Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lions of Gryffindor by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter is rather jam packed. Hold onto your hats! Thank you, Kara, as always for being amazing.

James eyed Avery warily, gripping his wand tighter when he saw the other Slytherins. As they drew close, he recognised them and wasn’t altogether surprised. Snape looked positively happy to see him cornered there, a sly smirk tugging at one corner of his mouth. And the other? Well, James had thought it only a matter of time before that particular Slytherin Chaser became involved.

–Sonia, stay behind me,” he muttered, –but get your wand out.”

–Already out,” she whispered, her voice shaky. –Who is that other one?”

–Borgin, he’s friends with Sirius’ brother,” James replied. –Okay, I’m going to -”

–Expelliarmus!”

James dodged the Disarming Jinx easily, but as he reacted, twisting around to fire a hex at Snape, he saw his error. Left exposed, Sonia stumbled back against the wall, falling to the floor, as Borgin sent a hex her way.

–Leave her alone!” James yelled. He fired off two spells, one at Avery that glanced off his arm, and one at Borgin, which had more success, sending him reeling. But James was still one fighting three, and unsure if Sonia was hurt.


Take out the strongest, he thought. Then, with barely a flicker, he sent another hex towards Snape, who deflected it easily and sent one straight back. Behind James, Sonia got to her feet, but Borgin, with a smirk, fired off a Stunner and it was only thanks to his laugh alerting her that she managed to slide out of the way. It missed her by a hair’s breadth, making a hole in the wall. Shocked, she dropped her wand and it shot across the floor.

–Shit!” James muttered. –If you get a chance, run. Find Sirius and the others.”

–I can’t leave you,” she whispered.

–And I can’t fight if I’m trying to defend you,” he hissed. Then, pointing his wand to the corner, he tried to Summon her wand.

But Avery had got there first, stamping his foot down before holding it tight in his grasp.

–Not a bad prize, Sluttery,” he mocked, then licked his lips. –Just think of the fun I could have with your wand.”


–Give it back,” she said, trying to sound calm, but everyone could hear the tremor in her voice. She swallowed and when she spoke again, she sounded placatory. –Gus, please return it.”

–No, no, no,” Avery replied. –That wouldn’t be a good idea at all, not after the last time.” He smiled nastily at James. –Did this cow tell you, Potter? All I wanted was a kiss. From what Bennett says, that’s the very least she’ll give out. Isn’t that right, darling?”

James stood stock still, staring intently, but all the while wondering what was about to happen. He heard Sonia gasp when Avery mentioned Julius, but he didn’t have time to ponder her reaction now. If he shot something at Avery, the others would hex him. If he cast a Shield Charm, it would protect them, but Sonia would lose her wand. And from the way Avery was leering at her, James had no doubt he’d take his revenge - nastily.

But he couldn’t do nothing.

With a sudden surge, James rattled off two spells; one, a Jelly-Legs Jinx, hit Borgin with satisfying speed, the second whipped across Avery’s cheek, causing him to stagger backwards. Sonia darted forwards to wrench both wands from his grasp, whilst James, silently cheering her on, fired his last chance at Snape.

The jinx didn’t hit its mark, and Snape, dodging, started to laugh scornfully.

–Hex the bastard!” Avery yelled, as he tried to recover, –and get the bitch as well!”

But Snape didn’t listen. Instead of a hex, he murmured, almost complacently, –Accio Glasses!”


Before he could react, James’ glasses left his face and flew into Snape’s hand. –Want to try again, Potter?” he mocked, dangling them high above his head. –Come on, I’m an easy target.”

But everything was a blur, and with Snape whirring around, and Avery grabbing Sonia, James had no idea who he was aiming at. He gripped his wand, knowing it was his only hope. But all he could see were the flash of spells, the colours flicking towards him, and whilst he managed to spin away from two of them, one hit him on the back, sending him hurtling forwards. It proved a blessing; he landed on Snape, and both crashed to the ground.

–I don’t need glasses when you’re this close, Snivellus!” he spat, and clenching his fist, he pounded it into Snape’s face.

He heard Sonia’s scream before he felt the hex to his side, and knew it had come from Borgin. The searing pain leeched into him, stabbing upwards and radiating towards his spine. Shuddering to the floor, writhing, James waited for the next blow to land.

–Stop this, please,” Sonia beseeched Avery. Through the haze, James could see her tugging on his arm. –Please, Gus, don’t hurt him. We’ll go back to Gryffindor, and say nothing. Please ...”

–I’ll think about it, Slattery, but what will you do for me?”

–Come on!” Snape rapped. –We’ve got Potter’s wand and her wand. What more do we need?”

Avery laughed. –You never quite get it, do you, Snape? This was about more than wands. Slattery owes me a kiss - at the very least.”

–Sonia, don’t -” gasped James, but the corridor was spinning far too quickly for him to be able to do anything other than make a token protest.

–Shut up, Potter,” Avery snarled. –Your tart might just find out what she’s missing.”

Blood roared through his ears, fury surging, but James was powerless. Borgin wrenched him upwards to kneeling, forcing him to face Avery. He saw, although it was a mass of shapes, Sonia step close to Avery, saw Avery grasp her hair and lower his mouth to her face. He waited to hear the sounds of Sonia protesting, or some reaction of disgust, but instead she remained silent and almost still, allowing his hand to travel to her chest.

He turned away, wrestling out of Borgin’s grasp.

Then there was a thump and an agonised cry. James jerked his head back to the scene to see Sonia still standing and Avery slumped on the floor. In her hands, she held both wands, one trained on Snape and one on Borgin.

–Let James go,” she ordered Borgin.

–She’s useless,” Snape shouted, –and can’t aim straight to save her life.”

–You really want to risk that, Borgin?” she called, and to emphasise her point, and without warning, she shouted, –Locomotor!” causing a large still life painting to crash down onto Snape’s head.

Borgin gaped, then seeing both his comrades down, let go of James and backed away down the corridor.

Taking a breath, Sonia bent down to retrieve James’ glasses and wand from the barely-stirring Snape. She seemed calm, not shaking as she helped James up and led him away from the scene.

He put on his glasses, grimacing as everything became much clearer. Sonia’s lips looked puffy and her robe was torn where a hex - or maybe Avery’s hands - had ripped away the sleeve. –Do you need to see Pomfrey?”

–I’m not hurt,” she murmured. –You look worse than me.”

He shrugged and stopped himself wincing. –Had worse on the Quidditch pitch,” he mumbled.

As they turned the corner, Sonia started to shake, so he placed his arm across her shoulders, guiding her back to Gryffindor Tower. Apart from a few stragglers hurrying along to dinner, there was no one about. James’ stomach started to rumble, but he carried on walking back to the Tower.

As they got to the common room door, he faltered and released Sonia. He stepped back from her and studied the floor carefully.

–Sorry,” he muttered again.

–What for?” she asked. –You didn’t hex me.”

–Might as well have done. I was bloody useless. Are you okay?”

Her voice sounded shaky now. She sniffed and tried to laugh, but it all became too much and he heard her gulping back a sob.

–He kissed you,” James muttered.

–Oh, that.” Sonia took a breath and flashed him a watery smile. –It’s not important.”

–Yeah, you don’t seem that upset.” Seeing her flinch, James could have bitten his tongue off as soon as he’d said it. He reached out but she took a step away.

–Kissing Gus Avery was revolting, and if you seriously think I enjoyed it -” She broke off and batted away his hand.

–Son, I’m sorry,” he protested. –I didn’t mean-”

–No, you’re like all the others and just assume that because it’s me, I’ll snog anyone and won’t care about it.”

–That’s not what I meant at all!” he protested, but Sonia had made it to the door, cried out the password, and dashed into the common room before he could finish. He stumbled after her, but the only thing he could see was the hem of her robe as she ran up the stairs towards her dormitory.

He thought about chasing her, wondered if she’d stop if he screamed out her name, but decided against it. He was tired, battered and bruised and wanted nothing more than his bed, and time to compose himself, before the others got back.

In the bathroom, he splashed his face with water, cleaning the blood from his lips and swilling out his mouth. He didn’t look too bad; certainly, there were no visible marks on his face, but his side ached and he wondered if Borgin had broken a rib with the hex.

–Hell, we’ve got the match next Saturday,” he muttered and gingerly lifted up his robe. There was a red hex mark, scorching across his waist. It smarted when he laid his fingers across it, but apart from an initial wince, he thought it superficial.


He limped back to his dorm, settling down on his bed and stared open-eyed at the curtains.

Borgin had fired a Stunner at Sonia. That wasn’t a joke or a teasing jinx. Avery’s malevolence and Snape’s hatred he could cope with. Hell, he deserved their antagonism most of the time and gloried that he could provoke them. He took what they fired at him, but Sonia was different. And he’d been powerless to stop it. It hadn’t been better magic that had defeated him, but something simple. A Summoning Charm exposing James’ weakness for everyone to see.

Sonia had saved him. She’d worked her way out of it, and bested both Avery and Snape.


Levering himself off the bed, James knew he had to find her. He needed to apologise, and something else was bothering him. Something in the bitter words she’d flung at him connected with Avery’s insults.

He’d got to the bottom of the stairs leading to the common room when he saw her sitting by the fire with Phyllida. Neither were talking, both staring at the flames, sipping tea, whilst a trail of first and second years marched back from dinner.

–Hi,” he murmured, and raised his hand.

Sonia looked away, but Phyllida glared at him. –What do you want?”

–To talk to Sonia,” he replied.

–Not much to say, is there?” Sonia murmured, still not facing him.

–Yeah there is,” he said, and crouched down by her side. –I was a prat and you were brilliant.” He glanced at Phyllida and smiled. –Has she told you what she did?”

Phyllida shook her head. –Only told me that there was a fight with the Slytherins and then you two argued.”

–Your mate disarmed Avery when she was wandless, and then knocked out Snivelly.” He grinned. –Very impressive.”

Phyllida raised her eyebrows. –And where were you, then?”

–Uh, well I was fighting the other seven gits that turned up,” he joked. Then he pulled his face straight. –I’d been disarmed, too.”

–You’re okay, though,” Phyllida remarked.

He nodded but didn’t elaborate as he placed one hand on Sonia’s arm. –Can we talk somewhere else? I want to apologise properly.”

–I’m not leaving Gryffindor,” she said, shivering. –But I suppose we can talk in your dorm. I doubt it’ll make a difference to my reputation, will it?”


Seeing Phyllida flash her a worried look, James smiled ruefully. –Well, I’d break into your room, but I’m guessing the wards still work and I’ll end up worse than Avery did after messing with you.”

She consented and allowed him to guide her up the stairs, but there was a bleakness in her expression, and he couldn’t quite fathom why.

–Um, take a pew,” he muttered, gesturing to the scruffy armchair by the fire. She shook her head, instead walking over to the window seat and stared across the grounds. James joined her, sitting opposite, his knee nudging hers. –I’m sorry.”

–You said,” she replied. –And there’s really nothing to apologise for, unless you asked Avery to attack us.”

–I mean for suggesting you weren’t upset. That wasn’t what I meant, but it came out wrong.”

–I hated it, you know,” she muttered, –but I knew it was the only way to get close enough to knee him where it hurts. And it was better than seeing you hexed and bleeding on the floor.”

–Smart move,” he replied, then repeated his apology.

–I don’t know why you keep apologising. It wasn’t your fault. You did give Avery the chance to walk away.”

–Next time I think I’ll hex him before he opens his mouth.” He edged closer, pleased when she didn’t move away and took one of her hands in his. –I was embarrassed,” he admitted, –about the whole glasses thing.”

–You landed a glorious punch on Snivelly,” she said, half-smiling, and caressed his bruised knuckles with her thumb. –And none of this would have happened if I hadn’t been so stupid as to drop my wand.”

–Perhaps we should both use Spello-tape,” he said, and tried a grin on her. –Might flatten my hair down a bit.”

She giggled, and slid closer. –You wouldn’t be James Potter with tidy hair.”


He touched her cheek with his hand, his fingers tracing the lips, which were still slightly puffy. –Did he hurt you?”

Casting her eyes down, Sonia turned her face away and stared at the carpet. –He pressed so hard, I could feel his teeth.”

There was a silence. He heard her breathing become more rapid, and pulled her towards him. –If I kiss you, is it going to hurt?”

–Hope not,” she whispered.


A while later, lying on top of his bed, James ran his hand down her side to rest on her waist. She was calm now, resting in his arms, kissing and letting him kiss her, all tears gone. But something was nagging at him.

–Can I ask you something?” he muttered, half-hoping she wouldn’t hear.

–Sounds serious,” she replied, and stopped stroking his arm.

–It’s about Bennett,” he started to say, then paused. –It’s okay, you don’t have to tell me, it’s only that Avery mentioned him, and ... uh ... Phyll said -”

–Phyll said what?” Her voice sharp.

–Just that he wasn’t a nice bloke, I suppose. She was warning me not to mess you around.”

–Julius is not nice, at all,” she said and sighed. –I thought he was fun to begin with, and Phyll and I had a laugh double-dating. Then they found out about that stupid trick last year, and ... Merlin ... he was so angry! I mean, they didn’t have to stay out with us, and it wasn’t really our fault they got caught and we didn’t.”

–So he finished with you ‘cause of that.” James felt like laughing. It all seemed so melodramatic. Julius was a prat, with a serious sense of humour failure, but hardly ‘evil’ as Phyll had implied.

–No, he finished with me because I wouldn’t ... uh ...” She blushed but carried on staring at James, then took a breath. –He wanted to go all the way, and I said no. He ... um ... tried to persuade me, by ... uh ... well, he said he’d tell everyone we’d done it anyway, so I might as well sleep with him. So then, when he tried it on again a bit more forcefully, I had to be a bit ... um ... forceful back.”


–Forceful?” he muttered into her hair.

–Let’s just say that Gus Avery isn’t the first boy I’ve kneed in the crotch.”

–Ah, I see.” Feeling uncomfortable, James shifted away from her, but Sonia smiled at him and snuggled closer.

–I feel safe with you,” she murmured.

–I didn’t help much tonight,” he mumbled. –But ... uh ... I wouldn’t try and make you do something you didn’t want to do.”

–I know,” she said simply, and ran her fingers through his hair and down the back of his neck.

James pulled her right up to him, kissing her softly on the lips. –Shall we go and get a late dinner? Show those gits we’re not beaten?”

–I’d rather stay here,” she said, –but it’s probably better if I’m not alone with you when the others get back.” As she pulled herself away from him, sitting on the edge of the bed and patting her hair back into place, she glanced over her shoulder at him. –Is it odd for you knowing I went out with Sirius?”

–A bit, I s’pose, but only at first,” he muttered, then stretched out his hand, touching the soft down of her cheek. –But he’s going out with Martha, so he’s not fussed. Could ask you the same thing about Phyll.”

She laughed ruefully. –Well, I’ve had to try and forget some of the things she told us when you two were together.” She started to smile and turned back to him. –I don’t expect Sirius has been exactly complimentary.”

James shrugged. –He doesn’t say much,” he replied.

–Liar,” she said, but she was still smiling, and started giggling when he pulled her back to the bed. –It’s okay, you know. I’m just pleased his opinion hasn’t put you off.”

He frowned at her. –What’s Phyll said about me that you have to forget?”

–Oh, nothing,” she said, a gurgling laugh emerging from her lips. –Although the words ‘giant squid’ and ‘tentacles’ might have been mentioned in the same sentence.” Then, as she raised her hands to his neck, she whispered, –I’m not complaining.”

He kissed her again, lying sideways across her, but keeping his hands very still.

–I said I wasn’t complaining,” she whispered and moved his hand to her waist, letting her own rest on his hip. James flinched, and startled, she removed her hand. –James, please go and see Madam Pomfrey.”

He shook his head. –Quidditch on Saturday. I’m not missing the game. Borgin has it coming.”


***


He didn’t have to be at the changing rooms so early, and the team weren’t due there for another hour, but James sat outside on the bench enjoying the last few days of the Indian Summer they were experiencing at Hogwarts. He’d called the team in for practise every night, but was now worried he was over-training them. McLaggen had certainly complained on Thursday, and although Martha had said nothing, he’d caught her rolling her eyes at Sirius.

Shifting slightly, he winced as his Quidditch robe rubbed against his skin. He knew now that the hex fired by Borgin had not left a superficial wound, but hadn’t dared go along to the hospital wing, knowing Madam Pomfrey was quite within her rights to invalid him out of the game. He tapped his pocket, feeling for the salve he was planning to use just before they stepped onto the pitch. Remus told him it would last about an hour, and after that, the pain would kick back in. He stretched, rolling his shoulders in an attempt to ease the tension, and then exhaled.

–Suffering from nerves, are you, Potter?”

–Adrenaline,” James replied, looking up at Professor Prewett. –Keeps me on my toes. You’re a bit early for the match, sir.”

–Fancied a walk and I always loved Quidditch days. Nothing like that feeling when you take to the air before the match begins.”

As James stood up, eager to stretch his legs, he thought he saw a figure in the distance. He craned his neck over the professor’s shoulder, narrowing his eyes, but if there had been someone there, they’d slipped into the forest and were gone now.


–Something bothering you?” Professor Prewett asked mildly.

James peered again at the trees, but could see nothing, and shook his head. He was paranoid - convinced every shadow was a Slytherin trying to attack. –Nope, it’s okay, sir. Unless ... um, sir, I keep having a problem with my glasses - they slip off sometimes and it’s not really good for ... uh ... my game, if I’m trying to hold them in place.”

The professor eyed him meditatively, perhaps not altogether believing the story, and his gaze drifted to James’ waist, which James was unconsciously rubbing with one hand.

–You could stick them on permanently,” he said seriously, then he grinned. –Not cool though. Tell me, Potter. Is this because they keep falling off, or has someone taken them?”

–Uh.” James felt his cheeks flood with colour and stared at the ground.

–I found Snape and Avery in the corridor on the fifth floor last week. Neither said a word, so I assume it wasn’t a one-sided attack, and Madam Pomfrey says she hasn’t seen anyone seeking treatment, either. But there were some long blonde hairs in Avery’s hand and I’ve seen you walking around Hogwarts with Miss Slattery.”

–They started it,” James muttered mutinously.

–You should have reported it!” the professor replied sternly. His tone softened. –I understand why you didn’t. You think it makes you look weak - it doesn’t; it just means you’re being responsib-”

–Snape Summoned my glasses, all right!” James snapped. –I couldn’t see a bloody thing, and he knows that. So how am I supposed to defend myself or anyone else when he can stop me so easily? ”

–Is that your only problem, Potter?”

–It’s my most pressing one, yes,” James replied, ignoring the stabbing pain in his side. –I can’t fly straight if my glasses are taken.”

The professor smiled. –Then as a former Gryffindor I feel it’s my duty to give you a little help. Take your glasses off.”

James complied and held them out to Professor Prewett, but he shook his head.

–There’s an Anti-Summoning Charm you can use, but you have to cast it.”

–Oh, cool. What’s the incantation?”

–It’s Accio-Contrato,” the professor replied. –Most wizards don’t bother with it because Accio is so useful and they hate losing things. Casting this will mean you can’t Summon them yourself, but neither can anyone else. It also wears off after a while, so don’t get complacent and think it’ll work permanently.”

–What’s the wand movement?”James asked.

The professor pulled out his own wand, then circled the glasses three times with his wand tip. –Make sure you speak the incantation while waving your wand in a clockwise direction.”

Concentrating hard, James followed the instructions, hesitating only when he needed to speak. –Accio-Contrato!” he murmured, and watched intensely as a wispy grey thread appeared from his wand tip and wrapped around his glasses, making them shimmer. Then, placing the glasses on the bench, James stood up, took several steps back and tried to Summon them.

They didn’t move. James grinned. –Sir, that is so cool. Thank you.”

Standing up, Professor Prewett started to walk away, pausing only to clap James on the shoulder. –I’ll leave you to ponder your team talk. Just make sure you get them fired up. And one last thing, Potter,” James stared at him, stung by the warning note in his voice, –Your team are looking for leadership - not revenge.”


In the air, in the maelstrom of the match, James didn’t heed the professor’s words, especially as it soon became apparent that the Slytherins were in this game to cause as much harm as they could. They were an all-male team, and, apart from Regulus, they were big, strong, and not averse to using that to their advantage. It didn’t help that Madam Hooch had been taken ill, and that the last minute replacement of Professor Barwick was a disaster. The Divination professor could fly, but had no real idea about the rules and kept getting distracted by the Seekers as they searched for the Snitch. It was only because Mary and Lysander were swift flyers that they escaped serious injury, as the Slytherins decided not to trust to Bludgers alone and Blatched every time the referee had his back turned. Unfortunately, it also meant they were marked out of the game and had precious few opportunities to score.

In his team talk, James had told Preston and Carla to focus on the Chasers. He hadn’t been specific, largely because he wanted to deal with Borgin himself, and had elected to hound him through the game. But he’d proved elusive and their Beaters were using every opportunity to hurl the Bludgers in James’ direction.

–Potter, we need to get a grip on this game!” yelled Preston, as Borgin sent a Quaffle through the hoops, making the score a pitiful twenty-ten to the Slytherins. –This is messy.”

–Early days,” said James through gritted teeth. –Keep whacking those Bludgers at them.”

–At who?” shouted Carla. –You said the Chasers, but we have to protect Martha, as well.”

–She’s fi- Oh, shit!” James gasped as he saw a Bludger hit Martha’s broom, splitting the handle and causing her to spiral downwards. But she steadied herself, and continued to scan the skies.

James rapidly assessed the situation. The Slytherins were clearly out to cause as much damage as possible. He wasn’t even sure they were bothered about the game, as Regulus seemed intent on causing injury, too. Gryffindor’s best chance lay with the Chasers’ speed and Martha’s skill.

–Carla, protect Martha,” he ordered. –Preston, take out their Beaters, and anyone else.”

–And you, Potter? What are you going to do?”

–Unsettle the bastards,” he snarled, and turning on his broom, he streaked across the pitch towards Borgin, swooping around him in an attempt to make him drop the Quaffle.

–Fancy your chances, do you, Borgin?”

–Your girlfriend can’t save you now, Potter,” Borgin spat.

James hid a grimace. –And up here, you can’t hide behind Avery, so I think it’s time I taught you a lesson - one on one.”

Borgin licked his lips, still trying to find a way past James, his eyes flicking from side to side. With the Quaffle in his hand, he was searching for a teammate, but to James’ relief, Lysander was now marking Montague, and Preston had diverted a Bludger towards the usually benign Greengrass. Out of the corner of his eye, James saw Mary escape and flick underneath him. That decided him. With no thought for his safety, James flew directly at Borgin, yelling his fury. Borgin swerved away, jerking his broom around and in his panic, the Quaffle slid from his hands. Mary scooped it up and jinked her way through the sky, tearing past a Slytherin Beater and towards the hoops.

James followed, scooting towards her in case she needed support. His side was aching now, the nerve endings of his skin tingling painfully, and he knew he’d gone way past the hour where the salve would work. And as he cheered, raising his hands in a clenched salute as Mary scored, he felt the wound tear open again.

–Come on, James, we can do this!” screamed Mary. Then she slowed and he saw the expression on her face change from one of elation to horror.

She became a blur, all James could see, all he could feel, was the rush of air past his ears as he lurched sideways. Mary clutched at him, signalling to Professor Barwick, who flew directly to him.

–What’s wrong, Potter?” she asked.

–Bludger got me,” he lied. –I’ll be fine. Let me call a time out.”

As Professor Barwick nodded and set the whistle to his lips, a roar erupted from the crowd. James looked up into the sky and grinned. Martha, one hand held aloft, looking flushed and exhausted, but incredibly pleased, had done her job. –That’s my girl,” he crowed, and then slumped to the side.

–Potter, do you need medical attention?” asked Professor Barwick.


Gripping onto his broom shaft and trying not to groan. James focussed on the referee. If it had been Madam Hooch in front of him, then he wouldn’t have got away with it, but Barwick was clueless.

–I need to celebrate with my team, sir,” he said, forcing a light tone in his voice. But as Barwick nodded and then flew off to commiserate with the Slytherin captain, he turned to Mary, whispering, –Guide me to the ground, will you? Just make it look as if we’re celebrating, yeah.”

Nodding, Mary placed her hand under his shoulders, and fixed a smile on her face. James let out a whoop and punched the air, but he could feel blood now leeching into his robes, and his forehead was clammy. Carefully, but with some speed, they descended to the ground, James holding Mary in a clinch when they landed. He could feel his legs buckling, and leaned on her heavily.

–Oy, that’s my girlfriend!” Remus chided. He had a smile on his face as he ran towards them, but it faltered when he caught sight of James. –This isn’t a normal reaction to a hex. You need to see Madam Pomfrey.”

–What, and let Borgin know he hurt me?” James retorted. He took a breath, then glared at Remus. –Cast a Healing Charm around me. I need just enough time to make this look good, then you can take me back to the dorm.”

Reluctantly, Remus twitched his wand and cast the Healing Charm non-verbally. James felt his side go numb and released a pent up breath. –Thank you.” he muttered, then started to smile as Sonia ran towards him.

–You won! You won!” she squealed.

–Yeah,” he murmured and held out his arms to her. They had won, but it hadn’t been down to him. Martha had won the match for Gryffindor, and he now had a whole lot more to prove.
Chapter Endnotes: reviewwwwwwww - pleeeasssseeee. It does encourage me - promise!