Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lions of Gryffindor by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you so much to Kara (Karaley Dargen) and Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter.

“I KNEW there was something suspicious about that prat!” James exclaimed. Sitting on the edge of his bed, he fingered his wand, a light in his eyes. “So bloody smarmy. Too good to be true.”

“Are you absolutely sure?” Remus asked from his bed. He was lying down, unwilling to move and jar his body now that Mrs Potter’s Pepper-Up Potion had worn off.

Sirius stood by the window. He closed his eyes, trying to picture the scene in the Forbidden Forest. He had been so close to the man, imploring him not to hurt his friends. “It was him,” he said at last. “I think Peter might have recognised him, too.” He looked out of the window. “I’m surprised he’s not back yet. He left before Martha and me.”

“He’ll be back when he’s hungry,” muttered James, and then grinned as he recognised his mum’s words coming out of his own mouth. “Was he still pining after Sonia? All lovesick. ”

“Pot calling the kettle black, Prongs,” murmured Remus. He caught Sirius’ eye, and both started grinning. “Padfoot told me you stormed out of the pub because Lily spent all her time gushing over the barman.”

James scowled. “Stop laughing, you two. This is serious. That flash git is bad news and you know it.”

Remus sat up slowly, trying not to wince. “He was in the forest, Prongs. That doesn’t automatically make him a Dark Wizard. We were there, weren’t we?” he muttered.

“Oh, and what possible reason could he have for wandering around at night in a forest full of dangerous creatures?” James objected.

“He might not have known,” Remus suggested calmly. “Look, he’s not from round here, is he?”

“You’re defending him!” James exclaimed. “He could have killed us!”

“He saw a werewolf,” Remus argued. “He was terrified.”

In exasperation, James stood up and approached Sirius. “What do you think?”

With a quick glance at Remus, Sirius turned to James. “I think Moony’s right,” he said softly. “Rich was scared that night.”

“It’s Rich now, I see,” James said furiously. “Bloody hell, he’s charmed you as well as Evans!”

Sirius laughed. He clapped James on the back and then pulled him back to the window. “What are you more jealous of?” he asked, smirking. “Me liking him, or Lily?” He laughed again at James’ furious face. “Look, Prongs, I’m just saying that, yeah, we don’t know much about him, but he seems an all right bloke to me.”

“And you know that from half a day gazing at him over your pint?” spat James. “Didn’t think you’d be taken in so easily.”

Biting back a retort, Sirius looked at Remus, who raised his eyebrows and snorted quietly. “He’s met my uncle,” Sirius said at last. “You remember me talking about Uncle Alphard?” James nodded, but mutinously. “My lovely Ma and Pa tell everyone that Alphard is an idiot “ soft in the head “ but he’s a shrewd. Rosmerta’s new barman has been to his house, and he wouldn’t have received an invite unless Alphard liked him.”

James stared at him; then he looked at Remus. “Still doesn’t explain what he was doing in the Forest.”

“Trouble is, Prongs,” replied Remus, lying back down on the bed to ease his aches, “we can’t ask him without letting him know that I’m a werewolf and you three are illegal Animagi.” He winced as he tried to get comfortable. “Anyway, I think we have more important things to worry about.”

“Like what?” James asked.

“Like Mulciber, Avery and Crouch attacking Lily and Sonia,” Remus replied sternly.

“Mmm.” Sirius moved to Remus’ bed and sat on the edge. “They’ve stepped up, haven’t they? I mean, attacking us is one thing. We’re not exactly innocent first years anymore.” He smiled slightly and then stared at James. “We have priorities other than a flash git in a bar, Prongs.”

James sighed and removed his glasses. The story of the Slytherin attack on Lily and Sonia had reached Sirius and Remus before he’d had a chance to tell them. On being told of the attack, Professor McGonagall had headed straight for Professor Slughorn’s rooms, and the pair of them had set off to search for the Slytherin trio. Lily and Sonia, after a quick trip to the hospital wing, were sitting in the common room telling everyone who wanted to listen (and that was rather a lot of people) about Sonia hexing Avery in a particularly nasty fashion and Mulciber’s purple face as he was left dangling in the air. James had listened in for a while, proud of the pair of them and somewhat surprised at Sonia, whom he’d always dismissed as a lightweight.

“You’re right,” he said at last, slightly shamefaced. “That attack was nasty and without reason.”

“Oh, there’s a reason,” Remus muttered. He turned his head towards the pair of them. “Lily told Mary that Mulciber called her a ‘Mudblood’. I think you’re right, Padfoot, that they’re stepping up a level. This is the second time she’s been targeted for being a Muggle-born.”

“Second?” Sirius was puzzled; then his face cleared. “The train, yeah, I’d forgotten about that.”

“Phyll’s mum was Muggle-born as well,” James said sadly. He glanced across at his bed, his eye caught by the writing on his trunk. Phyllida had once scrawled a big love heart decorated with flowers over it. It had been impossible to remove because she’d used a particularly complex indelible ink spell, so in the end he’d Spellotaped a picture of the Appleby Arrows over it.

“We need to do something.” Sirius’ voice dragged James away from Phyllida and back to the present. “They can’t go round attacking the Gee-Gees like that.”

James laughed. “Don’t call them that, or those girls will attack you. I agree, though; we can’t take this laying down.” He smiled lopsidedly at Remus. “Although Moony’ll have to for a while.”

Remus pulled a face. “Barty Crouch being there’s a bit odd, isn’t it? I mean, I know he’s a Slytherin, but his dad’s dead against the Dark Arts.” He frowned in concentration. “My dad mentions Crouch sometimes. He doesn’t have much to do with him, but one of the other clerks did some work for him.”

“Peter knows him,” James said promptly and looked in exasperation at his watch. “Where is he? I’m hungry.”

Sirius stood up. “Let’s go to dinner. He can join us, or else raid the kitchen later when we bring stuff back for Remus.” He laughed as he heard Remus’ stomach rumble. “Didn’t eat a lot of food on your date, then? Doing other things with your mouth were we, young Moony?”

Remus flushed slightly and then grinned sheepishly. “Not a lot of eating, no.”

Snorting, James and Sirius left the room and walked down the stairs to the Great Hall. The third years were particularly noisy and excitable, darting around and bumping into them as they descended.

“Were we as idiotic as them?” James asked, watching over the banister as a curly haired Hufflepuff boy, high on Honeydukes chocolate, careened into a suit of armour.

“I was always very cool,” replied Sirius. “But you’ve always been a twat.”

A shout from behind caused him to turn his head. Martha was running down the stairs towards him. He grinned at her, and stepped down onto the trick step. Tripping, he fell down the flight and landed awkwardly, banging his nose.

“Yeah, really cool, Padfoot,” guffawed James. “Shame you grew up.” He grabbed Martha as she ran down, stopping her from following in Sirius’ ungraceful footsteps. “Be careful, I can’t have my Seeker injured. Tryouts are next weekend; make sure you stay intact.”

“Brilliant!” she exclaimed. Releasing herself from James, she walked sedately to where Sirius was watching them from the floor. She sat down next to him and touched him gently on the nose. “Looks sore.”

Sirius touched his nose gingerly and then removed her hand. “Had far worse,” he replied, and grinned at her. “I’ll live.”

Standing up, he linked his arm around her waist and carried on down the stairs. James trundled along behind, hoping that someone “ anyone “ would turn up so he didn’t have to play gooseberry. But the Dining Hall was almost empty when they arrived. There was no sign of Lily, Mary or Sonia, and Peter still had not appeared. James frowned. He shouldn’t be worried “ Peter was probably just walking off his bad mood “ but there was something unsettling about his not being there.

“Potter!” Preston McLaggan called over to him. “Are you actually bothering with tryouts this term, or are you just picking your mates’ girlfriends?”

James looked across the table to see Preston leaning over towards him confrontationally. Sirius and Martha stopped talking, waiting for James’ response.

“Notice for tryouts is on the board, McLaggan. It’s been up since Tuesday.”

“And you’re going to pick the best people at the tryouts, are you?” Preston continued.

James stared at him briefly, and then reached across the table to skewer a leg of chicken with his fork. “I’ll pick the best players who can work as a team. Does that answer your question?”

“Meaning what?”

“He’s just told you, numb nuts,” interrupted Sirius. “He wants players that will work well together and have a bond ... like ... well, me.”

Hell, no! thought James. “Uh ... well, sort of, Padf-” He tried to put Sirius off, but he could see a gleam of excitement in Sirius’ eyes.

“You and me on the team together, Martha. That would be so cool. We’d tear the opposition apart.”

“YOU!” mocked Preston. “What position do you play?”

“Beater,” Sirius replied nonchalantly. “I just never tried out when you were captain because you’re a dick. But now that Gryffindor have a proper captain...” He smirked at James.

James glanced across at Martha, noting with alarm that she seemed eager to have Sirius alongside. Sirius could fly, and fly well, but he’d never been interested in being on the team before. It was James’ ‘thing’, a silent understanding in their group that James was the player and the others didn’t compete. He gnawed at his lip. He couldn’t stop Sirius from trying out. He’d never actively stopped any of them from playing, but after the second year when they’d all tried out and only he had been successful (making it as a reserve Chaser), James had thought he was the only one of the four who really wanted to play.

McLaggan stood up and, staring sourly at the three of them, stalked out of the hall. James looked at Sirius, waiting for him to laugh and say it was a joke, that he had no intention of trying out, it was just a wind up... but Sirius was smiling.

“You know what, Prongs?” he said cockily. “I think I will try out. You, me, and Martha “ we can rip those Slytherins apart.”

James nodded dumbly, hoping his face didn’t show the horror he was feeling. Bloody hell, how could he play Sirius ahead of McLaggan? But how could he not select his best mate?

He chewed at the chicken leg, not feeling very hungry anymore. Sirius was laughing with Martha and talking about brooms in great detail. Their conversation veered into tactics, and Sirius started to include James in the conversation, giving a brilliant “ but totally wrong “ explanation of why Hufflepuff had lost so badly to Ravenclaw last year.

“I’m off,” James interrupted when he’d heard enough. “Got ... um ... an Arithmancy essay to start.”

Sirius waved his hand in reply, but didn’t stop talking to Martha. James heard phrases like ‘blatching’ and ‘haversacking’ coming from Sirius’ lips and he groaned.

***


After leaving the Three Broomsticks, Peter hadn’t gone directly back to Hogwarts, preferring to walk by the river that ran around the village. It was quiet in the winter because most Hogwarts students preferred to be spending money or sitting inside where it was warm rather than to be squelching in the mud along the riverbank. Peter liked it there. Although he was never happier than when he was with his friends, never felt safer than when he was surrounded by them, he occasionally needed time alone to marshal his thoughts.

He’d been stupid to listen to James this morning. Sonia was not ever going to consider him boyfriend material “ certainly not while James was in the picture. Looking at the river, as it bubbled and swirled over its stony bed, Peter watched a duck trying to paddle upstream against the torrent. He wondered why it didn’t just give in, go with the current and drift back to the bank where the other ducks were. Were the minnows really that much better upstream? He sighed. Presumably, the duck thought so, unless it was just plain stubborn.

A sound from behind caused Peter to break off from his ponderings. Turning, he clutched his wand tightly as he saw Snape walking through the copse on the other riverbank, his wand raised.

“The others will be here very soon!” Peter blurted out as he brandished his wand. “You should leave while you have the chance.”

“I’ve been watching you for ages. There’s no sign of the others. You’re by yourself,” Snape replied slowly.

Peter eyed him warily, wondering why Snape hadn’t hexed him yet. “What do you want?”

“Nothing you’ve got, Pettigrew.”

Feeling uneasy, Peter gripped his wand tighter. He could feel his heart pounding in anticipation of a duel but, to his surprise, Snape lowered his wand. “Why are you here, then?”

Snape sat on the opposite bank and stared across the river. “I come here a lot “ just like you.”

Peter’s eyes widened. Had Snape been following him? “I’ve never seen you here.”

“I know.” Snape smiled at him. It was an odd smile, not a smirk, but not friendly either. It was a smile of curiosity, and yet it was knowing. “I didn’t want you to see me before.”

“But you do now?” The palms of Peter’s hands were slimy with sweat, as he tried to keep his voice steady. He wasn’t a fool; he knew that as duellers they were mismatched.

Snape said nothing for a long time, merely tilted his head to one side and carried on smiling as he watched the weaker boy. “Where is your gang, Pettigrew?” Peter said nothing. “I thought you Gryffindors had each other’s backs at all times.”

“They’re coming,” Peter replied, his voice rasping. “I’m early, that’s all.”

“Are you?” Snape mocked. “Or maybe they’ve forgotten about you.”

“No,” Peter said firmly, and glared at his adversary. For some reason, he didn’t feel as scared now. He was here alone, but his friends hadn’t let him down. He was here because he wanted to be. “Where are your friends, Snivellus? Oh, that’s right, you don’t have any. Not real friends. Not like mine.”

He pointed his wand straight at Snape, waiting for him to respond but, apart from a small twitch of his wand hand, Snape was motionless.

“I don’t need anyone else,” Peter thought he heard Snape mutter.

He stared at Snape. “Why are you talking to me?” he asked at last.

Snape shrugged; then, wordlessly, he stood up and walked away.

***


“You’re late!” Lily declared as Peter walked into the Entrance Hall.

Peter looked up at the clock. “Ten minutes, Lily,” he replied irritably. “It’s hardly a detention offence, is it?”

Lily raised her eyebrows; Peter wasn’t usually this snappish. “Well, according to the rules “” she began.

“Put me in detention then,” Peter muttered. “What the hell, I don’t have anything better to do.” He tried to walk past her, but Lily caught his arm.

“Hey, Peter, I was joking. Ten minutes is nothing,” she said softly, and smiled at him. “Anyway, I’m not on duty tonight, so I’m not giving anyone detention.”

He smiled gratefully back. “Sorry, I’ve had a bad-” he began, and then stopped “I thought you were on duty. Isn’t that why you came back early?”

“Mmm, I was supposed to be, but I had a bit of an ... er ... accident on the way back today, so Professor McGonagall ordered me to rest. So ...” She grinned at him. “Now that I’ve rested, I want some food. Do you fancy sitting with me in the Dining Hall?” Lily lowered her voice. “I have an ulterior motive.”

“Which is?” he asked suspiciously.

“Well, two, actually,” she admitted. “First of all, Sirius and Martha are still in there slobbering over each other.” She pulled a face, and Peter laughed. “And secondly, I want to pick your brains about something.”

“My brains?” he replied. “I’m sure James would help.”

“Umm, not so sure about that,” Lily said, blushing slightly. She tucked her arm into Peter’s and walked into the Great Hall with him. “I want to know, Peter, the best way to get into Hogsmeade without being noticed.”

Put on the spot, Peter managed to babble some answer about a back path into Hogsmeade, one that drifted into the Forbidden Forest so should be avoided. Lily looked at him through narrowed eyes, and it was clear she didn’t altogether believe him.

“Peter,” she muttered as they sat down opposite Martha and Sirius, who were now sharing a bowl of grapes, “I know you go into Hogsmeade regularly. It’s the only way you always have a supply of Butterbeer and Fizzing Whizzbees. Do you really expect me to believe that the only way in is through the Forbidden Forest? I don’t think even you four would be idiotic enough to go in there.”

Peter glanced up at Sirius, trying to catch his attention, but Martha was now throwing grapes into his mouth and cheering every time he caught one. “Er, well, yes, but that’s because we go in as a group and ... er ... we’re good at warding off strange animals ... and ...er ... Lily,” he broke off, aware he was sounding like a prat. “Lily, it’s not safe in the forest at night.”

“I’m not planning on going at night!” she exclaimed, raising her voice. “It’s tomorrow at noon. I just want a way into Hogsmeade that won’t be seen by everyone “ is that so bad?”

Alerted by her tone, Sirius turned to face them just as Martha threw a grape. It missed his mouth and hit his ear instead. Almost unconsciously, he rubbed his ear and looked directly at Lily. “Why do you want to go to Hogsmeade?”

“Private conversation, Black,” she replied sharply. “Get back to your fruit salad!”

“Look, Evans,” Sirius said witheringly, “if you want to know how to get in, then I’ll tell you. But ...” He smirked at her. “You have to ask me nicely.”

“I was asking Peter,” she snapped.

Sirius turned his eyes towards Peter. “And what has Wormy told you?”

“That there’s a path running through the forest,” Lily replied in disbelief.

Sirius picked up a small éclair from the plate in the centre of the table. “Mmm, there is, but I don’t think you want to go that way.” He bit into the cake and the cream oozed down his chin. “Perhaps, Lily,” he teased, “you should just stay behind and finish your Transfiguration essay.”

Lily glowered at him. “Fine! Don’t help me. I’ll find my own way in. After all, it’s can’t be difficult, you four have been managing it for years.” She turned to Peter, adding in a shrewish voice, “Sorry for wasting your time.”

“Lily, wait!” Peter called after her, but she didn’t look back.

“Is there another way in?” Martha asked.

Sirius flashed a smile at her and winked at Peter. “That would be telling.”

“Perhaps we should have told her,” fretted Peter.

“Yeah, ‘cause Prongs’d really understand us helping Lily meet up with her new boyfriend,” Sirius replied, and leant back in his chair. “This way she’ll stay behind like a good girl.”

Martha raised one eyebrow. “You really think so?”

“Course!” Sirius scoffed. “Lily Evans is not going to take what she’d call a stupid risk just to see some bloke she’s only met once.” Martha snorted. “Er, why are you looking at me like that?”

“Well, first of all, this isn’t the first time they’ve met,” Martha replied, tilting her head to one side. “Second, you didn’t see Lily in Slythy Fen when Rich carried her nearly a mile to our hotel.” She paused, obviously enjoying the attention from both Sirius and Peter. “Thirdly, Lily would take any sort of risk if she thought it was worthwhile.”

Peter gnawed at his cheek. “She won’t dare go in the forest,” he stated. “She’ll be too scared.”

“She dived into the lake to save James last term,” Martha said haughtily, “and today she and Sonia duelled with Mulciber and Avery. She isn’t a coward!”

“Duelled with who?” Peter asked, his eyes on stalks. “What happened?”

Martha picked up an éclair, popped it in her mouth, and then stood, evading Sirius’ arm as he tried to pull her onto his lap. “I’ll leave it to Sirius to explain, but you shouldn’t underestimate Lily, or any of us, just because we’re girls!

“We don’t!” protested Sirius, but Martha, after a last look back, stalked off, leaving the pair of them watching her in astonishment.

“What did I say?” Sirius asked.

Peter shook his head, and then reached over to help himself to some éclairs. “No idea, mate.”

***


James slept in the next morning. He’d found it hard getting to sleep the night before, for his head was awhirl with thoughts of Quidditch, flash barmen, Sirius, McLaggan, and Mulciber. Having seen the state Lily and Sonia were in when they’d reached the common room, he wasn’t fooled by their laissez-faire attitude. Sonia had been hurt, and he knew something had happened to Lily even though she wouldn’t admit it. In his mind, he’d started plotting, working out the Slytherins’ weaknesses, so they could exact revenge.

It had been a long night.

James looked around the dorm. Only Remus was still in bed. He wasn’t asleep, though: his eyes were open as he stared at the ceiling.

James coughed.

“Where are the others?”

“Early breakfast and then flying practise.” Remus snorted. “Did you tell Sirius to try out for the team?”

“Er, no,” James replied. “Please don’t tell me Peter’s going to try out as well.”

“Doubt it.” Remus yawned. “Padfoot just wanted someone to watch him. He was going to wake you up, but I told him you’d had a bad night.”

James sat up, and putting his glasses on, stared across at Remus. “How did you know I didn’t sleep?”

“Because I didn’t either.” Remus winced as he sat up. “I think Hogsmeade yesterday was a very bad idea. I can barely move without my muscles screaming.”

“You enjoyed it though, didn’t you?”

Remus smiled, but didn’t elaborate.

Stretching, James got up and padded across to the window. From their room he could see right across the grounds at the back and, in the distance, he saw Sirius and Peter returning. He watched them for a while, noting in alarm that as they approached they both seemed in high spirits. He could see Sirius gesturing with his hands and Peter nodding eagerly. Then they both looked up to the window and started to speed up. James ducked behind the curtain.

“Er... Moony,” he began. “You haven’t seen me, all right? I’m ... er ... going out.”

Without waiting for Remus’ reply, James picked up his clothes and Invisibility Cloak and dashed into the bathroom. Last night in the common room had been bad enough. Sirius had not stopped talking about Quidditch, and winding Preston up in the process. James didn’t need a whole day of this. He’d escape for a few hours whilst he tried to work out if he could avoid them both until the tryouts were over. “Perhaps if I land myself a really big detention,” he muttered to his reflection. His reflection grimaced. A big detention would solve any spare time this week, but nothing would solve the problem of him not selecting Sirius.

He washed and dressed quickly; then, slipping on the Cloak, he crept out along the corridor and down the stairs until he reached the common room. Sirius and Peter had just arrived back, so he slid up against the wall, listening to them regaling Martha and Mary with tales about their practise. His heart sank as it became abundantly clear that not only was Sirius going to try out, but Peter too.

Perhaps they’ve improved, he thought desperately, but deep down he knew that was too much to hope for. Sirius was temperamental, Peter too nervous. He caught a whiff of scent as someone else drifted towards them. James pressed himself against the wall as she pulled Sirius to one side. It was Lily.

“Are you going to tell me how to get into Hogsmeade?” she asked belligerently.

Sirius smirked and shook his head. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Miss Prefect.” He chuckled. “You’ll just have to stay here, won’t you?”

James saw Lily glare at Sirius. “I bet bloody Potter’s behind this!” she muttered. “Has he ordered you not to tell?”

“Oi!” Sirius exclaimed. “Prongs can’t order me to do anything. Look, Lily, Peter did tell you about the path through the Forest ... but it’s not safe. We don’t use it.”

“Then how do you get in?” she asked, sounding sulky.

Sirius’ eyes darted around the room. James knew he was trying to decide what to say, unsure probably if he should tell Lily, who was, after all, a prefect. “We ... er .. generally go out after dark. That’s how we get there and back without being seen,” he muttered in reply.

Lily leant in towards Sirius. James could see her staring very hard at his face. “I don’t believe you,” she whispered, and then, turning on her heel, she flounced off to talk to Sonia.

Sirius shrugged and returned to Martha. James, however, watched as Lily and Sonia began talking in whispers. He tried to sidle closer to them to overhear what they were saying, but all he could hear were low murmurings and the occasional giggle from Sonia. After half an hour, Lily glanced around the room and slowly edged out of the portrait door. Shortly after, Sonia followed. Seizing his chance, James crept out of the common room behind her.

As he thought, Lily was waiting and holding two cloaks. “Okay,” she said quietly. “We’ll walk out of the front entrance together and make out we’re going for a walk around the lake. Then, as we reach the edge of the Forest “”

“Lily, are you sure about this?” Sonia asked fearfully. “It’s the Forbidden Forest. You don’t know what could be in there.”

“Pfft, I can handle myself. I’ve been there before ... and at night.”

“Really?” Sonia’s eyes were round with astonishment. “When did you sneak out?”

“Oh...” Lily sounded vague. “Last year. There was something someone I knew wanted me to help him... er ... I mean her with.” She coughed. “Anyway, the point is, I’ve been in the Forbidden Forest before, so if I can only find this path, then I can get in to Hogsmeade.”

Oh, Good Godric, she’s planning on going through the Forest, James thought in horror. It wasn’t just the fact that she was obviously going to meet Soule, but taking that particular path. James shuddered. It was overgrown now; the Marauders hadn’t used it for over a year “ not since they’d found the tunnel behind the one-eyed witch “ but they’d never enjoyed this way into Hogsmeade and had only used it when absolutely necessary. Now they’d become Animagi, the Forest was a lot less terrifying, but James clearly remembered the first few times he’d ventured in with the others. Despite not wanting to show fear in front of each other, all four boys had been scared; they had stayed for only a few minutes before running back towards the lake.

For a second, James wondered whether to rip off his cloak and reveal his presence, but he knew that would not stop Lily or Sonia, who seemed, he was surprised to see, as excited as Lily. Instead, he followed them as they trotted down the winding stairs towards the Entrance Hall.

Lily looked “ there was no other word for it “ alive. She was smiling, giggling, her cheeks flushed with excitement and the possibility of an adventure. James felt something inside his gut gnaw at him, and he winced at the obvious joy on her face. He thought over summer, and then on the train, that they’d made a connection, that he had a chance to at least ask her out. But although she’d been friendlier to him since last year, their relationship was still far from what James wanted it to be.

He trudged behind them as they walked across the grounds and towards the lake, both still giggling. Then, as they slowed down, looking around them for the hidden path in the trees, James increased his pace. He ran until he reached the third beech tree on the edge of the Forest, and ducked behind. Muttering under his breath, he hastily cast an Engorging spell on a clump of thistles so that they covered the narrow entrance of the path.

“Lily, it’s not here,” he heard Sonia call. “Peter was probably making it up.”

“They manage to get in somehow,” Lily replied. James saw her pull on Sonia’s cloak sleeve. “Did Sirius ever tell you how they escaped?”

Sonia pulled a face. “We didn’t spend that much time talking, Lily. Far too busy-”

“Okay, okay, I get the picture!” Lily said quickly. James saw her look around again. “I think you’re right; there’s no entrance here.”

“Shall we go back?” Sonia asked. “I’m sure if you sent Rich an owl, he’d understand.”

“I am not going back to the common room now!” Lily exclaimed. “Potter and Black will be unbearable.” James saw her look towards Hogsmeade. “Look, Sonia, I’m going to take the normal path in and just duck behind trees or something. You don’t have to come with me.”

Sonia looked wistfully back at Hogwarts and then at Lily. James heard her sigh, and then she tucked her arm into Lily’s. “Come on, let’s go and meet Rich. I’ll stay in the Three Broomsticks or go on a long walk to leave you two together.”

He watched as the two girls moved to the side of the main path, carefully checking around them in case Hagrid or Filch were around. Then, heaving his own heavy sigh, James pulled the Invisibility Cloak tighter around him and followed them in.

***


Excitement and nerves fought inside Lily as she approached Hogsmeade. Beside her, Sonia kept up a constant stream of chat, but she was barely listening. Usually she thought Sonia’s conversation irritating, but today she found it helped to calm her and was grateful for the other girl’s company. She wondered where Rich would meet her, where he’d take her and “ she bit her lip nervously “ what he’d expect. He was older, probably twenty, she thought, and Lily was sure he must have had masses of girlfriends before.

“Are you all right?” Sonia asked, slowing her pace slightly.

Lily stopped. “Um, yes I think so. It’s just “” She paused, wondering whether Sonia would sympathise with or laugh at her fears. Just as Lily was about to confide in her, though, she heard footsteps and, turning her head, she saw a figure leaning nonchalantly against a tree.
It was Rich. He walked towards her, a broad grin on his face.

“Hi there.”

“Er, hello,” Lily squeaked. Next to her, Sonia started shaking, and Lily knew she was trying to stop herself from giggling.

As Rich cast a glance her way, Sonia stepped back from Lily. “Don’t worry, I’m not staying, unless “” she winked at Rich boldly, ““ you have a friend.”

Rich laughed. “Unfortunately, Miss ...” He stumbled, obviously not remembering her name.

“Slattery, Sonia Slattery,” Lily supplied.

“Unfortunately, Miss Slattery, I haven’t been here long enough to make friends, and the only man I know is an old goat-obsessed barman at The Hog’s Head.” He lowered his voice. “I doubt he’s your type.”

Sonia laughed again. “That’s okay. I’ll go and sit in the Three Broomsticks or something.” She started to walk off, calling out, “Shall I see you there in an hour?”

“Sounds good,” Rich agreed as Sonia slipped around the corner. Then he held out his hand to Lily. “Would you like to show me Hogsmeade? I’ve seen very little of it since I got here.”

She slid her hand into his and nodded.

From the corner of an alleyway, James watched as Lily and Rich walked through Hogsmeade. With weary resignation, he pulled off the Cloak and walked towards the Three Broomsticks. Sonia was sitting in the corner, nursing another cordial between her hands as he opened the door. She lifted her head, and then smiled in pure pleasure as she saw who had walked in.

At least someone’s pleased to see me, he thought. Peering out of the window, he could see Lily and Rich, still hand in hand, ambling slowly down the high street with all the time in the world. James sighed, took a deep breath and picking up his drink, sauntered over to Sonia.

“This seat free, Son?” he asked, and felt instantly gratified when she said yes.
Chapter Endnotes: Hope you liked that. Next chapter should be up soon, as I actually wrote it staright after finishing this one.