Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Beasts, Beings, and Everything in Between by OliveOil_Med

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Creatures N-S




Nain Rouge
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Nain Rouge is a gnome native to Normandy, though through unknown means, the creature somehow came to inhabit the city of Detroit in the late seventeenth century. Citizens of the city, wizard and Muggle alike, have come to know it as ‘the harbinger of doom’.

The creature has the appearance of a small child wearing red and black boots, although it is not completely known where the creature gets these boots. It also has red eyes, as well as rotting teeth. Despite it small size, it is known for its tendencies to attack humans. Muggles are more likely to be its victims, as the creature has come to fear the Stunning Spell that most wizards can perform.



Nogtail
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Nogtails are pig-like demons that have long been the bane of farmers of Britain, Russia, and the United States, where the creature is primarily found. They resemble small piglets with long legs, thick tails, and narrow, black eyes. Because of their close resemblance to ordinary pigs, they sustain themselves by sneaking into the pens of sows and suckling along with the other piglets. The longer it remains unnoticed, the larger it will grow. Neglected farms seem to be the greatest victims of these creatures.

As they are very fast, Nogtails are surprisingly difficult to catch. However, the creatures can be chased from wherever they inhabit by pure white dogs. The Departments for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, Pest Sub-Divisions in affected countries keep albino bloodhounds to serve just this purpose.



Nundu
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

The Nundu is quite possibly the most dangerous creature in the world. It resides solely in East Africa, where it has been restricted into the most secluded areas that neither Muggle nor wizard call home. It has the appearance of a giant leopard, but is able to move with relatively little noise. Its breath is poisonous, causing disease in anything that breathes it, both plant and animal. There are historical records of this creature destroying whole villages. There is, however, no record of this creature ever being defeated by less than a hundred wizards working together.

In a way, this shows how this creature can be even more dangerous than dragons.



Occamy
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Occamy is a highly prized creature found in East Asia and India. Upon first glance, this creature may be mistaken for certain types of dinosaurs. It is a plumed creature with wings, two legs and a reptilian body, capable of growing up to fifteen feet tall. Its diet consists mainly of rats and birds, although it will also feed on the occasional monkey. The shells of the Occamy’s eggs are made of the purest silver imaginable, so it is quite simple to see how wizards can be easily attracted to the idea of stealing them. In turn, the Occamy is known for being particularly aggressive towards humans, especially when defending its nests.



Phoenix
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The phoenix is truly an extraordinary creature. It is a swan-sized bird with scarlet feather across its body, and gold tail feathers, as well as a golden beak and talons. It nests in the mountainous areas of Egypt, India, and China. The phoenix is capable of living for many years through the process of regeneration; once its body is old and worn, it bursts into flames and the phoenix is reborn from the ashes. It is a very gentle creature, as well as a strict herbivore. And just like the Diricawl, it has the ability to disappear and reappear at will. The phoenix possesses a magical song which is said to inspire courage in the pure of heart and fear into those with impure hearts. Their tears have potent healing properties and their tail feathers are often used in the cores of wands.



Pixie
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Pixies are another type of creature that Muggles often view as synonymous with fairies. This species, however, is easy for most wizards to spot because of their electric blue bodies. It grows to be roughly eight inches tall and is known for its mischievous nature. The creature’s favorite pastime appears to be playing practical jokes on anything that will sit still long enough. Pixies have no wings, yet they are still capable of flight. They have a surprising amount physical strength and they have been known to grab humans by the ears and hang them from the tops of trees. Their only form of communication is a high-pitched jabbering that can only be understood by other pixies. And unlike fairies, these creatures bear live young.



Plimpy
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Plimpies are round, mottled fish that can be distinguished by their two long legs and webbed feet. They are bottom-feeding creatures who live at the bottom of deep lakes, feeding mainly on snails. Although they have been known to nibble at the toes and clothing of swimmers, they are not especially dangerous to humans. In fact, their nibbling bites are not even painful.

Merpeople consider the creature a pest, and have invented an ingenious way of dealing with them by tying the creature’s legs into knots. Plimpies are incapable of movement without their legs, so they will then drift away without being able to steer themselves. It will not be able to return until it has untied itself, which can be quite difficult, as the creature has no other limbs to assist in this.

Wizards sometimes keep these creatures as pets in aquariums.



Puffskein
D.O.M. Classification: XX

The domesticated Puffskein can be found in all parts of the world, due to its popularity among wizarding children as pets. It is a sphere-shaped creature covered in custard-colored fur. It is a docile, easy-going creature that holds no objections against being cuddled or even tossed around the room. Much like a cat, it makes a low humming sound whenever it is content.

Puffskeins are scavengers and capable of surviving on most anything. They have very long, very narrow tongues, which they use to gather food. This tongue is especially useful in one of its favorite gathering methods: going up the noses of sleeping wizards and eating the contents inside.

It is all these reasons—its mildness, its hardiness, and its ability to feed itself easily—that have made this creature just a popular pet in past years.



Quintaped (also known as Hairy MacBoon)
D.O.M. Classification: XXXXX

Quintapeds are extremely dangerous creatures, highly carnivorous, with a particular taste for humans. It has a low-lying body, covered in reddish-brown hair, as well as five legs, each with a clubbed-foot on the end. Luckily, Quintapeds are found only on the Isle of Drear off northern Scotland. The island has been made Unplottable, and for good reason.

There is a legend as to how the Quintaped came to be. The Island of Drear was once inhabited by two wizarding families: the McCliverts and the MacBoons. A drunken duel between the two clan leaders, Dugald McClivet and Qunitius MacBoon, resulted in Dugald’s death. In retaliation, a gang of McCliverts surrounded the MacBoon family compound one night and Transfigured every member of the claninto the hideous creatures we know today as Quintapeds. It wasn’t until much later, however, that the McCliverts realized that the MacBoons were much more dangerous in their new forms, as the MacBoons were never known for their great talent in the field of magic. On top of it all, the MacBoons resisted every attempt to change them back into humans. It was not very long at all until every member of the McClivert clan was killed and no humans remained on the island. Of course, that also meant there was no one on the island who could wield a wand, so the MacBoons had no hope of ever being returned to their human form.

The validity of this legend has never been clearly proven true or false. Obviously, there are no surviving members of either clan to tell the tale. Quintapeds cannot talk and have resisted every attempt by the British Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creature to capture one of them for study. Most Magizoologists, in turn, are not foolish enough to go to the island and study the creatures’ behavior in their natural habitat. So it seems the MacBoons will remain Hairy MacBoons until the end of days.



Ramora
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Ramoras are silver fish that are found in the Indian Ocean. They have the ability to anchor ships and are known as guardians of seafarers. Ramoras are highly valued by the International Confederation of Wizards, and the organization has set many laws in place to protect the creature from wizarding poachers.



Red Cap
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Red Caps are dwarflike creatures who live on old battlegrounds or anywhere else that human blood has been spilled. However, they are easily repelled by various charms and hexes. These creatures are extremely dangerous to humans wandering alone, as the Red Caps will attempt to bludgeon the lone human to death in the dark. Red Caps are most commonly found in northern Europe, but they can still be found worldwide.



Re’em
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Re’ems are large, incredibly rare ox-like creatures native to the Americas. Possibly the most well-known member of the species is Babe, the companion of the giant, Paul Bunyan. In legend, the creature’s golden hide was charmed blue by a wizard friend so as to disguise her from other wizards who would do the giant’s companion harm.

The Re’em’s blood can be used to give the drinker immense strength. This ingredient, however, is highly rare, and the sale of the substance is even illegal in some states.



Runespoor
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Runespoor originated in the small African country of Burkina Faso. The creature is a three-headed serpent that usually grows to a length of about six or seven feet. It is bright orange with black stripes, in many ways resembling a coral snake. It is a creature that is very easy to spot from a distance, so the Ministry of Magic in Burkina Faso has set aside special land reserves strictly for the creature’s habitat.

The Runespoor is not a vicious creature, but it is a favorite pet among Dark wizards because its appearance is so striking and intimidating.

Parselmouths have spoken with the creature and their recordings prove further what a fascinating creature that the Runespoor is. Each of the creature’s three heads serves a different purpose. The left head (from the wizard’s point of view) is the planner, who decides where the creature goes and what it does. The middle head is the dreamer (there are times when the head may not move for days, lost in its own thoughts). The right head is the critic, and evaluates the actions of the other two heads through a series of sharp hisses. The fangs of the right head are highly venomous, so answering back to the critic head is very unwise. However, there tends to be a point in the Runespoor’s life where the heads all become annoyed with each other and begin attacking one another. It is actually quite common to see a Runespoor with its right head missing, when the other two heads worked together to destroy it.

The Runespoor lays eggs through its mouth, and it is the only magical creature that is able to do so. The Runespoor’s eggs are highly valuable for creating potions to promote mental agility. There is a black market for both Runespoor eggs and the serpents themselves.



Salamander
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Salamanders live their lives amid the embers of burning fires, needing only the flames for sustenance. A salamander is usually a brilliant white, but it can also appear blue or scarlet depending on the heat of the flame it is feeding on. However, salamanders can survive up to six hours outside of a fire if they are regularly fed pepper; although it can only survive for as long as the fire it springs from. The blood of salamanders has powerful curative and restorative properties.

The salamander is also the mascot of the Kailani Shamanic Institute.



Sea Serpent
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Sea Serpents make their homes throughout the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, as well as the Mediterranean Sea. Though it can have a quite frightening appearance, the sea serpent is not known to have ever killed a human, even though there have been many accounts of the creature made by terrified Muggle sailors. It is capable of growing to be more than a hundred feet long. The sea serpent has a horse-like head and a long, snakelike body, the humps of which rise out of the ocean as it moves.



Shrake
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Any fisherman who has ever sailed the Atlantic Ocean has surely, at one time or another, lost his day’s catch because of a Shrake. It is a fish that is nearly entirely covered with sharp spines. It is believed that the first strain of these creatures was created as a form of revenge against Muggle fishermen by an insulted team of sailing wizards. Today, any Muggle fisherman who cast their nets into infested seas will find their nets shredded to pieces.



Skunk Beetle
D.O.M. Classification: XX

Skunk Beetles are roughly the size of a house cat and are native to the Southeastern coast of the United States. Despite its name, however, the creature does not stink. Its name comes from the thick black and white fur over the top of its body. From underneath, it appears to be just a very large beetle. These creatures are quite docile, and even affectionate, so wizards who can get over the idea of having such a large insect in their home often keep it as a pet.

Skunk Beetles are able to survive on most vegetation, but also have no complaint about eating straight from the garbage.



Snidget
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The highly rare Golden Snidget is truly an amazing sight to see. The creature is perfectly spherical with a very long, thin beak, smooth golden feathers and glistening red eyes. The Golden Sniget is exceptionally fast with great maneuverability, due to its rotational joints in its wings.

The Snidget is among the rarest of all magical creatures. This is due to many factors. Its feathers and eyes are highly prized by wizards, to the point that the creature was nearly hunted to extinction. There was also a time when the creature was used as the Golden Snitch in the game of Quidditich; a practice that has since ended. Today, some of the most severe fines in the world come from disturbing the Golden Sniget or its habitat. Reserves for these creatures exist all over the world. The most notable Sniget reserve in North America is the Soleil des Plumes Reserve in Louisiana.



Sphinx
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

Hailing from Egypt, the Sphinx has the head of a human and the body of a lion. It has been used by witches and wizards to guard treasure and secret entrances for hundreds of years, and it is still used today. They are highly intelligent creatures who delight in riddles and puzzles of all kinds. They are powerful creatures, though usually only dangerous when the object they are guarding is threatened.



Splintercat
D.O.M. Classification: XXXX

The Splintercat is a ferocious feline creature of the Pacific Northwest, from the United States on up through Canada. The creature is roughly the size of a golden retriever and has very sharp claws along with immense physical strength. Using these attributes, these creatures jump from tree to tree, stripping it of its limbs. The most common way of tracking this creature is by following the trail of dead, withered trees (which most Muggles simply attribute to disease). It also uses its ability to split trees to go after its chief food source: honey.

These creatures are very fierce, and should never be approached by anyone other than a trained professional.



Squonk
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

Squonks are creatures native to the Hemlock forests of northern Pennsylvania. It is a creature with ill-fitting skin covered with blotches and warts. It is very shy, fearing most forms of human contact, and it has very watery eyes, the tears of which are a key ingredient in several types of Herbology serums. According to legend, though, the creature has these two attributes because it believed itself to be so ugly.



Streeler
D.O.M. Classification: XXX

The Streeler has the appearance of a giant snail that changes color by the hour. It leaves a trail of venomous slime that is capable of killing most types of vegetation. Steelers are native to Africa, but they are also successfully raised by wizards across Europe, Asia, and the Americas. Wizards who enjoy the changing colors of the creature often keep it as pet. The venom of this creature is one of the only things capable of killing Horklumps.