Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lions of Gryffindor by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you, once again, to Ari and Kara who are fabulous betas.

“Did you follow us in?” Sonia asked as James sat down opposite her.

He was about to deny it, claim it was a co-incidence he’d decided to bunk off to Hogsmeade, but there was something about her expression that made him nod ruefully.

“Mmm, I thought I heard someone behind us, but I couldn’t see anything. You must be very good at hiding, James.”

“So-so,” he muttered in reply, and took a sip of his Butterbeer.

“I’m surprised you didn’t stop us. I didn’t think you’d want Lily to meet up with Rich,” she said, not quite looking him in the eye.

James feigned boredom. “Not bothered, Son. What Evans gets up to is her own business.”

“Why did you follow us then?”

James took a long slow gulp of his drink before answering. Then, placing his drink carefully on the table, he stared at Sonia. “Yesterday, you and Lily were attacked by the Slytherins. I just wanted to be on hand if they turned up again.”

“We managed yesterday,” she replied, a little archly.

“Yeah,” he agreed, “because Mulciber and Avery made the mistake of underestimating you both. They won’t do that again. Look, I don’t want to frighten you, but that was a nasty attack.”

Sonia reached out for her drink, but her hand was shaking so much that she knocked it over. The cordial spread out over the table, running towards James. “Oh, Merlin, that’s the second time. You must think me such an idiot.” Pulling out her wand, she hastily siphoned it away. “Sorry,” she whispered.

James gave her hand a small squeeze and smiled. “It’s okay, Sonia. I’m not wearing my good shoes today.”

She giggled nervously. “You did rather squelch out of here when you left yesterday.”

To his amazement, James found himself laughing back. In here, yesterday, it had been horrible. Lily had ignored him, Sonia had been all over him, and Peter had barely spoken a word. But today he discovered that Sonia was actually pretty good company when she wasn’t bitching or flirting. To his surprise, he realised that it was probably the first conversation they’d ever had without the others being around. They talked about school; she was finding N.E.W.T.s harder than she’d imagined and was wondering whether to drop Defence.

“But,” she said, sighing, “I know that’s the important subject. If I were going to drop anything, it should be Divination, especially as Professor Barwick is such an idiot.”

“It’s early days, Sonia,” James replied. “And, as you said, it’s important.”

“I think I’m just a bit wary of Professor Prewett, to be honest.”

James raised his eyebrows. “Prewett? What’s your problem with him?”

“Umm, nothing, really. I just ...” Sonia lowered her voice. “He seems like he really knows what he’s talking about, doesn’t he “ like he knows exactly how to fight.” She shivered. “It scares me. Makes everything seem a lot more serious.”

She slumped back in her chair, all smiles and laughter gone, simply looking forlorn. James said nothing, but sipped at his drink, strangely tongue-tied.

“I miss Phyll,” she blurted out. “Lily and Mary are good company, and we’re friends, but she was my best friend, and I can’t talk to the others in the same way.”

Her eyes glimmered with unshed tears and James felt embarrassed, praying she wouldn’t start crying in the pub, not with Rosmerta’s beady eyes on them.

“Is, not was,” he muttered.

“Pardon?”

“You said Phyll was your best friend. She still is.”

Sonia sniffed and then pulled out a handkerchief. “Not if she doesn’t come back.”

Again, he reached over and squeezed her hand, but this time, instead of withdrawing it, he kept it there. “She’ll come back. I’ll help you persuade her.”

“Oh,” Sonia gulped and giggled through her tears. “Wasn’t that just a ploy to spend time with us yesterday? Honestly James, you and Peter were so transparent.”

James grinned sheepishly at her. “Were we?” She nodded. “Yeah, sorry about that... but I do mean it about Phyll. I miss her, too, you know.” He stood up. “Would you like another?”

Sonia nodded, so James went to the bar. Rosmerta pulled a face at him, obviously disapproving of his skiving out of school, but he knew she was too shrewd a business woman to actively turn away customers.

“Given up on Lily, I see,” she said as he paid for the drinks.

“What?” he asked distractedly, and then cottoned on to what Rosmerta was implying. “It’s not like that. Sonia just happened to be in here.”

“By herself?” Rosmerta queried.

James picked up both drinks, but before he walked off, he glanced at Sonia and then back to Rosmerta. “Not exactly. Uh, Rosmerta, your new barman...”

“Mmm, what about him?” Rosmerta pursed her lips. She peered behind James and over to Sonia, who was gazing expectantly at James. “Ah, I see. Lily walked in with Sonia, met Rich, and you followed them. Not really the way to woo a girl, James. She’ll think you’re a creep.”

“You know something, Rosmerta,” James retorted. “I’m getting a bit sick of everyone lecturing me.”

He walked briskly back to the table, and slammed his drink down. It slopped over the side, but James barely noticed. Handing Sonia her drink, he sat down and moodily stared at the wall ahead.

“What’s the matter?”

“Nothing,” he snapped, and took a swig of his drink. Sonia looked down at her hands. He noticed her swallowing hard and immediately felt guilty. “Sorry, I’m annoyed with Rosmerta, not you.”

“Why, what did she say?”

“Doesn’t matter,” he said, and shrugged. “Do you want to do something else? I don’t really want to stay here.”

Sonia glanced at the door and out of the window. She sighed. “I said I’d wait here for Lily, but you can go if you want. I’m sure we’ll be okay.”

“No, I’ll wait,” he replied sourly. “Will she be long?”

The pub door opening answered his question; James looked across and saw a laughing Lily being dragged inside by Rich. Together they walked up to the bar, where Lily sat on a bar stool whilst Rich vaulted over the bar and started to serve her.

“Rich, if you’re working, then please serve some of the other customers first. Lily can wait!” Rosmerta demanded. “Besides, her friends are waiting in the corner for her.”

In alarm, Lily looked up. Spotting James and Sonia looking at her, she frowned and then hopped off her bar stool. “Why are you here, Potter? It’s Sunday.”

“Nice to see you too, Evans,” he sniped back. “Sorry, I didn’t realise I had to ask you for permission to have a drink. I could ask you the same question.”

Lily flushed angrily. “It’s none of your business,” she muttered. “I just think it’s rather a large co-incidence that you’re here the same time as us.”

James snorted. Leaning back in his chair he smirked at her. “It’s your first time breaking the rules, Evans, but you should know by now it’s not mine. Besides, you may be a prefect, but you’re hardly in a position to lecture me, are you?”

“I had a good reason!” Lily declared.

“Mmm, I’m sure McGonagall will be only too willing to give you a pass out so you can have a snog,” he argued back.

Over at the bar he could see Rosmerta frowning in their direction and Rich eyeing the group curiously. Sonia had sunk back into her chair, watching the pair of them, but saying nothing.

“That’s why you’re here, isn’t it,” Lily hissed. “You wanted to stop me from seeing Rich, didn’t you? Merlin, Potter, I thought you’d finally started to grow up and accepted the fact that I don’t want to go out with you. I never did, so why would I change my mind now?”

He flinched at the vitriol in her tone. Then, suddenly, he was annoyed with her. He hadn’t wanted her to meet Soule, that was true, but the fact that she knew that and flung it in his face angered him.

“You know what, Evans,” he muttered, just loud enough for her and Sonia to hear. “I don’t give a toss. Yeah, I followed you in. But if I’d wanted to stop you seeing lover-boy, then I could have. I had a hundred chances to hex you on the way in, but I didn’t.”

Lily opened her mouth to protest, but James carried on, reeling off a list.

“Leg-Locker Curse, Stunning Spell, Bat-Bogey’s “ you know I’ve used them all in the past when people have annoyed me. Heck, I could even have turned you into a screeching Banshee. Thing is, I doubt anyone would have noticed the difference.” He downed his drink in one gulp and stood up. “Are we ready to go?”

“I’m not going anywhere with you,” Lily said fiercely.

“Well, I’m not leaving without the pair of you,” James retorted.

“Lily, please,” Sonia whispered. “James is only trying to protect us.”

Lily glared at James and then switched her attention to Sonia. “I can handle myself, Sonia. I think I proved that yesterday.”

“As entertaining as this spat is, can you three take this outside?” Unseen by any of them, Rosmerta now stood beside the table, collecting their glasses. “Shouldn’t you be heading back to school before they realise you’ve gone?”

“I am not going anywhere with HIM!” Lily declared, raising her voice.

Rosmerta took a deep breath. “Well, I guess I can spare my barman for another hour. He’ll walk you back to school. Just wait for us to close after lunch, Lily.” She turned her head towards Rich, who was wiping down the bar and removing glasses. “Rich, make sure you get Lily back to Hogwarts, all right?”

“My pleasure,” he replied, smiling at Lily.

“But he hasn’t got a wand-” James exclaimed, breaking off abruptly.

Rich looked at him with interest. Slowly, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a very short, thin wand. “Of course I have a wand, Mr Potter. I never travel anywhere without it. Don’t worry about Lily; I’ll get her back in good time.”

Nonplussed, James stared at Rich, and then dropped his eyes. Sirius must have been mistaken. Rich could not have been the wizard from the Forest. He dropped his shoulders and turned to Sonia. “Shall we go?” he asked dejectedly. She nodded and stood up to join him.

They walked out of the Three Broomsticks in silence. He felt utterly defeated and that angered him. Perhaps Rich Soule really was okay; perhaps it was just his jealousy over Lily that was preventing him from liking the man. But as they turned the corner, walking past the post-office, he heard someone shout his name. It was Rich. Telling Sonia to wait, James trundled back.

“Yes,” he said, acidly polite.

Rich leant in close and grasped the lapel of James’ cloak. “I’d like to know, Mr Potter, why you thought I didn’t have a wand.”

James stared into the older man’s blue eyes, feeling the force of his personality seer into him. He didn’t flinch, or look away, but insolently held Rich’s gaze, all the while thinking quickly. “That wand in your pocket isn’t yours,” James said at last. “I noticed yesterday; it’s far too short for someone of your height. I assumed you’d borrowed it.”

“Oh, so you’re an expert on wands now?” Rich sounded almost amused, as if trying to bait James into saying more.

“My dad’s a historian,” James replied nonchalantly, “and he’s studied wand lore. He tells me things.” He glanced back to Sonia, who was waiting anxiously on the corner. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to get back to school now.”

Rich let go but not before wiping the palm of his hand on the folds of James’ cloak. “No doubt I’ll see you again, Mr Potter.”

“No doubt at all.” Slowly, James walked away, turning back only once to see Rich watching his every move. “Soule,” he called quietly. “Lily and Sonia were attacked yesterday on the way home. That’s why I followed them. Make sure she gets back safely, yeah?”

Rich inclined his head and turned sharply back to the pub. James sighed. He didn’t altogether trust the guy, but for some reason he knew Soule wouldn’t harm Lily.

“What was all that about?” Sonia asked as he joined her.

“Not much,” James replied. “He’s just an arse.”

***


“What did you need to speak to Potter about?” Lily asked later. Rosmerta had closed up now, and Rich was just collecting up the last remaining glasses from the tables.

“Nothing much,” he replied. “I got the feeling he needed to speak to me.”

“And did he?” she said nervously.

Rich placed the glasses on the bar, and then reached over to the bar stool next to her where she’d placed her cloak. “Why didn’t you tell me you’d been attacked yesterday?”

“Oh, that,” she muttered. “It was nothing, Rich, really. Just a stupid boy who wanted Sonia to kiss him. She refused, and we duelled a bit.” She smiled up at him. “We came out of it pretty well, you know.”

“Mmm, I can believe that,” he replied as he helped her into the cloak. “The ‘stupid boy’ didn’t want a kiss from you, then?”

“Merlin, no,” she said, feeling faintly ashamed. “I’m not his type at all.”

Taking her hand, Rich walked with her to the door and together they stepped into the street. There were dark clouds threatening more rain, and she shivered as the wind bit through her thin cloak. Noticing this, Rich wound his arm around her, running his hand up and down her arm to keep her warm.

“Not his type?” he queried. “You’re pretty, bright and female. What’s he after?”

“A pure-blood,” she replied succinctly. “Muggleborns like us are called Mudblood “ that’s ‘dirty blood’, Rich. According to someone like Avery, we shouldn’t be in the Wizarding society and certainly not at Hogwarts.”

Rich’s mouth gaped open in astonishment. “That’s what the fight was about? Lily, you shouldn’t have come here today. No wonder Potter was so prickly.”

“Oh, Potter was just showing off,” Lily replied uncomfortably. She blushed. “He’s got a bit of a thing about me. It’s not serious, I mean he’s never serious about anything and quite honestly he’s so immature, but ... well ...” She cleared her throat. “I think he’s got the message now.”

“Oh,” Rich said slowly. He paused in the middle of the pavement, and turned to face her. “And what message is that?”

“Er... that I’m ... er ... n-not interested in him,” she stuttered.

She could see Rich bowing his head towards her, and she gulped, unsure exactly what was going to happen next. Before she could think, push him away, or even respond, he’d gently brushed her lips with his own and then pulled away. “You’re so cute when you’re flustered, Lily-Lily,” he whispered in her ear.

***


“So then Sirius tried to convince me that he hadn’t forgotten my birthday at all, but that the present he’d bought had been held up at the Owlery,” Sonia said, laughing as she and James sped back to Hogwarts.

“But you didn’t believe him,” James stated. They were hurrying along on the side of the path through long wet grass. Although they were talking, James was keeping a watch around them in case the Slytherins -- or even worse a professor -- suddenly appeared.

Sonia tossed her head and grinned at him. “’Course not. I knew by then that Sirius wanted to finish with me; he just didn’t have the guts.” She stopped smiling. “He was trying to get me to end it, so I hung on. More to annoy him, really. Then he became very distant, and it wasn’t fun anymore.” She stopped walking and gazed at the castle in the distance. “I shouldn’t be telling you all this, should I? After all, he is your best friend.”

“Yeah, he is,” James replied simply. “But I know he can be a pain at times. Merlin, he wants to try out for the team next week. And he’s persuaded Peter to have a go, too. I think I’m doomed to have the worst team in Gryffindor history.”

Sonia started laughing. “Sirius would spend more time watching Martha than the game. Plus he gets bored so quickly. And oh, oh, oh, I’m sorry, but the thought of Peter on a broom! He can barely fly straight.”

James frowned. She was unerringly accurate in her assessment, but her mockery of Peter jarred him. “He’s my friend as well,” he said moodily, and kicked a stone with his shoe.

“Sorry,” she muttered, and stepped away to the side on the verge of the path.

He watched as her mouth drooped and she stared at the ground. She walked on further away from him, anxious it seemed to get some space between them. “He’s my friend,” James called after her. “I just don’t understand why you won’t give him a chance.”

Sonia turned to face him, raising her arms in bewilderment. “He’s Peter! I know that sounds mean, but I don’t think of him in that way.” She took a breath. “Janice Diggory!”

“What about her?” James asked wondering why on earth she was talking about a fierce-looking, stocky Hufflepuff in their year.

“She likes you, James. She asked me all about you last year whenever we had Herbology. Would you like me to introduce you “ properly?”

“Merlin, no!” he exclaimed.

“Why not?” Sonia scoffed. “She’s perfectly nice. Why won’t you give Janice a chance?”

“Because... because ...”

“Because you don’t think of her in that way, do you?” Sonia put her hands on her hips and stared at him. “At least I’m honest enough to admit it. I’ve never given Peter the slightest hint that I’m interested, yet you all expect me to go out with him because he likes me, because he’s a good mate!”

She turned away from him, flouncing onto the main path without giving him a backward glance. James watched her, grudgingly admiring her spirit, and jogged to catch her up.

“I’m sorry,” he called after her. “Sonia ... wait!”

“Why, so you can shout at me some more?” she asked, striding further ahead.

He reached out and plucked at her sleeve then pulled her to face him. “You’re the one shouting,” he said softly, and grinned at her. “And threatening me with Janice Diggory. Wow, you’re mean!”

Grudgingly, she smiled back and then started to giggle. Close up, James noticed how deliciously her lips curved when she smiled and how her eyes sparkled when she laughed. He wondered what it would be like to kiss her. Sirius had wrapped himself around her for three months, but never elaborated except to hint that she was more than up for it. He inched infinitesimally towards her, noting that she’d tilted her head up towards his as if she knew what would happen next.

Peter. The picture of his friend flittered into his mind. I can’t.

He meant to step back, or turn his head away, perhaps just plant a soft peck on her cheek instead of those inviting, rose-petal lips, but something kept him there. Sonia was now so very close, and he realised that his hand had moved from her arm to her waist.

“Well, well, well. What have we here? Two students on their way back from an unauthorised trip into Hogsmeade. I’m sure your Head of House will be very interested in what I have to tell her,” growled the voice of Hogwarts’ caretaker, Argus Filch.

***


Professor McGonagall studied them both for a long time before speaking. After listening to Filch’s report, she flapped him away to the back of the room with her hand and bade James and Sonia to sit on two hard wooden chairs.

“Well!” she barked at last. Sonia jumped at her tone, but James “ being used to it “ sat back. “What do you have to say for yourselves?”

“It was a m...m...mistake,” Sonia stammered, and cast James a sidelong glance. She took a breath. “We weren’t coming back from Hogsmeade, Professor McGonagall. We were just taking a walk and strayed onto the path.”

James saw his Head of House raise one eyebrow. “Indeed, Miss Slattery. Then tell me how you managed to stray so far from the grounds of Hogwarts?”

“Er...” Sonia glanced at James despairingly. “We lost track of where we were?” She laughed slightly and lowered her voice. “We were a bit distracted, Professor.”

“How touching,” reposted Professor McGonagall. She turned to face James, who hurriedly assumed a blank expression.

Hell, he thought, she doesn’t believe a word of it.

“You concur, Potter?”

“What?” he replied. “Oh ... er ... yeah. Sonia and I were just taking a walk and ... uh ...” He stopped under Professor McGonagall’s glare. Now was not the time to lie. They’d been too far out of Hogwarts to make it seem like an error. “Okay, Professor, here’s the truth. I went into Hogsmeade. I know I shouldn’t have, but I was trying to escape from Sirius and Peter.” He leant forward and grinned at her. She didn’t grin back, so he decidednot to try a wink. “They want to try out for the team, and I’m running out of places to hide, so I ran off.”

“Carry on!” she barked.

James swallowed. “I was coming back and I ... er met Sonia “ Miss Slattery-“

“I am aware who Sonia is, Potter!”

“Yeah, sorry.” James cast his eyes to the ground. “Sonia was ... um ...”

“I was just out for a walk, Professor, and happened to meet James-”

“Then she started shouting at me for going into Hogsmeade. I ... er ... got into a bit of a mood and started to walk away. Sonia followed and um ... that’s how we ended up on that path.” He stared directly into Professor McGonagall’s eyes, knowing that it would look as if he were telling the truth if he didn’t drop his gaze. “Sonia wasn’t in Hogsmeade.”

“Mr Filch said you were a ‘courting couple’,” she said, exchanging a look with the caretaker still standing at the back of the room. “He reported that you were kissing. I think it highly unlikely that you would meet “ by chance “ and start kissing, Mr Potter. Or am I so dreadfully out of touch?”

“We weren’t kissing!” James replied vehemently.

“Mr Filch was mistaken,” Sonia whispered, but she wouldn’t look at either James or the professor.

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips. “Well, Potter, if that is your story...”

“It is,” he replied.

“Then you acted in a wholly irresponsible and reckless way. You know the rules, and yet you still decided to flout them.” She paused. “I had hoped that giving you the position of Quidditch Captain would make you more responsible. It seems I was wrong and I must reconsider.”

“What?” James got to his feet, shaken out of his usual insouciance. “B...but, Professor, that’s unfair. It was just a trip to Hogsmeade.”

“It is against the rules. You are aware of that.”

James felt sick to the pit of his stomach. Dumbly, he unpinned the badge from the front of his jumper. He noticed how it shone in his hand and felt a lump in his throat.

“No!” exclaimed Sonia, and stayed his hand. “Professor, it’s not James’ fault. He was following me. I was the one sneaking into Hogsmeade, and James followed because he knew it wasn’t safe.” She swallowed and then leant across the desk. “Please, Professor, it’s not fair to punish him.”

“You went in by yourself,” Professor McGonagall stated. Sonia nodded. “Why?” The question dropped like a stone in a pool.

James looked across at Sonia as she licked her lips. She too held the professor’s gaze. “I was meeting someone,” she replied. “I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t have been, but he’s ... er ... not at Hogwarts.”

There was a long, long silence. Professor McGonagall assayed them both and then leant forwards. “You realise, Miss Slattery, that if what you’re saying is the truth I’ll have no option but to bar you from the next Hogsmeade trip and put you in two weeks detention. Furthermore, there’s a loss of house points from Gryffindor to consider.”

Sonia swallowed. “I understand, Professor.”

“What on earth were you thinking, setting off alone? Especially after yesterday.”

“I “I-I wasn’t thinking,” Sonia stuttered. She turned to James. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to get you into trouble.”

James stared at her, conflicting thoughts revolving around his brain. Sonia wasn’t exactly lying, her version of the truth only omitted Lily from the story, but he felt odd letting her shoulder all the blame. He could feel the pin of the badge cutting into the palm of his hand. His dad had been so proud. Perhaps sensing his unease, Professor McGonagall pounced.

“Is this true, Potter?” she murmured.

Sonia imperceptively nodded. “Er...” James hesitated.

“Excuse me, Professor,” interrupted the nauseous creeping tones of Filch. “I saw this pair together.”

“You saw us on the path home, yes,” Sonia corrected. “I’ve already admitted that.”

Filch stepped forwards. “No, no, no, Miss Slattery. I saw you and Potter here, sitting in The Three Broomsticks together. You looked very cosy, and there was no one else there.” He paused and smiled nastily. “Later, I saw you both in the high street, walking back.”

James slumped in his chair. Sonia, beside him, bit her lip. “Sorry,” she whispered.

“It’s not your fault,” he muttered. He looked from Sonia to Filch and then turned his gaze onto his Head of House. Stretching out his hand, he carefully placed the badge on her desk and wordlessly walked from the room, too upset to hear the rest of his punishment. He heard Sonia’s chair scrape back as she stood up and quickly followed him.

“I’m so sorry,” she moaned, once they’d reached the corridor. He could see tears swimming in her eyes. “It’s unfair that you’ve been punished. You didn’t do anything.”

James laughed hollowly. “Makes up for all the times I wasn’t caught, I suppose,” he said bitterly. He turned to face the wall and thumped at the stone brickwork. Several of the portraits jumped and squealed at the sound, but James was oblivious. He carried on hitting the wall, all the while aware that Sonia was standing with him. He wanted her to go, to leave him alone but, at the same time, he felt pathetically grateful that she’d stayed. At last, he turned around and faced her. “Thanks for trying, Son.”

By now the tears were streaming down her cheeks, she looked so unlike the composed, beautiful girl she usually was that James stared harder. Aware of his scrutiny, she turned her face away. “I’ll ... er ... leave you alone.”

“Don’t want to be seen with the ex-Quidditch captain now,” he retorted sarcastically, desperate to wound someone. ”Don’t see me in that way, anymore, Slattery.”

“Oh,” she murmured, and took a step towards him. She touched him gently on the arm. “No, James, it’s not that at all. I just thought you’d want to be by yourself.” She sniffed. “Plus, I must look an absolute fright.”

Slowly, as if in a dream, as if it were happening to someone else and he were merely watching, James lifted his hand to her face. Gently he brushed away her tears; then, cupping her chin, he lowered his lips to hers. If Sonia hesitated, it was only for a brief second. Lifting her hands to his neck, she responded urgently. James pulled away momentarily, a myriad of emotions swirling inside him. He’d lost the captaincy and Lily couldn’t give a toss, but here “ right now “ there was this girl, a beautiful girl, and she was kissing him.

“What’s the matter?” Sonia murmured, gazing up at him, her lips half-parted in anticipation.

“Nothing,” he muttered, and started kissing her again.

Somehow, James found they’d inched themselves up against the wall. A portrait to the right was chuntering about the ‘youth of today having no morals.’ Sonia started giggling and pushed James away. “Perhaps this isn’t the best place for this.”

James groaned as Sonia stopped and began to move away. She held out her hand, smiling up at him. He took her hand and allowed her to lead him away from the corridor. But the break from her kisses caused something “ or rather someone “ to loom large in his mind. “Oh Merlin, Peter,” he whispered in horror.

Halting abruptly, the loss of motion jerking Sonia back towards him, he closed his eye and let go of her hand. “I can’t do this, Sonia. Peter ...” He tailed off under the hurt look waving across her face.

“I don’t fancy Peter,” she complained. “I do fancy you. And just now, you seemed to find me not exactly repulsive either.”

“It’s complicated, Son. He likes you a lot.” He ran his hands through his hair and clasped the back of his head. “I shouldn’t have kissed you. I was angry at losing the badge and it suddenly seemed like a great idea.”

“Oh, so I’m just a bloody consolation prize, am I?” she hissed. Spinning on her heel, she started to walk off, but stopped abruptly. “You weren’t angry on the path back to Hogwarts, James.” She stepped back in front of him. “You were going to kiss me then, weren’t you?”

“N-N-No,” James stammered, but he knew she wasn’t fooled.

Smiling at him, Sonia stood on her tiptoes and very gently kissed him on the mouth. He closed his eyes. Merlin, it felt good. His arms dropped to his sides and he slid them around her waist, pulling her into him. But Sonia pushed him away. “I’m never going to go out with Peter. You know that, and I’m not going to ask you to choose. I know I can’t win against your friends, so it’s up to you and what you want.”

He watched her walk away, watched as she didn’t turn around, but left him standing there. “The Quaffle’s in your hands, James,” she called as she slipped around the corner and out of his sight.

***


Lily entered the Gryffindor common room on a high. Although she’d been fearful about sneaking back to Hogwarts “ especially with a man who wasn’t a student “ her fears had been assuaged by Rich’s knowledge of a certain spell. He’d Disillusioned them both and, although she knew they were not actually invisible but merely camouflaged, it had been far, far easier making the return trip.

She smiled to herself for, as they’d reached the boundary of Hogwarts, Rich had released her from the disguise. She’d felt a warm glow steal over her as she became visible, and then his lips, still cool from the illusion, found hers and he’d kissed her far more intensely than he had in the high street. Her senses reeling, she’d reluctantly bade him farewell, and watched for a while as he’d slunk back to Hogsmeade, his outline blurring as it became one with its surroundings.

“And just where have you been all afternoon, Miss Evans,” declared a giggling Mary as she stepped inside the common room. She was sitting with Remus and Peter, playing Exploding Snap. Opposite them, Martha was leaning against Sirius, writing an essay, whilst Sirius was reading a magazine and absentmindedly twirling her hair between his thumb and forefinger.

“I,” Lily replied as she shrugged off her cloak, “found a way into Hogsmeade.”

“How?” asked Sirius, putting down his magazine and eyeing her curiously.

“The main path,” she declared. “Quite easy when you keep a look out. I don’t know why you four always made such a big deal about getting in.”

“Beginner’s luck,” grunted Sirius, and resumed reading his magazine.

“And the help of a skilled wizard,” Lily agreed. She started giggling again. She sat on the sofa next to Martha and helped herself to an apple from the fruit basket on the table. “I learned a new spell today. It’s almost like having an Invisibility Cloak.”

“Oh.” Remus and Peter looked up from their game, obviously intrigued. “What was it?”

“That,” Lily replied as she bit into her apple, “would be telling. And I’m not sure I want to share with you, especially as none of you would help today.” She swallowed and turned to Sirius. “Telling Potter was just stupid. He didn’t even try to stop us.”

“Er, I didn’t,” Sirius said, and yawned. “Not seen James all day, actually.”

Hearing the common room door slam, they all turned around to see Sonia standing there. She stared at Lily. “You got back, then,” she said softly.

Lily nodded and began to tell her how easy it had been. Sonia lifted her hand and turned away. “Good for you. Not so good for me and James, though.”

“Did you get caught?” Lily laughed. “Wow! The great James Potter isn’t as good at sneaking around as he always lets on.” She grinned at Sonia, but her smile faltered when she saw Sonia was glaring venomously. “Oh, come on, Sonia. It’ll only be detention, won’t it?”

Walking over to the group, in earshot of the entire common room, Sonia shook with rage. “James lost the badge, Lily. He’s no longer captain of the team, and he was only in Hogsmeade because of us. Actually, no, he was only there because of you. I was only there because of you. I just hope Rich was worth it.”

Open mouthed with shock, Lily flicked a hand through her hair. Her fingers strayed down to the prefect’s badge attached to her robe. “I didn’t know,” she whispered. Around her she could see the others staring at Sonia in horror. “Does Professor McGonagall know about me?”

“Of course not!” Sonia exclaimed, scorn dripping from her mouth. “We don’t sneak, do we, EVER.”

“Where’s Prongs?” Sirius interrupted. “Sonia, where’s James now?”

She nodded her head wearily. “I don’t know.”

“Oi,” said a voice from the corner. “Are you telling us, Slattery, that Potter’s no longer captain?”

“That’s right, McLaggen, “ muttered someone from the doorway. It was James. Refusing to look at the seated group, he half-smiled at Sonia, and then directed his words to Preston. “Perhaps you’ll get another chance. Or maybe McGonagall will show some sense and pick Martha instead.”

“James, I had no idea.” Standing up, Lily walked across to him and touched him gently on the arm. “I’m so sorry.”

He looked down at her hand on his arm, her long fingers squeezing sympathetically, but it wasn’t sympathy he wanted now. He jerked away from her. “Forget it, Evans,” he said shortly. Turning his back on them all, James headed out of the common room and up the stairs to his room.

In his dormitory, he sat on his bed staring at the picture of his parents on his bedside cabinet. He knew they loved him, spoilt him and would forgive him anything, but the badge had meant so much to his dad. James was bright, he always got good marks on his exams, so whilst his O.W.L. marks had made his parents happy, they had been expected. Being Captain, however, was different. It showed his Head of House thought highly of him and, after the frequent letters home complaining of his irresponsible behaviour, it had been a refreshing change. Of course, they would forgive him, but he sorely wished there was nothing to forgive. Sighing, he reached across to his drawer and pulled out a quill and parchment.

There was a knock on the door. James frowned. The others wouldn’t knock, so it had to be someone else “ Sonia, probably. He sighed. He didn’t want to face that dilemma right now. There was another knock.

“Can I come in?” Lily called from outside.

“Why?” he asked brusquely, not sure he wanted to speak to her either.

“Because I need to talk to you, and I don’t want the rest of Gryffindor to hear.”

Relieved that it wasn’t Sonia and he didn’t have to deal with that particular situation, James picked up his wand and opened the door. Lily stepped inside and looked around. “Bit different from when we were first years,” she murmured, attempting a smile.

James shrugged. “What do you want?”

She winced at the undercurrent of hostility in his tone, but didn’t flinch from her purpose. “Why did you follow us into Hogsmeade?”

“Curious, I suppose,” he lied.

There was a silence. Lily sat on the carpet in front of him and stared at the picture of his parents. “Sonia is very angry with me. I’ve never seen her in such a rage. She says you were only trying to protect us. Is that true?” she asked softly.

James looked at the picture, his dad with a loving arm around his mum, who looked for all the world as if she were exasperated with all his attentions. But James knew she wasn’t. His mum loved his dad very much, and if there was any irritation it quickly died down.

“I was curious,” he admitted. “I wanted to see if you’d actually make it into Hogsmeade.” He smiled at her slightly. “You both did well, despite Sonia rabbiting all the time.” Lily smiled back. “But I also wanted to be there in case you were attacked again.”

She laughed scornfully. “Potter, they wouldn’t dare. Plus, Mulciber and Avery are in detention. They won’t be able to leave Hogwarts for at least a month.”

“They’re not the only ones,” he replied searchingly. “There’s a whole gang of Slytherins who won’t like the fact that the pair of you hurt two of theirs.” He recited names, ticking them off his fingers. “Nott, Rookwood, Snape.” He paused, noticing that she looked away when he said that particular name. “Crouch, and even Regulus Black. Look, I’m not trying to scare you, but that’s the second time you’ve been targeted.”

She whipped her head around, but he didn’t think she looked surprised at his assertion. “Because I’m a ‘Mudblood’!”

“Because you’re a Muggle-born, yes,” he corrected. “Phyllida’s mum was a Muggle-born, Lily.”

“You think they want to kill me!” It sounded preposterous when she said that, but James didn’t laugh.

“I think they’d like nothing better than to hurt you,” he replied. “You’re a bright student, and that must be really annoying to them. All their theories about Pure-blood supremacy die when they meet someone like Mrs Lacey “ or you.”

Lily swallowed. Without speaking, she stood up and started to walk to the door. As she left, her hand lingered on the door handle. “Thank you for telling me,” she said in a quiet, calm voice.

Although he had no desire to sit in the Great Hall and eat dinner, James knew that by putting off facing the other Gryffindors it would make breakfast even more unbearable, so he agreed with his friends that he’d join them at the table. All four were subdued as they entered the common room before dinner. Remus stayed by his side, not joining Mary, and James felt grateful for that. His friends would always be there for him. He glanced at Sonia, but she wouldn’t look at him. Looking round the room, he couldn’t see Lily, and wondered briefly where she was. Surely, she wasn’t afraid to face him, not after they’d talked.

The common room door opened; Lily entered, followed by their Head of House.

Her eyes scanned the room and he thought he caught a glimmer of a smile on her face as they rested momentarily on Preston before she found James. “Potter, you dropped this in my office. I trust you haven’t been looking too hard for it,” she said, and held out her hand.

McGonagall unfurled her fingers; he saw his badge, his shiny, bright Quidditch captain’s badge, lying on the palm of her hand. “B-B-But I thought,” he stammered.

“I said I needed to reconsider. I have now reconsidered, and have come to the conclusion that you are still the best person for the job.” She gestured to Lily. “Miss Evans has assured me that you were only trying to protect her and Miss Slattery, so I hardly think I can penalise you for showing such gallant responsibility, especially as you are a Gryffindor.” She paused, adding sternly, “You will have a week’s detention to serve, and I am deducting twenty house points apiece, but I expect you to win them all back once the season starts.”

As she turned to leave, her gaze strayed on the Quidditch try-outs poster. “Ah, good. You’ll be after fresh blood this year, will you, Potter?”

“Possibly, Professor,” he replied, still in shock. He stared at the badge in his hand. “Er... thank you.”

“I’d rather your thanks were saved for the pitch, Potter, or some responsible behaviour in class,” she stated. With a last ghost of a smile, she left the common room.

“YES!” yelled Sirius as he punched the air. “We’ve got our captain back. Wormy, let’s have another practise after dinner.”

Aw, hell, no! thought James, but he couldn’t stop laughing.