Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

More than Meets the Eye by lilybobily7

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey guys, I'm so sorry it's taken forever to update. My life is crazy right now. But, hopefully you enjoy the chapter. It's kinda long ;)

“Oh, wow. Don’t you two look fancy?”


Lily turned around on the doormat to see Sirius leaning against the wall, arms folded across his chest and a smug smile on his face. She instinctively looked down at her ice blue dress. “It’s not too fancy, is it?” she asked, smoothing down the layers of fabric. “I mean, after all, we’re not actually in the wedding.”


“No, you look great. Well, Lily does at least,” Sirius added with a chuckle which earned him a glare from James who was still standing in front of the mirror in the foyer straightening his tie. “Dress robes, or suits and ties in this case, never really suited Prongs.”


Lily surveyed the raven-haired boy, who looked uncomfortable and very out of place in his suit, and giggled. “I see what you mean.”


“Okay, enough comments from the peanut gallery,” James shot back. “Are you ready, Lily?”


“I think I have everything,” Lily responded, opening her handbag. She checked the contents over one more time, making sure to have all of her essentials: wand, tissues, dungbombs in case the reception got boring and she needed to make a quick get-a-way…she turned to James and gave a final nod.


“Then I’ll see you two Muggles later,” Sirius laughed and he watched as in one motion James and Lily turned on the spot and disappeared before his eyes.


The two reappeared several blocks away in a deserted alley and after dusting themselves off a bit, they made the short walk to the church. When they finally approached the large front doors, Lily took James’ hand and led him quickly inside knowing how nervous James must be feeling. Even though he hadn’t said anything about it, she could tell that he was eager to make a good first impression. She squeezed his hand and then stood up on her tiptoes to whisper into his ear.


“We’ll stay for the ceremony and just for a minute at the reception so you can meet my parents.” She gave him a small, reassuring smile and then a quick kiss on the cheek before leading him into the sanctuary.


Though the room was not very large, it was mostly filled when they entered and she and James were able to slip into a pew in the back without drawing too much attention. Once they were settled, Lily searched the crowd for a familiar face but could not spot more than a few scattered here and there.


“Have you ever been to a wedding before?” Lily asked James curiously as they waited for the ceremony to begin.


James seemed content playing with their intertwined fingers and did not respond for a few moments. Finally, he sighed and looked up to meet her eyes.


“No, not even a wizard one before. Our family is not that big and no one that we’ve known very well has ever gotten married,” he admitted.


She gave him an encouraging smile. “Well, I’ve never been to one either so it’s a first for us both.” James returned her smile half-heartedly and then turned his attention to an extremely large woman across the aisle.


“Who is that?” he asked Lily as the woman wrapped her arms around a beefy, mustached man.


Lily giggled at James’ bewildered expression. It appeared as though he had a similar impression of the family Petunia was marrying into as she did. “The man is Petunia’s fiancé, Vernon Dursley, and the woman is his mother,” she explained.


“Vernie!" the woman shrieked, squeezing her son tightly. "I can’t believe my little boy is all grown up and getting married!”


“Mum, not now!” Vernon grumbled. Lily and James stifled their laughs as he managed to escape his mother’s embrace, his face a dark shade of purple.


Lily tore her gaze from the Dursleys and leaned towards James. “I had the joy of meeting their whole family last summer,” she told him. “Vernon has a sister named Marge who doesn’t look very different.”


“Really?” James sniggered.


“Yeah, I should introduce you to her. She’s a real treat.” With a mischievous smile, Lily pointed across the aisle to where Vernon’s big-boned, snooty-looking sister was sitting.


“Oh, no. You wouldn’t…” James started, shaking his head.


“Oy, Marge!” Lily called.


Before she could say anything else, James clapped his hand over her mouth. “Lily,” he warned.


She pushed his hand away. “I was just kidding. But don’t worry, there’s still the reception,” she finished with a wink.


James folded his arms across his chest and rolled his eyes to exaggerate his indignation. Lily raised her eyebrows and was about to tease James again but was cut off when the music began, indicating the start of the ceremony. Leaning forward in her seat, she looked towards the aisle to watch as the wedding party entered the sanctuary.


Even though it was only her disagreeable older sister getting married to a man she knew she would never find charming, Lily did enjoy the wedding ceremony. The bridesmaid dresses were a lovely periwinkle color, Petunia looked stunning in her flowing white dress and seemed simply radiant next to her husband-to-be.


As Petunia and Vernon said their vows, Lily was brought back to how she and Petunia used to drape pillow cases behind themselves as little girls and pretend to be brides getting married. Although she and her sister had grown up and long drifted apart, today she felt all the more as if she was losing the big sister of her childhood. When the music finally played at the end of the ceremony Lily found herself wiping tears away.


“Lily, are you alright?” James asked, concernedly, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.


“Yeah. I guess it’s just a girl thing.” She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and sniffled. “I know I’m only eighteen but seeing that almost…almost makes me want to get married, too.”


James smiled and swiftly leaned in to kiss her on the forehead. “I’ll marry you. Just name the date.”


Lily blinked and tried to process James’ words. For some reason, the nonchalance unsettled her and left a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. As they rose from their seats, she tried to catch a glimpse of James’ expression for a sign of insincerity; however, before she could do more than turn his way, she was swept up into the throng of people headed for the church door.


They walked away from the church down the smoothly paved sidewalk, all the while Lily tried to tell herself that she was over-thinking. There was no need to analyze James’ words because there was no underlying hidden meaning to them. Still, for some reason, she felt uneasy.


“You okay?” James’ voice interrupted her thoughts. “You seem a little quiet.”


“Yeah, I’m fine. I guess I’m still a little in shock that my sister’s married now.”


James’ mouth turned up into one of his crooked smiles. “I would say I know what you mean, but I don’t have any siblings. I guess that means I can sympathize with you. ”


“Yeah,” agreed Lily, returning his smile. “Oh, by the way, what did you think of your first wedding?”


James pondered the question for a moment, seeming to search for the right words to say. “It was nice. Mind you, it didn’t have quite the same effect on me as it did on you because I didn’t know anyone…but I’m glad we went. Just think, before you know it, it’ll be me and you up there tying the knot.”


As James chuckled and pulled her into his side, Lily felt the same strange feeling in her stomach as she had earlier. But before her worry could show on her face, she quickly arranged her features into a pleasant smile.


“I think we’re far enough to apparate now, don’t you think?” Lily asked.


For a split second, James looked at her curiously and then composed his expression. He glanced down the empty street and took Lily’s hand, pulling her behind a tall elm. “Let’s go behind this tree, just to be safe.”


After the usual feeling of suffocation that came with apparition, Lily felt her feet touch the ground. She had just enough time to take in the cluster of trees surrounding her when James tumbled into her and knocked her to the ground.


“Sorry, I’m still not an expert at this,” he apologized, climbing off of her. Once he was standing, James reached out a hand and pulled Lily to her feet. “Are you sure you still want to go?”


“Yes, of course, James,” Lily replied. She gave her dress a final brush to remove any signs of dirt and looked up to see the uncertainty etched across James’ face. “You’ll be fine,” she said, taking his hand. Rubbing her thumb back and forth along his hand, Lily met his hazel eyes. “Remember, I told you that we’d just stay for a little while.”


Together they walked out from the trees and into the nearby hotel, following the sound of the music until they arrived at the hotel ballroom. When they entered the room, they walked under a balloon archway and saw the beautifully decorated room. The walls were strung with streamers and lights that glimmered and created a romantic ambiance. Surrounding the dance floor were tables set for dinner, each with a pristinely white tablecloth and an arrangement of flowers in the middle.


Within fifteen minutes, the room was packed with people, most of whom Lily had never seen in her life. However, in spite of this, she was still able to identify which guests were Petunia’s and which were Vernon’s. As they sat watching, Lily mentioned this to James but he frowned doubtfully.


“I’m serious,” she told him, leaning forward to scan the crowd. “Look at that man by the refreshments table. I have no idea who he is but I would bet you my wand he was invited by Vernon.”


James followed Lily’s gaze and examined the beefy bald man who was wiping his napkin across his moustache. “It’s a possibility,” he conceded, sneaking a glance at Lily who wore a triumphant smile.


They watched as the man brought his fist down to the table and made a heated comment to his tall, thin neighbor.


“Poor Scrawny,” Lily remarked, shaking her head. “He probably made an offensive comment about drills and Burly’s chewing him out.”


“Either that, or he insulted moustaches,” James replied. Their eyes met and they broke out laughing.


As Lily’s laughter died down, a pale, mousy haired woman and a bespectacled, thin man approached their table.


“Excuse us,” the man said snidely. “I’m afraid those are our seats.” As James controlled his laughter, the man raised his eyebrows, creating a great amount of lines on his forehead. “If you think this is a joke…”


“We’re sorry,” Lily said, grabbing James by the arm. “We’re leaving.”


Once Lily and James had made it across the room, they broke out laughing again. Of course, at that moment, the couple turned and glared at them, which sent them into hysterics.


“Did you …did you see…” James managed to say, catching Lily by the arm. “He…” James tilted his head down and gave Lily a fierce glare, raising his glasses up on his nose to imitate the man.


“Yeah, I saw,” Lily said between giggles. “They were definitely…invited by Petunia.”


“Did someone call me?”


Hearing her sister’s voice, Lily jabbed the still guffawing James in the side. Petunia would think even less of them if they looked like they were causing trouble at her wedding reception.


“Tuney,” Lily waved over her sister.


Petunia didn’t try to mask her surprise as she approached Lily and James. “Lily.” She shook her head slightly, speechless. “You came,” she finally said.


“Of course I came.” She embraced her sister. “Congratulations.”


When Lily released her, Petunia smiled slightly and opened her mouth to say something, but at the same moment her gaze fell on James. “You weren’t supposed to bring a guest,” she said, sharply. “I didn’t pay for him to eat dinner, too.” With that, she walked away without looking back.


As she watched Petunia stride away, Lily sighed. She felt James’ hand come to rest on her shoulder.


“At least you tried,” he said, comfortingly.


“Yeah,” she said, turning to face him. “I should probably introduce you to my parents now before she makes up a story about how awful you are.”


“Sounds good to me,” James said, wrapping his arm around her waist.


Lily spotted her parents as soon as the announcement for dinner was made. After weaving through a crowd of guests headed to the dinner tables, Lily reached her parents. Her mother was busy directing the servers but her father noticed her and James and a wide grin spread across his face.


“Lily!” called the familiar, deep voice.


“Dad!” She threw her arms around her father’s tall figure.


“It’s great to see you, Lils,” the balding man exclaimed, releasing her.


“You, too,” Lily replied, smiling from ear to ear. “Dad, I’d like to introduce you to James Potter.”


Mr. Evans looked James over and reached out to shake his hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, James.”


“You too, sir,” James responded, politely.


“I take it you’re taking good care of my Lily, here,” Mr. Evans said, inclining his head slightly.


“Oh, yes,” James smiled. “She’s great.”


Mr. Evans nodded approvingly. “So, Lily, where did Petunia put you and James for dinner?”


“Lily!” cried a different, higher pitched voice. “You made it!”


Mr. Evans, Lily, and James turned to see a small, red-haired woman rushing forward to greet them. Before Lily could reply, her mother wrapped her arms around her and pulled her close.


“I’m so glad you’re here, sweetie.” She released Lily wearing a kind smile and then turned to survey James. “Look who you brought.”


Lily blushed and took hold of James’ hand. “Mum, this is James, my boyfriend.”


James reached out to shake Lily’s mother’s hand. “How are you, Mrs. Evans?”


“Good, thanks.” Then leaning towards Lily she whispered loudly, “He’s polite and cute.”


“Mum!” Lily mumbled.


Mr. Evans cleared his throat to save Lily from further embarrassment. “So, as I was saying…”


“Yes, right,” Lily said, a little flustered. “Well, James was never actually invited to the reception. So, now that he’s met you two, we might head out.”


Mrs. Evans waved a hand, dismissively. “Nonsense. Mrs. Cormier wasn’t feeling well so she and her husband left after the ceremony. You two can have their places at our table.”


Lily glanced at James uncertainly but he raised a hand, motioning for her not to worry. “The reception’s actually been more enjoyable than I expected. I don’t mind staying longer,” he said with a smile.


Before Lily could protest, Mr. and Mrs. Evans’ attention was diverted by a pair of servers leaving Lily and James no choice left but to take their seats. With the table still empty Lily took the opportunity to turn to James, asking his opinion of her parents.


“Your dad has your eyes,” was James’ first response.


Laughing, Lily rolled her eyes. “Everyone tells me that. It’s funny, my grandfather had green eyes, too, and my dad told me that everyone used to tell him he had his father’s eyes.”


James chuckled. “Maybe you’ll pass it on to your son or daughter some day.”


“Maybe.” Lily shrugged her shoulders. “But what else? What did you think of my mum?” she pressed.


“She seemed nice. But I only saw her for two minutes. We’ll probably talk more during dinner.” James’ expression became worried. “You think your parents liked me, right?”


Lily placed her hand on top of James.’ “Definitely.”


Once all the guests were seated, Petunia and Vernon were toasted and a speech was made, dinner was served. To her delight, Lily knew everyone at her table. In addition to her parents, there was an old family friend accompanied by his wife, and Lily's grandmother. While everyone ate, Lily introduced the table to James as the boyfriend she met at boarding school and everyone seemed to love him. He spoke eloquently and with charm and even made up a story about how he was pursuing a career to become a doctor to Lily's amusement. By the time the music came on to signal the beginning of the dancing, Lily’s mother was insistent that Lily dance with James.


“But mum, no one else is dancing,” Lily protested.


“Yes they are,” Mrs. Evans countered. “Lily, he’s such a nice boy, go dance with him. You’re only young once.” She gave her daughter a small nudge in the back and Lily threw her mother a scowl over her shoulder before she left with James.


They strolled away from the dinner table but didn’t dance to the upbeat song playing. “Well your mother certainly liked me,” James said with a smirk.


Lily slapped him lightly in the shoulder, hiding a smile. “Don’t be so cocky.”


“No, I bet I could have proposed to you tonight and she wouldn’t have minded.”


Lily inhaled sharply and felt her dinner turn in her stomach. Once again James was referring to the prospect of their marrying. “That might be going out on a limb,” she disagreed. When James opened his mouth, Lily quickly interrupted him. “And I don’t want you to try it either.”


For the next few songs they stood in silence watching the other guests dance to the music. Lily was about to suggest finding their seats again when a sweet, slow dancing song began to play. Instantly, she was brought back to the night of Slughorn’s Halloween party when she had danced with James before they started dating. She could still remember the spice of his cologne that night and his tenseness as they danced closer together…


“Do you remember?” she asked without thinking, regretting her words as soon as she said them. James was a boy. Of course he wouldn’t remember something as specific as the song they danced to nearly five months ago.


“Yes” James answered softly. “I remember the song.”


Lily turned to him, shocked, but before she could say anything, James held out his hand to her. “Do you want to dance?”


Transfixed by the smoldering of his hazel eyes, Lily nodded and allowed herself to be led onto the dance floor. This time there was no awkward hesitation and she immediately slipped her arms around James’ neck as he drew her close and wrapped his arms around her waist.


As the chorus played, they swayed slowly to the beat. Lily laid her head against James’ chest and closed her eyes wishing the song would never end. She wanted to forget her concerns and remember everything about this moment.


The song eventually ended but Lily and James danced to most of the other slow songs throughout the rest of the evening as well as to quite a few of the faster paced ones. Lily was pleased because for once at a family event, she knew that people weren’t staring at her because of the fact that she was the other Evans girl who went to boarding school ten months of the year. Whenever she tore her gaze away from James, she saw raised eyebrows and knowing smiles.


Of course none of this seemed to bother James in the slightest. In fact, at the end of the final song before Petunia was scheduled to throw her bouquet, he dipped Lily and lightly pressed his lips to hers, earning a wolf whistle from a bystander.


Blushing, Lily pulled James aside. “It’s getting late. Don’t you think we should be leaving?”


James threw an arm around her shoulders. “No, this is fun. Besides, your sister’s due to throw the bouquet any minute.” As soon as the words left his mouth, the DJ made an announcement and a crowd of women gathered in the center of the dance floor.


“Come on, let’s go watch,” James suggested, leading her over to the group of women.


Suddenly, the bouquet became visible as it flew through the air above the women’s heads. In the clamor to catch it, a large woman knocked Lily aside and almost tripped her. Lily steadied herself and then looked up to see who caught the bouquet just to find it still traveling through the air, much too slowly. In shock, she watched as the bouquet soared past the other women and landed in her arms.


When she glanced up to see James hiding a smirk she knew exactly what he had done. Quickly, she examined the indignant faces of the other women, but none of them seemed to realize that their Muggle laws of gravity had been overruled by magic.


“James!” she hissed at him.


“What?” he asked innocently.


“You shouldn’t have done that!” Lily reprimanded.


“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Lily,” James replied with a wink.


Lily groaned in frustration. “Let’s go,” she demanded, grabbing him by the sleeve.


“Just one minute.”


As the DJ announced the next event, Lily pulled even harder at James’ sleeve, knowing what he was planning to do now. She leaned towards him to whisper sharply, “Why would you do this? Why? You can’t intervene!”


Just like with the bouquet, Lily watched as Petunia’s garter smoothly soared over the heads of the other men to easily land in James’ open arms.


But before Lily could steer James towards the door, a couple of men dragged over a chair and pushed Lily into it. With a sly smile, James knelt down and reached for her leg. If they had been alone, Lily would have kicked him. However, because they were the center of attention at her sister’s wedding, Lily grimaced and allowed James to slide the garter up her leg.


When he stood up, the crowd broke out into applause. With a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, Lily grabbed James by the arm and pulled him off the dance floor.


“And there goes the happy, soon to be wed couple!” the DJ called after them.


Lily shot a glare at James and turned to grab her purse and bid goodbye to her family before angrily striding out of the hotel.


“Lily, it was supposed to be fun,” James maintained once they were outside. “Maybe even romantic…” He gave Lily a sheepish grin.


“Well, James, it wasn’t.” She hitched her purse higher on her shoulder and continued walking down the street. “It was embarrassing and it could have exposed us!”


He made a dismissive noise. “No, it wasn’t. It’s not like I made the bouquet and garter do flips or anything.”


“Still, it was unnecessary and inappropriate and””
James grabbed her shoulder and held up his hands. “Whoa, what’s gotten into you? I didn’t break the law. I just””


“Excuse me?” Lily interrupted, rounding on James. “Have you ever heard of the International Statue of Wizarding Secrecy?”


“No one even suspected anything,” he argued back.


“But if they did, who knows what could have happened!” She exhaled sharply and resumed walking. After she had gone a little ways, however, she didn’t hear James’ footsteps behind her. Turning around, Lily saw him still standing underneath the streetlight a few paces behind her giving her a strange look.


“Lily, why is this such a big deal?”


She opened her mouth to reply but quickly shut it. James wouldn’t understand what was really bothering her. He’d think she was over-thinking things.


When Lily remained silent, James continued. “Yes, I used magic and tried to have some fun. But that’s who I am and you know it. Even if I’ve toned it down a bit this year, there’ll always be this spontaneous, irrational side of me.”


Lily waited a moment before she replied. “I know, James. And that’s part of you that I fell in love with,” she admitted softly.


James walked towards her and they proceeded down the street side by side. “So tell me what’s really bothering you, Lily. Somehow I get the impression that you’re not just upset about my nearly exposing us.”


Lily shrugged her shoulders and stared at the ground.


“Lily, come on,” James sighed.


“It’s nothing, James,” Lily answered, waving a hand. “Don’t worry about it.”


James caught her by the shoulder. “No, if something is bothering you, I’m going to worry about.”


Lily shook off his hand. “Well, don’t waste your time. It’s nothing of consequence.” Again, she resumed walking until she heard James groan.


“Lily!” She turned around to see him throw his hands up into the air. “Merlin, I don’t understand women.” In two long strides, he made his way over to her and grabbed her wrist, pulling them into an alleyway between two run-down looking stores.


“James, what are you doing?”


He took a deep breath and composed his face. “I want to understand what’s wrong and please don’t tell me it’s nothing,” he began, speaking slowly and gently. Lily opened her mouth to reply but James put a finger over her lips so she wouldn’t interrupt him. “Just about every time I’ve mentioned marriage today, you’ve gotten this strange look on your face. Then to top it off, when I made you catch the bouquet, which is something by the way that I thought you’d love and think was romantic, you freak out on me. I honestly didn’t mean to upset or offend you tonight, but if I did, please tell me. I can’t read your mind, Lily.”


Lily looked back at him, feeling a little sheepish. “Well, now it’s going to sound dumb…or you’ll think I’m acting like a little girl.”


James put his hands on her shoulders. “Just tell me.”


“Okay…well, you probably know that when I decide I want something, I’m dead serious about it," she began. "That’s a part of who I am.”


James nodded, waiting for her to continue.


“Back in the church and at the reception, you kept mentioning us getting married but it sounded so casual that it came off as almost fake…and I guess it caught me off guard,” Lily admitted sheepishly.


“Lily, I”” James began but Lily held up a hand to silence him.


“I’m not finished. I know you’re going to say that you were serious, but here’s my bigger point. I was just being emotional at the ceremony when I said that I wanted to get married now. For me, marriage is a very serious undertaking and I won’t be ready for a few years still.” She gazed into his hazel eyes and swallowed. For some reason this was harder to do than she had thought it would be. “James, you’re not even eighteen yet and, if you don’t really count Olivia, I’m the first serious girlfriend you’ve had…”


“…What are you getting at, Lily?”


She took another deep breath. “…James, I love you. But, if you’ve never really dated anyone else, never really had anything to compare to, how can you be sure that you love me? That you actually want to spend the rest of your life with me?” This time she couldn’t meet James’ eyes. As she stared at her feet, a tear unexpectedly dripped off the end of her nose and she felt angry with herself for letting James see how much this upset her.


Suddenly, she felt James pull her against his chest and wrap his arms tightly around her. “Lily, I wouldn’t care if I had dated one girl or fifteen girls before you. No one else would mean as much to me as you do.” He kissed the top of her head and then pulled away to see her face. “The bigger question, though, is if you’re sure you’re not having these doubts about me?”


Lily crinkled her eyebrows and cocked her head slightly. “Didn’t I just tell you”?”


James raised his hand to stop her. “Yes, but don’t you see that I’m the same way? I think it’s quite obvious, actually. I’m sure you remember how I pursued you for years, waiting for you to give me a chance. I believe I actually proposed to you in fifth year.” He threw her a crooked grin and then his expression turned serious. “I love you so much, Lily. If one of us was the unsure one in this relationship, it’d be you.”


Lily took a step back and leaned against the cold hard wall of the abandoned building, letting James’ words sink in. Her heart was pounding so hard in her chest that when she looked down she almost expected to see it making a small bulge in her skin. Exhaling slowly, she realized that she had stopped breathing while James had been speaking. But that didn’t matter. She felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. When she looked up to meet James’ eyes, he was shaking his head.


“Lily, what am I going to do with you?” Before he gave her a chance to speak, James closed the gap between them and pressed his lips to hers.


The feel of James’ lips on hers evoked passion in Lily at once. She kissed James back with all her might and reached up to wrap her arms around his neck as he ran his hands up and down her waist. Caught up in the fervor of the kiss, Lily pulled James even closer until she was completely pressed up against the wall.


She stretched her hands up to grasp his dark tangles of hair while they explored each other’s mouths and then James abandoned her lips to leave a trail of kisses across her jaw and down her neck.


Breathing heavily, Lily helped James take off his suit jacket. Then, daringly, she raised her leg to hitch it around James’ hip as she caught his lips once more. After a few moments, James lifted her whole body so she could wrap her legs around his waist. As they continued to kiss, Lily briefly became aware that they were going farther than they ever had before. However, almost immediately, she pushed the thought away; she was in love, she was practically engaged.


Once James began to pull at the straps of her dress, Lily seemed to come back to reality. They were in an alleyway surrounded by dirt and garbage cans.


“James,” she said, breathlessly. “Stop, we can’t…”


James looked up at her, confused. “I’m sorry if it was too much”” he started to say.


“No, just this isn’t romantic at all,” Lily confessed.


He glanced at their surroundings and then put Lily back down. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”


Lily reached down to pick up her purse and suddenly heard a loud crash. Instantly, she turned around to see James picking himself off the ground.


“Sorry, I tripped over the trash can,” he said, slipping his jacket back on.


Lily laughed at his clumsiness. “Are you okay?”


“Fantastic. I”” James had suddenly stopped speaking and cocked his head towards the wall.


“What?” Lily asked.


James beckoned her towards him and put his finger to his lips. As she moved closer, the front door to the abandoned building closest to them opened. Quickly, James grabbed her hand and pulled her against the wall beside him. Because they were in the alleyway, Lily couldn’t see who the person was, but a gut instinct was telling her it wasn’t an ordinary Muggle shopkeeper.
Chapter Endnotes: So what do you think?

Any ideas as to who discovered Lily and James?