Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Beasts, Beings, and Everything in Between by OliveOil_Med

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Creatures E-H





Erkling
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Erklings are creatures found only in the Black Forest of Germany and yet have become a figure in the nightmares of wizarding children all around the world. But this is by no means a baseless phobia, as a large part of the Erkling’s diet consists of human children. Although there have been no reported killings of children by Erklings since the attack on Bruno Schmidt, who was fortunately saved when his father smashed the creature over the head with a collapsible cauldron.

It is an elf-like creature, usually standing no more than three feet tall. Since the only true way to distinguish an Erkling from an ordinary house-elf is a slightly more angular appearance and the ability to resist commands, it can be easily understood how children can fall into becoming their prey. Its cackle is even one whose sound is able to draw children to them like moths to a burning torch. Luckily, thanks to the German Ministry and their tight controls on the Erkling’s population, incidents where small children even see the creature are rare.



Erumpent
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

A large, gray-skinned beast weighing more than a ton, it is easy to see how this creature could be mistaken for the Muggle rhinoceros, seeing as they share the same habitat. Upon closer examination, a Magiczoologist can note the thick hide that can repel most charms and spells, along with a long horn on its nose and a long, rope-like tail. Even Muggle animal researchers can see that while the two creatures, magical and mundane, appear alike, they are indeed two very different creatures.

An Erumpent will not attack unless provoked, much like its animal cousin, the rhino. But once the Erumpent does charge, anyone can see the difference between the two species. The Erumpent’s horn is capable of piercing anything from the human body to metal. Also, within the horn, there is a highly volatile substance which will cause whatever it comes into contact with to explode. There are not a great many male Erumpents, and the constant explosion sounds heard during mating season can lead anyone to figure out why.

Erumpent horns, tails, and the exploding fluid in their horns can all be used in potions and are all classified as Class B Tradable Materials (Dangerous and Subject to Strict Control).



Fairy
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Fairies are of the few magical creatures that Muggles seem to be quite aware of. However, as with many Muggle beliefs about magic, their storiesare quite false. Many Muggle storybooks and ‘fairytales’ depict these creatures as miniature little humans in garments of flowers, leading them more to resemble ballet dancers than anything even close to what the species truly is.

From a Magiczoological standpoint, fairies are small delicate creatures without any real intelligence. They are generally found in woodlands and glades, but often they are summoned by wand-wielders to serve as decorations for parties and other special occasions. The fairy is vain by nature, so it most certainly does not mind being made a spectacle. Despite their close appearance to humans, they cannot speak. Instead, they communicate within their own species through a series of buzzing noises.

They usually grow to be between one and five inches tall, and their insect-like wings and coloring can offer a Magiczoologist clues as to where the fairy might have come from. Their arms and legs are really quite well proportioned in comparison to humans. Fairies possess a weak form of magic that they use to fend themselves off from their predators: mainly Augurey and other mundane creatures. Fairies reproduce by laying up to fifty eggs at a time on the underside of leaves. The eggs hatch into brightly colored larvae, and after about six to ten days, they spin themselves into cocoons. One month later, they will emerge as fully-grown fairies.



Firecrab
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The name—Firecrab—can be somewhat deceiving. It is actually a large tortoise whose shell is heavily decorated with beautiful jewels. It makes its home on the island of Fiji, and a large strip of the coastline is marked as a habitat reserve for the species. The threat posed by Muggles doesn’t seem to worry the Fijian Ministry so much as all the problems that could be cause by wizards looking for material gain. Cauldrons made from Firecrabs make highly prized cauldrons, not only for their beauty, but also for their exceptional strength.

The Firecrab, however, is by no means defenseless. It has the unique ability to shoot flames out of its rear end. At this point in the book, the reader must now take a five minute break to laugh at this mental image before returning to reading.

Firecrabs are also exported as pets, but a special license is required in order to keep one. The Kailani Shamanic Institute in the Hawaiian Islands has several dozen of these creators roaming the shore, both for aesthetics and in an attempt to give the endangered creature another safe place to call home. Though not native to the Hawaiian climate, the creatures have seemed to thrive in it.



Flobberworm
D.O.M. Classification: X

Flobberworms are found in ditches in all countries damp enough to suit their likings. Thick, brown, and around ten inches in length, many Muggles mistake them for common earthworms. Most Ministries don’t even bother to conceal their presence. Flobberworms move so little, many untrained eyes can’t even tell whether one is dead or alive. Both ends of the Flobberworm, which look completely identical, secrete a mucus which is used as a thickening agent in potions. Flobberworms can survive on most types of vegetation and thrive on a solitary existence.



Flitterbick
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Flitterbicks appear to be nothing more than cute, squirrel-like creatures, gray with black facial markings, as well as long folds of skin between their limbs, which it uses to glide on the wind. Do not mistaken, however: the Flitterbick is in no way, shape, or form a harmless, cuddly creature. Its strong muscle density allows it to kick off from any surface and soar at great speeds, sometimes even too fast to be seen by the human eye.

There was once a time when it was believed that Flitterbicks would replace owls when it came to delivering mail. Some people, when in desperation for express mailing, do use them, but it is usually also met with great disaster, often involving a lot of breaking glass.

Flitterbicks can live in most wooded areas across the United States and Canada, and some have even taken to living in cities, though Offices for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures have been doing their best to keep these urban populations at a minimum. This can especially pose a problem as the more time Flitterbicks spend around humans, the more social they become, and they do not distinguish between wizard and Muggle.

They give birth to live young, usually in litters of three or four. Omnivores, they can survive on nearly anything edible, and sometimes inedible.



Fur-bearing Trout
D.O.M. Classification: XX

The Fur-bearing Trout is an odd creature, found only in the cold rivers of the western territories of the United States and Canada. It is not a great amount of fur it possesses, but it is fur that is finer than any found on any mundane creature. Luckily, it is also a creature that appears in no danger of its numbers becoming threatened, as it is one of the easiest creatures in the world to breed.

Robe-makers love using it in winter clothing, for it makes an excellent insulator, even in the coldest of climates. It has even been gaining popularity in other nations as a staple of any fine wardrobe. Their meat, however, is completely tasteless, without any flavor or nutritional value for any creature.

In the wild, Fur-bearing Trout feed on minnows and small water insects. They tend to be nesting creatures, content to live out their entire lives in the same waters they are born in. They thrive in murky waters, which also help to keep themselves hidden from Muggle eyes.



Fwooper
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Fwoopers are African birds of wondrously bright plumage. Some of the colors observed in this species include lime green, pink, orange, and yellow. These birds are also admired for their beautifully patterned eggs and the exceptional quills their feathers make.

The Fwooper has a song that reaches very odd sound levels. It is enjoyable at first, but eventually, it will drive any listener insane. Fwoopers are sold with Silencing Charms performed on them, but the charm needs to be refreshed at least once a month. As with most potentially dangerous creatures, a license is needed for anyone who wishes to keep a Fwooper.



Getoor
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Getoor is a reptilian creature with a humanoid appearance. It has long, gangly arms with sharp claws on its hands and feet, along with large, pupil-less eyes and rows of sharp, saw-like teeth. This creature is native to the Louisiana bayous, where it feeds on fish, low flying birds, and the occasional wandering child. Standing at least six feet tall, it makes a formidable opponent for even a skilled witch or wizard. Facing off against this creature is certainly no task for anyone with an incomplete education. On land, however, they appear quite clumsy and easily fled from. It does not always become a necessity for those who encounter a Getoor to fight.

Getoor scales have magical potency and are often used as cores in wandmaking. But aside from their great strength and speed underwater, they seem to have very little magic to them.

Rumor exists of a colony of Getoors living in the sewers below New York City, but so far, little evidence is there to prove they are in fact living outside of Louisiana.



Giant
D.O.M. Classification: Being

Despite their status as beings, giants can be just as savage as any other wild creature. They are capable of learning human languages, though there are very few documented cases of giants who have done so. As with many, giants are capable of cross-breeding with humans, but, as with learning language, there are few instances on record.

Giants are quite rare in the Western Hemisphere, having no way of arriving in the New World nations without the help of a wizard. One of the best documented cases of giants in North America is Paul Bunyan, the legendary lumberjack, though it cannot be certain if he ever truly existed, for the stories of his height remain quite inconsistent. In some stories, he is only ten or so feet tall, and in others, he is taller than a redwood.

Giants that Magiczooligists can actually prove exist can range in height from the shortest at eight feet to the tallest at thirty.



Ghoul
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Despite the horror stories revolved around ghouls, as well as their hideous appearance, they are relatively harmless. In appearance, it can be said as being quite similar to an ogre, with buckteeth and slimy skin. Most ghouls take up residence in the homes of wizards, in barns, cellars, and attics. If a Muggle makes their home in any place that inhabits a ghoul, the Office for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures must be called in to rid the property of the creature. But many witches and wizards who share their homes with ghouls often come to think of them as additional members of the family and become quite fond of them.



Gnome
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Muggles have their own ideas of what they believe gnomes are, and like many of their ideas, they are greatly mistaken in description. Not to cute little bearded men in Santa hats, most gnomes grow to be about a foot in height with hard, disproportionate heads, as well as boney digits and limbs.

Found in both North America and Europe, gnomes are common garden pests, burrowing holes and disturbing plant roots. Certain potions exist to repel gnomes, but the smell is often quite foul to humans as well. The most effective way to rid oneself of gnomes if the manual way: swinging them in circles to make them dizzy and then tossing them as far away from the garden as possible.

Gnomes are capable of living in most places, urban or rural, as long as their food supply is plentiful. However, they almost always prefer to live around humans whenever they find it possible.



Gorgon (Also refered to as Medusa)
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

The Gorgan is a horrible Greek monster that most wizards would consider themselves lucky to never see (especially since eye contact with the creature, much like the Basilisk, Petrifies).

The Gorgan has the appearence of an old woman with dozens of snakes growing from the top of her head. No one knows what the creatures eyes look like, as once awaken from being Petrified, the victim cannot remember what happened before looking into the creatures eyes. This monster has many paraelles between the Basilisk (although the reason why is unknown, as the Gorgan has a much longer history of existance than the Basilisk does).

Gorgan are capable of living for hundreds of years, and whether or not it is possible to breed them is unknown. The only real way of killing the creature is to remove it's head, as it is immune to most hexes.



Graphorn
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The mountainous regions of Europe are where the Graphorn calls home, though in North America, it is probably better known as the sports mascot for the Hardscrabble Creek School of Magical Arts. It is a large creature, purplish gray with a humped back and two very long, very sharp horns, that walks on four-thumbed feet. It has an extremely aggressive nature and is especially dangerous. Every now and then, trolls, most likely to imitate humans they have seen on horseback, have tried to ride Graphorns. This has only succeeded in proving the trolls’ general lack of intelligence, as the action usually ends with the rider being thrown violently from the Graphorn’s back. Most trolls observed in field studies have at least a few scars attributed to Graphorns.

The powdered horns from the Graphorn are used in potion making, but are often short in supply and very expensive due to the difficulty and danger in collecting the horns. But even more useful in some cases is the Graphorn’s hide, which is even tougher than dragon hide, able to withstand most charms and physical force. Graphorns are bred domestically in remote areas of the United States, where their hides are put to use making armor for Quodpot players.



Griffin
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Like many great creatures of the wizarding world, the griffin originated in Greece. It has the front legs and head of an eagle, and the body and hind legs of a lion. Because of the strength and fierce natures, griffins are often employed by wizards to guard treasure. Befriending a griffin is no easy task, only a few wizards in the history of the world have done so. And since griffins feed on raw meat (which most humans tend to be made of), a lot of people tend to be too afraid to even try.



Gumberoo
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Gumberoo is a bear-like creature native to the Pacific Northwest of the United States. Its rubbery hide is often used in the linings of cloaks, particularly in more rainy climates, such as its native habitat.

It is a sweet and gentle creature, oftentimes more curious of humans than it is afraid of them. This, however, can put the Gumberoo in grave danger from hunters and other captors. Some wizards even attempt to keep the creatures as pets, though the practice is quite illegal.

As of today, the Gumberoo is classified as ‘Highly Protected’ by the Office for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. Gumberoo-hunting in the wild is illegal, and the hides used in pelts come from domestically raised ones. Violating these laws carry heavy fines that could put most wizards into great debt.



Hag
D.O.M. Classification: Being

The hag, in many ways, proves how ignorant Muggles are about the truth of magic. Many Muggles believe hags and witches to be synonymous, automatically believing all witches to be green-skinned with large noses and hairy warts.

The fact is, although human-like in appearance, hags are not actually witches. They have a magic of their own, of course, but magic that is clearly not strong enough to disguise themselves from humans. They have been known, just like Erklings, to feed on children, wizard or Muggle. They will, however, settle for most types of meat, especially tongue and liver.



Harpy
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Like the banshee, the harpy is a creature that is associated with death. This, however, stems from their largely scavanger-style eating habits.

The creature has the head of a woman, but other wise is completely identical in body to that of an eagle (although a rather large one). It's claws are exceptionally sharp, capable of ripping through steal, and their vocal cords are sometimes used as the cores in wands. In Muggle mythology, the harpy's form is often confused with the Siren (actually a Greek variety of the Merpeople). It seems hard to understand, though, as the creature has, by no means, a pleasant sing voice.

Harpies make their habitates in mountainous or cliff areas in most parts of Europe, although small colonies are also found in the Andes Mountains of South America.



Hippocampus
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

From Greece, the hippocampus has the head and front legs of a horse and the rear end of a giant fish. It thrives in the waters of the Mediterranean, but has also been found as far north as the North Sea. When they were found around the waters of Scotland, wizards were finally able to domesticate them. The Hippocampus females lay transparent eggs and the Tadfoals can be seen growing inside.



Hippogriff
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Once only found in Europe, the Hippogriff is now bred all over the world. It has the head of a giant eagle and the body of a horse, making it well large enough for a human to ride. It is not a common practice, however, because the Hippogriff is a very proud creature by nature, and insulting one can mean one’s swift demise. If one does find themselves brave enough to attempt this, however, they must remember to keep eye contact with the creature at all times (for practical reasons as well as prideful ones), and bow respectfully to the creature so it may bow back, not rising until it does so.

Hippogriffs are carnivores that burrow in the dirt for insects, but will also eat birds and small mammals if it can catch them. Hippogriffs lay only one egg at a time, and the young hatch within twenty-four hours. A fledgling can fly when it is only a week old, but cannot maintain the strength of long flights with its mother for at least another month.



Hoop Snake
D.O.M. Classification: XX

The hoop snake is an odd creature. When motionless, it is almost impossible to distinguish from any mundane snake. When it does begin moving, however, it truly is a sight to see. Instead of slithering along the ground like any other snake, it bites the end of its tail so it forms a perfect circle, and rolls across the ground like a hoop. It is a common figure in Native American folklore, but most Muggles regard it as only a legend, even when it leaves its tracks plainly in the soil.

Extremely fast, the hoop snake can travel as fast as thirty miles per hour. It kills its prey—jackrabbits and other similar-sized mammals—by jumping over the animal’s head and snapping its neck with the velocity of its continued motion.

For habitats, hoop snakes tend to prefer dry, arid areas, especially the Southwest of the United States. Because they seem to enjoy the exact opposite of home than that of humans, Muggle sightings almost never happen



Horned Serpent
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Horned serpents inhabit the northern Appalachian Mountains as well as the Ohio River Valley. Many depictions of the creatures have been seen in Native American cave art. Most of the drawings show, like the hoop snake, what would seem to be just an ordinary snake, save for the fact that its head is topped with small antlers like that found on a deer. Actual sightings of this creature are rare, however, as they have the unique power to make themselves invisible. But as these creatures are so difficult to observe, little is known about their living habits or their diet.

Its existence, though, is well known by the fact that this creature sheds its quite visible antlers every spring. When Muggles happen upon these, however, they usually just mistake them for twigs. Slivers of this creature’s horns are highly prized as a key ingredient in many wand cores.