Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just For Fun by PeaceLovePotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Mapoi (Mudlood_and_Proud_of_it) for betaing!

Disclaimer: I own nothing, JKR owns everything (Harry Potter related, that is)



Gin is an Alcoholic Muggle Drink

“Hermione,” Ginny whined, sticking out her bottom lip. Hermione continued reading, her eyes swiftly scanning the page. Ginny sighed. She looked around the room she shared with Hermione. It was annoyingly comforting, her stupid Quidditch posters, and her old ratty bed. She decorated her room like this when she was ten and it was mocking her now.

You’re sixteen years old and sitting at home on a Friday night, it called out to her. It was the summer before her sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She stared back at Hermione. This could be Hermione’s last chance to have fun before she had to go back to school. How could she pass that up? She would be starting her seventh year at Hogwarts come September. Ginny actually wasn’t sure if Hermione would be going back at all. She had a feeling Hermione, Ron and Harry”her unbelievably gorgeous, sweet and noble ex-boyfriend”would be traveling this year doing something to help defeat Lord Voldemort. That didn’t make much sense on Hermione’s part; you’d think she’d want to have fun before hunting a dark wizard.

“Hermione, please can we do something fun?” Ginny asked sitting down beside her.

“Like what?” inquired Hermione, still reading.

“Like getting out of this bloody house! I’ve been cooped up here all summer,” Ginny cried, forcing her eyes to grow bigger. She blinked a couple of times, making them gloss over with tears. Ginny had been the master of fake crying ever since she realized it could get her what she wanted. It might’ve sounded like manipulating, but she only used her powers for good. Hermione looked up reluctantly.

“Put those puppy dog eyes away,” Hermione said a smile playing on her lips.

“Hmph!” Ginny crossed her arms over her chest.

“You know,” Hermione started, “it wouldn’t be safe anyway. What with Death Eaters running around! Your mum would never go for it!”

“If I could convince her it’s safe then you’d go?”

“Sure,” Hermione said rolling her eyes at thought of Ginny asking her mother to go out partying while a wizard’s war is going on. She went back to her book, as Ginny jumped off the bed, and bounded towards the door.

Once she was out of the room, she pranced up a couple of flights of stairs before politely knocking on the door in front of her.

“Come in!” Ron called. Ginny took a deep breath and stepped inside.

She smiled, taking in the sight in front of her. Ron lay sprawled across his bed, staring up at the ceiling. Harry sat on the floor with his arms around his knees. Next to him laid his Hogwarts letter, unopened. He gazed up at her. Feeling a blush creep onto her cheeks she smiled and turned around to shut the door. Then she walked across the room to sit cross-legged on Harry’s bed.

“Can we help you?” Ron asked, turning towards her.

“Hopefully, you can!” Ginny exclaimed, scooting to the head of the bed so she could lean against the wall.

“You got to give us more than that, Gin,” said Ron.

“I told you my name’s Ginny, not some alcoholic Muggle drink!”

Ron rolled his eyes. Harry turned towards her, leaning on his hands, and knitted his eyebrows, puzzled. Merlin, he’s cute when he’s confused, Ginny thought tearing her eyes away from him.

“So, I’ve been thinking, we should go out tonight! Have some fun, you know, we are teenagers,” she said now looking back at Ron.

“All right, but what do you need help with?” he asked, sitting up.

“Convincing Mum,” Ginny stated plainly.

“We probably shouldn’t go. It’s not safe out there,” Harry said. Ginny turned towards him, focusing all her energy in not getting lost in his emerald green eyes.

“You sound like Hermione,” Ginny said with a tinge of disappointment. She looked down at her shoes.

“Maybe if we go to Muggle London…” Harry trailed off. Ginny smiled looking back at him.

“That’s a great idea! You-Know-Who wouldn’t look for wizards there!” Ginny hopped off the bed and ran to the door.

“Wait, Ginny, what are we doing tonight?” Ron asked twisting around to face her. Ginny creased her brow in thought. Where could they go in Muggle London that their Mum wouldn’t mind, but would be fun? Or…

“Well we could go to a club, but use a cover up story with Mum. Like we could say we’re going to…Oh I have no idea where Muggles go! Harry?”

“What?” he asked, confused. Ginny rolled her eyes, trying not to think about how helplessly cute he looked when he had no idea what she was talking about. But then, he looked cute all the time.

“You do realize you thought you were a Muggle for eleven years,” she explained, feigning exasperation.

“You’re right, it’s just I tend to repress memories that have to do with the Dursleys. But,” Harry added seeing Ginny’s face fall, “maybe Hermione and I can think of something that’ll work. Just for the record, I don’t think we should lie to your mum.”

“Well it’s a good thing you don’t have to sell her the story. And to clear your conscience, you’re seventeen; you should be doing stuff like this. You can’t be heroic all the time!” she called, walking out the door.

Ginny ran down a couple flights of stairs, and into her room. She yanked Hermione by the arm, and pulled her upstairs, ignoring her friend’s yells to let go. Ginny opened the door to the boy’s room and yanked Hermione in behind her before shutting the door.

“Go,” Ginny practically threw Hermione on the floor next to Harry, “ahead!” Hermione made a soft “Oomph” as she hit the floor, followed by a death glare at Ginny. “Sorry,” Ginny said just realizing she flung her best friend on a hard wooden floor. Hermione rubbed her hip gingerly.

“You all right?” Ron asked swiftly moving towards Hermione, squatting down beside her. Ginny and Harry both rolled there eyes at each other.

“I would be if someone could tell me why Ginny’s acting completely mental!” she said watching Ginny bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet.

“I’m just excited! I haven’t been out in like,” Ginny bit her lip and looked upward as she counted in her head, “two years!” Hermione rolled her eyes.

“What a shame, poor Ginny!” Hermione said sardonically. Ginny figured her unusually sarcastic tone was because her hip was still sore, and Ginny did pull her out of her bed while she was reading (which is not a smart thing to do when it comes to Hermione).

“Look,” Ginny started moving to sit on her knees in front of Hermione, “I didn’t mean for it to come out so…shallow. I just want to have fun…well, not that I’m not having fun,” she added quickly. Ginny took a deep breath. Everyone was staring at her. Hermione was biting her lip probably wondering where Ginny was going with her little speech. Ron moved from squatting into a more comfortable position leaning on his hands, with his eyebrows pointing down a little. Harry was watching carefully, but it looked like he was fighting a smile because the corners of his lips kept twitching. “I really want to do something wild. Look at us! All we do is fight the Dark Arts, which isn’t bad, and it is fun, but we never go out and party all night long.”

“Wild? You want to something wild during a war?” Hermione asked. Ginny was all prepared to fight back but Harry cut in.

“It’ll be safe, and we could use a little relaxing time,” Harry pointed out calmly. Hermione’s eyes narrowed slightly.

“And how will it be safe?” Hermione asked astonished that Ginny got Harry to go along with this. Ron sighed.

“Why do you think Ginny dragged you in for? Hermione, the Queen of Worrying, can always make a plan safe,” Ron said. Hermione slowly turned her death glare over to Ron. It softened a little and turned into a look of deep thought.

“So, what’s the plan?” she asked switching her narrowed eyes back to Ginny. Ginny smiled.

“Hermione, you’re the best!” she exclaimed.

“”””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

“Just let me do the explaining, alright? And remember to stick to the script,” Ginny warned under her breath as they descended the steps into the kitchen. “Mum?”

Mrs. Weasley turned towards them, levitating a cutting board, carrots and celery onto the table. Mr. Weasley peeked up from behind the Daily Prophet curiously.

“Yes, dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked while jabbing her wand in the air causing a knife to neatly chop the carrots.

“Hermione got a letter from her mum and dad this mourning,” Ginny explained carefully.

“Oh, no! Is everyone all right?” she asked looking up from her chopping straight to Hermione.

“No, no, everyone’s…fine,” Hermione squeaked nervously. Ginny spun around and gave her a “stop being so guilty” look, then turned to face her mother.

“So, Hermione’s dad told her about this…um…” Ginny said acting clueless.

“Amusement park,” Harry finished. “It’s this Muggle place, where you go on rides.”

“Rides?” Mr. Weasley asked excitedly, putting down the paper.

“Yeah, they’re these carts that pull you really fast on a track, and Hermione said there’s this big wheel where you sit down on a little seat, and it pulls you around in a circle,” answered Ron, moving his finger in a circular motion while nodding excitedly. Ginny was surprised at what a good actor her brother was.

“Really? Now how can”?” Mr. Weasley started.

“Don’t tell me you want to go to this Muggle death trap?” Mrs. Weasley asked, now poking the air furiously with her wand so the cutting board had cracks from the fiercely slicing knife.

“Oh, no! It’s really safe! I’ve been there loads of times!” Hermione swallowed hard. Ginny knew Hermione hated lying, but she wasn’t half bad at it.

“And we were thinking,” Ginny paused. Mum was freaking out already and this wasn’t the worst of it, “we could stay in Diagon Alley with Fred and George for tonight. I can’t Apparate, so we have to walk, and it’s much closer.”

“So you lot want to stay at the joke shop over night then go to Muggle London for some completely lethal ride?” asked Mrs. Weasley. “I will not””

“Now Molly, I think this is a rather…good idea,” Mr. Weasley cut in. “It will be very educational for them, and I would love some pictures!”

Mrs. Weasley gave threw stern look towards her husband.

“It won’t be safe!” she exclaimed. Ginny felt Hermione squirm behind her.

“Mum, it will! It’s Muggle London!” Ginny yowled.

“I don’t care if it’s Flobberworm London, you’re not leaving this house!” Mrs. Weasley yelled.

“Molly”” Mr. Weasley started.

“No Arthur! They are not going out!” she shrieked, jabbing her wand rather violently at the celery.

“There would be three wizards of age to protect Ginny if something happened,” Mr. Weasley reasoned.

“First of all, nothing is going to happen! And second, I can take care of myself!” Ginny shouted.

“But Gin, you’re not of age. We’ll take care of you,” Harry whispered leaning in towards her.

“Don’t worry Hair! I’ll be fine,” she spat furiously.

“Sorry, I meant Ginny,” he added before backing away from her. Ginny exhaled, trying to get rid of some of her anger. Yelling at her mum would not help.

“Mum, please?” she asked softly, releasing the power of her puppy dog eyes.

“No! Absolutely not!”

“Why don’t you lot wait upstairs,” Mr. Weasley muttered getting up from his chair and walking towards them. He herded them out of the kitchen. “I’ll try and convince her,” he added in an undertone closing the door.

“Oh, I feel horrid!” Hermione said as they climbed the stairs.

“Don’t worry that’s just guilt, it’ll pass,” said Ron jokingly.

“Well,” Harry started, “what now?”

“We wait,” Ginny stated simply.

“”””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

After much yelling from downstairs, Mr. Weasley called them down. Nervously, with Ginny in the lead, they walked into the kitchen.

“All right, we have came up with a compromise,” Mr. Weasley said. A compromise couldn’t be bad, Ginny thought optimistically.

“So, what is it?” she asked carefully.

“You can go to this…Amuse Mint Park, but one of you three,” Mrs. Weasley said pointing to Harry, Ron and Hermione, “must Apparate every hour to the Burrow, so we know you’re okay. And if you miss even one “visit” then we’re coming to take you home. Don’t worry we will find you!” Ginny tried listening with an open mind. I suppose it could be worse.

“All right, I guess that sounds fair,” Ginny said. “So can we go send an owl to Fred and George? And then we’ll get ready?”

Mrs. Weasley looked irate. She apparently thought once they heard the condition they’d back out.

“That sounds great!” piped Mr. Weasley when Mrs. Weasley just stood there scowling. Before her Mum could change her mind, Ginny practically pushed the others out the door and ran upstairs into the boy’s room.

“I can’t believe we just got away with that,” Ron whispered. They just stood there letting their amazingly good luck sink in.

“We should write to Fred and George,” Harry said, finding parchment and a quill.

“What are we going to say to them? That we’re lying to their Mum, and we expect them to cover for us?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah,” Ginny answered like it was obvious. “The twins are always saying that you should lighten up a bit, and well, this’ll make you like a feather.”

“They think I need to lighten up? Well they could use some rocks!” Hermione exclaimed.

“Will you two stop with the metaphors?” Ron said annoyed. “Now let’s finish this letter so we can get out of here!”

“No problem, it’s already done,” said Harry, blowing on the paper. Ginny noticed how carefully he blew, and how his mouth rounded into an “o” shape, which made his eyebrows rise. She shook her head quickly getting rid of those thoughts.

“Let me see.” Ginny took the parchment, making sure not to smudge the ink. She read out loud:

Dear Fred and George,

I hope you two are all right. I heard business is doing well. We need a favor, so you see; we want to have a bit of fun tonight and tomorrow. We’re going to go out to Muggle London to (I guess you could call it) a party. We told your mum we’re going to stay at your place for tonight then go to the park tomorrow. Instead we’re going to get a hotel tonight, (Ron and I in one room, and Hermione and Ginny in another, so don’t worry) and then try our hardest to stay out all night long. Ginny keeps on insisting were long over due for a bit of sneaking out what with this entire war going on. That’s our plan! Please cover for us. Thanks!

We owe you one, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny

P.S. We might pay a visit to go over the details later; I hope it’s all right.

“Sounds good!” Ron said, looking over at Harry.

“Thanks, mate.” He took the letter from Ginny, being careful not to touch her hand ”Ginny noticed”and gave it to Hedwig to send.

“So, I guess we should get ready,” Hermione said weakly.

Chapter Endnotes: All reviews are appriciated since this is my first fan fic! I would love any critiques, complaints or comments.