Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Beasts, Beings, and Everything in Between by OliveOil_Med

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Creatures A-D





Acromantula
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

The Acromantula is an eight-eyed spider of horrific proportion capable of learning human speech. Native to the jungles of Borneo it prefers large prey, such as orangutans, cattle, the occasional native inhabitant or visiting tourist, and most anything else unfortunate enough to stumble into its dome-shaped webs.

As with most species, the female Acromantula is larger than the male. Little is known about their mating habits (most likely due to a desire not to know), but their nests are truly a sight to see. The females are capable of laying up to a hundred eggs at a time, very soft and roughly the size of beach balls, and the young usually hatch six to eight weeks after being laid. Acromantula eggs are a Class A Non-Tradeable Good as defined by the Office of Regulation and Control of Magical Beasts, with possession of such goods punishable by extremely heavy fines and possible jail time and forfeiture of ones wand.

But there is good reason behind such penalties. Although originally bred by wizards to act as guards, as with most experiments, it turned on its creators. The Acromantula is extremely fast, given its body mass, and possesses great strength, capable of crushing metal. Despite being intelligent enough to learn human speech, the creature is untamable and highly dangerous. In fact, the creature’s ability to talk may only add to the threat it poses to humans. And despite being native to the tropics, recent studies have proven that the Acromantula is more than capable of thriving in colder climates, making monitoring of this species and exportation of its eggs all the more strictly regulated.

The Acromantula can be identified by the thick black hair that covers its entire body, as well as its prominent eight eyes. It’s legs can reach up to fifteen feet in length. The pincers on its mouth produce a highly definable clicking sound when angry or excited, as well as secreting highly poisonous foam.



Agrapeltor
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The bane of loggers for centuries, the Agrapeltor has more than earned its unusually high D.O.M. Classification for a creature of its size. The Agrapeltor never grows t be much taller than four feet tall, but as an amazing strong form. It makes it’s home in dead, hollow trees, and was normally not a threat to humans until commercial logging became an industry in the northern United States, where it makes its home. Lumberjacks would chop down their homes, antagonizing the Agrapeltors, who would then tear stumps out of the ground and hurl them at anyone carrying an axe. Many people died until the Department of Magic was brought in to regulate the species.

It has a chimp-like appearance with course, shaggy dark hair along most of its body. It has amazing upper body strength, nearly five times that of a human, which is what allows it to be able to rip tree stumps out of the ground with their bare hands. It has opposable thumbs, but is incapable of human speech. It has been debated that its intelligence may be high enough to learn sign language, the way come apes can. So far, however, no Magiczoologist has attempted to teach an Agrapeltor such a skill.



Ashwinder
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Ashwinders, despite being dangerous when left unattended, are in indispensable when it comes to the art of Potion making, as well as wandmaking.

Born when a magical fire (fires in a which a magical substance has been placed, such as Floo Powder) is allowed to burn for too long, Ashwinders slither up out of the burning embers and then slink off to shadowed, secluded places within the dwelling that they were born. An Ashwinder will live for only one hour, allowing it just enough to lay its eggs in a dark, secluded place. This creates problems for wizards, as the eggs burn at a very intense heat and are more than capable of burning down the house in which they reside.

Ashwinders leave a trail of ash wherever they go, making them somewhat easy to track, and their eggs burn a bright red. Once found, a freezing charm must be put in place to prevent any further damage. And once frozen, Ashwinder eggs prove to be valuable ingredients in love potions, the most well know being Amortia. And the ash that an Ashwinder leaves behind makes an excellent core for wands.

Ashwinders are found anywhere a fire can be built.



Banshee
D.O.M. Classification: Being

The banshee is a being that is humanoid in appearance, a skeletal-looking woman with green skin and floor length, black hair. Native to Ireland and Scotland, the scream of the Banshee is believed to foretell the death of anyone who hears it. While the banshee’s scream is one that is feared, its singing voice is quite lovely and enjoyed by all that hear it. Many bands even use banshees as backup singers.

A banshee is one example of a being capable of crossbreeding with humans. However, as with veelas, the traits only pass to female children.



Basilisk (also known as the King of Serpents)
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

This abominable creature was created by the Dark Greek wizard, Herpo the Foul. A Parselmouth, he spent much of his life experimenting in order to breed many different snake creatures. Finally, he discovered that by hatching a chicken egg beneath a toad, a gigantic snake creature would emerge forth with abilities that few wizards have encountered and lived to tell the tale.

Although very few have survived their encounters with the Basilisk, we do have a basic idea of what it looks like. The scales are a brilliant green, the male having a scarlet plume atop its head. This creature is also capable of reaching more than fifty feet in length. The Basilisk had several variations of killing its prey, between its highly venomous fangs and the gaze of its great yellow eyes, causing instant death to anyone who meets them. Being able to survive off most kinds of large play, this creature is capable of living for hundreds of years.

The breeding of Basilisks has been illegal for hundreds of years. However, because attempts to breed are so easily hidden (simply removing the egg from beneath the toad when visitors come knocking), most efforts prove futile. Of course, common sense seems to do more to control this species than any government regulation could. Because a Basilisk can only be controlled by a Parselmouth, it can just as easily turn on its creator as anyone else.

Spiders flee from wherever a Basilisk can be found, as this creature is their natural enemy, so this should be the first sign that the creature is nearby. The crowing of a rooster is fatal to it, so appropriate action of acquiring as many of the birds as possible should be immediately taken if it is suspected that there is one within the vicinity.



Billywig
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Billywigs are flying insects native to Australia. Its wings rest at the top of its head, flying in a circular spiral much like the propeller of the Muggle helicopter. Despite its bright sapphire-blue coloring, its small size (only a half inch long) and extreme speed makes it very rarely noticed by both Muggles and wizards alike. That is, at least until they have been stung.

For many years, young Australian witches and wizards have captured Billywigs in the attempt to make them sting them. The supposedly twisted reasoning behind this is that the sting of this creature causes feelings of giddiness and general well-being, soon followed by levitation. Abuse of the Billywig can have its side effects though, such as floating for days on end and an allergic reaction in which levitation becomes a permanent condition.

The dried stingers of Billywigs are used in several potion recipes, as well as the wizarding sweets, Fizzing Whizbees.



Bundimun
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Bundimuns are found worldwide, often making their home in the houses of Muggles and wizards alike. Household pests, they are highly skilled at creeping under floorboards and skirting boards. They secrete a foul smelling ooze that rots away at the foundation of wherever they infest. They feed on dirt, so keeping a clean house does wonders for keeping these pests away.

If you do find your home infested, a simple Scouring charm will usually drive them away. Keep in mind, though, this only will only work if done in the early stages of an infestation. If an infestation progresses to very advanced stages, the Office of Regulation and Control of Magical Beasts (Pests Sub-Division) will need to become involved.

When at rest, the appear a green fungus with eyes, causing a great deal of shock when they finally do move, skirting across the floor their many spindly legs.



Centaur
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX (1)

Centaurs prove to be an anomaly to the wizarding world indeed. Possessing the body of a horse and the legs as well, they have of a human, the intelligence of humans, as well as the ability to speak. They have even made great academic strides in the fields of astronomy and divination, as well as being highly skill archers. Despite all this, the neglect a being status which many agree that they have more than earned. Not because of the Ministries’ neglect of this species, but out of their own elected choice.

These forest-dwelling creatures originated in Greece, but now can be found throughout Europe. It has never been attempted to integrate this creature to the America. In each country where Centaurs can be found have areas set off for their habitation where they will not be bothered by Muggles. However, most Centaurs need little help in this area, as years of experience have made them quite adept at hiding.

For all the political propaganda to the contrary, Centaurs see little distinction between wizards in Muggles (they distrust them equally). They live in herds of between ten and fifty and they can be found in several different colors. By all accounts, they mate for life and females bear one live child, which there are highly devoted to. Indeed, there seem to be very few difference between Centaurs and humans.



Chimera
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

Dangerous and highly predatory, the Chimera is one the most blood-thirsty creatures in Greece. The Chimera is a highly distinctive creature with the head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the tail of a dragon. As ridiculous as this may sound on paper, the Chimera is nothing to laugh at. There is only one instance of a known slaying of this beast, and the poor, overtired sap soon after fell to his death from his Winged Horse. Chimera eggs are classified as Class A Non-Tradeable Goods.



Chizpurfle
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Chizpurfles, in the days of colonial America, would sneak over on ships. Being only a twentieth of an inch high, this was by no means a difficult task. Crablike in appearance, they have two large fangs which make for highly effective tools at collecting what it is they are parasites for: magic.

Chipurfles usually first invade a home by first infesting the feathers or fur of wizards’ pets, such as Fwoopers, Crups, Kneazles, and Flitterbicks. Oddly, they rarely attach themselves to ordinary pets like cats, dogs, or parrots. It would seem that despite their small brains, they are able to differentiate the pets of wizards from the pets of Muggles.

At any rate, what it is that a Chizpurfle feeds on is magic. They will typically go after spare bits of potions in cauldrons and sometimes even the cores of wands, making it a good idea, if they are spotted, to get rid of them sooner rather than later. As with most magical pests, there are a variety of potions they can be killed with. Severe infestations, though, must be dealt with by the Office of Regulation and Control of Magical Beasts (Pests Sub-Division), as a Chizpurfle that has been feeding on magic for an extended amount of time soon becomes swelled and are extremely difficult to fight.

In the absence of any magical substances (in the rare instances when they do invade Muggle homes), they will instead feed electricity. This can often explain why many Muggles complain of buying a new electronic device only to find it refusing to work, only being one of the examples how creatures of the wizarding world have effected the Muggle way of life.



Chupacabra
D.O.M. Classification XXX

The Chupacabra is an amphibious Latin Amercan creature, with heavier populations in Mexico and Puerto Rico, that tends to live in close proximity with humans, particularly near farming communities.

Chupacabra are small, usually growing no higher than four feet tall. They are a greenish-gray to blend in with their surroundings and leathery-skinned with sharp claws on their hands and feet, as well as sharp spikes going from the top of its head all the way down its back. They have large eyes that cover most of their face and small sharp teeth. It is carnivorous in nature with a particular taste for goats, but more or less, pose no danger to humans; not even Muggles.

The Chupacabra feeds on blood more so than meat, so when one does find the remains of its prey, it is bled dry. For some time, it was believe that Latin America had a heavy population of vampires, which made little sense because of the climates harsh sun. However, until the Chupacabra’s species was discovered, the wizarding world had no other explanation for why large farm animals would often be found drained of their blood.

Other countries where the Chupacabra can be found are the Dominican Republic, Argentina, Boliva, Chile, Colombia, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Brazil, and the southern United States.



Clabbert
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Clabberts have long been seen as being as essential to the American wizarding home as the cauldron or the self-setting table.

The Clabbert is a tree-dwelling creature native to the southern United States. It can easily be recognized by its smooth, hairless skin, green to blend in with the scenery. Its webbed hands and feet, as well as its long and supple arms and legs allow it great agility when moving through the trees. Its skill at maneuvering through the trees as even been compared to many of the great apes of the world.

What makes this creature so useful to the wizards that domesticate it is the large pustule located in the middle of its forehead. When it senses danger or invaders, it begins flashing bright scarlet. For many years, American wizards, and eventually wizards all over the word, once the species was exported, used them as house guards to warm them when Muggles were approaching. They seemed to be perfect for the job: they required no permit because they were harmless to humans, did not need to live indoors, and, because they lived of insects and small bird, which can easily be devoured by their razor-sharp teeth, they did not even need to be fed.

The International Confederation of Wizards, in past, has attempted to control of keeping of these creatures, as they usually end up drawing Muggle attention, leading them to believe that they are flashing Christmas lights. Laws are in place to control possession of these creature, but it is so easy to claim that Clabberts are living wild in the trees surrounding a home, that they rarely work.

But something else ended up doing so much more for controlling the species. In recent years, elite wizarding families in the northern United States began to decide (and take the liberty of telling wizarding style magazines) that the use of these creatures is tacky, which is actually doing much more to stop the public display of these creatures. Wizarding establishments can still obtain special licenses to keep several of these creatures at a time as a security measure.



Cockatrice
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Cockatrice is quite a spectacle, resembling a rooster with a large lizard tail. The species was creating in the twelfth century through experimental cross-breeding, but died out in the seventeenth century. Besides being sterile, the creature was quite slow and clumsy in its movements, making it easy prey for just about anything. Charles Darwin, a Muggle scientist, once said the species that is fittest for survival will survive. The Cockatrice was not one of these species.



Cressie
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

When settlers first arrived in Newfoundland one especially bitter winter, they believed they had found their own little piece of paradise at the edge of a great forest on the shores of a frozen, yet pristine lake. All they needed to do was survive the cold until spring, and they would have surely found their new home. With in month, the entire party was dead; the cold or starvation not being to blame, but one especially ferocious ice-dwelling creature we now know as the Cressie.

Eel-like in appearance, it makes its home in Crescent Lake in modern-day Newfoundland. No Kelpies make their habitat in Crescent Lakes because the Cressie’s aggressive behavior and highly carnivorous diet made it impossible for the implant creature to settle, despite the fact it thrive in many other North American environments.

The Cressie is usually between ten to thirty feet long and “as thick as a man’s thigh”. It has a circular jaw with dozens of sharp teeth. This creature can be extremely dangerous to humans and should only be approached by witches and wizards trained to handle the creature.



Crup
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Crup was originally bred in southeast England, but has since spread throughout the wizarding world. A wizard-created breed, easily recognized by its fork-shaped tail, it is a popular wizarding pet, though many regulations set forth by wizarding governments sometimes make the acquiring of one more trouble than they are worth.

Crups are loyal to their wizard owners, but are known to be extremely fierce towards Muggles. A scavenger, it can eat anything from gnomes to tires to old cans. Some families even use them as a type of garbage disposal. If a wizarding family desires a Crup for a pet, a test must be taken, provided by the Office of Regulation and Control of Magical Beasts to prove that a family is capable of handling the creature in Muggle inhabited areas. These measure are in place because there have been many past reported incidents of families who could not control their pet Crup and vicious attacks on Muggles ensued. Large fines were charge and, sadly, the Crups in question were destroyed.

Once its tail is removed, it can resemble an ordinary, albeit ferocious Jack Russell Terrier.



Deer Woman
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX (For male wizards: XXXXX)

The Deer Woman, originally only found only in the state of Oklahoma on to the Pacific Northwest, is now found in all wooded areas in the United States.

Deer Women are masters of disguise, manipulation, and deception. From the waist up, they appear to be beautiful Native American woman, more lovely than any other woman most men have ever seen in their lives. However, from the waist down, they have the legs of a deer. They may have been classified as a type of centaur, except Deer Women only have two legs instead of four.

There are many signs to tell a Deer Woman, some obvious (such as two deer legs hidden under their skirts or leggings) and some that could applied to any number of women (great physical beauty and large brown eyes). The recognized signs for Deer Women as set forth by the Department of Magic include: a lovely aesthetic appearance, large brown (doe-like) eyes, a generally non-talkative attitude (not stemming from shyness, but from a poor grasp of human language) (2), sharp clicking sounds whenever they walk (from hooves) and two deer legs.

When a Deer Woman decides that they desire a kill, they will leave the protection of the forest areas they usually hide in and wander into the nearest human inhabited area. They will zero in on one man in particular, and then flirt with him (Deer Woman have been classified as a siren-type creature, making their charms irresistible to men). Once they have their prey in their clutches, they lure them away from all other humans and find a secluded area away from all other humans. The Deer Woman will then mate with them, and once they are done, they will trample their victim to death. Deer Women are incredibly strong and more than capable of crushing a human skull with their hooves.

But Deer Woman do not seek out human men simply because they enjoy killing. Anyone who studies the species will note that there are no Deer Men. The only way for them to reproduce and continue the species is to mate with human men. No one is certain why Deer Woman kill the men as soon as they mate with them, though it may have something to do with not wanting any two fawns to have the same father. Though the offspring of Deer Woman are genetically half human, Magiczoologists cannot be sure that fawns can be raised by humans and integrated into human life the way other halfbreeds can. This most likely stems from the fact that Deer Women are notoriously protective of their young, and there has never been an opportunity to try.



Dementor
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX (although many agree that even an infinite amount of X’s is not sufficient to describe these creatures)

Dementors are, without a doubt, the most vile, most dangerous, most abominable creatures know to the wizarding world; I doubt I will find an educated person anywhere who will disagree.

Dementors draped themselves in dark cloaks, making them appear like floating shadows. They keep their faces covered by hoods, and it is a lucky man who has never seen it. Dementors feed on happiness and joy, leaving it’s victims with only the most horrible memories they have. The British wizard prison, Azkaban, houses dozens of Dementors who torment the prisoners. Many wizarding human rights organizations have called for an end to what they call an ‘inhumane practice’. Possibly the worst power a Dementor possesses is the Dementor’s Kiss, where the Dementor sucks one’s very soul from their body.

In a way, Dementors are some of the most adaptable creatures on earth. It is capable of withstanding extreme heat and cold, needing only human emotion as nourishment. Survival of the fittest. And in many ways, Dementors are the fittest species for survival in the world.

In fact, many children fear that any miserable place will have Dementors hiding. Sadly, they would not be entirely wrong.



Demiguise
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

In the corners of the Far East lives a creature that the few who have seen it are considered among the luckiest spectators in the field of Magiczoology. The reason being this creature has the ability to make itself invisible, and ordinarily it is only seen by wizards skilled in its capture.

Apelike in appearance with innocent-looking eyes, the creature is extremely docile, living as an herbivore. Its face, though, is normally hidden by its long strands of silky hair. This same silky hair can be spun into Invisibility Cloaks. The rarity of this creature and the strict laws surrounding its capture are one the many reasons why Invisibility Cloaks are so rare and so prized, proving to put the Demiguise in even more danger.



Diricawl
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Diricawls, native to Mauritius, are well know to Muggles, although not in the same sense known to wizardkind. In Muggle academia, the Diricawl is known as the Dodo bird, and believed to have been hunted into extinction to due a combination of being friendly and tasting good. Nothing could be further from the truth, though. They are very much still a part of this world, but merely hold the ability to vanish in a puff of smoke. (Phoenix’s share this exact same ability).

The Diricawl, once know to Muggles as the dodo, has the ability to vanish at will, which is more than likely what lead to the Muggle belief of the creature becoming extinct. And because this mistaken belief lead to the Muggle ecological realization that one cannot merely kill as much of a creature as they want without serious repercussions, Ministries around the world have never seen reason to allow them to think otherwise.

Because of their magical properties, Diricawl feathers are often used as wand cores.



Doxy: (also known as the Biting Fairy)
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Doxies are often mistaken by American Muggles for being fairies (which have never been native to the Western hemisphere). It can be easy to see why Muggles could make this mistake. Like fairies; Doxies have humanoid appearances, as well as a set of insect-like wings, but their bodies are covered with black hair and they have an extra set of wings that appear hard and shiny, much like a beetle’s. But unlike fairies, Doxies tend to prefer colder climates, making them more a problem in the northern United States and Canada rather than anywhere else.

Doxies have several rows of venomous teeth, and if bitten, an antidote should be taken immediately. A special branch of the Office of Regulation and Control of Magical Beasts has recently been put in place to monitor all locations of Doxy habitats, so that any Muggles that are bitten can receive quick treatment. lay up to five hundred eggs at time, which usually hatch in about three weeks. These eggs are also venomous, and should not be eaten. Although, some wizarding students take them anyway as a means of getting out their classes.



Dragon
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

Dragons are known throughout the world, not only because of their large size, but also because they can be found in most areas of the world.

Females are often larger and more aggressive than the males, but all the same, both are extremely dangerous and should never be approached by any laywizard. A dragons heart, liver, blood, hide and horn all have highly magical properties, but their eggs are classified as Class A Non-Tradable Goods. The heartstrings of dragons are often used in wand cores.

There are ten purebred breeds of dragons, though, on rare occasions, they have been known to interbreed, making for fantastically rare hybrids. Here are the following purebreds known to wizardkind today.


Antipodean Opaleye
The Antipodean Opaleye is native to New Zealand, although it is also known to be found in Australian territories as well, especially when its food supply becomes scarce in its native land. This dragon seems to prefer to makes its home in valleys as opposed to mountains, rare behavior for a dragon, as it can be more easily seen such places with no large stones or caves to hide it. It is a medium-sized dragon, weighing in at roughly two to three tonnes. It is agreed by many to be the most beautiful of all dragons, possessing shining pearly scales and sparkling, multi-colored, pupil-less eyes, giving it its name. Its beauty can be a bit much to take in at first, but once one is used to it, the loveliness of the species can truly be appreciated. Even the dragon’s flame is beautiful, producing a vividly distinctive scarlet flame. In terms of dragon standards, it is not particularly aggressive. It rarely attacks, unless hungry, and its favorite food is sheep, as opposed to humans. But it will sometimes attack larger prey as noted in 1970 when record numbers of kangaroos began disappearing, later attributed to this very dragon species, a males dragon chased out of its home and away from its food supply by a female dragon, to be exact. Opaleye eggs are pale grey, and many a poor Muggle has mistaken them for fossils. The Ministries of Australia and New Zealand have very tight reins on the breeding of this species to ensure that these eggs landing in Muggle hands become a rare occurrence.

Chinese Fireball (also called the Liondragon)
The Chinese Fireball is the only species of Dragon native to the Orient. Its smooth, scarlet scales and gold spike ridges makes for a particularly striking appearance. It can also be recognized by its snub-nosed face and extremely protuberant eyes. The Fireball’s name comes from the distinct mushroom-shaped flame it emits from its nostrils when angered. Like most dragon species, the female is larger than the male, with most weighing between two and four tonnes. The eggs are bright red and speckled gold, their shells being highly prized in Chinese sorcery. Like all dragons, Fireballs are aggressive, but surprisingly tolerant of others of their species. Sometimes, researchers encounter habitats where up to two or three dragons share the same home. The pallet of the Fireball extends to most mammals, but its preferred food source consists of pigs and humans.

Common Welsh Green
The Common Welsh Green’s name well denotes its description. It lush green color makes it more than capable of blending in with the surroundings of its home in the mountains of Wales. Even the eggs are able to blend with their surroundings, an earthy brown with green specks. All the same, the Welsh Breen as a notorious history. This species of dragon is one of the least troublesome to wizards, who, like the Opaleye, prefers to feed on sheep and goes to great lengths to avoid human contact. This, of course, does not mean it will not attack if provoked, nor that it poses not threat to humans whatsoever. In 1932, the Welsh Green swooped down on a beach filled with Muggle bathers. Luckily, a family of vacationing wizards was able to vanquish it, earning its members the Order of Merlin, First Class. The Welsh Green can be recognized by its wonderfully melodious roar and the thin jets of flames it emits.

Hebridean Black
A second of Britain’s native dragons, it is much more aggressive than the Common Welsh Green, requiring territory of at least a hundred square miles per dragon, unless one wishes to face dire consequences. The Hebridean Black has rough scales and brilliant purple eyes, growing up to thirty feet in length. Also, a line of shallow, razor-sharp ridges traces along its back, along with an arrow-tipped tail and batlike wings. Its main prey consists of deer, along with large dogs and cattle. The MacFusty wizard clan of the Hebrides have long been considered the guardians of the breed and have been in charge of the management of the species for generations.

Hungarian Horntail
The Hungarian Horntail is said to be the most dangerous of all dragon breeds. It has black scales with yellow eyes and bronze horns, as well as colored spikes along its tail. It is highly aggressive, even within it’s own species, which may be one of the leading reasons why it is a thankfully rare variety; seeing as it feeds on humans in addition to goats and sheep. In addition to violent tendencies, it also is capable of breathing flame further than any other dragon breed. Its eggs are cement-colored, and the shell is quite dense; the babies clubs their way out with their horned tails, which are developed at birth.

Norwegian Ridgeback
Like the Horntail, the Norwegian Ridgeback has black scales, but instead of horns, the creatures tail has ridges going down it (hence the name). And like the Horntail, it is also extremely aggressive in its own breed. It’s diet consists of large mammals, and even some water-dwelling creatures (it has been claimed that whale calves make up a great deal of the Ridgeback’s prey). The eggs are black and at one to three months, the babies develop their fire breathing earlier than any other breed.

Peruvian Vipertooth
The only dragon species native to the Western Hemisphere, it is also the smallest and the swiftest. It had been wondered that because of the Vipertooth’s size, that there is something about the western hemisphere that is not conducive to being a suitable habitat for large species of dragons. Fifteen feet long, and the scales are smooth and copper-colored with black ridge markings, it has short horns and particularly venomous fangs. It feeds on goats and sheep, but also has a frightening taste for humans. It became such a problem that in the nineteenth century, the International Confederation of Wizards had to be called in to thin there numbers when the population exploded.

Romanian Longhorn
The Romanian Longhorn has dark green scales and long, glistening gold horns, which it uses to both gore and roast its prey. The powered horns make for highly valuable potion ingredients. The Longhorn has been at the center of an aggressive breeding program ever since their numbers began to drop because of this fact. Their horns are now classified Class B Tradable Material and now their numbers are well into a safe area. In fact, the native habitat of the Longhorn has now been converted into one of the largest dragon reserves in the world, where a variety of dragon species live and wizard from all over the world have the opportunity to study them.

Swedish Short-Snout
The Swedish Short-Snout is a beautiful silvery-blue dragon whose scales are highly sought after for gloves and shields, as well as many other fine products. Its flame, which it breaths through the nostrils, is bright blue and can reduce timber and bone to ash in a matter of seconds. This species has the fewest human killings to its name, but this stems from the fact that it prefers to live in the wilderness, far away from human settlement. It is no less dangerous than any other species, so don’t go thinking if you ever see one, it’s okay to pet it!

Ukrainian Ironbelly
At an average of six tonnes, the Ukrainian Ironbelly is the largest of all dragon breeds. It tends to be slower in flight with poorer mobility than other dragon breeds, but the Ironbelly is still extremely dangerous, capable of crushing entire villages with its body. Its scales are a metallic gray and it has deep red eyes, as well as a very long a vicious tail. The Ukrainian wizarding authorities keep a constant watch on this breed, knowing this breed to have no qualms about causing harm to humans. One incident reports of an entire ship being carried off by a dragon of this species in 1799.


Dugbog
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Dugbog is found in not only North and South America, but throughout Europe as well. It can often be mistaken for a piece of dead wood when not moving, but under close examination, one can see finned paws and extremely sharp teeth. It glides and slithers, much the way a snake does, and it feeds on small mammal, like a snake does. Also like a snake, it can do severe injury to the ankles of human walkers: snakes (and Dugbogs) never bite above the ankle!

Mandrake growers should beware, though, for these plants are its absolute favorite food. And an unhappy Mandrake isn’t good for anyone!




1. The Centaur possesses it's high rating, not because it is especially dangerous, but because it is a highly intelligent creature that most government recognize deserves to be treated with respect. You will find similar applications to merpeople, mothmen, and unicorns.

2. The Deer Woman provides an excellent example of the ability of speech in magical beasts. Just as with humans, these creature can only learn human language if someone is there to teach them. Jarveys seem to be a exemption to this rule, but then they are hardly capable of intelligent human speech.