Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Brothers in Arms by SexY_LydZ

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Thanks to Stubby, my Gauntlet partner.
Sirius Black huddled in his thick cloak and blinked rain out of his eyes. Around him, people dashed between shops, sheltering under awnings and trying to stay as dry as possible. Sirius himself was already soaked to the bone, and as such, was not terribly concerned with avoiding the rain.

The storm was wild. A bitter wind howled along the high street of Hogsmeade and the rain lashed down. It was an awful night to be out, but James had insisted that Sirius meet him and Lily and the others at The Hogs Head for drinks.

When Sirius reached the pub, he was greeted by a blast of warm air and a burst of noise. The Hogs Head was crowded and toasty warm. Sirius threaded his way through the throng of people, keeping an eye out for James and the others. When he couldn’t spot them, he made his way to the bar, intending to buy a drink.

“What’ll it be, lad?” The barman asked. Sirius grinned “ he and the barman were on great terms.

“Just a butterbeer for now. Until my friends get here.”

The barman winked and handed him a bottle, before turning to a customer who had addressed him. Sirius sat back in his chair and stretched out his long legs. The Hogs Head was always filled with such interesting “ interesting being code for weird “ people. He could see a guy with fake vampire teeth playing snooker with a man who had a blindfold on. And they were fairly normal looking compared to other people in the pub.

Sirius had half-finished his butterbeer and was beginning to wonder what was keeping James and the others, when a person in a black cloak sat down next to him. The person had their cloak hood pulled right over their eyes.

Sirius watched the person out of the corner of his eyes, unsure if he was supposed to know him (or her) or not. He certainly couldn’t tell who it was when they had their hood up like that. He had a cold sensation, like when someone presses their icy fingers to the back of your neck, that the person under the hood was watching him.

Sirius was about to get up and go get another drink when the hooded figure spoke.

“I have a job for you,”

“Me?” Sirius asked, slightly confused.

The person laughed, as if enjoying a private joke. “Good act, boy.”

“Look, I-” Sirius was cut off by the person whistling to the barman, who threaded through the people to where Sirius and the person were sitting.

“Could I have another butterbeer for my young friend?” The stranger asked.

The barman nodded and departed after giving Sirius a curious look.

The cloaked person was silent until the barman returned with the drink.

“Thanks, Ab,” Sirius murmured.

“Now,” the person continued. Their voice was very ambivalent and Sirius could hardly make up his mind whether it was a man or a woman.

“I have a job for you,”

“So you said,” Sirius replied dryly, checking his watch. James was very late.

The person dropped a letter onto the small table between their chairs, which was designed to hold drinks.

“Read it. Then you’ll know what to do. I’ll be back for your answer.”

With those final, cryptic words, the cloaked figure swept out of his or her hair and disappeared into the crowd. Sirius eyed the note on the table suspiciously. Who the heck was that? And why were they so cloak and dagger?

Sirius’ fingers itched to read the note, his curiosity nearly at boiling point. A second later he had made up his mind and he snatched the note off the table and tore it open.

Regulus,

It is time you proved your worth to us.

Kill Sirius Black, and 100,000 Galleons will be deposited into your Gringotts account.

Do not fail, Regulus.


Sirius’ fingers shook as he crushed the note in his hand. Kill Sirius Black. The cloaked figure had mistaken him for his brother and delivered the message to the intended victim “ himself!

Regulus. Kill Sirius Black.

Sirius knew better than to put faith in the fact that brotherly loyalty would save his life, should Regulus receive this mission. He pulled the hood of his own cloak up and prepared to leave, trying to decide what he would do.

“What have you decided?”

Sirius jumped and swung around to face the cloaked person, his heart beating violently.

“I’ll do it.”

*

Sirius leaned against the rails, staring at Number 12, Grimmauld Place. The hood of his cloak was pulled right down to obscure his face and he was completely still, except for the agitated tapping of his fingers against his legs “ the only behaviour observable that gave away his impatience.

“Hurry up, Regulus,” he growled, shifting his weight frustratedly. Sirius had managed to discover that Regulus was visiting their parents and was waiting out the front for his younger brother to emerge. Sirius was not about to sit around and wait for his brother to pick him off, he was going to confront Regulus and, if absolutely necessary, beat him to the punch.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Regulus emerged from Number 12, pulling on a cloak and glancing around furtively as he skipped down the steps. Sirius followed stealthily.

Regulus lead him down numerous streets and back alleys until they reached a quiet street named Carter Avenue. The houses of Carter Avenue were fairly large and well maintained. Sirius rolled his eyes “ mummy and daddy had set Regulus up nicely.

While Sirius had been distracted, Regulus had disappeared. Sirius swore under his breath, but continued along the street slowly, positive he’d find the house once lights started to flick on. If he had to, he’d wait until Regulus left again.

Soon, however, he became aware of the sound of footfalls that did not match his own. He continued to stroll along as if he had not noticed, but kept his ears open for the sound of the footsteps getting closer.

Quickly enough, the other person was nearly on top of him and Sirius drew his wand discreetly. In an instant he turned, catching his stalker by surprise, his wand at the would-be assailant’s throat.

“Regulus!” he exclaimed, as the persons’ hood fell back.

“Sirius.”

The brothers stared at each other, the streetlights casting deep shadows across their faces.

“Why were you following me?” Regulus asked eventually.

“We have a little something to discuss,” Sirius said firmly, drawing the note that the stranger from the Hogs Head had given him and waving it in the air. Regulus paled, and then said:

“Not here. Inside.”

Sirius lowered his wand after a second’s deliberation.

“Lead the way,” he suggested, gesturing with his arms.

Regulus led him into a spacious, brightly-lit house and motioned for him to sit down, which Sirius did. Sirius put the note on Regulus’ coffee table, watching his brother intently.

“Going to kill me are you, Reg?” he laughed mirthlessly.

“No,” Regulus answered, hanging up Sirius’ cloak.

“Then what?” Sirius snarled, “Why is this person asking you to?”

Regulus sat down, his face pensive.

“I knew. I knew what they were going to ask me to do,” he said quietly, “and I knew that you and your friends always met at the Hogs Head. I couldn’t bring myself to even consider killing you, Sirius. We may not have always gotten along, but you’re my brother.”

Sirius raised an eyebrow “ that had been as close to a declaration of brotherly love as Regulus would ever get.

Regulus took a breath, then continued. “I set the messenger up. I told him I’d be there at a time when I knew you’d be there. I was going to go and let you overhear, but then he mistook you for me-”

“I don’t know how,” Sirius interrupted, “I’m much better looking.”

Regulus rolled his eyes, but went on. “When he mistook you for me, well, that was just perfect. I wanted to put you on your guard, and this way, I won’t be blamed for the mistake. Everybody wins.”

*

Everybody wins? How? No, in this situation, nobody could possibly win, and that meant that the game was still afoot.

Regulus was pacing, his brow furrowed and his shoulders stiff. Sirius stood in the shadows and he raised his wand slightly, just to be safe.

“So what now?” He asked his brother casually, as if they were merely planning an outing to the park.

Regulus stopped pacing and stared at his older brother for a long while. Finally, he said:

“I don’t know. What do we do now?”

“I suppose one of us has to finish it,” Sirius said, keeping his tone neutral.

Realisation crossed Regulus’ face, as he took in the meaning of Sirius’ words. He took a step back, the dancing light of the fire that burned happily in the fireplace throwing his features into sharp relief, illuminating the flicker of panic that passed across his face.

“N-no,” Regulus said, “That’s not necessary. That’s why I did it, Sirius, so it wouldn’t come to this!”

Sirius did not break eye contact. Did Regulus honestly expect him to just accept his word for it so easily, without question? Sirius was not stupid, and the fact remained that Regulus was a Death Eater. It could so easily be a trap.

He desperately wanted to believe Regulus, to believe that the younger boy wanted to save him from death on the orders of Lord Voldemort. But how could he?

“How do I know? How do I know I can trust you, Reg? You’re one of them, for God’s sake!” he spat.

“I’m your brother!” Regulus shot back angrily. “I’m trying to protect you! Why won’t you just accept that?”

Sirius turned his back on Regulus, his hands shaking. He breathed in and out, trying to calm his temper. Eventually he turned back to his brother, who was watching him with an annoyed, expectant look on his face.

“You may be my brother, Regulus, but when have you ever acted like it?”

Silence followed that statement and the brothers stared at each other, neither willing to look away. Remarkably alike in looks, Sirius could have been looking at a smaller, slighter version of himself. Though he still thought he was better looking. Finally, Regulus looked over at the fire, which continued to burn merrily, despite the frosty atmosphere in the room and Sirius turned, looking for his cloak, more than ready to leave.

“If that’s the way you feel,” Regulus said quietly.

Sirius rounded on the younger boy.

“The way I feel? Since when have you ever cared about the way I feel?”

“Always,” Regulus admitted, “I hated it when they treated you like dirt.”

Sirius drew the line when conversation turned to their parents.

“I’ve heard enough. I need to go.”

He pulled his cloak on and strode to the door. His hand was on the knob and he turned. Regulus had followed him and was standing in the hall, a safe distance established between them. Sirius sighed. There should never be anything between brothers.

“Hey, Reg?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

Sirius didn’t wait for answer; he pulled the door open and disappeared out into the velvety night.

*

Again, Sirius was aware of someone following him. A hand fell on his shoulder and he whipped around, his wand drawn, ready to fight. His wand tip was pointed at Regulus’ heart.

“Sirius, wait!” the younger boy said, his eyes flickering from Sirius’ face to his wand. Sirius saw that Regulus was holding his own wand, but it was hanging loosely by his side.

Sirius lowered his wand slightly.

“I’m sorry,” Regulus burst out, “I’m sorry I never stood up for you when mum and dad were laying into you. I’m sorry that we fought. I’m sorry I never came looking for you when you ran away. I’m sorry, Sirius, I’m sorry.” The words poured out of Regulus as if he’d spent his life holding them in and now the dam had broken, allowing them to burst out.

Sirius stared at him, unsure of what to say.

“Why are you apologising? What have you done?”

“Well go on, Regulus, finish him.” Another voice joined them out of the darkness and the hooded messenger from the Hogs Head appeared.

The brothers stared at the Death Eater for a long time. Regulus looked at Sirius, then down at Sirius’ wand, which was still pointing at Regulus’ chest.

“What’s this then?” Sirius asked, looking at his brother, then at the hooded figure. His heart was thumping violently. What was going on? Had Regulus led him into a trap?

“A brotherly reunion, by the looks of it,” the Death Eater said amusedly. “One that I hope is going to end the way it ought to.”

“How is ought to end? With me dead?” Sirius snarled.

“That was the plan. All that remains to do is for Regulus to finish the job.” The Death Eater finished, an expectant note in his voice.

“Go on, kid. It’s not hard. Just two little words.”

Regulus raised his wand.

“You lied to me?” Sirius growled. “You’ve tricked me, and now you’re going to kill me?”

“He is,” the Death Eater cut in. “It’s time for little Regulus to prove his worth.”

Regulus was wild-eyed and panic played across his face.

Sirius’ wand felt heavy in his hand. He had a clear choice “ fight for his life, which could ultimately end only one way, by his killing Regulus and the masked Death Eater or to kneel to the inevitable, to die with dignity and walk into Death’s waiting, welcoming arms?

It was a terrible choice “ despite everything, Regulus was his brother and Sirius had no intention at all of dying just yet. His thoughts flickered to James and Lily and Remus and Peter. How much would it hurt them if he died? He and James were like brothers, they had had the kind of relationship that Sirius and Regulus had never had. James would be devastated.

Besides, it had never been in Sirius’ nature to lie down and accept the hand he’d been dealt. He was a fighter, he would fight and he would not let this smarmy, smart-mouth Death Eater be the end of him.

He raised his wand. It was time to end it. He saw Regulus raise his wand too, but then the younger boy turned to the hooded Death Eater and Sirius did the same.

Stupefy!” the shouted simultaneously.

The Death Eater crumpled, but Sirius did not relax. He faced Regulus, his wand pointed at the boy’s chest.

“Sirius, I didn’t plan that, you’ve got to believe me. I had no idea he was there. I didn’t try to trap you.”

One look in Regulus’ eyes and Sirius knew it was true.

“What will you do now?” Sirius asked.

Regulus grinned. “Tell them it was you.”

Sirius laughed. Just like old times, when Regulus would blame Sirius for his misdeeds at home.

“Sirius, go. Get out of here.”

Sirius turned to leave, but something held him back. He turned back to Regulus and pulled the boy into a tight hug. Regulus stiffened at first, but then he relaxed and hugged Sirius back.

“You’re a good kid. You’ve sure had me fooled all these years,”

“Go!” Regulus said, his voice strangled, as if his throat was being constricted.

Sirius took one last look at Regulus. He could see not only Regulus as he was now, but a small boy with black hair and silver eyes crawling into his big brother’s bed after having a nightmare. Then, with the ghost of a smile on his lips, Sirius turned on the spot into the crushing darkness.