even care?” she was saying.


Sirius spun around. “Of course I care!” He spat angrily. They were close enough for the hidden couple to hear every word. “Why do you think I didn’t – ”
He quickly swallowed his words as Madeline advanced. From what Remus could see from where he sat in the dying light, she was fuming.


“You care about someone?” She snarled, poking her finger in Sirius’ chest. Ellen and Remus exchanged a glance. “Holy Merlin, the world is coming to an end. Listen, Black. I know you’ve never…you know’d before. Nor have I.” Sirius opened his mouth, but Madeline shook her head. “So I wanted you to be my first. ‘Cause…I think I love you.”


Ellen let out a gasp, and Remus quickly clapped a hand to her mouth, but it was too late: the damage was done, and both Madeline and Sirius turned to where they sat hidden by the oncoming darkness, enveloped in the shadow.


Sirius bolted towards them, shouting, “You had better show yourself before I fucking hex you!” As he ran, he pulled out his wand.


“PADFOOT!” Remus bellowed, jumping up just as Sirius’ face began to shine through the gloom. Sirius skidded to a halt, and muttered, “Lumos.” The wand tip ignited and he saw that it was Remus and Ellen, who was struggling to her feet.


“Well, then,” Sirius said, smiling smugly. “Sorry to interrupt things.”


“Ellen? Remus?” It was Madeline, standing at Sirius’ shoulder. “What are you guys – oh.” Her eyes fell on Remus’ hand snaked around Ellen’s. “Sorry…!”


“Don’t be,” Remus said quickly.


Then Madeline’s eyes narrowed. “If you tell a single bloody soul what I said, I swear on all things good and chocolaty I will curse you.”


“Well now that you’ve sworn on chocolate, we know you’re serious,” Remus muttered. Madeline took an angry step towards him, but Remus threw his hands up in surrender. “Joking, joking. I promise.”


“Of course I do, too.” Ellen nodded vigorously, smiling shyly at Madeline, who seemed satisfied. “Well, I’m hungry…Remus, you coming?”


He quickly caught Sirius’ eye; the other boy nodded his head a fraction of an inch, and Remus said, “Yeah…let’s go.”


Sirius and Madeline turned to watch Remus and Ellen walk across the courtyard and get swallowed up by shadow, holding hands.
Chapter Endnotes: Hope you liked it...