Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Beasts, Beings, and Everything in Between by OliveOil_Med

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Creatures I-M





Imp
D.O.M. Classification: XX

All members of the imp species seem to be concentrated solely in Britain and Ireland. It can be easy to confuse the creature with a pixie, for they are near the same size (six to eight inches), but an imp has no wings, no ability to fly, and it is found in dark, rather dull colors, as opposed to the bright, vivid colors that pixies have. Most imps are usually either black or dark brown, like the Doxy, making it easy for them to camouflage themselves. These two species can also be easily confused, as they have the same mischievous nature and same slap-stick sort of humor. It gets most of its entertainment tripping passers-by who don’t even see them.

As far as habitats go, imps tend to prefer damp locations such as marshes and riverbanks. Their feeding habits consist mainly of insects, although there are times when it will steal small bits of food from humans. Other distinctions from pixies include the fact that imps do not spin cocoons, as their young are born alive and fully formed.



Jackalope
D.O.M. Classification: XX

The jackalope is a desert-dwelling creature native to the southwestern United States. It resembles a large hare with the distinct physical feature of having deer antlers. It has excellent body strength and a great sense of balance, or else it would not be able to support the weight of its own head. Females have no antlers and are impossible to distinguish from ordinary hares. Like hares, it feeds mainly on the vegetation of arid landscapes, but their antlers make burrow life impossible. Females dig burrows to raise their young, but at any other time in their lives, they live out in the open, which is why they are so prominent in Muggle folklore.

The story of the creature’s discovery is actually quite humorous. A young boy named Michael Donnaly was making his way west with his family on a covered wagon. While stopping for the day, Michael stumbled upon a nest of baby rabbits. As he became to play with them, he noticed that some of the babies had stumps of boney material poking out of the top of their heads. He couldn’t figure out why until he was head-butted from behind by an aggressive jackalope buck. Michael was badly injured, but made it through the incident just fine, and his father, an amateur Magizoologist, spent the next few weeks observing and documenting the creature.

The tendons from the feet of a jackalope are highly prized as an ingredient in wand cores because they make for excellent Charm work wands, especially spells involving speed and luck.



Jarvey
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Jarveys can be found in North America, as well as Britain and Ireland. But because of poorly kept records on the species, it cannot be clear if Jarveys came over to America on British ships, or if they were already native to American soil when British settlers arrived.

If simply passing by, a person may mistake a Jarvey for a very large ferret, at least until they hear it talk. However, much like a parrot, it does not have the brain capacity to carry out an actual conversation. Instead, it can only spout a constant stream of what are often crude phrases. Its habitat consists of mainly rural areas where it preys on gnomes, but it can also survive on rats, voles, moles, mice, and other small rodents.

Some wizards used to keep Jarveys as pets in order to keep gnomes out of their gardens, but the practice has been more or less abandoned, as many in the wizarding community have come to see it as cruel.



Jersey Devil (also known as the Leads Devil)
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Jersey Devil is unique in the fact that it was discovered by Muggles before it was discovered by wizards. The woman credited with the creature’s discovery is know today only as Mother Leads. While giving birth to her thirteenth child, a young Jersey Devil climbed into the house through the chimney, and in her delirium, Mrs. Leads mistook the creature for her thirteenth child, which was stillborn and buried immediately after its birth. Once this story finally reached more civilized portions of the state, Muggles already could give more details of the creature than any Magizoologist could for a good hundred years.

Classification of the Jersey Devil continues to baffle Magizoologists all over the world. Although it possesses leathery wings, similar tail and feet structure to most species of dragons, it cannot be classified as such because the creature also possesses hair and is warm blooded. In 1817, Magiczoologists presented the theory that the Jersey Devil may be distantly related to the Thestral, a species of winged horse. In the end, however, the theory was disproved by the fact that as apposed to live birth, Jersey Devils lay eggs, almost always thirteen at a time.

Jersey Devils live in herds, but often wander off alone during the day, returning together to sleep at night. Omnivores, the will devoir anything conceivably edible, even human junk food (in fact, they appear to be quite found of sweets). As much as they seem to love the products of human life (eating scraps of their food, and often roosting in abandoned buildings), they are usually very afraid of humans. It is very rare for a human to stay in close proximity to a Jersey Devil before the creature sees them and gets spooked.



Jobberknoll
D.O.M. Classification: XX

The Jobberknoll is a small, blue speckled bird which feeds on insects. It mostly feeds on insects, though it can also be seen scattered among pigeons eating breadcrumbs in city parks. The bird stays completely silent until the moment before it dies, when it lets out an ear-piercing scream which can be heard by anyone within a fifteen mile radius. Their feathers are essential ingredients in Truth Serums and Memory Potions.



Kappa
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Kappa is a Japanese water demon, present in much Japanese folklore. It is, however, a very real creature, making its home in shallow ponds and other bodies of fresh water across the main island of Japan. It resembles a monkey with fish scales and a hollow in the top of its head, which holds water. Magizoologists believe it to be a cousin of the Clabbert, though it has yet to be explained how they ended up on opposite sides of the globe.

The only way to disable a Kappa is to trick it into making it bow to you. Once the Kappa bows, the water drips out of the hollow in its head and it becomes paralyzed, allowing you ample time to get away. The Kappa’s favorite source of food is human blood, so it is a very real danger to wizards. Extreme caution should be used when traveling anywhere that a Kappa may be making its home.



Kelpie
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

In the early days exploring the New World, many wandmakers settling in the United States and Canada, not willing to pay outrageous import fees for Kelpie hairs, worked to integrate the species into lakes near posts. They were successful, but did not take into account there was no Ministry in place at the time to insure that Disillusionment Charms were put in place to hide the rising populations of the creature. As a result, record numbers of Muggle sightings were reported until the British and French Ministries of Magic finally stepped in, sending several employees to reside in the New World solely to ensure these creatures remained out of sight.

Today, the lake-dwelling Kelpies of North America remain unbothered and quite content in the new homes, some of which proving to be quite thriving habitants of the Americas. Lake Erie in the United States and Lake Champlain in Quebec have long been know for producing record-sized variants of the species, also known for being quite friendly with the visiting tourists, giving the American and Canadian Departments of Magic no end of trouble.

But despite appearing sweet and graceful, Kelpies can be quite dangerous. Humans, mostly unintelligent one, tend to be a large part of its food source. A shapeshifting creature, it takes whatever form it believes will attract a human into approaching it. Once it has its prey within its grasp, it drags the human underwater and devours much of the human, leaving the entrails for the scavengers.



Knarl
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Knarls, found in both northern Europe and America, can often be mistaken for hedgehogs. But unlike several magical species, it holds no physical distinctions between the mundane creature sharing its face. There is only one way to tell the difference: if food is set out before a hedgehog, the animals will eat it, or, at the very least, sniff it. Knarls, however, are very paranoid creatures. If food is set before them, they will believe the bearer is attempting to lure them into a trap and rampage through the garden, destroying every plant and lawn ornament in range.

Too many children have been the victims of forced labor punishments for the sole sin of trying to share their lunch with what they believe to be a cute, little creature. I speak from personal experience when I say this.



Kneazle
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Kneazles, first bred in Britain, have become popular wizard pets all over the world. They are small, cat-like creatures with speckled, flecked, spotted, dotted, patterned, or otherwise decorated fur. They have very large ears in proportion to their size, and furry tails, similar to those found on a lion. Kneazles are intelligent and independent, much like ordinary housecats, though they tend to be much more aggressive. However, if a Kneazle takes a liking to a certain witch or wizard, they make excellent companions.

Even at the expense of severe scratch injuries, many witches and wizards try to befriend Kneazles, especially those with more paranoid personalities. Kneazles have an uncanny ability to be able to distinguish unsavory and untrustworthy characters, and make for great guard creatures. Many owners of the creatures swear by their abilities. But as with most creature with the ability to attract Muggle interest, all Kneazle owners must apply for a license in order to own one of the creatures.



Leprechaun (sometimes called a Clauicorn)
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

This Irish creature seems as celebrated in certain parts of the United States as in Ireland. From a Magizoological standpoint, they are related to fairies, imps, pixies, and Doxies. They have an uncanny amount of intelligence for a creature without Being status. Although these do not cause as much malicious trouble as other creatures within their family, they are, none the less, an annoyance to many humans, though there has been much less documented damage attributed to the species. Like fairies, they are popular in Muggle fairytales, but the stories paint a very false picture of the creature as happy little bearded men in green suits.

Leprechauns are green in color, usually growing to be about six inches tall. They wear crude clothing made from leaves, much like fairies do. Leprechauns can speak, and actually have the ability to carry on intelligent conversations, an unusual ability for a creature of non-Being status. However, they do not hold Being status simply because they themselves have never applied for the change in status.

Leprechauns bear live young and make their homes within the dense forests of inner Ireland. Despite their living in secluded habitats, they enjoy attracting Muggle attention, luring them with illusions of fake gold, which vanish as soon as they try to snatch it up. Likes imps and pixies, they bear live young. It is not fully know what they rely on for food.



Lethifold (also know as the Living Shroud)
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

The Lethifold is an extremely rare creature, and thankfully so.From accounts given by those lucky enough not to be devoured, it resembles a black cloak that is more or less an inch thick (though it is thicker just after eat has eaten), gliding along the ground. It may be a mistake to actually say ‘eaten’, as the creature does not ‘eat’ in the traditional sense. Instead, it covers its victim, smothers them, and then absorbs them.

It is capable of devouring many kinds of large prey, including humans, with very little way of stopping it. The one documented way of destroying the creature is through the use of the Patronus Charm. But as this spell is so difficult to cast, many who encounter the Lethifold have indeed met their fate.



Lobalug
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Lobalugs are creatures that are found only at the bottom of the sea. Ten inches long, they are quite simply creatures physically. Their main distinctive physical features are a rubbery spout and a venom sac. Merpeople have been know to use these creatures are weapons against intruders. The poison of the Lobalug is sometimes used in potions, though sale of the substance is strictly controlled.



Manticore
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

Manticores are extremely dangerous creatures native to Greece. They have the head of a man, the body of a lion, and the tail of a scorpion, along with all the physical attributes one would think would go along with such a combination. It is quite fast, and it’s body is very powerful. It has the ability to speak, and the string from its tail causes instant death. The very few who have seen this creature and live to tell the tale also report that it croons softly as it consumes its prey.



Menehune
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

A native Hawaiian creature from the same family as elves and leprechauns, the menehune have long been known to the people inhabiting the island, magical and Muggle alike. Wizards, where they live in large concentrations, though, have very little problems with menehune, as owls are their natural predators.

Menehune are capable of human speech, but most have never learned English, or any other modern language. Instead, most groups speak in a very old dialect of Hawaiian (the Honolulu branch office for the Department of Magic employs translators to help in relations with the creatures).

Menehune, however, also prove to be a great service to humans. If a shark swims too close to the shore, they will paddle out in their canoes, surround the animal, and beat it to death with their oars. It is unclear why they do this, as there are no documented instances of any Menehune ever falling victim to shark attacks.



Merpeople
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Merpeople are found throughout the world and come in many different varieties, just as humans do. Merpeople, their cultures, and their civilization is unknown to much of the wizarding world. A few wizards have succeeded in learning the Merpeople’s language, Mermish, and have gained a sort of repour with the creatures. This, however, is no easy task, and requires a vast amount of intelligence and hard work, as well as patience. If any of the above is lacking, it can be easily expect that one will never become fully fluent.

Like centaurs, Merpeople are capable of advanced language, their own academics, and forming their own societies. Although they are certainly capable of achieving Being status, like centaurs, they have actively resisted the notion of receiving Being status. There are several subspecies within Merpeople, each with their own cultures and behaviors, but they all share many commonalities as well, especially a love for music.


Merrows
Merrows are hardly what most Muggles would imagine when they think of mermaids. Native to Ireland, the freshwater-dwelling creature is primarily green and noted for being quite ugly. It is also notably the most aggressive sub-species among the Merpeople.


Selkies
Selkies are members of the Merpeople, but they have a very distinct difference from other members of the species. They have no scales and no tail of their own. And while Merrow reside in freshwater habitats, Selkies call the northern seas home, especially along the Scottish shoreline. Also, they do not have gills along with their lungs, they way other members of the species do. All Selkies, instead, possess their own pelt of seal fur which they can slip in and out of at will. While clothed in their pelts, they appear to be ordinary seals, impossible to distinguish from an ordinary species, but when it sheds its fur, it takes the appearance of a nude man or woman. In fact, there are many stories of men who steal pelts from the female Selkies, taking them as wives and holding them hostage for years. Without their pelts, Selkies cannot return to their seal form. Whether or not these stories have any truth to them, the Department for the Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures holds stiff penalties for any interference with the species while they take refuge on shore.

Sirens
Sirens are the Merpeople most Muggles depict in fairytales. They are beautiful and human-like, males and females both, with the traditional green-scale tales. They have fair skin and soft features, with green hair, a feature that shows how they can be related to other sub-species of the Merpeople.



Mooncalf
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Mooncalves, found in all corners of the globe, are so named because they only emerge at the full moon. Its body is covered with smooth gray fur, with large, bulging eyes on the top of its head. It has four long, spidery legs, as well as large feet.

When Mooncalves do emerge from their burrows, they perform beautiful intricate dances in fields, though no one is completely sure why (it may be a part of their mating process). But once they have completed dancing, strange patterns are left in the fields, leading Muggles to come to some very odd speculations, including creatures from outer space.

The dung of Mooncalves is extremely beneficial towards the field of Herbology, as whenever it is mixed with potting soil or spread over a garden, it causes the plant to grow incredibly fast. In fact, it is such a profitable product, some wizards raise herd of Mooncalves solely to sell their dung.



Mothman
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Mothman, in a sense, are much like the centaur. At near human intelligence and quite capable of learning human speech, they are more than capable of obtaining a ‘Being’ classification as opposed to ‘Beast’. But like the centaur, for many years now, representative from the Mothmen have declined such a change in their D.O.M. Classification.

The species has never been recorded living outside of West Virginia, so getting the creatures to live on reserves has posed quite a problem. There have been numerous Muggle-sightings of the creature, nearly on par with the Sasquatch and the Yeti. There is very little the Department of Magic can really do to redeem the problem, aside from making sure no clear photographs or other proof can get into Muggle hands and performing Memory Charms when necessary. However, the creatures seem especially drawn to human disasters, so this can sometimes become problematic.

Mothmen have a very humanoid appearance (aside from the large wings and being covered in hair), and often grow to be well over six feet tall. It has a rather flat head and no neck, giving the illusion of a creature with no head and large glowing eyes on its chest. But despite its somewhat intimidating appearance, Mothmen are herbivores and pose very little threat to humans.

And, in spite of a somewhat misleading name, the species does indeed have males and females, and they are capable of breeding through laying eggs.