Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Beasts, Beings, and Everything in Between by OliveOil_Med

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Creatures T-Z




Tebo
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Tebos are ash-colored warthogs that reside in Congo and Zaire. They have the power of invisibility, like many other creatures. Because of this, the creature is especially difficult to evade and catch. This makes the creature very dangerous, as well. The reasons most wizards will chase after this creature, however, is because its hide is highly prized for shields and clothing.



Troll
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Trolls originated in Scandinavia, but today, they can be found in most parts of Europe. These creatures can grow to be nearly twelve feet tall and weigh more than a ton. These creatures are extremely strong physically, violent, and unpredictable, as well as highly stupid.

These creatures, like many, seem to have a language of their own that only those within the species can understand, this language being made up of a series of grunts. There are some trolls, however, that have been know to speak, and even understand, a few words in human languages. More intelligent members of the species can be trained as security personnel.

Magizoologist have classified three different varieties of trolls: mountain, forest, and river. Mountain trolls are the largest and most vicious of this species, and are bald with pale-grey skin. Forest trolls have pale-green skin, and some members of the species have hair, usually green or brown, as well as thin and straggly. River trolls have short horns and are sometimes hairy. This species has purplish skin, and, as portrayed in some Muggle fairytales, live under bridges.

The trolls’ diet consists mainly of raw flesh, but it is hardly a picky eater. It will eat most anything that breathes, animal or human.



Thunderbird
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Thunderbird is an immensely large bird named for the loud noise its wings create as it flies. This is a creature that has been known to the Native American populations for hundreds of years and is a frequent feature in art and legends. The force of its wings are so strong, it is said to have the ability to pull clouds along with it in flight, and it has also been known to create small wind storms.

The feathers of the Thunderbird are also used in the cores of wands, and its powered talons serve as potent potion ingredients.



Unicorn
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Unicorns are lovely, horse-like creatures found in northern European forests. The foals are born with gold fur that turns white gradually as it grows older, becoming pure white-silver at adulthood. The blood, horns, and hair of the unicorn all have great magical properties. This is a creature that usually avoids human contact, though it is more likely to allow a witch to approach it than a wizard. They are highly agile creatures and quite difficult to capture.



Vampire
D.O.M. Classification: Being

Vampirism (the disease which turns humans into vampires) originated in Romania, with the first reported case in Transylvania. Once infected, the human-turned-vampire takes on a gaunt appearance, and their eyes are said to become much more striking than they were before. The first cases in the New World were reported in Louisiana, believe to have been brought over by French vampires.

Once infected, the vampire is no longer able to survive on human food, and instead feeds on blood. Vampires are nocturnal creatures, but it is untrue that they will burst into flame if they come into contact with sunlight. They can survive for short periods in daylight, but too much exposure will eventually kill them. A stake through the heart will kill a vampire, as well as more obvious methods (like being set on fire or hacked into pieces). Garlic is said to smell as horrid to a vampire as rotting flesh is to humans, and holy water has a burning sensation when it comes in contract with their skin.

Although manufacturers have been able to replicate sweets with the taste of blood, there is no potion or substance capable of sustaining the being, save for blood. Though Ministries of Magic have few options for vampires, communities of these Beings have found ways of obtaining blood without needing to hunt, such as obtaining blood from Muggle blood banks.



Veela
D.O.M. Classification: Being

The Veela is a siren-type creature native to Eastern Europe, particularly Bulgaria. They have the physical description of lovely, graceful women with silvery-blond hair. When angry, however, their faces take on the form a fierce bird and they release a horrible screeching sound.

Veelas are one of few creatures capable of crossbreeding with humans, although it has been observed that Veela traits will pass only to female children.



Wallybobs
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Wallybobs are amphibious creatures native to the southernmost states of the Southeastern region of the United States, from Louisiana to Florida; although they are capable of surviving in northern states if transported. The creature is essentially a very large bullfrog, roughly the same size of a rabbit, and the slime from their skin is known to have powerful medical properties in potions. But that is not what makes the creature most distinctive in people’s minds.

Although the Wallybob is not capable of truly understand human speech, they can be trained to sing in human languages. This odd talent was first discovered by Cajuns who, while singing their own music, began to here harmonies coming from the bayou. The Wallybobs had been listening to their songs and had begun to imitate them with perfect pitch. Today, many witches and wizard keep them as pets in ponds because their singing is so pleasant, often teaching them to sing the owner’s favorite songs. Some musicians even use the creatures as low-budget backup singers.



Werewolf (also called Skinwalkers)
D.O.M. Classification: Being

Werewolves are found all over the world, although being a werewolf is considered more of a human condition than a nonhuman magical creature. The condition itself, however, is believed to have its origins in northern Europe. A human contacts the werewolf disease known as lycanthropy once it is bitten. There is no known cure for werewolves, though the Wolfsbane Potion can keep werewolves from becoming violent during their transformations.

It is once a month, on the full moon, that witches and wizards have the disease overcome them and turn into the ferocious beast that is so dangerous to humans, as they seem to be among this creatures favorite prey.



Winged Horse
D.O.M. Classification: XX-XXXX

Winged horses are found all over the world, with several different species. Just like Hippogriff owners, owners of this creature are required to perform Disillusionment Charms on a regular basis to keep the true nature of this creature out of Muggle awareness.

Winged horse shows and races are popular sporting evens. The Salem Witches Institute is well known for its programs with winged horses.


Abraxan
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX
The Abraxan is an extremely large, very powerful, palomino variety of the winged horse with bright red eyes. They are an ancient species, so the origin of the breed is not entirely known. The Beauxbatons Academy of Magic in the south of France keeps their own stable of winged horse in their own private stables.


Aethonan
D.O.M. Classification: XXX
The Aethonan is a chestnut-colored winged horse that is an especially popular in Britain and Ireland. These are also the favorite species in winged horse shows, and is an excellent horse for the beginning rider.


Granian
D.O.M. Classification: XXX
Granians are grey varieties of winged horses known for their vast speed, first bred by Arabian wizards. It is mostly this breed that makes up most of the racing circuit.


Muran
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

A species native to North America, the Muran are believed to have originated when escaped Winged Horses crossbred with wild mustangs, both brought to the Americas by the Spanish. Like mustangs, they run wild in herds and can be found in a variety of colors. They are generally of wild temperament and most cannot be good riding horses unless they are at least the third generation bred in captivity.


Thestral
D.O.M. Classification: XX

The Thestral is a very odd variety of the winged horse species, indeed. For one thing, it can only be seen by those who have witnessed death with their own eyes. To all others, the creature remains invisible. Many wizards consider this creature to be unlucky, but of course, this is not true.



Yeti (also called Sasquatch, Bigfoot, and the Abominable Snowman)
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The yeti itself is native to Tibet, though there is a brown-haired variety found in North America. This creature is believed to have some type of species relation to trolls, though because of the distance between the species and their dangerous natures, no studies have ever been done to confirm this. The yeti can grow to be up to fifteen feet tall, and is completely covered in pure white hair (brown in the North American variety). Yetis will eat just about anything that crosses their path. Though dangerous, it is quite simple for most wizards to repel, as the creature is deathly afraid of fire.