Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just For Fun by PeaceLovePotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

Another big thank you to Mapoi. And I know that these first few chapters are moving slowly along, but I promise the plot will pick up. Warning: Sometimes songs remind me of the chapter I wrote, so I might do Playlists every once and a while. You don't have to listen to the songs, even though they are some of my favorites. Enjoy!


Playlist for Chapter Two, Meet Hermione the Jealous Guy's Fiancé:

Collide by Howie Day

Wreckless Love by Alicia Keys

Disclaimer: Not mine, even though I wish it was...


Meet Hermione, the Jealous Guy’s Fiancé

Ginny watched Hermione pace by a tree near the house. She could almost hear her mumbling to herself. But Hermione couldn’t back out now! They were just about to leave, and Ginny was so excited. Harry and Ron were pretty thrilled to get out of the house, too. Only Hermione could dwell on the bad in their adventure. She just needed to let loose. In the long run Hermione would be thankful when Ginny dragged her along, probably. Maybe Hermione needed to be pushed a little more, since her guilt and doubts were gnawing at her.

“What is she doing?” An all-too-familiar voice interrupted Ginny’s thoughts. She turned to look behind her. Harry walked towards Ginny, and gracefully perched himself on a rock next to where Ginny was sitting on a tree stump. Harry’s elbows were propped up against his knee. She could feel the heat radiating off of him. Ginny wanted to just reach over and grab his hand. Her fingers starting twitching so she crossed her arms preventing any other non-voluntary movement towards Harry. He was looking expectantly at Ginny, who stared back confused. What was he waiting for? She cocked her head to the side quizzically. Slowly a grin spread across his face. Oh, yeah…he asked a question. He’s just waiting for an answer.

“I guess she’s thinking,” Ginny finally answered, turning away from Harry chuckling at her sudden memory loss. She tried to hide her reddening face by letting her hair fall past her shoulder and cover her like a sheet. “If you two haven’t taken so long to get ready, then we could have left and she wouldn’t be worrying.”

“Oh, don’t you go blaming me! You know she would have been bothered by this no matter what,” he retorted, grinning.

“Where’s Ron?” Ginny asked, ignoring Harry as she tucked her blanket of hair behind her ear since a cool breeze had wiped the remains of her blush from her cheeks.

“I’m right here,” Ron said, walking towards them from the door of the Burrow. “Mum was giving me more warnings.” He sighed, stopped where Harry and Ginny were sitting, and then looked around. His eyes stopped when he saw Hermione walking back and forth.

“She’s nervous,” Ginny said, answering his unspoken question. Ron shook his head while rolling his eyes.

“Oi! Hermione, come on!” he yelled. She looked up, and hastily walked over towards Harry, Ginny and Ron. She absentmindedly moved her wand from one hand to the other, staring at the grassy ground.

“I don’t think I can do this!” she squeaked, coming to stand in front of them. “I’m sorry!”

“Hermione,” Harry started, but Ginny held up her hand stopping him.

“Why?” she asked quietly, trying to read her friend’s face.

“I…I don’t like this! I don’t like going against the rules, especially when these rules were made for a reason. There’s a war going on!” Hermione explained looking up to face them.

“We went through this already. We”are”safe! You’re just scared to have fun,” Ginny accused. Hermione’s eyes quickly found Ginny’s. Even though Ginny wasn’t adept at reading eyes, she could see confusion in Hermione’s. Behind the brown Ginny could see that Hermione, for once in her life, didn’t know the answer.

“That’s not true!”

“‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?’” Ginny quoted while boring her eyes into Hermione’s. They were all staring at her, surprised that she was quoting poetry”out of Hermione’s book no less. Hermione’s mouth was slightly agape in surprise. She closed it, cocked her head and her brown eyebrows pointed down in perplexity.

“You”you read the anthology on my night stand?” she asked quietly. Ron and Harry looked thoroughly confused.

“No, not really. Just a couple of poems, and I happened to cross that one. But it does apply, you know. You should let yourself be wild, gorgeous, crazy and fabulous once and awhile. Not just brilliant and talented,” Ginny said watching Hermione’s face twist in thought. Ginny smiled, satisfied.

“I guess we should get going then,” Hermione said while composing her face and picking up the duffle bag by her feet.

“I don’t know what you did, but it was bloody brilliant!” Ron whispered in Ginny’s ear. Ginny pulled away from his sticky, wet breath. It was totally different when Harry whispered in her ear. His breath was warm and tickled her ear. No, stop it! You can’t think about him like that anymore, Ginny scolded herself.

“So remember,” Hermione started while the others gathered their bags from the ground and Ginny pushed her internal battle aside, “we’re Apparating to the Amphibole Woods next to Hotel Amphibole on 1012 Walnut Road, all right?” Harry and Ron nodded.

“Are you ready?” Harry asked Ginny, stepping out in front of her and holding out his arm. Ginny took a deep calming breath and grabbed the offered arm obediently.

“I suppose it can’t be that bad,” she said to distract herself from the tingling sensation that was crawling up her arm from holding Harry’s wrist. I’ve held his hand before; it shouldn’t be weird, Ginny thought, trying to stop the swooping feeling that worked its way into her stomach.

“The first is the worst, but it gets better,” Ron said trying to sooth Ginny.

“Well seeing as this is my first time, that doesn’t help at all,” she mumbled, her voice getting higher in anxiety. Ginny had never Apparated before. Some people said it felt like you couldn’t breathe, or it squished your lungs together. Both of which never made Ginny think Apparating could be all that pleasant. Her nails dug into Harry’s forearm. They all agreed Harry would do Side-Along Apparation with Ginny, since neither Hermione nor Ron ever tried it.

“Could’ya lighten up a bit?” Harry asked, looking down at Ginny. Her stomach did a back flip and she loosened her grip.

“Well, here we go,” Hermione said, and with a loud pop she vanished. Ginny squeezed onto Harry tighter, ignoring his request, because according to plan they were next. She took a deep breath, but before she knew it, it was gone. All around her was bone-crushing blackness. It was like tight metal chains were weaving their way around her body, and knocking the breath out of her. Then the blackness vanished, and cool air filled Ginny’s empty lungs. With another noisy pop Ron appeared beside them.

“So, how’d you like it?” Harry asked while they followed Hermione on a path through the thickly grown trees.

“It was…an experience,” she answered thinking of the uncomfortable choking feeling. Harry chuckled.

“Hermione,” Ron started as he sped up to walk next to her, “will there be food there?”

Hermione laughed, though Ginny couldn’t see her face because she and Harry were lagging behind. Ginny heard the beginning of Hermione’s lecture to Ron about how everything is not about food, but the wind soon silenced their voices.

Harry’s hand swiftly brushed against Ginny’s. She felt her heart race at this simple contact, as her head swam with images of her grabbing Harry’s hand, and him not caring. But she didn’t. Ginny pushed the fantasies aside and breathed in and out slowly. Ginny noticed how that Harry seemed to be unaffected with their brief contingence. She bit down on her lip hard trying not to overanalyze this. Just because he didn’t show he felt anything doesn’t mean he didn’t feel anything, she told herself. But I shouldn’t care if he still has feelings about me. I mean we’re over. Broken up. Done.

“Ginny?” Harry asked taking his eyes from the dirt path and moving them to her face.

“Hmmm?” she wondered meeting his eyes.

“Your lip’s bleeding,” he said, pulling a napkin from his pocket and handing it to her. Her face steadily reddened as Ginny carefully took the cloth, avoiding his hands.

A few minutes later Harry and Ginny reached the end of the forest to find Ron and Hermione laughing hysterically. Since neither Harry nor Ginny caught their joke, they began brushing leaves and twigs off their clothes. After the strange laughter subsided, Hermione led them inside the hotel.

“What were you two laughing about back there?” Ginny asked as she caught up with Hermione. She started giggling again but sternly pressed her lips together in an attempt to stop.

“Nothing,” Hermione managed to choke out before she strode up to the hotel’s front desk. Ginny raised an eyebrow as she followed, looking around eagerly.

Hotel Amphibole had beautifully polished cream-colored floors. There were flights of stairs, with brass handle rails. Potted plants stood against the walls. Behind them was a small counter with coffee and tea neatly placed on top. Behind that was a spacey room dotted with armchairs, couches, and coffee tables. On the wall opposite the largest couch was a big-screened square mirror with flashing pictures on it. Probably some Muggle contraption, Ginny thought.

“Hello Miss, welcome to the Hotel Amphibole,” the clerk said smilingly at Hermione. He wore a green vest, and button up shirt. The clerk was very tan with a brilliantly white toothy smile. He would have been handsome but he had a rather large nose for the size of his face. “How may I help you?” he asked Hermione with a wink. She dimly blushed.

“My fiancé and I would like two rooms for tonight,” Ron ordered, sliding around Ginny to place an arm around Hermione, who was looking at Ron incredulously. The clerk looked over at Ron menacingly.

“Two rooms?” he asked, smirking.

“Yes one for me and my bride-to-be and one for these two,” Ron said motioning to Harry and Ginny now behind them, but still staring down the hotel worker. Ron is so possessive, Ginny thought, And a little crazy. Their plan was for Ginny and Hermione to share one room, and Ron and Harry a different one. Hermione actually wanted them to be on separate floors. The clerk nodded solemnly, and stared down at a mini-Muggle contraption like the one Ginny saw in the lobby. It started making weird clicking and beeping noises.

“That will be two hundred and sixty three pounds,” the clerk said, glaring daggers at Ron. Hermione rolled her eyes, as Ron’s grip tightened. But, Ginny noticed, the corners of her lips were twitching trying to control her smile. She detached herself from Ron, reaching into her pants pocket to get her wallet.

Hermione pulled out thin, square papers. Counting them between her fingers, she froze when she finished. Forcing herself to grin politely at the clerk, she turned to face Harry.

“Do you have Mug- I mean…more money?” she asked still grinning a little madly.

“I only have the…uh…other…er,” Harry stuttered, “No, sorry.” Hermione sighed, turning back to the clerk.

“I guess we’ll just have one room then,” Hermione said blushing slightly as Ron’s arm dropped.

“One room?” Ron asked turning towards Harry and Ginny fuming. Ginny rolled her eyes knowing where this conversation was going.

“Oh please, Ron! Like anything is going to happen with you and Hermione there! Well, not like it would if you weren’t there because we’re…um…yeah,” Ginny said lamely, her face on fire. She could feel Harry fidgeting next to her.

“Four keys, please!” Hermione said, quickly breaking the awkward silence. The clerk handed her four small laminated cards. She picked them up, and handed them out.

“You’re in room four hundred and thirty six. Have a good night,” the clerk called after them scathingly. The blush still hadn’t left Ginny’s face, so she looked down at the floor as they made their way towards a golden door.

“Shouldn’t we go up the stairs?” Ron asked.

“No, we’re using the elevator,” Hermione answered, “please play along.” She looked a little worried, probably because playing Muggle is hard thing for the Weasleys. The golden metal door parted down the middle. Ginny gasped and Ron cocked his head to the side. “You have to walk inside of it,” Hermione whispered nudging, Ginny in the back.

“I’m not going in that thing!” Ron whispered fiercely.

“Go!” Hermione demanded, still whispering. Ginny cautiously entered. “Don’t worry. They’re like the lifts at the Ministry, I promise.” As Ginny entered, she was surprised that Muggles used the same thing wizards did for moving floor to floor. The doors shut, and Harry pressed a few buttons on the wall. The lift began to move.

“Ron, what the hell was that about?” Hermione asked furiously now that they were confined in the elevator.

“What?”

“I’m your fiancé?” she shrieked

“That bloke was looking at you funny!”

“So saying that we’re getting married helped that because?”

The elevator doors opened and Harry and Ginny shot out, while Ron and Hermione bickered behind them. With Harry in the lead they found the hotel room. He took the plastic card and pushed it in a slot. There was a low beep, and Harry held open the door. Ginny smiled appreciatively at Harry. She stood grinning like crazy, and then remembered he was holding the door open for her and she stepped inside, feeling her face heat up.

She walked across the room and sat on the king sized bed. Ginny pulled off her shoes and carelessly threw them to the side. Leaning back on the soft pillows, she examined the room. The big bed she was now resting on had golden covers with patterns in red. Very Gryffindor, Ginny thought. The squishy carpet was maroon, and the walls and ceilings were painted creamy beige with flowery print on the borders. Across from the bed sat a large wooden dresser. The cabinet drawers were partly opened and Ginny could see another one of those picture flashing Muggle machines. Next to the dresser was a dark mahogany desk with notepads, pencils and a chair. There was also an awfully uncomfortable looking red armchair with a matching footstool. Ginny looked to her left and noticed a closet and a bathroom. Overall the room was quite small, and would make it very hard for four teenagers to sleep contentedly.

“I doubt it, Ron,” Hermione said, walking through the door that Harry was still holding open.

“That’s because you fancy him!” Ron called, storming into the room. Hermione rolled her eyes and sat on the bed next to Ginny.

“Well this will be interesting,” said Hermione, ignoring Ron completely.

“You reckon?” Harry asked, walking around the room to sit on Ginny’s right. Ginny squirmed around trying to find a comfortable position where her and Harry’s arms weren’t touching so she could focus. But no such luck happened, and Ginny was forced to enjoy the tingling feeling running up and down her right arm.

“Look at this room! How are we going to fit?” Hermione looked at Ginny questioningly then jumped off the bed and walked over towards the desk.

“Ron can sleep on the floor,” Ginny offered sweetly. Ron turned towards Ginny with narrowed eyes.

“We can talk sleeping arrangements later!” he snapped. “How long has it been since we left?”

“Only thirty minutes,” Harry answered, checking his watch, which caused more unwanted but still pleasurable contact with Ginny. Goosebumps formed on her arm, as Ginny tried to concentrate on not concentrating on Harry’s elbow near hers.

“Then I should probably get going,” Hermione said, fishing around in her pocket for her wand.

“Why so early?” Ginny asked.

“First I’m going to Fred and George’s to make sure they’re going along with this mess, and then I have to visit your mum. Remember every hour one of us has to go to the Burrow!” Hermione said turning to Ron and Harry. “That means NO drinking! Mrs. Weasley would go crazy if we showed up drunk!”

“We can’t get sloshed?” Ron asked disappointed. He trudged over to the armchair and flopped down.

“No!” Hermione snapped, shoving her bag over her shoulder.

“Actually, you three can’t get sloshed, but since I can’t pop over to mum and dad’s, I’m perfectly free to”” Ginny began, but was quickly cut off by yells of protest.

“Ginny, you’re not drinking anything except pumpkin juice tonight!” Ron shouted.

“You’re not even of age, it’s illegal!” Hermione shrieked.

“We’ll have fun without getting sloshed, I promise,” Harry whispered, placing a piece of her flaming red hair behind her ear, while the other two continued shouting at Ginny. At Harry’s touch chills climbed up her back but he pulled away quickly, leaving Ginny shaking her head to rid of the fantasies creeping up on her again.

“Fine,” Ginny said rolling her eyes.

“All right, now you three get ready and I’ll be back in a bit,” Hermione said, finally finding her wand. “Be good!” With that, she turned on the spot only to leave behind a loud crack.

“So, I’m taking a nap. Now you two, be good!” Ron said, mocking Hermione. He cracked a smile at his impression skills and flopped across the bed, knocking Harry and Ginny off.

“That’s sweet of you Ron,” Ginny grumped turning away from her brother and towards Harry. “I’m going to take a quick shower. And you should get ready, or else Hermione will have a meltdown when she comes back.” She walked across the room taking in a deep breath of Harry’s husky scent, and grabbed some clothes and toiletries. Ginny felt an emerald green gaze following her as she moved about the room.

“What?” she asked, finally looking up at Harry. His eyes swallowed her whole as she stared back into them. They stood in silence. Not an awkward silence or a comforting one, just a waiting, patient silence. Ginny thought her knees would give out soon. Harry’s eyes were mesmerizing, and breathtaking, well actually knee-taking. Thoughts of collapsing were pushed to the side as Harry walked towards her.

He walked closer and closer, passing the line of a friendly distance, then passing the line of the personal bubble. But Ginny didn’t care, she just watched slightly confused, and very excited. She had to remind herself to that he wasn’t her boyfriend and she couldn’t just jump into his arms. So she focused on breathing steadily. Harry picked up a piece of her hair gingerly. Ginny almost wanted to warn him her hair was a mess. It was full of knots and frizzed out, thus the shower. But it didn’t seem to matter to him. Ginny’s chest pounded with longing for what she knew she couldn’t have.

He carefully picked something out of her hair, but all Ginny saw was his green eyes.

“Sorry,” he breathed, and handed her the paper that was dislodged from her hair. His warm breath hit her face, and she closed her eyes. Ginny reached up and took the crumpled paper. Her heart was aching, as she placed her hand by her side. She bit her lip hard, fighting the tears springing up in her eyes.

“You can’t do this anymore, it’s not fair,” Ginny whispered, before turning away and walking into the bathroom. She closed the door softly and lent back against the white wood. Her knees finally gave out and she slid down the door landing with a thud on the tile. Clutching her stomach, Ginny gasped for breath. Her body felt hollowed out, since Ginny’s heart was on the other side of the door, it’s owner calling her name.

Chapter Endnotes: The poem that Ginny quotes is "Our Greatest Fear" by Marianne Williamson. I'm going to explain Ginny's little meltdown in chapter three. If you want to say anything about this story or chapter (even if you don't want to) please review. I love hearing feedback, even if it's negative!