Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lions of Gryffindor by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The journey to Hogwarts is usually eventful. How can it not be with underage wizards and witches eager to try out their magic? But this year the problems are coming from the older students and as the feud between Gryffindor and Slytherin threatens to explode - someone gets caught in the crossfire.

Thank you, as ever, to Terri for beta'ing and discussing multiple plot holes.
“My first trip on the Hogwarts Express,” Remus said to Lily as they patrolled the corridors, “I remember being incredibly scared. I don’t think I spoke to anyone until the last hour.”

They stopped while Lily checked on the occupants of a carriage. It was full of rowdy third year boys who stopped when they saw her, but carried on laughing once she’d closed the door. “Who were you in a carriage with?” Lily asked.

“I can’t really remember. I think Phyllida was there and also some girls who were Sorted into Hufflepuff.”

“No boys, then?”

They stopped outside another carriage. Remus peered through the window and saw some girls giggling. One of them, a bold Ravenclaw, winked at him and then blew him a kiss. Lily smiled as Remus turned a very faint shade of pink.

“No, no boys in my carriage and the girls ignored me, so I slept most of the way. Then, about an hour from Hogwarts, another boy came in. He’d been in a carriage with some older boys, but they’d begun bullying him when he couldn’t tell them his blood status “ it was Peter,” Remus explained, sighing.

Lily nodded; she knew Peter’s history. His mum had been widowed when pregnant and so Peter knew next to nothing about his dad. They stopped by the lunch trolley and bought some food. Remus munched on a Cauldron Cake whilst listening to Lily explaining wizard money to a scared-looking Muggle-born. “You’ll love Hogwarts,” she said kindly. The young boy looked up at her, his eyes huge.

“What if they decide I’m no good? I didn’t know I was magic at all until I got a letter.”

Lily crouched down beside him. “I’m Muggle-born too and it doesn’t mean a thing. You can be just as good as any of those from wizarding families.”

“You should listen to her,” said a voice from behind them. James was standing with Remus, grinning. “She got some of the best exam results in our year, and that one,” he pointed to Remus, “did the best of all, whereas I, a pure-blood, did really badly.”

The boy looked up at them all and gulped nervously. Then his face lit up in excitement as he saw James’ badge. “I have read about Quidditch,” he said. “It sounds amazing.”

James laughed. “Reading’s nothing. Just wait till you get on your first broom.” He turned back to Remus and Lily, whilst the boy began to choose some sweets. “Lunch trolley was taking forever so I decided to come and find it. Also, Padfoot has run off to find Martha, and Sonia’s behaving oddly. Be honest, are my jokes funny?”

Remus shrugged. “Not particularly.”

“I thought not. So why does she keep cackling at them? I mean even Wormy told me to shut up,” James complained.

Lily smothered a laugh. “I think she has her eye on you, Potter. Julius found out about the trick her and Phyll played at the end of last year, and he broke up with her.” She paused. “You know, I still haven’t seen Phyll, have you?”

“Maybe she’s ill?” Remus suggested as he finished his cake and brushed the crumbs from his robes.

“Broken-hearted after Jacob dumped her, more like,” retorted James. “You know how she likes to make a drama out of anything.”

“Probably sobbing in an empty carriage somewhere,” agreed Remus. “She’ll emerge soon.”

Lily frowned, only half listening to their debate. “No, she’s still going out with Jacob. He didn’t mind at all, according to Sonia.”

James shrugged and turned back to the lunch trolley. The small boy had just paid and was carefully assessing his sweets. “You should eat that,” said James, pointing to the pumpkin pasty, “whilst it’s still warm. Don’t eat too much, though “ you don’t want to be ill before the feast.”

The boy nodded and scuttled back to his carriage and after buying himself a pasty, James began to walk up the corridor with Remus and Lily. “Must take care of the midgets,” James said, grinning after him. “You never know “ he might be a Gryffindor.”

“Well, the Mudblood won’t be in Slytherin. He’ll be with the other scum like Evans!” They turned to see the imposing figure of Lucan Mulciber, brandishing his wand.

Instantly, James had his wand out and fired a hex at him. Remus dodged a curse sent their way, but Lily, a fraction slower, was sent sprawling to the ground. She looked up to see Mulciber standing with Angus Avery and behind them “ she saw in horror “ were Sev and Regulus.

“Good one, Gus!” whooped Mulciber. “The Mudblood’s...” He didn’t finish his sentence as James let fly another hex, causing boils to erupt on his face. James knelt down to Lily.

“I’m okay,” she muttered, and shook off his hand.

“Stay down. We’ve got it covered,” he ordered her as Remus sent a well-aimed hex at Avery that sent him careering across the floor. “Nice one, Moony!”

But then Snape drew his wand. Lily saw his eyes glittering in his pallid face and knew he was about to strike. “Expelliarmus!” she shouted from the floor. Her aim was true; Snape’s wand flew out of his hand, skidded across the floor and into an open carriage. He turned and scrambled across the corridor to look for it. Students were peering out of their carriages now. Some were scared, others excited at the prospect of a brawl.

Regulus stared around him, at Mulciber clutching his face, Avery getting unsteadily to his feet, and Snape desperately trying to retrieve his wand.

“We’ve no fight with you, Reg,” James said softly. “Go back to your carriage and we will too.”

Regulus glared at him. “Blood traitor!” he whispered. “You have no proper pride.” His wand whipped through the air as he sent a jinx their way.

Caught by surprise, James dodged too late and the jinx caught his shoulder. Regulus turned to Remus, who was distracted by James’ yell, and fired off another spell.

“Protego!” shouted a voice.

Lily turned her head and saw Sirius pounding up the corridor. “Regulus, no!” The brothers faced each other and it was impossible not to spot the likenesses between them. Both tall, although Sirius was perhaps half a head taller, both with shoulder length black hair and both had stormy grey eyes, but Regulus seemed “ Lily wasn’t quite sure “ less open, less confident, less alive than Sirius.

“You would fight your own brother?” said Sirius in disbelief.

“I have no brother. Sirius Black no longer exists,” Regulus replied coldly.

Sirius looked into a stranger’s eyes and raised his wand, but Regulus turned his back on him and walked away.

“Well, well, well. What has been going on here?” declared Professor Slughorn as he appeared in front of them. “Duelling practice? Really, boys, you should wait until you’re in school at least. I hate deducting points this early on.” He glared at the six boys who had disturbed his journey. “And you, Lupin, a prefect as well. I expect better.”

“They attacked us for no reason!” moaned Mulciber as another boil burst on his face.

James and Remus were shaking with anger. Speaking at the same time, they shouted furiously at the Potions Master. “Silence!” he ordered. “It looks as if the Slytherin boys have suffered a surprise attack.” He glanced at the floor, appearing to notice Lily for the first time. “You three are relatively unscathed and Miss Evans seems to have been caught in the crossfire. What am I supposed to think?” He bent down and offered Lily his arm. As she stood up, she began to speak.

“Professor Slughorn, it wasn’t the way Mulciber said.”

Professor Slughorn listened carefully. By far his most favourite pupil, he trusted Lily’s version of events far more than Mulciber’s.

“Mulciber insulted me, so Jam...er... Potter came to my defence. Then he,” she said, pointing at Avery, “hexed me.” She pulled her robe down; they could all see the vicious red welt running across her shoulder.

“Why on earth would you attack Miss Evans?” Slughorn asked the Slytherin boy in horror. Avery licked some blood from his lips but did not reply.

“Because I’m a Muggle-born, sir. A Mudblood!” Lily said clearly.

Professor Slughorn winced. “Detention for you then, Angus. Report to me tomorrow. I will not tolerate this behaviour.” He looked coldly at the two remaining Slytherins. “Lucan, Severus, get back to your carriage. I do not want to hear that you’ve been involved in any more incidents for the rest of this journey.” He watched as the three Slytherin boys walked off. “Potter, Black, I think you should escort Miss Evans to a carriage where she can recover. Lupin, you need to go and inform the Head Boy and Girl that Miss Evans is incapacitated.” He turned abruptly on his heels and left them there.

“Phew, thanks, Padfoot,” whistled James. He was massaging his shoulder where Regulus’ hex had hit. “Nice to see the old shield charm’s still working.”

Sirius wasn’t listening but was looking into the distance. “I no longer exist,” he said thoughtfully. “That’s what Regulus said. They must have blasted me off the damn tapestry “ just like Andromeda.”

“Who’s Andromeda?” whispered Lily to Remus.

“His cousin,” Remus replied. “Do you remember Narcissa Black?” Lily nodded. “Well, Andromeda Black is her older sister. She married a Muggle-born and the family disowned her.”

Sirius looked thoughtful for a while, shook his head and then grinned. “I was on my way to kidnap Martha. Have you any idea where she is?”

James groaned. “I’ll leave you to it, Padfoot. Come on, Evans. I’ll walk back to the carriage with you.”

“I’m perfectly capable of walking,” Lily said as she shook his hand off her arm. The next moment she felt her legs buckle. She leant against the wall.

“No, you’re not!” James said grimly. “Stop being stubborn and just accept my help, will you?”

She glared at him; he laughed. “I don’t think there’s much wrong with you, is there? Oh, come on, Evans. I need someone to distract Sonia. Peter’s not helping at all; he’s too obsessed with that owl of yours, and Mary just keeps laughing.”

He held out his arm to her and she accepted it, only slightly grudgingly. Remus took her other arm and the three of them walked slowly down the corridor, leaving Sirius behind.

“What I don’t understand,” mused James, “is why Sluggy was on the train?”

“Same reason there were Aurors at King’s Cross, I expect,” replied Remus.

“You think so?” James stopped walking and looked back along the corridor. “I’d have thought he’d be more likely to join any Death Eater raid “ not protect us against them.”

Lily stiffened beside him and shook his arm off. “Professor Slughorn isn’t like that, Potter. Just because he’s a Slytherin that doesn’t make him a Death Eater.”

James raised his eyebrows but didn’t reply; they resumed their walk in silence.

After protesting mildly, Lily gave in to James and Peter’s suggestion that she lie down on three of the seats. Peter rolled up his robe for her head and suggested she sleep, but the pain in her shoulder was still niggling at her, and she doubted she’d get much rest. “You don’t have to stay,” she mumbled. “I’ll be fine. Mary and Sonia are here.”

She saw James shake his head at Peter, who nodded back. Merlin! Are they expecting more trouble? She closed her eyes and tried to doze but Sev’s face appeared before her. She had shed no more tears over their shattered friendship since that night he’d begged for forgiveness at school. She wondered now what would have happened if she had let him back in her life. Would he have joined the attack on the train? Probably not. Would he have stolen James’ broom? Yes. Could she have continued defending him if he’d been found out? Lily didn’t know.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, apart from Sirius bursting through the carriage doors with a giggling and faintly protesting Martha over his shoulder. Sonia rolled her eyes and turned her attention to James, who was engrossed in a Quidditch magazine. Every so often, he’d glance up from the page and look at Lily, or check the door as if he were expecting another attack. When Remus finished patrolling the corridors, he joined them and Mary moved into the seat next to him. They began talking to each other “ nonsense things that they didn’t realise the others could hear. Lily caught Peter’s eye and he grinned.

“Shall I let Snitch out, Lily?” he asked as he tried to cover up a snort of laughter. “He could fly round here for a bit.”

“Peter, don’t you dare,” ordered Sonia. “I know they’re useful, but I really can’t stand owls.”

James smiled wickedly and opened Snitch’s cage.

***


They arrived at the station just as it was getting dark. Hagrid stood on the platform rounding up the first years. James waved to him. The Marauders all held the Grounds Keeper in high regard since he turned a blind eye to their nocturnal wanderings in exchange for the odd Charms lesson. Expecting a grin and a wave back, James was surprised to see Hagrid looking grim.

“I’ve a message fer you three girls from Professor McGonagall,” Hagrid said looking directly at Lily, Mary and Sonia. “Yer to take the first carriage, straight away, and report ter her office.”

“Why?” Mary asked.

“Not fer me to say,” Hagrid replied gruffly. “But it’s important.”

Sonia went white. “It’s Phyllida, isn’t it? Sweet Merlin, Hagrid, please tell me she’s okay.”

Hagrid paused and they could see he was struggling with the need to reassure with the necessity to be discreet. “Miss Lacey is fine,” he said at last. “Professor McGonagall will explain everythin’ when yer get there.”

“I’ll come with you,” Remus said immediately as Mary clutched his hand. He turned back to his friends. “I’ll see you later, yes?”

Kicking himself for not thinking of it before, James nodded at Remus and watched as he and the three girls got into the first coach.

“Missed your chance, mate,” Sirius mocked. He had his arms around Martha and was nuzzling her neck. “Do you want to take Moony’s place? Become a temporary Marauder?”

Martha was watching her sister’s coach depart with a worried look on her face. She looked around at a group of girls from her dorm who were getting on another coach that was about to leave. They were smiling and waving at her. “Um, I’d rather go with my friends; then I can catch up with Mary.” She turned around and faced Sirius. “You don’t mind, do you?”

For a split second, Sirius looked affronted then he smiled lazily and ruffled her hair. “Course not, sweetheart. I’ll see you later, maybe.”

As Martha tripped off to join her friends, James started to laugh. “It’s tragic, isn’t it, Wormtail, to see the mighty Padfoot has lost his touch with the witches.”

Sirius glowered as Peter joined in the laughter.

***


In the first carriage, Remus sat next to Mary. Sonia, he thought, is being unnaturally quiet. Her initial panic had subsided and she was gazing ahead, dry eyed and silent. The trees along the path were blowing slightly in the late summer breeze and strange shadows seemed to flit across their faces.

“Hagrid wouldn’t lie, you know,” Remus murmured to them all. Lily nodded gratefully and Mary squeezed his hand tighter, but Sonia did not respond. Remus wondered whether she’d heard him at all.

“Is she okay?” he whispered to the other two.

Lily glanced across at Sonia, and a worried frown appeared on her face. “She’d had an argument with Phyll before they came back to school about Jacob Bennet. I don’t know what was said, but maybe she’s feeling guilty.”

Lily moved across the seat and put her arm around Sonia. “Remus is right, Sonia. Hagrid wouldn’t have lied.” Sonia smiled weakly but did not utter a sound.

As the coach drew up outside Hogwarts, Remus got out first and helped them down. They entered the school and made their way up the staircase. It was odd to be the first pupils there and it was eerily quiet. Mary held Remus’ hand as they weaved their way through the corridors until they came to Professor McGonagall’s office. The four of them stood outside, hesitantly, and then Lily knocked. Instead of barking out ‘Enter’ as she usually did, Professor McGonagall opened the door herself. She assessed them all, pausing as she looked at Remus.

“I only wanted to see the girls, Lupin, so if you’d be kind enough to wait outside.”

Mary started to utter a protest but Remus squeezed her hand. “Certainly, Professor,” he replied. “Lily, I’ll take Snitch to the Owlery if you want.”

Lily smiled slightly and handed the cage over. Snitch looked at her reproachfully. “I’ll be up to see you soon,” she whispered.

The three girls entered the office and sat on a green sofa that the Professor steered them towards. She conjured up some biscuits from the jar on her bookshelf and then placed four teacups and a large pot of tea in front of them. After she’d poured four cups and they’d thanked her dutifully, she began.

“I need to talk to you all about Phyllida.”

“Oh, Godric, no!” cried Sonia, speaking for the first time since she’d got into the carriage. “Hagrid lied to us, didn’t he? You swore he wouldn’t lie, Lily, but she’s hurt, or something, isn’t she?” Sonia stood up, her face awash with pain and her normally well-groomed hair dishevelled as she twisted strands of it again and again. “What’s happened?”

“Miss Slattery... Sonia,” soothed Professor McGonagall, “you need to listen to me. Now, sit down and I’ll explain.” She paused and waited for Sonia to resume her seat between Lily and Mary. They both reached out to hold one of her hands and then all three turned to look at their professor.

“On the way to King’s Cross,” continued Professor McGonagall, “Miss Lacey and her mother were involved in an incident. They were attacked outside their home. There is, I’m afraid, no easy way of saying this, but Phyllida’s mother was killed outright.”

Lily heard Mary’s gasp of shock a fraction before her own. Sonia was studying Professor McGonagall intently. “Where’s Phyllida?” she asked abruptly.

“She’s in St. Mungo’s,” replied the professor. “She’ll be there for a week or so. Then she’ll return to Hogwarts.”

“She’s coming back so soon?” said Mary in surprise.

“She’s only got her mum,” stated Sonia, bleakly, “or rather she only had her mum. Her dad buggered off years ago and she’s got no other family, you know that.”

“Precisely, Miss Slattery,” Professor McGonagall said succinctly. “Now, when Miss Lacey returns, she probably won’t be joining you in class at first. I don’t think I need to tell you to take care of her and, please, do not hesitate to come to me, at any time of day or night, if you feel she needs help.”

Lily, who’d so far been silent, found her tongue. “Who attacked them, Professor?”

Professor McGonagall looked at the three girls meditatively. “The Ministry believe it was a Death Eater attack. Gwendolyn Lacey worked as a Law Enforcer and her work was highly valuable. She’d been responsible for some of the most high profile incarcerations in recent times.”

“But they could have killed Phyll!” cried Mary. “She’s not a danger to them. Why attack her?”

“Miss Macdonald,” said Professor McGonagall slightly sternly. “Do you really think Death Eaters are bothered by such distinctions? They had orders to kill and a schoolgirl won’t get in the way of those plans.”

Chastened, Mary looked down at her wand and began twirling it nervously. “I’m sorry, I didn’t think... It just all seems so unreal... ” Her voice tailed off and she cast a desperate look at Lily.

“I don’t think we expected anything like this to happen to someone we knew,” finished Lily in a small voice.

Professor McGonagall removed her spectacles and rubbed at the bridge of her nose, as if she had a headache. “There is a war going on, Miss Evans, it may seem far away to you girls, enclaved as you are at school, but Gwendolin Lacey’s death and your friend’s near miss, should serve as a reminder to you.” She paused and perhaps she thought she’d gone too far because she smiled slightly. “Miss Macdonald and Miss Slattery, you may go now. I expect you’re eager to join the Feast. I need to have a word with Miss Evans.”

Mary shot Lily a puzzled look as she left the room. Lily could see Remus waiting outside for them and watched as Mary gave him a hug, then, as the door closed, she turned back to Professor McGonagall.

“I have been informed by Professor Slughorn that you were involved in an altercation on the train. Is that correct?” Lily nodded. “If you need to see Madam Pomfrey then please do so, but first I need to talk to you about James Potter’s broom.”

Lily sighed. Although she knew her Head of House would want to know how she had come into possession of the broom, she rather hoped the interrogation would wait at least until tomorrow.

“Professor McGonagall,” she began, “I cannot tell you anymore than I said in my letter. I would like the perpetrators to come forward and I really think that given time they will, so I do not wish to ... err ... inform on them.”

Professor McGonagall stared at her. She reached over to the teapot and poured herself another cup. She gestured to Lily, but she shook her head. “Miss Evans, you do not need to inform on anyone. I merely wished to tell you that Severus Snape wrote to me a few days after you did and confessed to his actions.”

“H-he did?” Lily stuttered in amazement. “Err, does James know?”

“I do not think it wise to tell Mr Potter, do you, Lily? The details of Severus Snape’s punishment are private, known only to a few. I think the bad blood between them all will only escalate if this leaks out, so I trust you will keep this news to yourself.”

Lily nodded. “Of course, Professor.”

Outside the office, Lily took a huge gulping breath of air.

“Lily?” She looked around and saw Sev standing stiffly next to the wall. “I-I did as you asked. I told Professor McGonagall what I’d done.”

She grimaced. Yesterday this would have been important but now, in the wake of Mrs Lacey’s death, she wondered why she’d been so keen that he do the right thing. “Good for you,” she muttered faintly and started to walk past him. Snape plucked at the sleeve of her robe and pulled her close.

“Does this make things okay between us?” he asked urgently.

Lily cast her eyes to the ceiling and laughed bitterly. “After you and your friends attacked us on the train, I don’t think so!” She tried to pull herself free but his hand clasped her arm.

“I didn’t attack you and the others will leave you alone ... if they know you’re with me... that you’re my friend, I mean.”

Lily stared at him. “I don’t want to be merely tolerated. I’m a witch and your equal, not scum as your friend called me.” She wrenched her arm away. “I told you last term that it was too late and I meant it, Sev. There’s no going back to the way things were.”

She began to walk away as she heard footsteps coming up the corridor.

“Evans, where have you been? We’ve been waiting for you in the common...” James stopped as he surveyed the scene. Snape’s expression switched from dismay to utter loathing as he looked at him. “Everything okay?” continued James. He felt for his wand that he’d stowed under his robe, his eyes never leaving Snape’s face.

“Everything’s fine,” Lily responded firmly. “Shouldn’t you be at the Feast?”

“Mmm,” James answered slowly, his eyes still fixed on his enemy. “We’re waiting for you.”

Lily walked purposefully towards James and tugged at his arm. “Come on, Potter,” she said, forcing a light note into her voice, “lead the way. I’m so hungry; I think I could even out-eat Sirius.”

James smirked slightly as he saw Snape’s eyes narrow at her light-hearted words. Taking advantage of her volte-face, he held out his arm. “I shall be delighted to escort you there myself, Miss Evans.”

Lily gazed into his smiling, open face and then glanced back at Sev. The contrast could not have been plainer. She closed her eyes and shook her head slightly. “I can make my own way there,” she muttered and walked away.

James looked Snape straight in the eye. “Girls, eh?” he said clearly and then followed her. He chuckled softly, just loud enough for the other boy to hear.

***


The seven Gryffindors arrived late for the Feast, and the Sorting had finished. Although there weren’t seven places near each other, the other students shuffled around a bit to enable the latecomers to sit down. To James’ delight, the boy they’d spoken to on the train, was now a Gryffindor.

“What’s your name then, Master Quidditch?” James asked from across the table.

“Rodney Clearwater,” he replied shyly. He was gazing around at the table in awe fascinated by the food that appeared in front of him.

“Rodney, here,” continued James, “is a Muggle-born and a huge fan of mine.”

“He said he was a Quidditch fan, Prongs,” Remus stated, “not a fan of you personally.”

Mary snorted and Lily smiled as James began to explain the intricacies of Quidditch with Rodney. He pointed to several of the Gryffindor team, pausing only when his finger pointed to Preston McLaggan. They stared at each other then James tipped his head to the older boy.

“I see trouble brewing there,” murmured Sirius to Sonia, who was staring at her plate of food.

“What?” she asked distractedly and then followed his gaze. “Oh, Preston, yes I suppose so.” She speared a piece of chicken with her fork and raised it to her mouth. Then she lowered it back to the plate with a clatter. “How can you do this?”

“Huh?” questioned Sirius, stuffing potatoes into his mouth.

“How can you sit there and pretend nothing’s happened when Phyll’s lying in St. Mungo’s,” Sonia replied, her voice rising. “James is wittering on about Quidditch, you’re eating your way through a mountain of food “ as usual, and Remus and Mary are too engrossed in each other to care that someone we know is hurt. Mrs Lacey’s dead and none of you seem to give a damn!”

There was a silence as the Ravenclaws on the table nearest them, turned round to look at Sonia. Lily leant across the table and took her friend’s shaking hand. “Sonia, I don’t think anyone’s forgotten. The boys are just trying to take our minds off everything.”

Sonia swallowed and went back to her plate of food. Half-heartedly she raised the fork to her mouth and this time began to eat.

“Nice one,” Peter whispered to Lily. He cleared his throat and glanced at the top table. “New Defence teacher, I see.”

All, except Sonia, turned their heads to scan the professors. One man, in his late twenties and with flame-red hair, stood out. He was looking their way, and smiling benevolently. He raised his glass to Sirius whose face broke into a grin and he began to laugh.

“What’s so funny, Padfoot?” James asked.

“Well, not only does he have red-hair, so I expect you’ll be chasing after him all year, Prongs,” he said as he smirked at James who kicked him under the table, “but that man is a cousin-by-marriage of mine named Fabian Prewett. I met him and his brother once about two years ago when they gate-crashed an important Black family party. It took the house-elves weeks to clear up the mess.”
Chapter Endnotes: Sorry to Catherine for the wait! Fabian Prewett, eh? Now, do you think he's like Percy or the twins? I love reviews - concrit or gushing praise - it's all good.