Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Thinking of you. by randomscribblings

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Blah blah I don't own any of this, I don't even own the madeup character really! The werewolf subplot thing with Juliet the madeup is really thanks to my friend on neopets, irish_slayer_gal, but she doesn't mind. Oh and thanks for all the reviews! I didn't think I'd get so many! Sooooo ... on with the story!



Sorry about this, but there’s not too much SB/RL in this chapter. Its mostly just developing the story, but I promise you more romance in the next chapter, hopefully! Oh, and thanks for all the review so far, they're very encouraging!


Sirius quickly looked away from Remus, and began scanning the grounds yet again. Nothing much had changed apart from the fact that Juliet Brown was reading with Lily now, they were both settled quite comfortably on the grass under an oak tree, silently reading books. Juliet and Lily were best friends, mainly because they both enjoyed reading as much as the other. In spite of this Juliet sometimes conversed with the marauders, much to Lily’s disgust. Juliet and Remus got on quite well, and they were often seen going over their homework notes together. She had very pale skin, which appeared even paler due to her midnight black hair. Her crystal blue eyes always appeared faraway, as if her thoughts weren’t really with the goings on around her. She was also a Gryffindor fifth year, which helped, as Lily and her were almost inseparable.

As if he was merely bored with the peacefulness of the afternoon, Sirius cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled,

“Hey, Jo! Over here!” Lily gave Juliet a meaningful look, and nodded her head slowly. Juliet returned the nod and stood up, strolling over to the three boys and their tree. She lifted a hand in greeting to both James and Sirius, and offered one of her small, rare smiles to Remus.

“Hi Juliet,” Remus muttered, though his eyes were still on his open book. Juliet’s smile faded a little, and she lowered he eyes down to her feet.

”God Remmy, its Jo. How many times do I have to tell you?” she said quietly with a hint of remorse.

”Jo then,” Remus replied just as quietly, clearly far too immersed in his book to be bothered by such a trivial thing as someone’s name.

James glanced up to the castle, and to his annoyance, he noticed Severus Snape who was making his way down to the lake. The only reason that James didn’t lift is wand right then and blast Snape’s oily nose into smithereens was that he knew Lily would eternally hate him if he did such a thing. That is, if she didn’t already eternally hate him. She had a thing for standing up for Snape, or maybe she just felt it was her duty as a prefect. Either way, he didn’t deserve it, he was always calling her names because she was a muggle born. James thought that Severus was going to do the usual “ slither over to his spot by the lake and bury his greasy nose in a book. So, the Gryffindor turned his head, deciding to attempt a conversation with Sirius. But, out of the corner of his sharp, Quidditch trained eye, he saw that Snape was approaching Lily. Juliet had noticed too, as she’d ripped her gaze off of Remus’ face and was staring over her shoulder at Lily and Snape. Juliet was definitely not one of those girly bookworm types who avoided fights at all costs. Sure, she enjoyed studying, but anyone who had been on the receiving end of one of her frogs legs hexes never forgot it in a hurry. She jumped up suddenly and straightened her robes, then marched over to where Snape and Lily appeared to be deep in conversation. James followed suit, quickly checking his back pocket for his wand.

”What are you doing Snape? Picking on girls?” James snarled once he reached the other three. Snape looked away from Lily and a faint grimace appeared on his pallid face as his cold, grey eyes rested on James.

”What are you talking about Potter?” he answered coolly, folding his arms across his chest. Lily gaped noiselessly from James, to Snape, to Juliet, then back to James, her emerald eyes darting back and forth as if she were watching a fly.

”Just because you hate Snape with a passion doesn’t mean I can’t talk with him,” she said quietly but firmly.

”We were discussing our O.W.L.s,” she continued, but paused at James’ vacant expression.

”You know, O.W.L.s? The exams we’re all taking in two months?” she added desperately, waving her arms around in exasperation.

”That’s ages away! I mean, I knew you two are swots but, that’s going a bit too far isn’t it?” James replied, laughing a little at his own words. Snape smirked, pulling at a loose thread on his sleeve..

“Potter, shut up,” Snape said slowly, but raising his voice a little which made a nearby group of first years cease their nattering to observe the unfolding drama.

“Snape,” Lily warned, obviously sensing that there was an argument brewing.

”You can shut it too, Mudblood,” Snape said a little louder, almost yelling no w. Before either Juliet or James could do anything, Lily was running back up to the castle tears streaming down her cheeks.

”That’s your cue to follow her in a n attempt to comfort her,” a low voice murmured at James’ elbow, who turned to see that Remus was standing a little behind him, obviously watching the whole thing. James listened to Remus’ words, (for once) and high-tailed it up towards the castle. Joliet watched as he ran off, before turning to glare at Snape once the boy had disappeared into the castle.

”You make me sick,” she spat, staring unblinkingly at him.

”Me? Make you sick? You’re the wolf!” Snape replied casually, returning Juliet’s stare clearly awaiting her reaction with interest.

Remus wasn’t sure what to make of those three words. Could quiet, studious Juliet really be a fellow werewolf? True, she did have monthly mood swings and sometimes appeared a little worse for wear, but wasn’t that more or less normal? Besides, Remus was usually so stressed and worn out when a full moon was approaching, he didn’t bother much about his friends’ appearances.

Juliet fell silent, her small blue eyes slowly filling up with tears, then she too was sprinting up to the castle. Snape threw Remus a careless glance, then made his way over to a clump of bushed, sitting down and starting a nice big Dark Arts book. Remus shrugged, deciding to forget the whole episode. He returned to Sirius, who was still sitting underneath the tree, appearing a little piqued and staring expressionlessly across the lake to the Forbidden Forest.

”What’s the matter Padders?” Remus inquired, once he was sitting on the grass beside Sirius. The werewolf was a little surprised at his friend’s behavior, who normally couldn’t stop talking.

”Nothing. Just thinking,” Sirius mumbled in reply, eyes still fixed on the forest as if he couldn’t bring himself to look at Remus.

”Yeah right. You’re never quiet and you never think,” Remus murmured. There were a few moments of silence, during which Remus thought of Juliet, and Sirius thought about Remus. Should he go after her? He was very curious as to whether she was really a werewolf or not … while Sirius’ brain was full of Remus: Should he confess? You only live once, what if he died tomorrow? Sirius slowly opened his mouth, willing himself to speak when Remus suddenly said,

”I’m just going to find Jo.” Sirius bit his lip, glad that he hadn’t spoke. Remus obviously liked Jo, so there was no point. Even so … he compromised and decided to follow Remus to see what happened. Remus stood up and made his way up to the castle, blissfully unaware of Sirius who was but a few feet behind him the whole way.

It didn’t take him long to find Juliet “ he knew one of her favorite places where she tucked herself away with a good book. And sure enough, she was huddled up in a corner near the History of Magic classroom. She was facing away from him, but Remus could tell she was sobbing her heart out. Her shoulders were shaking uncontrollably and soft whimpering sounds were escaping her mouth every now and then. Remus crept up slowly behind her, and cleared his throat a little louder than he’d intended. She turned round quickly, revealing her red and blotchy tear-stained face. She chewed on her bottom lip, then turned away again.

”Moony?” came a voice from behind Remus, who whipped round and was surprised to see Sirius standing a few steps behind him.

”How did you get here? What do you want?” Remus blurted, wishing to get back to Juliet. He stared silently at the other boy for a while. For some reason Sirius’ usually haughty expression was replaced by a timid one. Maybe even a vulnerable one? Sirius vulnerable?

”I just wanted to tell you something,” Sirius replied softly, gazing intently at Remus with an odd look in his grey eyes.

”Can’t it wait? I need to talk with Jo,” Remus replied hastily, before turning back to Juliet who seemed to be ignoring the two boys.

”Remus, please just leave me alone,” Juliet said weakly, if a bit suddenly without looking at him. At this point Sirius walked away, giving up on the whole situation. At least Remus would be happy with Jo, and that’s all that mattered to him … wasn’t it?

“But Jo, I need to ask you something,” Remus pleaded. She looked up at him, her clear blue eyes filled with tears.

”Remmy just leave it,” she said dismally, averting her eyes from him for once.

”Are you, I mean did Snape lie about you being a “ “

“A werewolf,” she finished for him indifferently. “Yes, its true. I have no idea how he found out, but its true,” she added slowly, looking back up at Remus.

”Really? That’s brilliant!” Remus replied on an impulse, his voice free of sympathy.

”Its not brilliant, its horrible,” she said dully, a small tear rolling down one pink cheek.

”I know how you feel,” said Remus softly, leaning against the wall opposite Juliet.

”No you don’t,” she said bluntly. Remus nodded his head slowly, deciding there was nothing else for it but to tell her the truth.

”I know you won’t believe you, that you’ll think I’m making it up to make you feel better, but I’m a werewolf,” Remus said slowly and carefully, praying that she’d take him seriously. He couldn’t even begin to describe his feelings “ he just couldn’t believe his luck! He’d managed to find another werewolf, someone who truly understood the ordeal he had to go through every month. Yes, there were James, Sirius and Peter, but they didn’t know what it was really like. They thought it was an excuse to have a laugh, staying out all night, running around disguised as animals.

”Really?” Juliet said, her eyes brightening a little. “But, why didn’t they tell us?” she mused, referring to Dumbledore as ‘they.’ Remus shrugged, relieved that she at least seemed to believe him.

”Dumbledore probably had his reasons,” he answered thoughtfully. Juliet smiled weakly at him, and lifted a limp hand to wipe away a few tears.

”I know I’m being over the top. I don’t know why I’m crying,” she said finally after a few moments pause.

”Well I suppose I should go and see what Sirius wants. See you at dinner!” Remus said cheerfully. Juliet opened her mouth as if to say something, but then snapped it shut again. Remus smiled encouragingly down at her, then turned on his heel, heading for Gryffindor Tower.

”Oh, and Remus? Thanks!” she called after the retreating boy, who disappeared round the corner at the end of the corridor.

”Polyjuice,” he muttered under his breath a few minutes later as he reached the portrait outside the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. The door swung open, revealing an empty room, apart from a lone figure sitting by the fireplace. Apart from a fifth year with a mop of black hair. Apart from Sirius Black.