Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

More than Meets the Eye by lilybobily7

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: Anything that you recognize belongs to JKR.

Also, I want to thank my beta for all her hard work!

Enjoy the story!
It was a hot and humid morning in late August and Lily Evans had just woken up. She sat up in her bed, so similar to hers at Hogwarts, amidst her warm cozy blankets and gazed out her window. It was still early and the sky was a gorgeous blend of vibrant pink and orange.


Lily rested her hands in her head, trying to remember the dream she had been having. It had been a good dream. She was Head Girl, patrolling the halls with the Head Boy. She remembered him being handsome, clever and funny and she found herself laughing at something he said. Together they strolled down the hall, holding hands and giggling.


Lily tried to recall the boy�s face but no matter how hard she tried, she could not. It was as if he had had no face at all but was perfect to her nonetheless. But that was how good dreams were supposed to be�a little confusing but satisfying too.


Shaking herself of the now seemingly corny dream, Lily rolled out of bed and trudged across the room to her wardrobe to change. Sighing at her lack of suitable Muggle clothes, even after having grown up as one, Lily chose a clean pair of jean shorts and an old T-shirt. She took a brush through her long dark red hair and stared at her reflection in her old mahogany framed mirror. In the reflection she spotted the letter that her best friend, Meredith Reed, had sent her the day before on her nightstand.


The letter had been short and vague but Meredith had sounded excited nonetheless. Turning around, Lily picked up the letter and again tried to interpret her friend�s loopy scrawl.


Hey Lily!

I have big and exciting news!! I would tell you but you will find out soon enough. I can�t wait for school to start. I have a feeling this year will be a great one!

Love,
Meredith



Folding up the letter, Lily put it in the pocket of her jeans and headed down the stairs for breakfast, her mind in turmoil. What is Meredith so excited about and why won�t she tell me? School will be starting in only a few days. Why is she waiting until then? Maybe I should write to Kelly and Andy and ask if they know what is going�


�LILY! Get this creature out of the house now!� Petunia screeched from the kitchen, interrupting Lily�s thoughts.
A great tawny owl had just swooped in the open bay window bearing a cream colored envelope and was helping itself to her older sister�s pancakes. Petunia had jumped out of her chair in fright and was cowering in a corner far away from the owl.


�Don�t wet yourself, Tuney,� Lily giggled as she untied the letter and sent the owl off. �It�s just my Hogwarts letter.�


Ignoring Petunia�s exaggerated gasp at the mention of her school, Lily slit open the unusually large envelope. Along with her usual letter welcoming the new school year and a list of supplies she needed for seventh year, another letter fell out with a scarlet and gold colored badge.


Lily held her breath and, hoping for the best, picked up the badge and turned it over in her hand. Excitement and pride filled her and a wide smile spread across her face as the engraved words �HEAD GIRL� gleamed up at her. She could not believe it. Even after being at the top of her class and receiving Outstandings on most of her O.W.L.S, with the exception of two Exceeds Expectations in Transfiguration and Divination, she had not expected it. Gabrielle Singleton from Ravenclaw had seemed a better candidate: a leader, very clever, and adored by the professors.


�What�s that?� asked Petunia, whose curiosity had overpowered her disgust and fear of Lily�s world.
Lily, who had long ago given up explaining things to her sister, grabbed a banana from the fruit basket on the counter and hurried back upstairs to her room to write to her friends about becoming Head Girl. As she got a piece of parchment out of her desk, Lily�s thoughts went back to Meredith�s letter. Was getting Head Girl the big and exciting news she had been so eager for Lily to hear? If it was, how did she find out that Lily had been awarded the badge?


But even after Lily pushed thoughts of Head Girl and Meredith from her mind, thoughts about the Head Boy entered it. Would he be handsome and clever or scrawny and timid? Would he be kind and charming or rude and obnoxious? Calling her small snowy owl, Snowflake, from the top of the wardrobe, she sent a letter off to Meredith along with her two other best friends, Kelly Hamilton and Andy Wolf. After she watched her owl soar out the window with the three letters, Lily picked up her congratulatory letter. Several lines in, Lily found her answer.


Dear Miss Evans

I am pleased to inform you that you have been chosen as this year�s Head Girl for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You have been chosen for your excellent academic achievements, your superb leadership skill, and your strong work ethic. You, along with the new Head Boy, James Potter, will provide great role models for the younger students. Please report to the Prefects� compartment on the Hogwarts Express at eleven o�clock. The two Heads are responsible for informing new Prefects of their responsibilities.

We will have a brief meeting to discuss the Head Boy and Girl�s responsibilities and duties after the start of term feast at nine o�clock. I will look forward to meeting with you soon.

Yours sincerely,
Albus Dumbledore



The words hit her harder than a Bludger from a Slytherin Beater: �new Head Boy, James Potter.� Feeling slightly faint, Lily sank onto her bed and hoped to wake up from this nightmare. How did James Potter of all people become Head Boy? Why not Remus Lupin or someone else who is sensible? More importantly, how was she supposed to work with him?
Chapter Endnotes: Well, what did you think? I would love to hear your opinions!