Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lions of Gryffindor by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you so much to Kara (Karaley Drargen) and Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter and really helping me.

Detention without Sirius had its compensations, James decided. For a start, it meant he could avoid talking about Quidditch with his suddenly- obsessed friend. Also, although his mate was a lot more fun than Lily and Sonia, detention tended to end in them both being given an extra detention because of the havoc they’d caused. Detention with the girls was a much calmer affair. No doubt the fact that no one was actually talking to each other helped the serenity. Lily, he assumed, was embarrassed by the whole thing, and Sonia ... Well, she was definitely ignoring him and didn’t seem to want to talk to Lily, either.

He was quite impressed, actually. He’d expected Sonia to start badgering him about that kiss again, despite her saying she’d leave the decision up to him, but instead she didn’t say a word. She wasn’t rude “ exactly “ but when he did catch her eye, she would turn away and not look back.

James wondered why he wanted to catch her eye. Given that she was ignoring him, he could easily pretend that nothing had happened. That way Peter would never find out. He scrubbed harder at his cauldron. Tonight was his last detention. He wouldn’t have to think about gunge-encrusted cauldrons, or the way Sonia’s bottom jiggled when she was scrubbing particularly thoroughly. Not that he was watching Sonia’s bottom, exactly. But sometimes he just happened to notice...

Shaking his head, he thought about tomorrow. He was holding try-outs and would no doubt spend his evening being harangued by Sirius and Peter about the team.

He heard a muffled cry and looking up from the burnt cauldron saw Sonia holding her wrist. Lily hurried to her side, and he heard her ask what was wrong.

“There’s something sharp at the bottom of that one,” Sonia explained, and as she turned to Lily, James saw that her thumb was bleeding.

“Sir,” Lily called to Professor Slughorn, who was supposed to be keeping an eye on them, but was actually in his study. She glanced back at Sonia’s thumb, which was bleeding profusely now. “I’ll go and get him.”

“Merlin, just use your wand, Evans,” James declared. “We’re not allowed to use magic to clean these things, but Slug’s not going to argue about using our wands for that.” He smirked at her. “He’s especially not going to mind you using magic, Little Miss Prefect.”

She scowled at him, but brought out her wand. Sonia, however, stepped back, grasping her thumb to her chest. Before Lily could react, James saw Sonia swaying. Instinctively, he ran forwards and caught her.

“Steady, steady,” he soothed. “Merlin, it’s not that deep is it?”

“Blood,” she murmured incoherently.

Looking into her face, James saw her eyes roll back into her head.

“B-but, you were fine the other day when Mulciber attacked. Lily was cut,” he said in astonishment. But Sonia was beyond comprehension. He laid her down on the floor and crouched by her side.

“Her own blood, Potter,” remarked Lily. “Don’t you remember Sonia’s Boggart in our third year?” He shook his head. “It was her dismembered hand, oozing blood.” She knelt down by Sonia and this time brought her wand out. “Enervate!”

Sonia opened her eyes. “I feel very odd,” she said woozily.

Looking at her thumb, James saw a long jagged cut, leeching into her palm. The blood seemed odd, frothing somehow. He frowned and then, standing up, he peered into her cauldron. Embedded in the goo and grime of the last class’s experiments, he saw something. Gingerly, he poked it with his wand, and then leapt back.

“Godric! That’s a Venomous Tentacula spike!” He turned round sharply to look at Sonia; she was very pale with sweat beading on her forehead.

“It can’t be!” Lily replied. She sounded calm, but as she caught James’ eye, he saw that she was worried. “These are from a first year class, Potter. They don’t use restricted ingredients “ you know that.”

James didn’t listen. He ran to the door shouting for the professor, his voice echoing through the Dungeons.

“James,” called Lily urgently. “She’s fainted again.”

Shouting again for Slughorn, James ran back to Sonia. Her lips were bloodless now, as white as her face. She was shivering, her body twitching in tiny spasms.

“Professor Slughorn!” screamed Lily. “We need help!”

“Merlin, where is that fat oaf?” James demanded furiously. “This is no good. Unless you can brew something up, Evans, I’m taking her to Pomfrey, NOW!”

“It’ll take too long. Besides, it might not be a Venomous Tentacula,” Lily said, but her shaking voice belied her words.

“Check the bloody cauldron yourself, if you don’t believe me,” he snapped. “I did pass Herbology, you know.”

“Sorry,” she muttered.

James thought she was about to start talking to him again, but as he watched Sonia fall further into unconsciousness, he swiftly picked her up in his arms and charged out of the classroom. “You coming?” he called as he ran through the Dungeon.

Lily nodded, pausing only to pick up the cauldron Sonia had been cleaning.

“This is becoming a habit, Potter, taking people to the hospital wing, I mean,” she panted as they rushed up the stairs. It was after nine in the evening and the staircases were quiet, unmoving, as there were hardly any pupils around to prank.

“Sirius knew what he was up against,” James muttered. He glanced at Sonia; her breathing was becoming shallower. He wondered briefly whether to run to Professor Dumbledore, but if he wasn’t in his study, they’d waste more time. “This is something else.”

James was starting to tire, but he kept on running as Sonia’s head lolled to one side. Although she was slight, his arms ached as he pounded up each flight of stairs. The tempting thought of a Lightening Charm floated into his head, but he dismissed it remembering the havoc it had wreaked on Sirius.

“Lily,” he gasped, “Go on ahead, and warn Madam Pomfrey.”

She nodded and he saw her streaking past, still carrying the cauldron. Within minutes, as he ascended the sixth flight of stairs, he heard a commotion in front of him and caught a glimpse of red hair. He sighed with relief. She was back and had help.

“What’s happened?” The voice of Professor Prewett reached him before James could discern who was with Lily. James looked up to see Prewett and Madam Pomfrey, worry etched on their faces.

“Venomous Tentacula spike,” he wheezed. “She scratched her hand.”

“Okay, Potter, you’ve done very well. That was very quick thinking,” Madam Pomfrey said as she assessed the girl in his arms. “Professor Prewett, if you’d take Miss Slattery to the hospital wing now.”

“I can carry her,” James protested.

“No,” Madam Pomfrey ordered. “You’re exhausted. She’ll be all right, Potter; the spikes aren’t as dangerous as the fangs. You may follow on behind us, if you wish.” She glanced at Lily. “Bring the cauldron, please, Miss Evans.”

Heaving himself up from the floor, scarcely aware that Lily was holding out a hand to help him up, James took a huge wracking breath. “Merlin, that was close.”

“You were so quick,” Lily said in a hollow voice. “Sorry, I wasn’t much use there.” She gazed at him. “What did you mean about this being something else?”

James started walking along the corridor, trying to formulate his thoughts. He badly wanted to speak to the others, but Lily needed to know, and he had to check that Sonia really was going to recover.

“You said it yourself,” he said at last. “First years don’t use restricted ingredients. That cauldron was spiked in more ways than one.”

“But why?”

He stared at her in non-comprehension. She must know why. Her refusal to accept what was plainly obvious infuriated him.


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake, Lily,” he snapped and snatched the cauldron from her, as he picked up the pace and ran to the hospital wing. “The whole bloody school knows we had detention. They all knew us three would be in that classroom cleaning cauldrons; it’s McGonagall’s favourite punishment, having us do something menial.”

“So it was deliberate. Is that what you’re saying?”

Lily was asking a question, but James knew from the look in her eyes that she believed him.

“Mmm, and I don’t think they cared which one of us they got.” He carried on speaking as he ran again, up the final flight of steps and along the corridor to the hospital wing.

At the door, Professor Prewett stopped him. “Not yet, Potter. Madam Pomfrey is getting her into bed. I’ll take the cauldron, though.”

James nodded and handed it over. From the corridor, he could hear Sonia crying.

“Is she going to be all right?”

“She will be.” Professor Prewett paused as they waited for Lily to join them. “Madam Pomfrey is applying something to draw out the poison. It’s painful, believe me, I’ve had the same trouble, but it does work.” He smiled ruefully, and then held up his arm, displaying a jagged scar. “Look, Potter, Miss Evans, Professor Dumbledore is going to want to speak to you about this before you speak to anyone else.”

“Of course,” Lily replied.

James didn’t look at her or the professor, thinking mutinously that he needed to speak to Sirius right away.

“Potter!” rapped Professor Prewett. “You’ll go and see Professor Dumbledore with Miss Evans.”

“Yeah,” he said, and sighed. “We’ll see Sonia and then go.”

Prewett studied him closely; then, without another word, he walked back into the hospital wing. James watched as the teacher placed the cauldron on Madam Pomfrey’s desk and, using a silver knife, cut out the Tentacula spike. Lily stepped closer towards him “ so close James could hear the rise and fall of her breathing. He turned his head slightly, but didn’t look away from the curtained area where Sonia was. “You okay?”

“Mmm, just ... well ... it could have been any of us, couldn’t it?” She gulped, and James turned fully to look at her. “If it had been you...,” she muttered, before trailing off.

James looked at her, unable to believe what she was saying. Was he important to her? Did she care?

Lily peered through the glass, now concentrating on Sonia. “If it had been you, I don’t know what we’d have done. Sonia wouldn’t have recognised the plant, and you saw me, I didn’t want to believe what it was. You were so quick, James.”

He looked away, annoyed with his thought. Mulishly kicking the wall in front of him, he mentally berated himself for jumping “ yet again “ to the wrong conclusion. Setting himself up for another fall.

“You can see Miss Slattery now,” Madam Pomfrey murmured as she walked across to them.

She had drawn the curtain around the bed, and as James entered the ward, he saw Sonia, propped up on pillows, still looking pale but with a wan smile on her face. “Thanks,” she murmured, addressing them both. Her eyes lingered on James.

“Does it hurt?” he asked, noticing that although her hand was bandaged, it was seeping something gooey and obnoxious.

“A little,” she sniffed, then winced as she tried to wiggle her fingers. “Actually, rather a lot. And I’m really thirsty, but Madam Pomfrey hasn’t brought me a water jug, yet.” She looked beseechingly at Lily, who smiled back and walked off to the corner of the ward where there was a sink and a cupboard full of jugs.

“Thanks again,” Sonia murmured. “Madam Pomfrey told me you acted quickly and this could have been a lot nastier.”

“Rescuing damsels in distress is my thing,” he joked, and sat in one of the chairs by her bed.

Although Sonia was smiling, she looked suddenly rather sad. He saw a tear glimmering on her lower lash, and looked away. Shuffling his feet, he wondered whether to leave. “Bet you wish the damsel had been Lily, don’t you?” Sonia said at last in a strange small voice. “You kept looking at her all through detention tonight.”

“Was I?” James said, puzzled. Then his face cleared and he grinned. “Actually, Son, I was avoiding looking at you.”

“Here you go,” Lily said breezily as she placed the pitcher of water on Sonia’s bedside cabinet. “I’ll pour you a glass, shall I?”

“What did you say?” Sonia asked.

“Do you want a glass?” Lily repeated.

“No, not that.” Sonia shook her head and stared at James. “Why?”

Out of the corner of his eye, James could see Lily looking on in bemusement, the glass still in her hand. This was not the time or place for this type of conversation, especially as he hadn’t worked out exactly why he was avoiding looking at Sonia. “Peter,” he muttered in undertone.

Sonia sighed. “Yes, of course,” she replied. She gave a sudden yawn, which James instinctively knew was fake. “Look, I’m really tired now. I think I’d like to sleep if you don’t mind.”

“Sure,” Lily replied chirpily. She bent forwards and gave Sonia a quick hug. “You get a good night’s sleep. Potter and I have a date, anyway.”

“We do?” James raised his eyebrows.

“Mmm, with Professor Dumbledore, remember?” she teased.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked apologetically at Sonia. “Yeah, right. We’ve got to go through this with him,” he explained to her. “Um, any idea when you’ll be out?”

“Tomorrow, sometime,” Sonia replied wearily, and closed her eyes.

She did look tired, he thought, and frail as she lay in the hospital bed, her head on a crisp clean pillowcase, her fair hair fanned out beneath her. An odd feeling stole over him “ a mixture of anger, irritation and something else he couldn’t identify. He was angry she’d been hurt, annoyed he’d not protected her, and ...

“Potter, come on!” Lily pulled at his arm. “Let’s go. I’ll be back tomorrow, Sonia, after breakfast, okay?”

“Mmm, sure,” Sonia mumbled. “Bye, then.”

Pulling away from Lily, James raised his hand to wave goodbye, but Sonia still had her eyes closed.

***


Their friends were all sat together in one corner of the common room when James and Lily returned. Professor Dumbledore had not kept them for long. He’d asked pertinent questions, and promised both of them that the matter would be looked into. He’d also warned them that this was a matter for the professors to look into, and assumptions should not be made. James had stiffened at that, feeling that the headmaster’s warning was meant solely for him, but he’d nodded his agreement.

“Miss Evans,” Professor Dumbledore had said as they were leaving. “I understand you have another week of detention.”

Lily had blushed and nodded mutely.

“Rest assured; you will not be scrubbing cauldrons again, especially not without supervision. Perhaps a detention helping our esteemed librarian will be more suitable.”

“Thank you, sir,” Lily had murmured, still blushing as they’d left the room.

She hadn’t looked at James as they’d walked back to Gryffindor Tower and it had felt awkward between them. Despite the fact that they’d worked together to save Sonia, there was still a cloud that had descended over them.

So, as they walked back into the common room, both were pleased to see the others there.

“Where’s Sonia?” Mary asked, as Lily perched on the cushion next to her.

“Hospital wing,” Lily replied.

“Oh, Merlin. What now?” asked Sirius, adding scathingly. “Did she break a nail? Or splash something in her hair?”

“She got scratched by a Venomous Tentacula spike, Sirius,” James said, his curt tone causing Sirius to raise his eyebrows.

“Is she all right?” Peter asked. He sounded worried, and stood up. “Should we go and see her?”

Lily placed her hand on Peter’s shoulder. “She’s fine and also sleeping. Madam Pomfrey took good care of her.”

Feeling guilty as he watched Peter’s expression, James slumped against the wall next to Martha. “One of the cauldrons had been tampered with. Dumbledore’s warned me off from finding out who did it, but I bet you fifty Galleons it’s got something to do with Mulciber and that crowd.”

Sirius met his eyes. Slowly he removed his arm from Martha and leant forwards. “Not taking your bet, Prongs. It has to be something to do with them. Probably Snivellus’ idea.”

“No,” interrupted Lily. Everyone stared at her, and James saw that although she reddened, she held Sirius’ gaze. “We don’t know what happened. It could have been an accident.” She turned her head and spoke directly to Remus. “You can’t take revenge on anyone.”

“It was them!” exclaimed James angrily. “Who the hell else would want a Gryffindor dead?”

“Madam Pomfrey said the leaves weren’t fatal, James,” Lily protested. “It could well have been a prank that went wrong, like some of the ones you get up to.”

“No,” James muttered, furious that she was making excuses. “Madam Pomfrey said they weren’t as dangerous, Evans. They’re still poisonous.” He tore his eyes away from her, instead focusing on Remus. “The leaf was embedded in the side of the cauldron. Very difficult to see.”

“Sticking Charm, probably,” muttered Remus thoughtfully. “Look, Lily’s right, we can’t actually do anything without proof. Perhaps this time we should leave it to Professor Dumbledore.”

“I know that!” James said through gritted teeth. “I’ve already had to promise him I won’t get involved.” He removed his glasses and rubbed at his eyes. He didn’t want to talk anymore. He was done with discussion; the feeling of impotence was gnawing at his gut.

“I’ve got an essay to finish,” he muttered as he stood up. “I’ll see you back in the dorm.”

***


He had feigned sleep when the others got back to the dorm. Whilst he ruminated on the past week, Sirius and Peter were muttering in low tones about Quidditch. With an inward groan, James remembered that tomorrow they’d be trying out for the team and that Sirius, he was sure, expected to get in. He heard them all yawning, being surprisingly considerate and not waking him up, and he smiled as he, too, began to feel drowsy. He couldn’t worry about Quidditch anymore. As he slipped into that strange world between sleep and wakefulness, his mind drifted to the past week in detention.

He thought Sonia’d been playing games, ignoring him to spark his interest. Perhaps she had, but he didn’t think she’d faked her sadness tonight. She’d looked so pale, so vulnerable, and it had been far too close a call.

And Lily ... He gnawed his lip. What was the point in trying? As Sonia said about Peter “ Lily didn’t think of him in that way, and if he were honest, he was beginning to tire of the chase. It had been fun last year, part of the game, and he could cope with her constant rejection because there was nothing to lose.

But since she’d saved him from the lake and then turned up in Godric’s Hollow, they’d become almost friends. He snorted; arguing in the Three Broomsticks wasn’t exactly what friends did, but she’d shouldered the blame for the Hogsmeade trip, and he’d regained his badge. They got on now, but probably wouldn’t if he continued to pester her.

He’d let it go.

Move on.

After all, Sonia was very pretty.


***


James slept well, despite some very strange dreams involving Sirius flying on his broom in his Animagus form and Peter pelting him with Venomous Tentacula spikes. Reaching across to his bedside cabinet, James picked up his glasses, and watched as the room swam into sharp focus. Then, sitting up in bed, he gazed out of the window. It looked cloudy, yet there was no rain and only a slight breeze “ perfect flying conditions. He grinned to himself. If it weren’t for the fact that he had to run the try-outs himself, he’d be looking forward to today. It was always fun watching the new kids. A lot of them had no idea, and thought it would be easy because they could fly. Only a few of them realised that it took other skills, like co-ordination, concentration and daring to make the team. His eyes flicked to Sirius. On his day, Sirius had all three, but it was rarely his day and he was erratic. He looked over to Peter and sighed.

“He might surprise you,” Remus murmured quietly from his bed by the door.

James didn’t ask how Moony knew what he was thinking. Remus was always the most perceptive of the four of them, and it wasn’t hard to divine what would be on his mind on the morning of the try-outs.

“He’s been practising hard,” Remus persisted. “Padfoot, too.”

“Better than McLaggan?” James asked, and laughed wryly at Remus’ lack of response. “Yeah, I thought not. Moony, I can’t not play Preston. He’s a good Beater. If he turns up today, then I only have one other Beater position. Godric, I’ll be pleased when this is all over.”

“Mmm,” agreed Remus. “You can stop avoiding them both. Be nice having you awake in the dorm instead of pretending you’re asleep.”

James grinned sheepishly. “Has it been that obvious?”

“Could say that,” Remus replied. Getting up, he crossed the room and sat on the edge of James’ bed. “They’ll get over it, Prongs.”

“Are you coming to watch?”

“Of course,” Remus replied,“I’m going to hex you if you don’t pick Mary.”

“Thanks for that!” James grinned at him, feeling much happier. “Fortunately for you, ‘cause I’d hex you so badly back, your girlfriend’s place is pretty much a given.”

Remus got up and limped back to his bed, one of his legs still hurting from the previous week’s transformation.

“Moony,” James called.

“Mmm.” Remus stopped and turned around.

“Are you going to tell Mary about your ... um ...”

“Furry little problem?” Remus suggested. He stayed where he was and stared out of the window. “I should, I know, but I’m not sure it’s worth telling her if it’s not serious between us.” He looked back at James. “Does that make sense?”

“Oh yeah,” breathed James, “complete sense.”

***


Sitting in the stands, near the commentary box, James looked down on the Gryffindors assembled below. It wasn’t a bad turn out. Once he’d weeded through the first-years who always turned up at the beginning of term absolutely sure they’d bend the rules for them, he thought he could run a reasonably good session. It was nearly two o’clock and he’d said they’d have to start on time, but he couldn’t see any sign of Sirius. He smiled, hoping that Sirius had changed his mind. But as he scanned the crowd, he realised with a feeling of foreboding that Martha wasn’t there either.

“He’s messing me about before the season’s even started,” he muttered with gritted teeth.

“What’s that?” asked Remus, who’d joined him in the stands. He looked tired, but happy, and was waving to Mary down below.

“Martha isn’t here yet, and coincidentally neither is Padfoot,” James grumbled. “You got your girlfriend here, why can’t he?”

“Mary knows she’s got to prove herself, I s’pose,” Remus replied. “Anyway, you can stop worrying now, they’re here.”

Scowling at Remus, because he wasn’t worrying (that made him sound like an old woman) rather he was irritated, James turned his head back to the pitch to see Martha running and towing a swaggering Sirius by the hand.

Leaping on his broom, James flew down to the pitch, landing perfectly.

“Right,” he declared, raising his voice slightly so everyone at the back could hear. “Before I start the tryouts, I need to make the usual announcement.” He grinned slightly as he caught sight of Rodney Clearwater. “No first years are allowed on the team. That is NOT negotiable, so -- clear off.”

Rodney and a cheeky-looking girl ran off the pitch but stayed on the sidelines.

“Okay, I’m going to split you into groups, depending on which position you want to try out for. I need to see if you can fly, if you have good co-ordination, but most importantly -- ” his eyes flickered briefly to Preston who was standing right at the front, “-- that you can work with me as a team.” He paused. “You know, because they’ve left, that I’m looking for a Keeper, a Chaser and a Beater, but I want to emphasize that no-one’s place is secure on this team “ except for mine. Everyone will need to try-out. Got that?”

James turned sharply on his heel and, mounting his broom again, hovered above them. From the air, he split them into groups and then ordered them to fly around the pitch. He flew with one group of Chasers, pleased that Mary was flying well and showing all her old flair. Then, as they started tossing a Quaffle between them, he resumed his place with Remus in the stands.

“She’s doing well,” he murmured. “You won’t need to hex me.”

Remus grinned sheepishly. “Any other ideas?”

“Nope,” James replied, wiping a hand over his brow. The others in Mary’s group were not in her league. Telling them to land, he signalled to the other group to start.

“Hold on,” Sirius yelled. “I’ve decided I’d like to try out for Chaser instead.”

“Go ahead,” James replied. He was puzzled at Sirius’ change of mind, but as he flew towards the group, he understood. Lysander Hughes stood in that second group. From what Martha had said, he’d been training hard. And from what Sirius had said, he was after Martha.

As he had done with the first group, James flew alongside them as they soared through the air. He knew Sirius could fly, but hadn’t seen Lysander in action before. He was good. The practise with Martha had obviously paid off, and his broom was a decent one, too.

“You didn’t try out last year,” James called as he flew up to Lysander.

Lysander flashed him a grin, displaying an engaging smile. “Didn’t have a good enough broom, and there was no point with the Chasers on the team.”

James nodded, acknowledging the compliment. He looked around to see where his other Chaser partner from last year was. Duncan Wilson was in the seventh year. A good, solid player, he flew without flair, but was ultra-reliable. James frowned; he hadn’t counted on Duncan not trying out.

After flying a few more laps with them, James discarded the weak flyers and set the others to Quaffle practise. Sirius had flown well, with all his usual dash, and James had no choice but to put him through to the next stage. Smirking as his name was called, Sirius snatched up a Quaffle and threw it straight to Mary. James watched their practise for a while and after sending Lysander and two other boys up to join them, walked up to Preston.


“Is Duncan coming?” he asked.

Preston shook his head. “Seventh year and he’s taking six N.E.W.T.s. His dad told him he needed to quit Quidditch.” He sounded scornful. “Won’t happen to me, Potter, just so you know. You can’t use that as an excuse.”

“Excuse?”

“You’re itching to drop me, aren’t you?”

James faced him, head on. “I will if you can’t work with me,” he admitted, “but you’re a good Beater. If you have a problem with me as captain, McLaggan, then leave now.”

“I’m going nowhere,” Preston muttered.

About to answer, to say he’d be pleased to have him on the team, James was interrupted by the sound of someone shouting. He turned his head and groaned as he saw Martha pointing up in the air, shouting furiously at Sirius.

In the air, Sirius and Lysander were fighting. Or rather, Lysander was reeling back, his nose bleeding after what looked like an elbow in his face.

“What the hell is going on?” shouted James furiously.

“Accident,” muttered Sirius. “We were both going for the same Quaffle, and I got there first.”

“It was my sodding Quaffle!” Lysander yelled as blood dripped onto his shirt. “You barged out of nowhere.”

“It’s QUIDDITCH!” roared Sirius. “If you can’t take that in a game, then you shouldn’t be trying out.”

“You were supposed to be the Keeper, you git!” Lysander turned away from Sirius and looked at James. “Mary had an idea that we divide up and practise with the Quaffle. She threw to me, and then he --” Lysander glared at Sirius, “-- rushed over from the hoops and elbowed me in the face.” He stared at the blood on his hand, looking whiter now. “Merlin, I think I’m going to throw up.”

Taking him by the arm, James escorted Lysander down to the ground and glanced up at the stands to signal to Remus that he needed some help. Then he started to smile. Ordering Lysander to take some time out and deep breaths, he mounted his broom and flew towards the commentary box.

“You’re out of hospital,” he said to Sonia, unable to stop the stupid grin on his face.

She was sitting between Remus and Lily, huddled up in a fur-lined cloak, her hand bandaged, and a slight flush on her cheeks as she smiled up at him.

“Very observant, Potter,” mumbled Lily, but he ignored her.

“Madam Pomfrey said I could come and watch as long as I kept myself warm,” Sonia explained. “How’s it going?”

James shook his head. “Don’t ask. It was all fine until Sirius decided to take out Lysander.”

“Mm, we saw,” Lily commented. “I think you should get back to Lysander, by the way, before Sirius loses his rag completely.”

“Wh...aaaat?” James looked down to the ground. Lysander was no longer alone, but had been joined by some of the Gryffindors from his year. Martha was crouched by his side, which had not escaped Sirius’ notice.


“Oh, bloody hell. What is wrong with him?” cursed James. He flew off, heading towards Sirius, who was swooping down to the ground.

“Padfoot, get back to practise!”

Sirius carried on flying but swivelled his face towards James. “Just checking he’s okay,” he muttered.

“He’s got plenty of people there,” James replied calmly. He sped up and flew slightly in front of Sirius. “Besides, Moony is on his way over to take a look at him.”

Sirius grimaced but didn’t return to the other Chasers. “He doesn’t need Martha then, does he? Little runt!”

Catching his arm, James leant over and whispered, “And Martha doesn’t need you dragging her away. Not just before she tries out, okay?” He stared into Sirius dark grey eyes, imploring him to return to Mary. “Please, Padfoot, just drop it.”

“Okay,” Sirius muttered at last. He hovered in front of James. “He is a twat, though. You know that, don’t you?”

“Yeah, sure,” James replied. “But so’s McLaggan. Doesn’t stop him being a good Beater.”

Sirius held his gaze for a moment and then flew off, but instead of returning to the other Chasers, he flew down to where Peter was. James watched as the pair of them spoke for a while and then Sirius walked away towards the stands.

Flying up to Mary and the others, James told them to take a break whilst they waited for Lysander to recover, and then called for the Beaters to start flying. With a sinking heart, he saw Peter mount his broom and push off. James turned away, unwilling to look at this fiasco on a broomstick and sped back to where Sonia and Lily were still watching.

“Oh!” Sonia exclaimed. “That’s a surprise.”

“What is?” James asked wearily, still not watching the flyers.

“Peter,” Sonia replied.


Thinking she was mocking Peter, James scowled, but noticing that Lily also looked surprised, he twisted his head around to watch. Sonia wasn’t being sarcastic. Whatever had happened in the past week, Peter had made a definite improvement. He wasn’t as skilful as James was, didn’t fly with the Sirius’ flair, but he wasn’t wobbling as he usually did. With great determination, he accelerated past McLaggan and swerved around the corners of the pitch. There weren’t many in the group either, and although Preston was clearly superior in the air, Peter certainly wasn’t worse than anyone else at the try-outs.

“You look surprised,” remarked Sirius sardonically as he sat down next to Lily. “In shock, actually, Prongs.”

“Uh, I am. I had no idea Peter was that good.”

Sirius shrugged, “We’ve been practising all week, and Fabian gave us a few tips.”

James gave him a sidelong look, noting the irritation still on his face. “Do you want to try for Beater as well?”

“Is that your way of telling me I won’t make Chaser?” Sirius asked, his voice abrupt.

“Haven’t made any decisions yet, Padfoot,” James said lightly.

“Glad you’re not letting it all go to your head, Potter,” Sirius muttered darkly.

Catching Lily’s raised eyebrows and Sonia’s pursed lips, James ignored him and called to Preston to fetch the Beater’s Bats and Bludgers. Then, as he approached, he asked them to hit the fast moving Bludgers through the hoops. To Preston, naturally this was easy. His aim was true, but James barely concentrated; he was too nervous for Peter.

“Go on, Wormy,” he mumbled.

Peter connected well with his first shot, but sent the Bludger just wide of the middle hoop. The next Bludger zoomed towards him, and again he connected, but he’d lashed at it too quickly and the Bludger now went very wide. Watching Peter, James appreciated how good McLaggan was. The Bludgers moved fast, but he always seemed to make more time to hit it. Peter was connecting, but had no idea about aiming. He was just blasting it into the sky.

James smiled encouragingly, and his heart lifted a touch when Peter’s third hit went straight through the left hoop. But as the third flyer flew forwards, James realised Peter’s hopes were sunk. Small, not the usual build for a Beater, but there was something about the way the flyer watched the others ... something about their concentration that caught James’ attention.

“What’s your name?”

“Carla Fenwick,” she replied. She smiled slightly. “I think you knew my brother, Benjy.”

James laughed. Of course he remembered Benjy Fenwick. He’d been captain of the team when James had first arrived at Hogwarts and had given James his chance on the team halfway through his second year. Benjy had been a fearsome Beater, so if Carla had the same Quidditch skills, she was a cert.

She did. Unerringly accurate, she possessed the eye to hand co-ordination that Peter did not, as well as a ferocious determination to succeed.

James watched the other flyers out of politeness, but he’d made his mind up. Preston would retain his place and Carla would partner him.

***


It was the end of the session. Four long hours had passed until finally James had been able to see everyone and try a few plays with some of the hopefuls. He looked across to the stands; Sirius and Peter had departed to the changing rooms, but Remus was still there with Sonia and Lily. They’d been joined by Rodney and the cheeky girl from earlier. James ruffled Rodney’s hair, and thanked him for coming along, then asked him to scarper. Rodney grinned and along with the girl, they left.

“Padfoot and Wormy aren’t happy with me, then,” James stated.

“They’ll be fine. Wormy realised he had no chance, especially when that girl turned up. Padfoot ... well ...” Remus pulled a face. “I think he’s annoyed with himself.”

“And Martha’s annoyed with him too,” Lily chipped in.

“Don’t know what she’s upset about,” Sonia said, sighing. She cast a sidelong glance at James. “I’ve always wanted men fighting over me.”

“You had Avery after you last week,” Lily said, giggling. “Don’t know what you’re complaining about.”

“He’s not a man, he’s a Flobberworm.” Sonia shuddered, then shook her head and turned back to James. “Have you decided on your team?”

“Mmm, think so,” James replied. “Moony, d’you remember Benjy Fenwick?”

Remus laughed. “Yeah, you hero-worshipped him, didn’t you?”

“Ha ha, very funny, I don’t think,” retorted James. He leant forward and watched as Carla walked across the pitch to collect her broomstick. Now dressed in Muggle clothes of trousers and a jumper, her slim figure and short dark hair slicked back behind her ears made her look more like a boy than a girl. “That’s his sister, Carla. She was impressive, don’t you think?”

“Very tom-boyish,” Sonia said, with an edge to her voice. She stood up, and winced when she put her hand down on the seat, as she levered herself up. “I think I’ll go back. I’m getting too cold out here. Are you coming, Lily?”

“Not yet. I need to go to the Owlery,” Lily murmured vaguely.


Sonia walked away, towards the wooden steps that led to the pitch. James watched as her shoulders began to sag disconsolately. She was still in pain and yet had turned up to watch the try outs when he knew she had little interest in Quidditch.

“Sonia, wait,” he called. “I’ll walk back with you.”

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Remus raise his eyebrows at Lily, who smiled back knowingly.

“Uh... Prongs, what’s “” he began.

“Nothing, Moony, I just don’t think she should be walking back by herself, not if Avery’s around.” James spoke quickly, aware that it was a feeble-sounding excuse.

He strode towards Sonia, who hadn’t stopped walking and didn’t look around when he approached.

“I don’t need an escort,” she muttered. “There are lots of people going back to the common room.”

James touched her very gently on the arm. “I don’t want to go back there yet,” he whispered. “I wanted to find somewhere quiet where we could ... uh ... talk.”

“About Peter?” she said archly , moving away from him.

She walked quickly down the stairs. James stayed where he was staring after her, wondering what to do. Behind him, he could hear Lily teasing Remus about Mary, and Remus responding with his own remarks about Hogsmeade barmen. That decided him. He bounded down the stairs, two at a time, until he reached Sonia. Catching hold of her arm, he pushed her towards a nook under the stands.

“No, I want to talk about you and me, Son,” he murmured huskily. “What do you think?”


Her lips curved into a smile, and she peeped at him from under her lashes. “Are you asking me out, James Potter?”

He chuckled. “I guess I am ... just ...” He paused momentarily, touching his fingers to his lips and then to hers. “Let’s keep this between us for now, yeah.”

“Ashamed of me?”

“Merlin, no. You’re beautiful, Sonia. I just want to see how things go before I tell the others, all right? I don’t want to upset Peter if we break up after a week. Do you understand?” She didn’t answer, so he leant in closer whispering, “You said the Quaffle was in my hands; I’ve just passed it to you.”

She narrowed her eyes slightly, still saying nothing. James wondered if she’d push him away, if she were angry with him. But instead, she lifted her hands around his neck, and very slowly kissed him on the mouth. James dropped his broom, and slid his arms around her waist. Pushing her up against the wall, he kissed her back, enjoying her closeness.

Then she pulled away, and stared into his eyes. “I won’t remain a secret forever, James, but we’ll play it your way, for now, and take things slowly.”

James pulled her back towards him and started to nuzzle her neck, delighting in her sighs. “Not too slowly, I hope? I’d like some fun.”

“Halloween,” she breathed.

“Huh?”

“I’ll give you until the Halloween Feast to decide, James. If you haven’t told your friends by then, we’ll end it. Until then, we can meet in secret. But ...” She started nibbling his ear, and his senses reeled as he breathed in her scent. “I’m a lot more fun when I’m not worrying about being seen.”

He closed his eyes and started to kiss her again. When she kissed him like that, he wondered just why he was worried about Peter.

Like Remus said, Peter would get over it.
Chapter Endnotes: Sorry about the extremely long wait. I'm consumed by real life and original fiction, but will finish this - even if I become famous - hee hee.