Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

More than Meets the Eye by lilybobily7

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey everyone. Sorry I've been m.i.a for the past month or so. To reward you all here's a long, dramatic chapter. =]

In the distance, a shadow appeared and then a moment later, a person came into view at the mouth of the alleyway. Lily tried to make out the stranger’s features but James pulled her further into the shadows and slightly behind him, making a last effort to hide them from view.


“Well, well, well, who do we have here?” a male voice taunted, breaking the silence. As he came closer, Lily saw that he was a tall, scrawny teenager with a pug like face. She recognized him as one of the boys she’d seen in Severus’ posse of Slytherin friends.


“Avery,” James muttered under his breath. While Avery leered at them, Lily saw James slowly reach into his pocket where he kept his wand.


“It looks to me like I’ve found Potter prat and…” Avery leaned to the side to get a glimpse of Lily, “the Mudblood.”


“Don’t call her that!” James replied, hotly, drawing his wand and taking a side step so he was directly in front of Lily.


Avery raised his eyebrows and drew his wand as well. “Little defensive, aren’t we, Potter?”


“What do you want, Avery?” James asked, tersely.


The Slytherin boy smirked. “I’m going to need you two to come with me.”


James made an indignant sound. “What makes you think I’d follow you?”


“Yes,” Lily added, stepping out from behind James. “There are two of us and only one of you.” She drew her wand with a flourish and returned Avery’s smirk.


Avery laughed. “However, unfortunately, Mudblood, there are more inside that would be happy to join me if you put up a fight.”


Stupefy!” James cried.


Still chuckling, Avery deflected the spell. “Interesting. I guess if you want it to be that way, Cruc””


“Now, now, Avery. The Dark Lord is waiting.”


Lily, who had closed her eyes waiting for the curse, opened them now to see Lucius Malfoy with his hand on Avery’s shoulder. She glanced at James out of the corner of her eye and he looked wary. Even though they had last seen Malfoy as Hogwarts Head Boy several years ago, they had heard rumors that he had joined the Death Eaters and his words now seemed to confirm this.


Malfoy turned his attention to James and Lily. “It would not be in your best interests to start a fight. Expelliarmus.”


Lily watched with mingled surprise and indignation as hers and James’ wands flew out of their hands into Malfoy’s. He then paused for a moment to give them an insolent smile before casting another spell.


Insideo!” Malfoy said sharply with a flick of his wand. “Now follow.”


With that, the Death Eater turned on his heel, his billowy black robes trailing behind him. Reluctantly, Lily and James moved towards the opening of the alleyway after him. As Avery was closely following them from behind, Lily only managed to exchange a brief glance with James, silently affirming that Malfoy had disabled them from disapparating. Immediately, he understood her apprehension and reached out for her hand.


Together, they made their way into the cluttered, cobwebby shop. But before Lily could get the chance to look around, she was led up a dilapidated staircase. Upstairs furniture and dusty bookcases had been pushed aside to create an expansive space. In the dim light she could see a number of chairs arranged in a semi-circle surrounding one great chair that was turned away from the stairs. As they approached, Lily caught the end of a whispered discussion.


“He said he needs it protected, Mulciber,” came a strident female voice.


“But the cup will be”” another deeper voice argued.


“Not as well as it would be in my vault””


“Enough!” a new, oddly snake like voice commanded. “Our visitors have arrived.”


“What happened to Avery disposing of them?” asked a Death Eater with a gruff voice.


“It proved to be unnecessary. They weren’t Muggles after all,” Avery explained, coming around to stand next to the largest chair. He glanced at Lily. “Or at least one wasn’t.”


At that moment, the chair turned around to face Lily, James, and the accompanying Death Eaters. Lily was barely able to contain her gasp as she saw the wizard’s face. Though he was wearing a hood, his pallid and strangely distorted face was easily visible. Lord Voldemort’s gaze moved from James to Lily and when the blood red eyes met hers, she couldn’t help but shrink into James’ side.


“I see you found the son of an Auror and…a spare,” Voldemort said, addressing Avery and Malfoy.


James’ grip on Lily’s hand tightened and he inhaled sharply. Voldemort seemed to sense how his words antagonized James and turned his attention back to them, his gaze lingering on their intertwined hands.


“I see I may have upset you,” Voldemort remarked, speaking to James now. “Potter, isn’t it? You do look so much like your father.” He spoke with a malicious smirk on his face.


James kept quiet but stared back into Voldemort’s eyes.


“I must tell you that I’m pleased to finally meet you,” he continued, conversationally. “Your parents have caused me quite a bit of trouble lately.” Voldemort rose from his chair and began to pace the floor in front of James and Lily.


After a moment, he turned to meet James’ gaze and his scarlet eyes flashed. “Yes, Potter. You know what I’m talking about. Think back to conversations you might have overheard at Order meetings you weren’t supposed to attend.”


Out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw James press his lips tightly together and glare at Voldemort’s feet.


The dark wizard paused to press his finger to his chin, thoughtfully. “Yes, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it? You’re prying and careless just like your parents, aren’t you, Potter?”


As Voldemort laughed derisively, Lily watched James’ fists curls up into tight balls.


Accio wands!” James cried. Before Voldemort or any of the Death Eaters could react, two wands flew out of Malfoy’s pocket into James’ hand. Just as he was handing Lily her wand back, Voldemort directed his wand towards them, shouting “Crucio!”


All of a sudden, Lily, who had been tensed waiting for the curse to strike James, was consumed with excruciating pain. She fell to her knees and screamed, unable to see, hear, or think clearly. Her brain could not process anything else besides the intolerable pain that coursed through her body. When the curse was lifted, she found herself lying on her side on the ground. Opening her eyes she heard anguished voices calling her name.


Everte Statum!” James bellowed, shooting a jet of light at Voldemort. With a dismissive sniff, Voldemort deflected the jinx.


Crucio!”


James ducked and narrowly missed the curse. As he aimed another spell at Voldemort, he bent down to pull Lily up from the ground.


“Watch Avery,” he whispered in her ear as Voldemort deflected James’ spell.


While James dodged yet another one of Voldemort’s curses, Lily turned her attention to the Death Eater, fingering his wand. He kept glancing between James and Voldemort as if he were watching a Muggle game of tennis.


Lily’s stun hit Avery just as he raised his arm towards James. Pleased with her work, she looked over the other Death Eaters, all of whom were transfixed by Voldemort and James’ duel. As she reached the end of the group, however, she found herself staring into the eyes of Severus Snape.


Astonishment rooted her to the spot. Even though she knew that Severus had joined with the Death Eaters, it nonetheless caught her off guard to see him among a group of wizards and witches who wanted her and James dead. Suddenly, horror filled Severus’s eyes and his mouth dropped open to shout something. Puzzled, Lily turned just in time to see James collide into her. As they fell to the ground, a jet of green light whizzed over their heads.


“My Lord!” Severus cried, emotion saturating his voice. “Please spare her!”


Surprised by the interjection, Voldemort turned to fix his gaze upon Severus.


“What use do we have for a Muggle-born?” Severus reasoned, gesturing to Lily. “She doesn’t know anything. Neither of them do.”


Lily and James picked themselves off the ground and watched with rapt attention as Voldemort considered Severus’ words.


“You have feelings for the Mudblood, don’t you, Snape?” He paused, letting this allegation sink in. “You know she is unworthy of you.”


Severus neither confirmed nor denied Voldemort’s accusation. “But she is innocent. At least let her go unharmed.”


“But why, Snape?” Voldemort asked, irritably. “Surely you see the advantage of her presence and the effect it has on the boy.”


“Yes, my lord. However, what if I propose a deal? I know of a particular person whose thoughts have strayed to the Dark Arts, but would never have enough courage to side with us on his own. If the girl goes free, I could…provide him with an extra push…” Severus gazed intently into Voldemort’s eyes.


“Very well, Snape. Fools are often wonderful resources.” He turned around to face James and Lily again. “The girl may go free, but erase her memory.”


With wide eyes, Lily watched Severus rise from his seat while Voldemort leered at James. Clinging to James’ arm she shook her head at him.


“What are you doing?” she cried in shock as Severus approached her. “Locomotor Mortis!”


Severus dodged her Leg-locker Curse. “Sedo Persona,” he said, aiming his wand at Lily.


Protego!” James yelled, trying to put himself in front of Lily.


In the midst of everything, Voldemort raised his wand once more and sent a stream of red light in James’ direction.


“James, watch out!” Lily shouted, pushing him out of the way just in time. Just as she sent a disarming spell towards Voldemort, Severus grabbed Lily around the waist and pried her arms off James.


“Lily!” James shouted as yet another spell flew by him.


Tears welled up in her eyes as Lily struggled in Severus’ arms. “Why are you doing this?” she demanded. “He’s going to kill him!”


Despite Lily’s best efforts, Severus managed to drag her down the stairs. As soon as he released her from his arms, Lily slapped him across the face.


Incarcerous,” Severus said with a flick of his wand.


Instantly, ropes wound their way around Lily and she stumbled.


“I’m sorry, but it’s for the best, Lily,” Severus said, righting her and lifting her to sit on top of a dusty desk.


Lily shook off Severus’ hands and gave him a death glare. “Yes, letting Voldemort kill James is for the best.” Once she had said those words out loud, her rage and grief consumed her. She pushed against the ropes that bound her and kicked, hoping and praying that she would hit Severus. “You know I would rather die than have to hear him be murdered,” she said, heatedly.


“Lily, Lily!” he pleaded. “Stop it! Sedo Persona!”


All of a sudden, a wave of serenity washed over Lily and she stopped struggling against the ropes. A small part of her still fought back, telling her that it was just the effect of Severus’ spell.


Then she could hear Voldemort’s voice upstairs coldly address James. “You know if you cooperate with me, Potter, I’m sure we could get along splendidly. You see, unlike your Mudblood girlfriend,” the dark wizard continued, “I know you come from a long line of pureblood wizards and witches. If you accept my proposition, there is no reason at all for me to harm””


“I’ll never join you!” James spat.


Even now James was brave enough to stand up to Voldemort instead of begging for mercy. Lily felt tears begin to flow down her cheeks. She kept waiting for Voldemort to speak the words that would end James’ life”that would end her life as she knew it.


“Lily, you have to leave. If they come down and find you like this…” Severus spoke urgently and then trailed off, looking at her anxiously.


Annoyed and frustrated in spite of the calming spell, Lily turned her attention to Severus. “What are you talking about?”


Severus lowered his voice. “I won’t wipe your memory”I’m actually not positive if I know how to do it correctly”but you have to leave.”


“James…” Lily sobbed, as Voldemort began laughing maniacally.


“I’ll give you one last chance, Potter,” Voldemort’s voice rang clearly. “Will I have to kill you tonight or will you join me?”


Back downstairs, Severus’ expression was twisted with indecision. “If you won’t leave because of him, you’ll have to hide,” he finally told Lily. “Relashio.”


The ropes fell from Lily and Severus wrapped an arm around her waist to guide her across the room.


“Never!” she heard James shout.


“Didn’t anyone ever tell you to be nice to your elders, Potty?” a woman yelled, mockingly. “Crucio!”


Lily winced as James’ cries of pain echoed throughout the entire building.


“Bella, leave this to me,” Voldemort said. “I want to finish the Potters’ son!”


As Severus directed Lily behind a large bookshelf piled with all sorts of magical objects, she heard Voldemort shout the words that would kill James.


James. Lily felt as if the world had frozen in time. James couldn’t be dead. Struggling against Severus’ calming spell, she forced herself to her feet and raced across the room. She had imagined everything. She was sure of it.


Vaguely she heard Severus calling her name, begging for her to return. Ignoring him, Lily started up the stairs, adrenaline coursing through her veins. She had to make sure James was okay. And if he wasn’t (the mere thought of it made her nauseous), Voldemort would have to answer to her.


“James!” she cried, drawing her wand, steeling herself for the worst.


Suddenly, she was falling backwards and her vision was obscured by darkness.
Chapter Endnotes: Please tell me what you think? What do you think of the cliffhanger ending? Any ideas as to what's going to happen?

Only another chapter or so of this story. :(

~Julia~